We will never win the league with Paul Pogba in the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
It s not outrageous to say I wouldnnot buy the current Pogba for 100 mils at the moment. He has great potential, but has yet to show he deserves having a team of our stature built around him based on the last 2 seasons
He was never worth 100m. Not his fault, but it's true.

For what he's brought (almost 2 seasons in now), he should be around the 60m mark...

Pogba 60m
VVD 35m
Coutinho 80m
Rom 60m

All seem about right.

Rhyme Animal

Play him on the LHS of a midfield 3, yes so he can clog up even more the area that Sanchez plays best in?
Give him a chance he will improve, yes a 25 year old with the mentality of a 15 year old.
Fergie would not let this guy anywhere near the first team. And the same goes for his compatriot Martial, who equally disappears in big/difficult matches. Both of them are flat track bullies, sell to Madrid for £200m and but two decent CMs who know their job plus a decent right winger.
Pogba is a liability not an asset.
You're right about SAF. He wouldn't allow players with that attitude on the pitch to be undroppable.

What does Pogba bring to make him undroppable...?

But you're wrong about Madrid - there's no way anyone would be bidding more than 60/70m for him now - which is probably about right.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You're right about SAF. He wouldn't allow players with attitude on the pitch to be undroppable.

What does Pogba btring to make him undroppable...?

But you're wrong about Madrid - there's no way anyone would be bidding more than 60/70m for him now - which is probably about right.
:lol: fecking VVD was sold for 75 Million and you think no one bids more than 70 Million for Pogba?

One bad game and everyone who are waiting from last 6-7 months are back.

What does Pogba brings to the team? Not sure that's a serious question.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
While i think the theme of this thread is bonkers! i do think their is something to be said for an issue of consistency of Pogba when played in a midfield two.

Its well know to even his biggest fans that the guy can go missing from games, its also hard to argue that his best performances at Juve came as part of a midfield 3, and came here with a reputation of struggling in a two man midfield something which his displays in his first season with us went along way to solidifying.

On the flip-side his performances for the most part this season have been a lot more consistent since we put a proper defensive midfielder beside him(Matic), though i would still argue his best performance this season was against Everton when we played a midfield 3.

So guess their is a few ways of looking at Pogba's frankly Sh!te performance yesterday: 1, it was a blip, 2 it was a revert to type. For me i found it a gentle reminder that while Pogba is undoubtedly our most talented player, he isn't always the most consistent and we arn't using him in a system that best suits him so are likly to always have issues against teams who over load the midfield with quick tempo passing and movement.

Rhyme Animal

:lol: fecking VVD was sold for 75 Million and you think no one bids more than 70 Million for Pogba?

One bad game and everyone who are waiting from last 6-7 months are back.

What does Pogba brings to the team? Not sure that's a serious question.
Liverpool overpaid, comically.

It's not one bad game with Pogba - it's a constant string of going missing at the most important of times, continual awful decision making (even in his good games) and a lack of true quality when it matters most.

He's a talented player against opposition that give him room, but the slightest of presses and he folds...

Added to that, he doesn't really have a true position - an attribute that has become more and more clear these last 2 seasons.

The season before he joined we won the FA Cup. So it's not like we were incapable of competing before him.

We've gotten worse in big games since he joined (and started every big game that he's available for), think about that.

If you were an oppo manager of a decent team, facing Pogba, what would you be saying to your team...? Would you be scared? Or would you look forward to putting the press on him and basically knowing that you'll be playing against a team with one fecking proper midfielder (Matic)?

Like I said, I like Pogba. I want him to come good. But we're an elite club, and Pogba is on an elite wage.

As of yet. he doesn't deserve this status at Man Utd, as he's done nothing to earn it.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The only really ridiculous part of the OP is the title, since obviously our prospects of winning the league are not dependent on whether or not Pogba is in the team. It's about his role as the centrepiece of the team. I've seen some suggest the solution is to build the team around him, but whether it's in a midfield 2 or 3 I can't think of a worse approach to handling him based on what I've seen in the last 18 months. I think he can be a valuable element in a successful team but not one we should ever be dependent on. I hope (and expect) that we'll really focus on getting in top-drawer quality characters in the central midfield areas this summer, not so that we can "free up Pogba" or whatever in a positional sense, but so we can take the weight of responsibility, that I don't think he can handle, off him.

