We will never win the league with Lukaku up front

mancan92

Neither Rooney or Benzema were out-and-out strikers.....

RVN was just as limited as Lukaku except being a much more lethal finisher.

And Eto'o was never skilled on the ball...
Prime Rooney and Benzema both are out and out strikers both have played as lone number 9s in some of the biggest matches in their careers.

It is a genuine insult to say that RVN was anywhere near as limited as Lukaku, the guy was one of the best at holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

Your eto'o comment is just a complete joke its one of the most ridiculous things I've read. Have you even watched him?

Marcky411

I don't want to bash Lukaku, he is doing the best he can but he is a limited footballer and I am not sure he is going to get any better than what he is at the moment. What we need is a striker like RvP in his first season at Man Utd with Lukaku as his backup, he should not be our first choice or only choice.
Personally I would like to see Jose try Martial through the middle, Sanchez just behind him with Lukaku on the right wing (he seems to do well out on the right) and Rashford on the left, or Sanchez on the left with Pogba or Jesse behind Martial but that won't happen because that would mean Jose admitting his 75mil strikers isn't working out the way he thought.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Please do your research or you will look silly. Shevchenko was the main striker during that period who is an all round striker and was the main number 1 striker. Inzaghi was injured alot and played in a front two with Shevchenko when he did play and was never number 1 striker in the club. So yes you cannot win the league with a poacher as your main striker its been shown again and again.
I've been watching AC Milan since the late 80s. That team was the best I've ever seen in my whole life. Inzaghi was very much involved in AC Milan and is considered a legend at the club. He was central in that team which gave us a spanking back in 2007. You're talking here about a man who scored 126 goals in 300 matches for AC Milan and is their joint international topscorer with 43 goals. A guy who won CLs, Serie A titles and a world cup. He's not Chicarito.

Last edited:

mancan92

I've been watching AC Milan since the late 80s. That team was the best I've ever seen in my whole life. Inzaghi was very much involved in AC Milan and is considered a legend at the club. He was central in that team which gave us a spanking back in 2007. You're talking here about a man who scored 202 goals in 300 matches for AC Milan and is their joint international topscorer with 43 goals. A guy who won CLs, Serie A titles and a world cup. He's not Chicarito.
No he scored 126 goals in 300 games. Yes he was a great striker but he was never the main striker for club or country which I am sure you will agree is true. One of the best poachers of all time but it shows that even the best poacher would be unable to be the number one striker for a top club that wins titles.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No he scored 126 goals in 300 games. Yes he was a great striker but he was never the main striker for club or country which I am sure you will agree is true. One of the best poachers of all time but it shows that even the best poacher would be unable to be the number one striker for a top club that wins titles.
My apologies I mixed up the stats

https://www.acmilan.com/en/filippo-inzaghi

Seriously mate you don't know what you're talking about. He's an AC Milan legend and had served as a lone striker in many many occasions.

TBF Lukaku is nowhere near as lethal in front of goal as good old Pippo did. However he contributes far more to the game then a typical cut and paste goal poacher would do (Inzaghi, Chicarito, Fowler etc). These sort of players can make you win. However you need to build a side around them.

If you ask me, our creative/goalscoring department is up at par to those of Barcelona and Bayern. Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial and Pogba could easily play in any big team + the likes of Mata, Rashford and Lingard are great cover/competition for us. Our problems lies elsewhere specifically CM and the rear flanks. Matic can't be expected to do all the workrate by himself. We need to partner him with someone solid (Jorginho?) to share the workload and provide him with a decent cover/competitor (Dier?). Regarding the rear flanks we've only got 1 top player ie Valencia. We need some real quality at both rear flanks.

GM K

Someone needs to say it.

I'm not scapegoating Lukaku after our woeful performance against Tottenham as the whole team was atrocious but Lukaku simply isn't good enough.

Would you ever see Lukaku up front for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern or even PSG now.....no you wouldn't. He isn't a good enough footballer to play for those teams. Physicality with limited footballing ability can only take you so far in football and Everton was about his level. He never performs against the big teams and isn't especially good against the rest of the league at the moment. I know having a big physical striker up front is Mourinho's style but if he wants to do that then at least find someone who can control the ball and link up play reasonably well.

I can't imagine how much better we would be with a more technically gifted striker. If Lukaku is to stay then he really shouldn't be playing in the big games unless there's a drastic improvement in his play.

No way can I see us winning the league or the Champions League with him playing up front every game.

