We were a ticking time bomb

croadyman

The absolute over reaction by some on this forum is staggering.

Don’t get me wrong, I was raging last night, about the manner of our defeat, the team we lost to and the humiliation of doing so given the season they are having, the frustration of dropping points compared to city - but you know what? It happens. It’s one game. 3pts.
We’re still 2nd, we can still challenge for the league, and we can still have a good season.
It’s not like it hasn’t happened before. Anyone remember 6-3 against Southampton and the embarrassing debacle of the invisible grey shirts?? We won the league then too.
Take a breath. We go again at the weekend - let’s hope we see a reaction.
Right first off stick the phrase we go again in the bin, in regards to those defeats suffered under Fergie I was always confident we had the mentality to come back from it and worth remembering the league wasn't half as competitive back then either because teams bricked it against us very often. Oh yeah and finally we were never serious challengers for the league so last night has hopefully made the ones who believed that brought crashing back to earth.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not massively, considering how the season has gone for the other top clubs.

We're 9 points better off than we were at this stage last season. That's good in that it's broadly in line with the sort of improvement that was demanded, so far. But a couple more days like yesterday and suddenly that improvement will have vanished.
That sounds to me like ifs and buts.

What good is it having rival fans with fans like ours. 1 off off top spot and picking holes. 5 months ago you'd have been lucky to find anyone on here who gave us a prayer of the title anyway.

Our fans are beyond pathetic. Moan moan moan moan.

James Peril

We've won many titles by grinding out results back to back. Admittedly this should have been a game that we should have thrashed them in but we were poor.
This argument isn’t really applicable here. Back then, United were the best team and played the best football, on crap days they managed to grind out results at the end and other fans were just «oh boy, here we go again». Now we’re playing pretty unstructured and scrappy, but have managed to win a lot of games against lesser teams due to individual brilliance. In fact, most of these grinded wins are just...the normal way for United to win games under OGS. Contiunously going behind and needing a goal at the back to get going, but still winning many games, speaks volumes for shit game plans and basically just meaning we have better players than most other teams.

Dominos

We haven't been dominant in every game, but there's hardly any that we won where we didn't deserve to. Probably only Brighton.
rubbish, all the 'close' wins barring the brighton game were ones which we deserved to win.
If you look at games by shots, chances, possession, territorial dominance - Liverpool were the better team against Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle, West Brom recently. How have they managed to fail to win any of this run of 4 games in which they "deserved to win"? Because they didn't really play well in any of them. There's a correlation between performance and results, the bigger the gap in chances created and dominance between you and the opposition the higher the chance you win the game. When every game is close it's not sustainable to keep winning and you're leaving yourself open to a spell of negative variance. Thankfully we've been on the good side of the variance recently and Liverpool have been on the bad side.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Last night was coming. You can’t challenge for a title by edging 50-50 games time & time again. We haven’t played well for ages yet were just about doing enough with individual brilliance from Rashford & Pogba getting winning goals. It’s not sustainable. On another day Bailly doesn’t make that block & Villa equalise, same for Burnley who missed chances, same for Fulham, on another day that deflection off Bailly goes in. We were never going to be able to keep it up, if you want to win a title you need to be convincing. We were edging wins but we were failing the eye test badly.
True and plain to see.

croadyman

Last night was coming. You can’t challenge for a title by edging 50-50 games time & time again. We haven’t played well for ages yet were just about doing enough with individual brilliance from Rashford & Pogba getting winning goals. It’s not sustainable. On another day Bailly doesn’t make that block & Villa equalise, same for Burnley who missed chances, same for Fulham, on another day that deflection off Bailly goes in. We were never going to be able to keep it up, if you want to win a title you need to be convincing. We were edging wins but we were failing the eye test badly.
Could not have summed it up any better myself and wish @Rood could see this too but he is more of an expected xg guy

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Could not have summed it up any better myself and wish @Rood could see this too but he is more of an expected xg guy
The OP here is 'glass half empty' nonsense - sure we were crap yesterday but we have been playing very well recently

