We need to make a big statement in the transfer market

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
...and no I’m not saying we need to spaff a massive war chest.

At some point we need to say no and miss out on a primary target to send a message that we’re not desperate and we’re not going to be bullied. It’s all well and good saying that we have 3 targets for each position but it seems a bit pointless when we always get tunnel vision and end up pursuing our primary target all summer, eventually paying close to if not the asking price.

We need to call a selling clubs bluff once or twice and leave them with their dick in their hand. I realise that means missing out on a key player or two but our scouting department should ensure that we have a suitable alternative. We should be working much harder to get a reputation of tough negotiators who walk away if they believe the asking price is not reasonable.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That only works if you have a good enough squad to fall back on.

Right now we aren't in that position, but we are close.

Missing out on Sancho will only spite us in the long run, Dortmund won't be worried.

SwedishFish

And buy Douglas Costa? or Kingsley Coman? or Ousmane Dembele?

Yeah some statement that, we'll not buy your overpriced talent and settle for this injury-ridden bench merchant of an established Champions League club.

I'd be inclined to agree with your point but for this particular position and in this particular case I certainly don't agree. The drop-off in quality is frankly massive.

padzilla

Hipster
The biggest and best statement we could make is we won't be held to ransom by clubs who see us a soft touch that will pay fees that other clubs don't have to pay.

-Supreme-

Will we win the league with Sancho next season? No

Will we get top 4 without Sancho? Yes

Let BVB keep him for another season and invest the money in other positions

Skills

Snitch
Need to get better at some of the backroom stuff. Need players kicking up more of a fuss to leave their clubs. Put the seller in a position of keeping a visibly disgruntled player or being more reasonable.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The problem is that United has this tendency of neglecting a position so much that they eventually need to splash the cash.

A quality CM was needed in 2016, hence the Pogba transfer. Now the right wing position clearly needs to be addressed.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We did that with Bruno last summer, only to go back to sporting with cap in hand a few months later due to how poor our season was going.

If we need something on the pitch, everyone can see it. We can’t really pretend we aren’t desperate if everyone can see we are.

Robertd0803

The best thing we can do is sign Sancho regardless. Thats a statement. He will have more impact on the pitch than us posturing or making a point in the transfer window to other clubs.

Plus if we move on to alternatives every team in Europe knows we were willing to spend big on Sancho so that will artifically inflate the values of Costa etc anyway.

Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and get the job done regardless. We all laughed at Liverpool getting caught tapping up Van Dijk and then spending what a lot of us thought was insane money at the time on him but that worked out pretty well in the end for them. I dont think any Liverpool fan cares about that now somehow.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

At some point we need to say no and miss out on a primary target to send a message that we’re not desperate and we’re not going to be bullied. It’s all well and good saying that we have 3 targets for each position but it seems a bit pointless when we always get tunnel vision and end up pursuing our primary target all summer, eventually paying close to if not the asking price.

We need to call a selling clubs bluff once or twice and leave them with their dick in their hand. I realise that means missing out on a key player or two but our scouting department should ensure that we have a suitable alternative. We should be working much harder to get a reputation of tough negotiators who walk away if they believe the asking price is not reasonable.
I actually agree with this, despite the fact that I think we need to invest heavily in our squad this summer.

I also think we need to do the same thing with our squad. Marcos Rojo is paid better than some of the best players in the Premier League. The club need to cut out the silly contract renewals and daft pay bumps.

romufc

Sending a message by walking away for me sends the wrong message. Yes it may send a message that we over pay. We have already done that with AWB, Maguire, Fred etc in the past.

We need to send a message that Manutd means business, and sign Sancho.

When Real wanted Ronaldo, they paid the price, same with Barca with Neymar etc.

When a elite player is available, getting him sends more of a message. We can walk away from that deal, someone signs him for a higher price next summer and we are made to look like fools when he does well for our rivals.

