We will never win the league with Lukaku up front

Ashley R1+O

We did against Liverpool and City. He missed both big chances. I don't know why people keep defending him it's clear he isn't top level.
Okay, he missed two chances in a game. So we lynch him?

When he's missing 6 or 8 chances out of 10 per game and good chances then I will be satisfied that he cannot be relied upon. The service continues to be dreadful to him and I am not talking about putting goals on a platter for him. The passing into him seems to be a general pupu platter of overhit balls from players under pressure that he needs to fight with the defender for, fenneled aerial balls from miles away that are low percentage chances for him to hold up play. If I could describe the type of service he gets? Then it would be "I dunno mate try and do something with this shitty ball *punt*... Sorry mate, I dunno"...

The midfield and wide players need to push up and start creating for him in areas that suit his game. Look at the spurs map compared to ours and our attack is all over the place and spurs is pushed up right in behind Kane giving him feeded passes that he can utilize, everybody needs to get better at carrying the ball and initiating and penetrating with composed attacks.

Fantastic thread! Some of that service is dire, the fang-outs from De Gea where he's meant to hold off three spurs players while there is not even another red shirt in the frame.

I honestly just shake my head. The argument goes beyond "the service is bad" it is generally diabolical and when he does receive passes he is quite handy with the ball.

El Jefe

Since this is one of most knee jerk thread in sometime, I will post link here too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/7umpvz/lukaku_hold_up_play/

It's not we don't win with Lukaku upfront, we can't win the league if we play like we did against Spurs.

Aimless hoofs, lazy build up play.
You've been Lukaku's most vocal supporter all season and its commendable but I want to know your answer to two questions;

1. Do you believe Lukaku has been of the required level for a guaranteed first choice Manchester United striker?
2. Are you worried about his performances and stats in the big games over the last 2 or 3 seasons?

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
More bull. He's not a back to goal striker, if you get it into his feet on the half turn he will hold that ball up every time. Mouriniho with his obsessive need to boil a team down to 3 or 4 attacking plays is wasting him

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You've been Lukaku's most vocal supporter all season and its commendable but I want to know your answer to two questions;

1. Do you believe Lukaku has been of the required level for a guaranteed first choice Manchester United striker?
2. Are you worried about his performances and stats in the big games over the last 2 or 3 seasons?
1. No he isn't but he is good enough to lead the line for us.
2. If you are taking about last 2 seasons (for which I had collected data) he scored as many goals against the teams that finished top 6 in last 2 seasons.

Overall he has improved and still has lot of room to improve. It's just that people forget the good work when he plays 1 bad game.

People moan about performance against top 6 but forgets his performance against teams that are in 6th to 14th. It's like they don't matter when last season itself we have dropped so many points against these teams.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

I’ll ask you a question.

Do you believe Lukaku has had the required level of service to be a top tier striker?

Scholsey2004

Don't understand the lukaku negativity. He's having a decent first season and will improve IMO.

Hawks2008

He could probably be a functioning striker in a title winning side but his skill set is too limited to ever be the catalyst for a title-winning team. I hate his undroppable status though.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Lukaku could play for Real Madrid now. He doesn't fit Barcelona's holy football and Bayern and PSG currently have better strikers but he would not be out of place at either club.
Wow, pretty sure you'd have voted for Trump if you were American. You'd have to be really ignorant to make such a statement. I know you're not, then why? Are you trolling?

Micky Targaryen

The only thing I agree with the OP is that yes, I agree that I cannot see Lukaku being a starter for top European teams like Real, Barca and PSG. For now.

But that doesn't mean he cannot improve ffs. I don't get how the OP can make such a definitive statement like that. The epitome of knee jerk. Lukaku is only 24 years old. Why do fans these days have such little patience and extremely high standards. Like some of the posters have mentioned, Lukaku had been directly involved in 24 goals so far in his first season for Man Utd, a team which are still on the rise post-SAF. I'm pretty sure we can all see the gradual improvement in his link-up play, a vital trait every no.9 should possess.

I guess personally the only thing that still bugs me about Lukaku is his shielding of the ball. We bought a tank, so please be a tank ffs. I've seen midgets like Mo Salah shielding the ball better than Big Rom. Once he utilises his upper body strength properly, with his link-up play, we will have a monster in our hands.

Jinn

The only thing I agree with the OP is that yes, I agree that I cannot see Lukaku being a starter for top European teams like Real, Barca and PSG. For now.

But that doesn't mean he cannot improve ffs. I don't get how the OP can make such a definitive statement like that. The epitome of knee jerk. Lukaku is only 24 years old. Why do fans these days have such little patience and extremely high standards. Like some of the posters have mentioned, Lukaku had been directly involved in 24 goals so far in his first season for Man Utd, a team which are still on the rise post-SAF. I'm pretty sure we can all see the gradual improvement in his link-up play, a vital trait every no.9 should possess.