Unfair on Romelu.

I keep reading posts pointing fingers at him.

He is a striker. How many times was he supplied with the ball? How many time has he been properly supplied in the last few games?

He brings a lot to that team. His movement, his passes, his assists etc. I am betting that if the supply line improves, he will bang in a truck load of goals.

El-Manos

Nah, disagree. Like others have said, we have more urgent issues to sort out. The whole team was diabolical yesterday.

Greck

Build a side around Lukaku? Sure let's have a ton of world class players to help create the few instances Lukaku can thrive on in big games.

All that talent working for the 50% chance that he doesn't blast a point blank shot attempt straight into the keeper's airspace

Dr Fink

Lukaku's performance last night was compounded by the poor effort from the rest. Move on.

Fluctuation0161

As much as I dismiss the similar thread about Pogba as ridiculous. I do have small concerns about Lukaku.

I didn't buy into the whole "can't score against big teams" before we signed him. But the majority of his goals seem to come when we are either a) winning by a good margin or b) against 'easier' opposition. It seems that when the pressure is on he is not the man to rise above it and put in a performance but when there is no pressure he starts to play and rack up the stats. It seems a mentality or confidence issue holding him back.

I do support him and he is developing in his first season at a big club (and in our transitional period) so its not easy for him. But when I compare his hold up play, finishing, even pass accuracy to any top striker he is currently falling short. When the ball goes to him I have no confidence he will hold onto the ball, in fact I tend to expect he will lose it!

Considering his physicality he gets bullied off the ball and loses headers far too much. When you think of Jose strikers with similar physicality like Drogba or Zlatan, I'm sad to say Lukaku pales in comparison at the moment.

AshRK

We lose, he is the easy target. Can we all stop scapegoating him whenever we lose.Glad rash ford didn't play otherwise that thread would have full of abuses for him.Yesterday we lost because of our defence. You don't concede a goal in 10 seconds. it would kill many teams momentum and positivity.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Neither Rooney or Benzema were out-and-out strikers.....

RVN was just as limited as Lukaku except being a much more lethal finisher.

And Eto'o was never skilled on the ball...
Jesus wept.

mancan92

My apologies I mixed up the stats

https://www.acmilan.com/en/filippo-inzaghi

Seriously mate you don't know what you're talking about. He's an AC Milan legend and had served as a lone striker in many many occasions.

TBF Lukaku is nowhere near as lethal in front of goal as good old Pippo did. However he contributes far more to the game then a typical cut and paste goal poacher would do (Inzaghi, Chicarito, Fowler etc). These sort of players can make you win. However you need to build a side around them.

If you ask me, our creative/goalscoring department is up at par to those of Barcelona and Bayern. Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial and Pogba could easily play in any big team + the likes of Mata, Rashford and Lingard are great cover/competition for us. Our problems lies elsewhere specifically CM and the rear flanks. Matic can't be expected to do all the workrate by himself. We need to partner him with someone solid (Jorginho?) to share the workload and provide him with a decent cover/competitor (Dier?). Regarding the rear flanks we've only got 1 top player ie Valencia. We need some real quality at both rear flanks.
The truth ad I have sad many times no team will have a poacher as their main striker for the full season and be successful. It just doesn't happen.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Probably my biggest annoyance with lukaku is how big he is yet how he gets bullied by defenders. You almost never see him use his size properly, and instead tries to just be a poacher who does nothing in build up when that shouldn't be his game at all.

I agree fwiw. Lukaku as a key player won't get us anywhere. If he came through the youth ranks he'd be a squad player like Welbeck was when he was here, not some unstoppable player. He only has that status because of the money spent on him, nothing do with his actual on field performances.

I do think we can become a very good team even with lukaku as the striker. But we have to get the most out of pogba and fix our midfield situation, give Sanchez and Martial the proper platform the be at their best and then it won't matter as much that lukaku is an average player, as we'll still have world class quality and a balanced side. Of course if we want to step up yet another level, he will need eventual replacing, but we can still be successful with him IMO. It just won't be because of him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Probably my biggest annoyance with lukaku is how big he is yet how he gets bullied by defenders. You almost never see him use his size properly, and instead tries to just be a poacher who does nothing in build up when that shouldn't be his game at all.

I agree fwiw. Lukaku as a key player won't get us anywhere. If he came through the youth ranks he'd be a squad player like Welbeck was when he was here, not some unstoppable player. He only has that status because of the money spent on him, nothing do with his actual on field performances.

