Television We Own this City

lsd

The Oracle
New show from David Simon and some familiar faces and setting for all fans of The Wire

Deery

Dreary
Which channel is this in the UK? Was that Milo I saw?

lsd

The Oracle
Not gonna bother until its completed

Starting a series from scratch and waiting years for it to finish is a pain in the arse.

It may not go past the first season as it's based on true events and all the characters are real people

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It may not go past the first season as it's based on true events and all the characters are real people
We never know. Spin off etc. And the shit thing about these days tv is that they always never end it properly hoping someone will pick them up

Still reeling Kim convenience dont even have any ending to it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
We never know. Spin off etc. And the shit thing about these days tv is that they always never end it properly hoping someone will pick them up

Still reeling Kim convenience dont even have any ending to it.
It's a miniseries based on a book and on a specific event, so it's very unlikely it'll be more than one season. I'd have to disagree on your assessment of TV "these days". If anything I'd say it's the opposite, where it was more common for TV shows today to continue endlessly and more common for them today to have defined beginnings and ends. Almost everything HBO does is well planned as well, so I wouldn't worry.

SirAnderson

Not gonna bother until its completed

Starting a series from scratch and waiting years for it to finish is a pain in the arse.
Used to be the same few years back, but have had to change up because I can't wait 3 4 years anymore. Used to wait for at least 3 or 4 season before I started. Will wait till season 1 is finished, watch and then forget about it till the next one and watch a recap when the new drops.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's a miniseries based on a book and on a specific event, so it's very unlikely it'll be more than one season. I'd have to disagree on your assessment of TV "these days". If anything I'd say it's the opposite, where it was more common for TV shows today to continue endlessly and more common for them today to have defined beginnings and ends. Almost everything HBO does is well planned as well, so I wouldn't worry.
Yeah, after taking a closer look you're right.

I'm hyped.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Used to be the same few years back, but have had to change up because I can't wait 3 4 years anymore. Used to wait for at least 3 or 4 season before I started. Will wait till season 1 is finished, watch and then forget about it till the next one and watch a recap when the new drops.
I actually find that the wait enhances the experience. I remember agonizingly waiting for episodes of Battlestar Galactica, and particularly during the mid-season breaks and between seasons. It was a struggle, but it made the the resulting product even better. It also allowed me to participate in discussions about what the meaning of what had happened was, and what would come next. As far as I recall this is the exact thing that made Lost such a phenomenon. I think it was the first TV series which I'd go to school and excitedly discuss with my classmates. Game of Thrones probably replicated that, though it failed to end it even worse than Lost had (Battlestar Galactica coincidentally also had a bad ending).

Maybe I feel that way because I grew up reading The Wheel of Time, which had a massive online community dedicated to figuring out every little piece of the puzzle (it helps that there's a massive amount of foreshadowing, prophecies, visions, etc. in the series). I know Brandon Sanderson's books have much the same going on, and of course his books are nearly all in a shared universe, so there are a lot of small details to discuss for those who want to.

Two current TV series that gave me that feeling are Raised by Wolves (season 2 just finished on HBO Max) and Severance (first season almost over on Apple TV+). After every episode I'll go to the subreddits and read theories and see what I missed. I could wait a few years and then binge all the episodes at once, but I'd miss the experience.

SirAnderson

I actually find that the wait enhances the experience. I remember agonizingly waiting for episodes of Battlestar Galactica, and particularly during the mid-season breaks and between seasons. It was a struggle, but it made the the resulting product even better. It also allowed me to participate in discussions about what the meaning of what had happened was, and what would come next. As far as I recall this is the exact thing that made Lost such a phenomenon. I think it was the first TV series which I'd go to school and excitedly discuss with my classmates. Game of Thrones probably replicated that, though it failed to end it even worse than Lost had (Battlestar Galactica coincidentally also had a bad ending).