I guess personally the only thing that still bugs me about Lukaku is his shielding of the ball. We bought a tank, so please be a tank ffs. I've seen midgets like Mo Salah shielding the ball better than Big Rom. Once he utilises his upper body strength properly, with his link-up play, we will have a monster in our hands.
It's because he doesn't have a great first touch. No use having the strength to hold of a defender when your first touch sends the ball back to another defender.
I think we can all agree that Lukaku has to improve and he's biggest problem is that he doesn't have the finesse like Sanchez et al.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Wow, pretty sure you'd have voted for Trump if you were American. You'd have to be really ignorant to make such a statement. I know you're not, then why? Are you trolling?
I don't know if it's even worth responding to you since you obviously haven't watched Real this season.

unitedforeveral

Someone needs to say it.

I'm not scapegoating Lukaku after our woeful performance against Tottenham as the whole team was atrocious but Lukaku simply isn't good enough.

Would you ever see Lukaku up front for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern or even PSG now.....no you wouldn't. He isn't a good enough footballer to play for those teams. Physicality with limited footballing ability can only take you so far in football and Everton was about his level. He never performs against the big teams and isn't especially good against the rest of the league at the moment. I know having a big physical striker up front is Mourinho's style but if he wants to do that then at least find someone who can control the ball and link up play reasonably well.

I can't imagine how much better we would be with a more technically gifted striker. If Lukaku is to stay then he really shouldn't be playing in the big games unless there's a drastic improvement in his play.

No way can I see us winning the league or the Champions League with him playing up front every game.
You're right. I guess Morata would've been a better fit for us. Lukaku although can improve and provide more stability at the top. Zlatan i know did a better job.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
He needs to produce in a big game before the end of the season. Right now other than Arsenal he's yet to be anything but awful against a top side. And including Arsenal given their defensive issues is being rather kind.

Yes the service hasn't always been great but he hasn't managed to impose himself or contribute in any meaningful way. That's not good enough. He has time but is running out of opportunities. If he can't do it we need to look for another solution for those games whether it's within the squad or in the market.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
He’s already had a decent return in his first season and is young enough to improve his gave a few levels up, all the while adjusting to the expectations of playing for this club. He’s our most forward playing player and whilst I agree he should hold the ball up better the service to him at times is non existent. Create chances for him and he’ll score goals, which is what we bought him for

Bobski

He’s already had a decent return in his first season and is young enough to improve his gave a few levels up, all the while adjusting to the expectations of playing for this club. He’s our most forward playing player and whilst I agree he should hold the ball up better the service to him at times is non existent. Create chances for him and he’ll score goals, which is what we bought him for
It is one part of what we bought him for. Without significant improvements in the rest I doubt he has a long career at Utd, Mou has never been slow in moving on.

Nickosaur

Our performances in the 'big' games has concerned me far more than Lukaku's performances.

Just because he's tall and strong, lumping it towards him and hoping for the best is not the right way to assess his ability. He's shown good technical ability when the balls on the floor. We need to create more space and link up play with the ball on the ground.

Fuzzy Dunlop

2016-2017 - We will never win the league with Zlatan, the Methuselah, up front; Pogba is the elephant in the room;

2017-2018 - We will never win the league with lukaku up front; We will never win the league with Pogba; Sanchez is too old and will disrupt rashford/martial development;

I can swear that some of you jerk off while writing those statements.

Michael John Doyle

Someone needs to say it.

I can't imagine how much better we would be with a more technically gifted striker. If Lukaku is to stay then he really shouldn't be playing in the big games unless there's a drastic improvement in his play.

No way can I see us winning the league or the Champions League with him playing up front every game.

#Personally i think players like Aguero and Lewy would struggle to shine with the rigid tactics Jose employs in games vs the big 6. Played 8, won 0 and scored 1... that screams tactics and overall team performance as opposed to 1 player. I agree with you about Lukaku playing for one of the elite teams, his first touch is brutal and some of his link up play is scandalous, but at his young age his goal tally is impressive and you would have to give him at least his first season to settle. If he is the same next season a move for Dybala or Icardi would be a necessity... along with a first choice LB, CB, CM and natural RW. Just my 2 cents on the situation

StonedhamsterZA

I still think he will come right when the team starts playing as more of a unit. It's a little sad to see that it's only him in the box when we have had a break-away or counter. I mean, besides Spurs, we haven't exactly been playing against HUGE opponents lately, and yet we rarely have a loaded box.