Said it before but being that freakishly big at a young age has not helped him at all, as he never had to fight to hold the ball up as a kid and therefore didn't naturally develop the instinct and the core strength to hold the ball up in competitive tough situations.

bosnian_red

Said it before but being that freakishly big at a young age has not helped him at all, as he never had to fight to hold the ball up as a kid and therefore didn't naturally develop the instinct and the core strength to hold the ball up in competitive tough situations.
Yup. He's capable of it, but he doesn't "know" how to do it. It's like sometimes it happens accidentally where he uses his body properly. That one chance where the spurs defender bounced off him and he had the volley saved, he didn't even notice the defender as he was acting on pure instinct. But in terms of putting his body about and using it to his advantage knowingly, that never happens and it could well be because he was always bigger so never had to think about it.

Schneckerl

Everytime someone posts the FACTS about his woeful big game performances he gets called a hater.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yup. He's capable of it, but he doesn't "know" how to do it. It's like sometimes it happens accidentally where he uses his body properly. That one chance where the spurs defender bounced off him and he had the volley saved, he didn't even notice the defender as he was acting on pure instinct. But in terms of putting his body about and using it to his advantage knowingly, that never happens and it could well be because he was always bigger so never had to think about it.
Going to share another anecdote which is whilst he was at the Albion, I was tutoring a class of kids at the Hawthorns corporate suite and Lukaku was doing individual training on the pitch below - midweek )they don't normally train on pitch).

He was doing technical drills, dribbling, first touch etc away from the main squad for an hour. He was shockingly bad, and the kids were laughing at him - saying he barely resembles a professional footballer. His touch was all over the place and he looked very cumbersome. Now in fairness to him, I think he might have been coming back from a knock but it was very evident how he lacks natural tekkers and natural feel for the ball.. there is an innate clumsiness in him that the elite players simply don't have. His co-ordination isn't top notch.

What I will say is that he's developed massively over the years since those loan days at the Baggies, but for him to take that leap and suddenly become this all encompassing 9 with a great touch/precision play - it will be incredibly difficult to make that step up and no guarantees even with his very enthusiastic mindset that it can happen.

Sterling Archer

Pretty easy to debunk this - go back and rewatch the match to focus on Harry Kane, whom I know many would prefer to Lukaku. In a match like yesterday it's all about the chances the team created for them. Kane's supporting cast - Son, Alli, Erikson - were much more effective than ours - Lingard, Sanchez, Martial.

So follow the crumbs, what's the reason for that? An absent midfield and shaky CB pair that cant even lump the ball forward effectively (see 11 sec in for Kane's contribution to the opening goal)

This Lukaku scapegoating is getting tedious

Greck

Pretty easy to debunk this - go back and rewatch the match to focus on Harry Kane, whom I know many would prefer to Lukaku. In a match like yesterday it's all about the chances the team created for them. Kane's supporting cast - Son, Alli, Erikson - were much more effective than ours - Lingard, Sanchez, Martial.

So follow the crumbs, what's the reason for that? An absent midfield and shaky CB pair that cant even lump the ball forward effectively (see 11 sec in for Kane's contribution to the opening goal)

Think you might also have to go back and rewatch how easy it was for Son, Alli and Eriksen to play off of Kane. Kane only needs 3 touches to bring others onto play. He isn't exactly a passenger in the build up just preying off of the hardwork of his attackers

bosnian_red

What? Just compare how each player dealt with any long ball or pass into feet. Kane held off defenders. Kane used his skill and touch to keep the ball and bring others into play time and time again. OK, Kane's finishing was off, but still our defenders couldn't handle him in the air or on the ground, because Kane knows how to use his body and is talented. Nothing to do with the service into him, as he still fecked up his chances. But the random balls that you want to stick to your striker in that system, stuck to Kane. When we did it to Lukaku, he got outmuscled constantly, his touch was loose, he picked the wrong decision, he couldn't win in the air, and whatever else. So is has nothing to do with service into him. Martial showed this the one game he played as a striker. He's capable of linking up play and holding on to the ball as he actually knows how to use his body along with being talented enough to do little turns away to get a yard of space and keep hold of the ball. Lukaku is bigger then pretty much any other striker in the league but is one of the worst at actually using his body properly.

Actually just checked the stats - he had 48% pass completion :lol: fecks sake that is grim. Pretty sure I saw it written somewhere that in collective big games this season, he has something like 55% pass completion. That's brutal.