I mean its just as valid to say that Bailly could have been fit yesterday and would have blocked the shot that Tuanzebe hesistated on

But the difference is that I dont actually expect us to win the league, even being 2nd at the moment is ahead of expectations so Im content

rollingstoned1

Even if a close win is 'deserved' it remains a close win. Which is why looking at goal difference makes a lot of sense as some have suggested here. At face value there not be a difference between a 3-2 win and a 3-0 win as they both yield you three points. But even if the 3-2 accurately reflects how the game went in terms of domination and chances and is therefore deserved, such a distribution of chances will throw up a lot of draws and even losses because that's the nature of football. This is a lot less likely if you outperform your opponent by two or three goals.
but we win and people sound out words of caution that a correction might be round the corner. we win well anyway and they are still saying i told you so. the eye test is sufficient, for games that you win the hard way where the scoreline doesn't tell the whole story there are also games where you win with a flattering scoreline. you can't have it both ways.

our poor gd has a lot to do with how we started the season, people have pointed that out umpteen times.

Kostov

Sheffield played a blinder in defense, our collective unit including the goalkeeper had one hell of a let down while we were down to the third choice center back. It happens more than once in a long season, let alone when games are coming at you thick and fast in a squeezed schedule. Forget and move on.
You can call it a blinder, I guess anyone would have had a blinder with how our attackers were playing that night.

RoyH1

The absolute over reaction by some on this forum is staggering.

Don’t get me wrong, I was raging last night, about the manner of our defeat, the team we lost to and the humiliation of doing so given the season they are having, the frustration of dropping points compared to city - but you know what? It happens. It’s one game. 3pts.
We’re still 2nd, we can still challenge for the league, and we can still have a good season.
It’s not like it hasn’t happened before. Anyone remember 6-3 against Southampton and the embarrassing debacle of the invisible grey shirts?? We won the league then too.
Take a breath. We go again at the weekend - let’s hope we see a reaction.
Agree completely. People lose their cool too easily around these parts. We're objectively doing much better than I thought we would with our squad and setup.

And we play much better against good teams than bad ones.

Polar

As I said earlier, right now we wasn’t expecting the winning trend. It was a bonus. The same if we end above nr.3 in the league. I’m talking about this season and haven’t lowered my expectations in general. Next year we should fight for the title until the end and win one trophy.

The problem now is that many of us has been dragged with our success lately and new expectations have been formed - which probably doesn’t have a solid foundation. We have progressed a lot the last year, but it’s still a lot work left and we expect the progress to continue and not stop.

The future looks very bright. Keep the faith and be positive.

Dudu

Haha who are City dropping points to then do please enlighten me on that one, don't say Spurs after that shocking performance from them tonight and the scousers could easily get shut out by City's rock solid defence too
I suppose you saw City's early season form coming too right?
It's been an especially weird season for obvious reasons. I'd expect all the contending teams to drop more points, City and Liverpool included.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Right first off stick the phrase we go again in the bin, in regards to those defeats suffered under Fergie I was always confident we had the mentality to come back from it and worth remembering the league wasn't half as competitive back then either because teams bricked it against us very often. Oh yeah and finally we were never serious challengers for the league so last night has hopefully made the ones who believed that brought crashing back to earth.
Not a phrase friend, a statement of fact. Perhaps I should have said ‘we are contractually obliged by the governing bodies of the competition we are taking part in to fulfill another fixture on Sunday’. Either way it’s going to happen and I hope to see a much improved performance and a positive result.

Whilst I share your concern about the mental fragility of our current (quite young) squad, the whole point of being whooped by the saints in a weaker league back then is that it shouldn’t have happened on paper, but like Sheffield they raised there game, Le Tiss had a worldie and it did happen but didn’t derail the season.

In this years much more competitive league we’ve drawn with run away favourites City and Liverpool, and honestly felt hard done to not to have won them both. We’ve subsequently beaten Liverpool in the cup. We’re not a million miles away here.