This is not Alexis Sanchez, he is a 20 year old talent.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Sign the player you want. If you want to make a statement like you suggest leak a false target, have a chat with the club concerned and walk away. Job done.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
as long as we dont have another summer like chasing thiago and letting fellaini's buyout clause expire then going back and paying more for fellaini then Ill take that as a good enough statement that we have got a bit better in the transfer market

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The problem is that United has this tendency of neglecting a position so much that they eventually need to splash the cash.

A quality CM was needed in 2016, hence the Pogba transfer. Now the right wing position clearly needs to be addressed.
Not sure we've ever replaced Scholes...

yamo123x

To make a big statement in the transfer market, you actually need to close some deals and not make them long drawn out sagas playing into the media's hands but we seem unable to do this. We have become a little bit of a laughing stock for our transfer dealings.

I remember our deal to sign Nani and Anderson, completely left field, completely out of the blue.... nowadays our business is common knowledge just to get views and clicks... are we leaking the info? Is it all mind games with selling clubs...?? Is ED tighter than a gnat's ass? Do we not have the funds available as we are meant to believe?

I think we have said for about 5 seasons we need to have a good summer transfer window, get business done early and get squad together before pre-season. Yet again it looks like our dealings are going to be long drawn out and left to the last minute.

If we want Sancho, Grealish and Koulibaly to improve the first team go and get them...make a statement.

Move on deadwood squad players and hangers on like Rojo, Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Smalling, Mata, Dalot and integrate young talent into the first team back up like Menghi, Levitt, Mjebri, Garner, Chong......

Flying high

Missing out on Sancho will only spite us in the long run, Dortmund won't be worried.

I agree totally with both posts. We absolutely need to make a stand at some point, but missing out on Sancho would be a mistake.

It's rare that a player is so obviously what we need. After this purchase, I'd be happy to go for 2nd or 3rd choices for a couple of seasons.

GlasgowCeltic

It’s pointless unless they can find someone of sufficient quality for cheaper. Walking away from Hazard resulted in Young

Stretender

It's a good point and I agree with it, but what you need is a competent negotiating team- basically a better set up than we currently have. It's already been discussed here but United could benefit from having a Director of Football who should be in charge of an excellent scouting system. We all know United want Sancho but beyond that I would be surprised if they sign anyone that would be like Wow what a surprise. I can see us signing Glen Murray and Mc Ginn from Aston Villa. Not that I want us to sign them but I have no high hopes when it comes to our scouting and recruiting Department. Chasing Josh King on transfer deadline made me realise how useless our scouts and recruiters are.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I agree totally with both posts. We absolutely need to make a stand at some point, but missing out on Sancho would be a mistake.

It's rare that a player is so obviously what we need. After this purchase, I'd be happy to go for 2nd or 3rd choices for a couple of seasons.
Exactly, if it's a squad player like Daniel James then yeah great, give them a price and if they're taking the piss move on. But a genuinely top class young English talent? it's like going from a Wagyu steak to Tescos own brand.

Verminator

When it comes to one-off talents, pay what it takes, if you really want that player.
Where you put your foot down, is when buying a player that has plenty of peers, which you can pursue as an alternative.

Our problem hasn't been getting fleeced for top quality. If that is what you get, the cost is immaterial.
The problem is when you overpay for the unremarkable.
Is Maguire the best in the world, in his position? Is James the best forward the championship had to offer? And they aren’t even really failures, but are they vastly superior to players who move for much, much less?

That is when you cut your cloth to suit.

Machine Elements

Good luck with that after overpaying for nearly every single player we signed in the last 7 years. We need to learn a thing or two from Bayern on how to negotiate & close a deal early.