El Jefe

Performances in big games usially give confirmation of how good a player is. KDB, Salah and Kane have all drawn high praise this season for doing the business against the big teams.

I'v watched Lukaku closely for the last 3 seasons and his performances in big games always leave you feeling underwhelmed.

I understand he's our player which is why many of you support him but lets be honest if our rivals signed him for £75m off the back of what he did and delivered the same level of performances his thread would be filled with ':lol:'.

roseguy64

What? Just compare how each player dealt with any long ball or pass into feet. Kane held off defenders. Kane used his skill and touch to keep the ball and bring others into play time and time again. OK, Kane's finishing was off, but still our defenders couldn't handle him in the air or on the ground, because Kane knows how to use his body and is talented. Nothing to do with the service into him, as he still fecked up his chances. But the random balls that you want to stick to your striker in that system, stuck to Kane. When we did it to Lukaku, he got outmuscled constantly, his touch was loose, he picked the wrong decision, he couldn't win in the air, and whatever else. So is has nothing to do with service into him. Martial showed this the one game he played as a striker. He's capable of linking up play and holding on to the ball as he actually knows how to use his body along with being talented enough to do little turns away to get a yard of space and keep hold of the ball. Lukaku is bigger then pretty much any other striker in the league but is one of the worst at actually using his body properly.

Actually just checked the stats - he had 48% pass completion :lol: fecks sake that is grim. Pretty sure I saw it written somewhere that in collective big games this season, he has something like 55% pass completion. That's brutal.
How many of those passes are him flicking on the ball and no one being there to collect it?

bosnian_red

How many of those passes are him flicking on the ball and no one being there to collect it?
Why the feck would you flick on the ball to nobody though? It's called positional awareness. Know where you are and who is around you. He just flicks them on because he can't actually hold on to the ball. In no circumstance should a players pass completion be in the 50's (and Lukaku's wasn't even that), unless he's a goalkeeper. Even then you question it.

bosnian_red

Performances in big games usially give confirmation of how good a player is. KDB, Salah and Kane have all drawn high praise this season for doing the business against the big teams.

I'v watched Lukaku closely for the last 3 seasons and his performances in big games always leave you feeling underwhelmed.

I understand he's our player which is why many of you support him but lets be honest if our rivals signed him for £75m off the back of what he did and delivered the same level of performances his thread would be filled with ':lol:'.
The thread would've been filled with laughs the second he signed for any of them for 75m tbf, because everyone knew what he was and he's been in the league for a while now. None of this is a surprise or him not being able to adapt. This is just what he is and it was naive to think he'd suddenly transform as a player just because he's coming to United.

poleglass red

I can forgive him for not scoring as in fairness we aren't creating a ton of chances esp in big games. My issue with him esp in these types of games, is nothing sticks to him. His hold up play is poor for a man of his size. Kane didn't score yesterday but he bullied our back line. When Lukaku doesn't score there's not much else he does. He doesn't close down the defenders, Spurs played out from the back with ease.I know he has assists in other games, but in the big games he offers little. I am not sure just being a goalscorer is enough these days as the lone front man. I certainly wouldn't lay all the blame on him for yesterday as collectively it was a shit show.

NoPace

Think you might also have to go back and rewatch how easy it was for Son, Alli and Eriksen to play off of Kane. Kane only needs 3 touches to bring others onto play. He isn't exactly a passenger in the build up just preying off of the hardwork of his attackers
Yeah, I'm not sure what people are talking about here. Kane has become an excellent outlet who uses his body brilliantly, wins headers and has a really good sense of where his teammates are and plays lovely layoffs.

Greck

Yeah, I'm not sure what people are talking about here. Kane has become an excellent outlet who uses his body brilliantly, wins headers and has a really good sense of where his teammates are and plays lovely layoffs.
Agree. It's such a simplistic view of the term service. For example, In 2010 when Rooney and Valencia struck up a lethal partnership, it was Rooney holding the ball up and subsequently bringing Valencia into play for the brilliant crosses Rooney benefitted from him.

Teams play through their strikers abilities not around them

Fergie 7ime

Apparantly it’s an unpopular opinion on here, but I’m sort of agreeing with the OP. I’ve always thought he was a bit shit. Not as a pure striker off course, he can score loads when serviced right, but as a footballer.