As for the title, I certainly don’t expect it this season, but I have hope, because of our results - and whilst that hope is there it’s more fun to believe we can than say we can’t.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The OP here is 'glass half empty' nonsense - sure we were crap yesterday but we have been playing very well recently

I mean its just as valid to say that Bailly could have been fit yesterday and would have blocked the shot that Tuanzebe hesistated on

But the difference is that I dont actually expect us to win the league, even being 2nd at the moment is ahead of expectations so Im content
We were edging every victory by the skin of our teeth. I know champions need to win ugly sometimes, but that’s supposed to be a couple of games a season, not every single victory. Even super defensive Jose’s Chelsea were convincing in most wins. You’re never going to win, or even challenge for a title, if every single win is an ugly drag. It’s not sustainable.

For me big teams should always look to dominate the game. I don’t think a top sides default philosophy should be counter attack.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
We were edging every victory by the skin of our teeth. I know champions need to win ugly sometimes, but that’s supposed to be a couple of games a season, not every single victory. Even super defensive Jose’s Chelsea were convincing in most wins. You’re never going to win, or even challenge for a title, if every single win is an ugly drag. It’s not sustainable.

For me big teams should always look to dominate the game. I don’t think a top sides default philosophy should be counter attack.
I agree with all this except the idea that our default philosophy is counter attack, I really don't think it is anymore, but it still comfortably remains what we're best at. We need to improve drastically at having possession and being in charge of a game, teams will happily give us the ball and sit back because we're useless at breaking teams down.

Polar

Whilst I share your concern about the mental fragility of our current (quite young) squad,
Suppose it’s not only a quite young squad. Our startup is among the youngest, if not the youngest in PL. That explain a bit.

It is also important not to forget our mentality is on right track. I’ve seen much more of the fighting spirit and team spirit and how they continue push or work hard despite a goal against or some other struggle.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I agree with all this except the idea that our default philosophy is counter attack, I really don't think it is anymore, but it still comfortably remains what we're best at. We need to improve drastically at having possession and being in charge of a game, teams will happily give us the ball and sit back because we're useless at breaking teams down.
I think it is honestly. We just can’t approach most games with it because most teams sit deep against us, but our intention is absolutely to counter, we saw this in the Sheff U 2nd goal, we were thinking about countering while they had the ball in our box. That’s our favoured philosophy for every game, we do not like keeping the ball, we treat it like a hot potato, pass it on as quickly as possible, we’re very very direct & extremely high tempo, it’s all about countering. Maybe default was the wrong word as we don’t get to play it in every game with teams sitting deep, but it’s absolutely Ole’s favoured way of approaching every game.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

How is it any different to what we do with any other "United" such as West Ham, Leeds or Newcastle?

What do you want them to be called?
It’s a new thing, back in the day it was always “Sheff Utd” & “Sheff Wed” now it seems to be more “Sheffield” & just “Wednesday”

I think it’s the younger fans, who probably don’t even know who Sheffield Wednesday are

Counterfactual

I agree, so why do we set up as a counter-attacking team? It's to play to our perceived strengths.

Maybe it's an interim solution while we build a team that can dominate? Or do you think we should dominate with our current players?

Anustart89

Lots of posters here that I haven't seen in a couple of months by the way haha
No wonder, considering when people were critical after games where we started poorly but still won they were called sad and pathetic for not enjoying results and were told to shut up https://www.redcafe.net/threads/how-could-you-possibly-be-content-with-this.459310/

When is an appropriate time to voice criticism, according to you? When results are good obviously isn't, and when we get a poor result as a consequence of the same things and mistakes we've seen multiple times during the good run, it apparently isn't okay to voice your concern either. So when?

Or is it just a matter of needing to shut up at all times if you’re in any way critical of the team?

