We need to talk about our defence...

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Said it a couple of weeks ago, but has Maguire actually improved us that much? I don't think he has personally.

Certainly not to the required level, anyway.

bp19992

Said it a couple of weeks ago, but has Maguire actually improved us that much? I don't think he has personally.

Certainly not to the required level, anyway.
I think the one thing that has improved this season is the passing around the back. I absolutely hated the hoofing we did every time we had the ball when Mourinho was in charge. Defending wise I'd say Smalling is probably better than anything we have right now, but he can't really pass a ball.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Incredible touch but wtf was Young and Fred doing? They were going in the opposite direction of our fecking goal! :lol:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Joint 4th fewest goals conceded in the league. It might not be fantastic but it's nowhere near being our main problem.
Doesn't matter how bad the rest of the league are. We are conceding a goal every game. It's guaranteed that the opposition will score against us and that's just embarrassingly bad.

Rabbiz

Incredible touch but wtf was Young and Fred doing? They were going in the opposite direction of our fecking goal! :lol:
It as quite a bit of skill by Dele. Not sure anyone was expecting that. If one, or both of them, had dropped toward the goal and Dele had drilled it in by just feathering it down someone would've been on them about that. You can't defend against skill. I am worried about or defence though. We concede to many goals.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We only conceded 2 shots in the first half with one was an on target which was the goal. We did well defensively in that first half, one sloppy moment we were punished by an incredible touch.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We were defending very well today, conceded goal yes but we need to see the bigger picture. We barely let Spurs even have a chance to score which is why our less expected goals has been the best one in the league. Conceded goal or big chances from sloppy play like giving the ball away in dangerous position especially midfield means defense won’t be in a good position to defend.

Last edited:

Irwin99

Thought centre backs did really well, helped by Fred and McTom. AWB and Young were very mixed.

A-man

There is a live documentary about poor defence on TV right now. Title: Liverpool-Everton.

dev1l

Thought centre backs did really well, helped by Fred and McTom. AWB and Young were very mixed.
Having a "good filter" in front of the backline helps.McT and Fred were tops today

Walters_19_MuFc

Felt the were class tonight. Hardly gave Spurs a sniff. Kane was anonymous! Saying that, he normally is against us. As I said before, though, a back four is only as good as the midfield in front of you and Fred and McTominay were absolutely solid tonight.

Zed 101

Left back is still a concern, would happily see Tuanzebe in there in front of Young, Shaw etc.

Irwin99

Having a "good filter" in front of the backline helps.McT and Fred were tops today
Yeah, that core in the centre was key to winning the match. I think our full backs aren't helping as much as they should. AWB and Young had their moments both good and bad but I think they're the biggest defensive weakness at the moment.

A-man

I was near enough have a heart attack every time they attacked. They just all make me nervous at the moment.
It’s ok to feel like that when the opposite team attack with Harry Kane, Alli, Son and Lucas Moura.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Another same scenario as per usual. We didn’t get a clean sheet but the defense still did very well today.

Teja

Least of problems I’d say. First choice back four is solid enough for a top 4 side with title aspirations. We have reasonable amount of depth as well, but maybe replacing Jones / Rojo / Bailly with some young blood will be better.