His first touch really is as bad as they come, I don’t think we have to debate about that. But what pains me the most are his duels, I just can not understand how he doesn’t win a single one while being one of the strongest players in the league.

Saying we won’t win anything with him up front is maybe a bit much, we did win the league with chicarito as a striker. But I do think the times when you got away with players like Insaghi or Huntelaar are all but over.

Sterling Archer

Kane made it sooo easy for them? That literally gives a free pass to how poor our CMs and defenders were. Like our opening goal? That was all Kane's brilliance? Huh...not dissimilar from Lukakus assist in the reverse fixture except there Martial had to actually finish versus yesterday when our lumps bundled into each other dumbstruck first as Dele Alli fluffed his shot and second as Erikson waltzed in to collect. Not all Kane's brilliance.

To emphasize the problem lies behind Lukaku think to times we've seen Ibra struggle in equal measure especially last season... It's not the forwards skill or technical ability that is the issue; Ibra is one of the most technical out there. It's the setup around them.

Stats are misleading. See below.

This . In fact Martial was the culprit on several occasions for going the wrong way when a pass was played to him. The cohesion of the front players was way off . In my opinion it was due to the players behind them .

Greck

Kane made it sooo easy for them? That literally gives a free pass to how poor our CMs and defenders were. Like our opening goal? That was all Kane's brilliance? Huh...not dissimilar from Lukakus assist in the reverse fixture except there Martial had to actually finish versus yesterday when our lumps bundled into each other dumbstruck first as Dele Alli fluffed his shot and second as Erikson waltzed in to collect. Not all Kane's brilliance.

To emphasize the problem lies behind Lukaku think to times we've seen Ibra struggle in equal measure especially last season... It's not the forwards skill or technical ability that is the issue; Ibra is one of the most technical out there. It's the setup around them.

This . In fact Martial was the culprit on several occasions for going the wrong way when a pass was played to him. The cohesion of the front players was way off . In my opinion it was due to the players behind them .
This post reads like Lukaku wrote it himself. It's always someone else's fault for not reading his mind and getting on the end of his random flicks. If yesterday was anything to go on, his flick for Martial's goal at OT might even have been a fluke. He kept spaming the same flick yesterday into no man's land despite knowing he was the lone striker. Don't think even he knows where the ball will land

bosnian_red

Stats can be misleading. But when someone has a pass completion of that low, then you can't look further then the player himself. The excuses people make are crazy. He had 48% pass completion - and that's the number being rounded up. That's woeful. His average in big away games has been like 55% or something. That's inexcusable.

I do agree that he's not the main problem at all. Main problem is definitely the midfield and until that's sorted out, it's very hard to blame the attack for being disjointed or not doing much. But on Lukaku himself, he's not a top player and never will be as he's too limited. We can still be good with him, but there's no reason for him to be seen as undroppable because he isn't talented enough for that.

RedNed77

He's a steaming pile of shite, but he's our steaming pile of shite and we should maybe leave off the bashing whilst he remains so.

Sterling Archer

Stats can be misleading. But when someone has a pass completion of that low, then you can't look further then the player himself. The excuses people make are crazy. He had 48% pass completion - and that's the number being rounded up. That's woeful. His average in big away games has been like 55% or something. That's inexcusable.

I do agree that he's not the main problem at all. Main problem is definitely the midfield and until that's sorted out, it's very hard to blame the attack for being disjointed or not doing much. But on Lukaku himself, he's not a top player and never will be as he's too limited. We can still be good with him, but there's no reason for him to be seen as undroppable because he isn't talented enough for that.
Very reasonably put. I think it's a agree to disagree stance here - I am with you that Lukaku is not this fine all round striker. But I don't think he's as average and I certainly don't think the thread title is fair. If we want to look at it from the perspective of what is holding the team back from winning the league then I am adamant that Lukaku is not it. Perhaps it's harder with him than say, Harry Kane as he is now. But putting a striker of that all round quality as Kane doesn't preempt the other team needs. Spurs haven't won the league yet and thats the prime example.

Specific to addressing the thread title, I say look elsewhere. Focused even on just last night I say look elsewhere .

But if we shift to evaluating a player overall then indeed Lukaku has plenty of improvement to be made. He is still young and he is bright so I expect that to come. Again there's no denying he has a combination of scoring ability and physical attributes that are not easy to come by. If he improves some of the nuances he can become more valuable in a title winning season than we've seen Diego Costa be most recently. But even if he remains the same this next season, changing some of the setup around him can still see us be successful.