Counterfactual

It’s a new thing, back in the day it was always “Sheff Utd” & “Sheff Wed” now it seems to be more “Sheffield” & just “Wednesday”

I think it’s the younger fans, who probably don’t even know who Sheffield Wednesday are
You're right, the difference is that there are two teams from Sheffield, so calling one "Sheffield" is a bit odd. I've never had to type their name out before and couldn't be bothered with their full name each time, so defaulted to "Sheffield". But, yeah, "Sheff Utd" works.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think you are mistaking default philosophy with what it really is - a system that gets the best out of the players. This team will evolve as we add different players.

Siorac

But, yeah, "Sheff Utd" works.
It's fecking weird, that's what it is. Try saying it out loud and you'll feel stupid.

Calling them Sheffield is perfectly fine in my opinion if we're a bit lazy to write out 'Sheffield United'. They're the only team from Sheffield in the Premier League so everyone knows what Sheffield refers to. Just like we're all happy calling Leeds United 'Leeds' and not giving a feck about Leeds City in the West Yorkshire Premier League.

Denis' cuff

could it possibly be that Wednesday are not in the conversation (or PL) and therefore irrelevant in context? If they were also in the PL there would be some clarification.

not difficult.

Maticmaker

I really hate the idea that a 38-year-old Phil Jagielka was able to shut down Man Utd at Old Trafford. Sheffield Utd had 8 or 9 players missing, they couldn't even make a full bench! There are certain patterns going on that means we shouldn't just right off last night as a freak result. We conceded first yet again, we conceded from a corner yet again, we looked impotent and disinterested going forward yet again, we weren't able to control the game for any significant period of time yet again, we were relying on a moment of individual brilliance to win us the game yet again. These are seriously concerning issues that have been bubbling under the surface and finally bit us on the arse last night.
Very good summary, especially first two sentences!
All Sheffield had to do was 'hold their ground' and we were clueless. Chris Wilder had certainly done his homework better than Ole. If ever there was an opportunity to start a proper CF who makes runs in the box, it was on Wednesday night. Just look at the 'heat print' for Sheffield's back 5 it hardly moved all game, there was zero effect in disturbing Jagers and his colleagues.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I still back Ole, but i just cannot help think that if we had Guardiola or Nagglesman, we would be destroying these poorer teams.

Forget about the result against SU. The performance overall was very worrying. But then we were really good against Pool in the FA Cup, so maybe we were just not fired up for SU.

Red00012

How is it any different to what we do with any other "United" such as West Ham, Leeds or Newcastle?

What do you want them to be called?
You're right, the difference is that there are two teams from Sheffield, so calling one "Sheffield" is a bit odd. I've never had to type their name out before and couldn't be bothered with their full name each time, so defaulted to "Sheffield". But, yeah, "Sheff Utd" works.
Arguing my post but then agreeing with it with another poster :lol:

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Suppose it’s not only a quite young squad. Our startup is among the youngest, if not the youngest in PL. That explain a bit.

It is also important not to forget our mentality is on right track. I’ve seen much more of the fighting spirit and team spirit and how they continue push or work hard despite a goal against or some other struggle.
Absolutely!

Last seasons and earlier this season going a goal down was a sure fire loss, now we generally have the belief to come from behind and take all 3 points.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I still back Ole, but i just cannot help think that if we had Guardiola or Nagglesman, we would be destroying these poorer teams.

Forget about the result against SU. The performance overall was very worrying. But then we were really good against Pool in the FA Cup, so maybe we were just not fired up for SU.
It's no coincidence our two worst results this season (Istanbul (A) and Sheffield United (H)) occurred after big results. Seems to me that the team has a complacency issue at times, thinking they are better than they actually are. I don't think that applies to Bruno, but it does apply to several other players.

Either way, it was clear we'd get a blip in the coming weeks, if we can win our next two games then it's not a bad trade ultimately. Just very frustrating.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

I dont agree with that whole premise - yes we often conceeded but in most matches we deserved the victory in my opinion, I can only think of West Ham and BHA early in the season where we were lucky to win

And we have played some good football along the way too, its not just counter attack and we are obviously not the finished article so will continue to improve

Like I said, I wasnt expecting a title challenge this season anyway so Ole is already ahead of schedule with the evolution of this team in my book