We are seriously lacking title-winning leadership all over the pitch, and the vacuum in the midfield is largely down to the pressure put on him to perform a leadership role.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

It's not one bad game with Pogba - it's a constant string of going missing at the most important of times, continual awful decision making (even in his good games) and a lack of true quality when it matters most.

What has Pogba actually brought to us in almost 2 seasons? I like the guy, but this is a hype job. He's a talented player against opposition that give him room, but the slightest of presses and he folds...

Added to that, he doesn't really have a true position - an attribute that has become more and more clear these last 2 seasons.

And yes, it's a serious question, what has he brought to Man Utd in 2 seasons? Mkhi was as important to us winning the EL as Pogba was.

The season before he joined we won the FA Cup. So it's not like we were incapable of competing before him.

We've gotten worse in big games since he joined (and started every big game that he's available for), think about that.

If you were an oppo manager of a decent team, facing Pogba, what would you be saying to your team...? Would you be scared? Or would you look forward to putting the press on him and basically knowing that you'll be playing against a team with one fecking proper midfielder (Matic)?

Like I said, I like Pogba. I want him to come good. But we're an elite club, and Pogba is on an elite wage.

As of yet. he doesn't deserve this status at Man Utd, as he's done nothing to earn it.
There isn't a midfielder who can spread the game and play passes like Pogba at ManUtd. If you are seriously asking what he brings to the team then there is no point in even continuing this. Maybe that answers your low valuation post.

Btw if he doesn't have a true position then problem is not player, it's coach. He was always part of midfield 3 at Juventus.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There should be a license to start threads, because lately some on here have been absolutely ridiculous. Lukaku's was ridiculous, this one is embarrassing. It's like you lot have forgotten how Manchester United looks without Pogba. He's absolutely one of the best players in the league, and he'll create opportunities as long as he's properly utilized; which he wasn't against Tottenham.

Honestly hyperbole threads like this shouldn't even exist. It's just a lazy attempt at controversy that actually serves no purpose of discussion. Waste of a thread.

Canagel

I've just accepted Mourinho isn't the manager to get the best out of Pogba. We shouldn't be having this debate and confusion over Pogba's best position 1 and half years after his arrival. Under Conte and Allegri he was immense but Mourinho doesn't know how to utilize Pogba and he's been here nearly 2 years.

Josep Dowling

Reactionary threat but the points are valid. Against the better side he is terrible in a midfield two. I am surprised that Mourinho went with a midfield two against Spurs, he never does that. Are we getting a situation now where we are once again fitting all our top players into a system that simply doesn't work?

The minute I saw the team I just thought the midfield would get overrun because Pogba does not do his defensive duties. Anyway the whole team performed just as bad last night. Probably one of the worst displays I've seen under Jose.

unitedforeveral

I saw him making effort throughout but we were without the ball for most of the second half and i guess one player cannot change anything.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
How am I still a newbie and there are posts like this.
:D

Didn't expect this to be a serious OP when I saw the title, expected it to be a joke based on the Lukaku thread.

Pogba is clearly more useful than Lukaku in big games, just need to use him in a midfield three. Other than that I guess we just need to hope that he will mature and step up in big games in the future. It's a mental thing, not a question of ability or physicality, luckily.

Adebesi

Can't believe how many people actually believe the OP is serious.

The world has gone mad. Madder.
Do you think its a complete joke? I feel like Noods often sensationalises his posts for effect - butunderneath all that I think he is making a serious point that he believes.

For my part I definitely think Pogba can be part of a PL winning side. But yes, we have a right to expect and demand more from him in big games. He'll get there.

GreenHeron

We were 2 v 5 in midfield for a lot of the time last night. Son, Eriksen and Alli all play very centrally and all are involved in the press and in helping out Dembele and Dier.