DarkLord

Will we win the league with Sancho next season? No

Will we get top 4 without Sancho? Yes

Let BVB keep him for another season and invest the money in other positions
Pretty much this. Unless we're talking about Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Mbappe signing, I don't think it's necessary to sign Sancho this summer.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Dortmunds grandstanding over a player that came to them for free is for some reason starting to really, really annoy me. Probably has to do with the notion of greed in a covid-19 economy where matchday income is severely impacted. I actually don't mind the fee itself, but its the lack of will to negotiate the upfront free, reports indicate they want as much as £90m upfront, which is just insane.

Glorio

Sign the player you want. If you want to make a statement like you suggest leak a false target, have a chat with the club concerned and walk away. Job done.
:lol: Effective, but heavily dubious and cruel. Particularly if the supposed sellers and player are not in on it!

My view is that we've been hearing for half a year that Sancho is our number one target (and Ole doesn't want an alternative). If he truly is, it suggests they believe he'll massively elevate us. If we can afford it, we should just pay the price. If we can't, nothing the club can do, publicly and clearly wash your hands and walk away - we'll just have to settle for an alternative regardless.

Again, if we can afford it (while being able to sort out the other problem areas), if getting the player will ultimately help us to recoup the outlay by making us more successful on the pitch and commercially, it makes no sense to try and make a statement.

We can make negotiation statements with less critical additions, especially where the difference in quality between the first choice and the alternatives is not huge.

Siorac

We made the statement of missing out on transfer targets over money plenty of time. l wouldn't say that not signing Hazard because of agent fees did us any good.

Siorac

Dortmunds grandstanding over a player that came to them for free is for some reason starting to really, really annoy me. Probably has to do with the notion of greed in a covid-19 economy where matchday income is severely impacted. I actually don't mind the fee itself, but its the lack of will to negotiate the upfront free, reports indicate they want as much as £90m upfront, which is just insane.
They paid €10m for him at the age of 17.

Why wouldn't they want the best possible price for their best player? I still don't understand how people can blame Dortmund for, well, representing their own interests as opposed to ours.

sparx99

Football transfers don’t work in the way that buying from a shop does. There will always be a different price for different teams. As one of the wealthiest teams in the world we get rinsed. I honestly couldn’t care less other than if the price affects the players confidence.
Unfortunately, Barca and Real Madrid and Bayern use their allure and prestige more effectively. Bayern can convince young Germans to sign on a free. The Spanish two seem to attract players who ‘dream’ of playing for them.
We need to get players to kick up a fuss more I think if we want to pay less.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I can assure you rival fans and teams would appreciate us missing out on Sancho more than the other way around. I do agree with the overall sentiment but Sancho is a special special player and well worth £100 million.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
:lol: Effective, but heavily dubious and cruel. Particularly if the supposed sellers and player are not in on it!

My view is that we've been hearing for half a year that Sancho is our number one target (and Ole doesn't want an alternative). If he truly is, it suggests they believe he'll massively elevate us. If we can afford it, we should just pay the price. If we can't, nothing the club can do, publicly and clearly wash your hands and walk away - we'll just have to settle for an alternative regardless.

Again, if we can afford it (while being able to sort out the other problem areas), if getting the player will ultimately help us to recoup the outlay by making us more successful on the pitch and commercially, it makes no sense to try and make a statement.

We can make negotiation statements with less critical additions, especially where the difference in quality between the first choice and the alternatives is not huge.
I'd do it to Real Madrid - they deserve it :)

sparx99

Why wouldn't they want the best possible price for their best player? I still don't understand how people can blame Dortmund for, well, representing their own interests as opposed to ours.
I’ve said in the Sancho thread it’s a bit frustrating because Pulisic and Aubameyang were their best players and sold for £56-58m. Why such a disparity?

Also, other comparable young transfers seem to be much lower. For example, Frenkie De Jong& De Ligt.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't really see how a club like Dortmund putting a value on a player and being stead-fast in that is "bullying" us.

They have him, he has a contract with them, we want him, they set the price.

I’ve said in the Sancho thread it’s a bit frustrating because Pulisic and Aubameyang were their best players and sold for £56-58m. Why such a disparity?