Maybe I feel that way because I grew up reading The Wheel of Time, which had a massive online community dedicated to figuring out every little piece of the puzzle (it helps that there's a massive amount of foreshadowing, prophecies, visions, etc. in the series). I know Brandon Sanderson's books have much the same going on, and of course his books are nearly all in a shared universe, so there are a lot of small details to discuss for those who want to.

Two current TV series that gave me that feeling are Raised by Wolves (season 2 just finished on HBO Max) and Severance (first season almost over on Apple TV+). After every episode I'll go to the subreddits and read theories and see what I missed. I could wait a few years and then binge all the episodes at once, but I'd miss the experience.
Yeah this came up in Pogue's (I think) thread on binge or weekly. I much prefer the binge, or more specifically, watching it at my own pace, as I'm not one to do theorizing and discussion while watching, I like to do it after I've watched it all and then see if the views are have are different or similar or pick up on anything I've missed.
Like right now, I am waiting for Severance to finish before I start watching, then will come to the cafe thread when it's done to see others thinking about it etc.

peridigm

Looks to be a great show from the 2' teaser. Too bad it's only a limited six-hour series.

I spotted Bunk, Herc, and Jay Landsman. Any others?

Marlo too. :lol: he's the one in the OP video above.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Good first episode. Even more Wire alums than who the trailers showed.

Bernthal is so compelling.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just finished our rewatch of The Wire so will start this soon.

facund

Watched the first two episodes.

Good pacing although I am still coming to terms with the shifting timeline.
It has "The Wire" vibe which made it very easy to initially engage with and there are little easter eggs along the way.

Marlo is good value in his new role. The man hasn't aged, they just stuck a beard on him!

Will now wait for the series to finish so that I can binge it, seems best suited to that approach.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Man those cop were something else. How the feck can they have the heart to plant an evidence and sent someone locked away for years on a whim.

But i feel the series is kinda balanced and we can see both sides of perspective. If we have no idea Jenkins was dirty we could have seen a different movie

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Man those cop were something else. How the feck can they have the heart to plant an evidence and sent someone locked away for years on a whim.

But i feel the series is kinda balanced and we can see both sides of perspective. If we have no idea Jenkins was dirty we could have seen a different movie
Thank you for the reminder

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
My man crush on Jon Bernthal is through the fecking ceiling. If his acting is anything close to the real Jenkins, that guy was a right cnut (but beloved in certain circles, no doubt).

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
My man crush on Jon Bernthal is through the fecking ceiling. If his acting is anything close to the real Jenkins, that guy was a right cnut (but beloved in certain circles, no doubt).
The way he handle the riots. I could see why he's loved by his comrade, or at least respected by some.

It's easy to feel disgusted watching his action in television with full hindsight. But if you're fellow cops who faced abuses and people mouthing off you'll probably be turned into one of them eventually. It really takes s special courage and integrity to be the clean cop in Baltimore based on this series.

What he said about overtime and actually producing the goods is logical, and positioning myself as cops i could see his points.

And it's easy to be swayed by easy money, 5-10k a pop from people you know are guilty anyway. You'll start rationalizing internally an before you know it you're jenkins

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Brilliant acting from Marlo :eek:

Wasn't really a fan of the fat civil rights lady segments. Her dialogues with others felt like David Simon preaching to us.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I think Bernthal overdoes it a little bit to be honest. There was one episode where his constant macho bullshit started snowing me.

But yeah, otherwise I'm enjoying the show.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I think it's really slow. Obviously because it has to stay true to the source material there's little licence to embellish anything but anyone expecting anything on par with The Wire will be disappointed I feel.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I think it's really slow. Obviously because it has to stay true to the source material there's little licence to embellish anything but anyone expecting anything on par with The Wire will be disappointed I feel.
You arent a fan of slow burners, I think I remember you saying the same shit about Better Call Saul/Breaking Bad

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I thought it was underwhelming. I guess it being based on real events and characters leaves little room for creative freedom. Bernthal’s character was way OTT stereotypical i thought. Makes me curious if he was really as obnoxious and annoying in real life.