My issue with Lukaku, which Petit brought up during the halftime break last game, is that he's not putting in the effort to make space and runs. If the ball isn't pinged exactly where he wants it, he slumps his shoulders and just points forward accusingly. That's not going to win him any fans, as it's infuriating. Even if you're not getting great service - which in all honesty, he's not - he should be making an effort to come deep. It might not be 100% his 'style' of attacking, but he's going to get lynched with all this attitude, and lack of celebration etc.

Fergie Steps In

More bull. He's not a back to goal striker, if you get it into his feet on the half turn he will hold that ball up every time. Mouriniho with his obsessive need to boil a team down to 3 or 4 attacking plays is wasting him
Well said!

People warned about that issue before he was purchased from Everton.

SoCross

I like Lukaku but really feel he should do better when it comes to his movement. Too static, something I suppose could be said of much of our play. Sanchez will help in this aspect I feel, he will demand more.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Lukaku is a fine player and will definitely improve. He is a Jose type of forward, big and strong, like Drogba. He does have his flaws, and people were complaining that we failed to sign Morata instead, but where is Morata right now?

As long as he keeps scoring and fighting with the rest, I m happy with his performances so far, and yes I can see us winning titles with him.

Mush Yusuf

I think we all need to back our players more instead of getting on their backs as not every players is Messi.. Lukaku is only 24 and will come good mark my words he will improve thus improving us in all aspects.

Cloud7

One thing I have to question is the certainty with which so many are able to say Lukaku will improve and become a the level of striker that we need. Where does this come from?

He’s been in the league for years now, and for the most part he’s been the same player throughout. He’s far more likely to be playing similar to how he is now than he is to grow into a lewandowski or van persie.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I don't know if it's even worth responding to you since you obviously haven't watched Real this season.
Sure, that's what they're looking for to fix their issues. A Lukaku. Ok :rolleyes:

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I agree with the opening post

Lukaku ain't good enough

Doracle

It’s obviously not impossible for us to win the league with Lukaku up front. He’s not terrible and if we have 10 other quality players he wil score goals.

That said, in my view, he’s the worst leading CF we have had since Fergie won his first title in the early 90s. Cantona, Cole, Yorke, VN, Rooney, Tenez, VP were all far superior. He can improve but he has a long way to go. Ideally, a player of his quality would be our second choice, with a true world class CF leading the line week in week out.

Hitchez

The criticism is well over the top. He may very well end the season with 30 goals this season. He has scope for improvement but he's hardly the main problem.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'll never understand these "can he get into Madird/Barca" teams argument.

Sane wouldn't get into Madrid, Barca team as they have Ronaldo and Messi/Suarez/Dembele playing in attacking position, Fernandinho wouldn't get into Madrid/Barca teams, Stones won't either.

When Chelsea won PL last season, how many of their players would have walked into Madrid/Barca? except Hazard can't think of any.

Madird/Barca always (at least in last 10 years) had the best players in the world, it's not a shame or lack of quality if any player couldn't get into those teams.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
It’s obviously not impossible for us to win the league with Lukaku up front. He’s not terrible and if we have 10 other quality players he wil score goals.

That said, in my view, he’s the worst leading CF we have had since Fergie won his first title in the early 90s. Cantona, Cole, Yorke, VN, Rooney, Tenez, VP were all far superior. He can improve but he has a long way to go. Ideally, a player of his quality would be our second choice, with a true world class CF leading the line week in week out.
Calm down, we have had Rooney, Welbeck, RVP(2nd and 3rd season), Falcao and Zlatan who kept on missing chance after chance in the past few years.

Paul778

It's not just his finishing. We had him for pre-season and half a season up until now. However, it still seems that the rest of our forward line have no idea what his is going to do in a given situation.

It's like Lukaku trains separately from the rest of the squad.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's not just his finishing. We had him for pre-season and half a season up until now. However, it still seems that the rest of our forward line have no idea what his is going to do in a given situation.

It's like Lukaku trains separately from the rest of the squad.
Calm down.

It's his first season and he needs to sharpen up some aspects of his game. However he has scored vital goals to break the deadlock when last year we drew silly games.

Some of the analysis on here just makes me realise that some people have never watched football live!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
So they shouldn't or wouldn't in an "ideal" Madrid team. But we should, 'cos you know, we're just United. Ok :rolleyes::rolleyes:
How about you just read what's there and stop making presumptions for yourself.

Benzema has scored 2 goals for Real this season, he's been bad. You seriously think Lukaku would be worse for them? You think a player that consistently scores goals in the PL at a young age with smaller teams can't score goals in a team like Real?

Lukaku is better than what they got, ergo he could play for Real.