Also, other comparable young transfers seem to be much lower. For example, Frenkie De Jong& De Ligt.
Yeah but they also sold Dembele for well over 100 million... and Pulisic wasn't putting up numbers anywhere near what Sancho does for them.

flappyjay

Football transfers don’t work in the way that buying from a shop does. There will always be a different price for different teams. As one of the wealthiest teams in the world we get rinsed. I honestly couldn’t care less other than if the price affects the players confidence.
Unfortunately, Barca and Real Madrid and Bayern use their allure and prestige more effectively. Bayern can convince young Germans to sign on a free. The Spanish two seem to attract players who ‘dream’ of playing for them.
We need to get players to kick up a fuss more I think if we want to pay less.
I would say only Bayern use their prestige effectively. Madrid haven't been spending eye watering amounts and focusing on recruiting teenagers because they had a very strong squad for 6-7 years. Barca have been paying through the nose for flops, they have overtaken us in terms of poor transfers.

Amerifan

From the thread title I was getting all fired up to argue, but I completely agree with what you say.

Damn.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Ah my bad, must have forgotten that medium important detail. Still, 10m euro nearly 3 years ago (he signed Aug 31st 2017) , and 120m euro now, that is some solid investment. Minus MCFC's sell-on fee.

I actually do write in the post that I don't mind the fee though, so why do you write as if I do? What irks me is the lack of negotiation goodwill on Dortmunds part (allegedly).

I'm sure I don't have to explain to you that negotiations are called just that for a reason, this isn't some scenario where you go to the grocery store and pay what the price says for a can of soda. Dortmund are not budging from a price set in a non-financially impacted market, which is their right, but not being willing to play ball with the upfront fee is a little.. bad taste. This is all allegedly though from the various outlets.

The bit that frustrates me is that 120 million is the starting point. Not being willing to discuss upfront fees and structure is first of all weird, and will absolutely damage the relationship between the clubs in the future on an executive level. Sancho is important for Manchester United's immediate future, Dortmund being willing to "help out" so to speak with the structure of the financial package would go a very long way to appease MUFC's brass and make them more willing negotiation partners in the future.

Now, I know that Dortmund are in their right to demand what they want. But I also happen to negotiate contracts with suppliers and manufacturers for a living and there is always something to give and take.

Dortmunds public posturing is just weird, all the time the've had players go on strike to get away from the club in the past for this very reason.

El-Manos

Exactly. Liverpool and city have the liberty to act like that in the transfer market. We don’t.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

Agree fully. We're basically the useful idiot of world football. The well-run clubs and agents inevitably use our 'interest' to suit their agendas, and I assume Ed is fine with it because it means we get our hashtag trending and name in SEO searches.

You look at how we used to do business - no one would know a thing and then Evra/Vidic, or Nani/Hargreaves/Ando would just show up for a picture together. Today it's harder, but look at City - two targets, two days, done. And not at crazy prices.

I know Ed isn't our negotiator anymore, but it's his fault we're in this mess, and the only solution is to bring in someone completely new as dof, and use that transition to throw himself under the bus, saying it's a new United and we're no longer the mugs.

Skills

Snitch
Let's make a £200m bid for Messi. Then wait for Barcelona to turn it down and stand firm.

RonaldoVII

Isn't this what led to Jose being sacked? We missed out on key targets and left the squad a mess so Jose cried and it all fell apart.

Ceteris

It's clear that we have overpaid at times in the transfer market, it doesn't mean we should punish ourselves at the wrong time.

Would Dortmund sell cheaper to any other team? Probably not looking at Dembele to Barca

They have developed a really good player and if we want him we know the price

All the comments and pandering on here won't change a thing.

Aguero, torres, David silva, Michael Essien, Hazard. A few players we missed out on for other reasons but look at the impact they made

Reactions: VeevaVee