Other than Sanchez occasionally, our forwards did not help out in midfield and our centre halves are scared of receiving the ball under pressure.

It's difficult to blame Pogba - or Matic - when our tactics made it virtually impossible for them in the first place.

Lentwood

It’s too easy in football to blame individuals and it’s rarely the answer.

The players we had on that pitch last night where better than the individuals Spurs had on the pitch

I have supported Jose in virtually every decision he has made as Utd manager but last night was an utter debacle and it’s on him

You CANNOT go into a game of football of that magnitude against a team like Spurs with what effectively is a single player in midfield. It doesnt matter who that player is, they are going to get overrun.

Then it doesn’t matter who your CBs are, marking man for man, constantly having to turn to face their own goal and being left constantly with runners either side and in behind, it’s going to be a shambles

We were dismantled last night in a way a Conference team would be embarrassed about. If we have to go away and park the bus, then park the bus, don’t let the media pressure us into kamikaze tactics like last night.

ghagua

Don't want to single out just Pogba, but our midfield is absolutely shite. It's shocking when you consider that we have Matic and Pogba there. I know everyone loves to blame Smalling's passing ability, but he is not the problem. We have no defensive cover in midfield when the opposition has the ball, which is shocking as Matic is considered a defensive midfielder. It's not just the Spurs game, our midfield has been dominated by a lot of teams, especially the top 6. Watched yesterday's game and it looked as if Matic and Pogba had no fight in them footballing wise.

Another thing is our entire team's composure when we play a decent team. Ball possession and passing is at non league level when under any kind of pressure.

Dave1812

Load of rubbish course we can win league with Pogba. The problem is when he is the team and we are playing against a good team we have to play with a 3 man midfield. I can't understand for the life of me why against Everton away he plays 3 in midfield and we play well and win and then against Spurs who are a better team and also play on a bigger pitch we play a 2 man midfield its just really poor management.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Big game. Poor opposition.

Ha. Robson was literally number 7. Didn’t mean he was a right winger.
Considering the wide range of formations played these days, I don't really get the thing about referring to positions as numbers. Just a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Craig Bellendy

Wow.. all players have off days you cant judge the guy based on 1 bad perfermance away to spurs (a good team) Thanks for the laugh tho, i almost spat my coffee across the room reading this :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Coops73

Are you for real? Look at his previous posts regarding Pogba. It's agenda driven bollox, is what it is.
Don’t worry, there’s another thread which is a wind up about De Gea, perhaps it was posted in response to this one but what would I know? seems some threads are made up just so people can cnut you off for falling for it

DancingPanda

The OP is talking about him as he was nearly 30 and didn't have time left to mature. He has all the time in the world to do that. He need to be more consistent though, and that will come with age and experience. He actually reminds me of Zlatan when he was in the same age. Disappeared in the big games, walked around nonchalantly and didn't do what was needed of him on the pitch. That will change, because the incredible talent is clearly there. You can see it in almost every game, and I'm sure that 27 year old Pogba will be one of the best midfielders in the game. You just need to be more patient.

Robbie Boy

Don’t worry, there’s another thread which is a wind up about De Gea, perhaps it was posted in response to this one but what would I know? seems some threads are made up just so people can cnut you off for falling for it
The DDG one is a piss take. This was made in response to the Lukaku one. I get it that it was slightly in jest, but the OP has form for giving Pogba stick.

Full bodied red

He's a talented player against opposition that give him room, but the slightest of presses and he folds...

Won't argue with most of what you say there....

But having watched him virtually every match he played for Juve and France before he arrived, I wasn't really expecting much more than we've seen so far

Despite the hype ( which he encourages ) and transfer fee ( which was not his fault ) I've always seen him as a pretty good player, but certainly not as a world class player and not even as a top class, top class player.

I think if he'd gone to The Scousers or Abu Dhabi Athletic for £90 million and put in the same performances over the past 18 months as he has done for us, there'd be more than a few piss-taking comments on here.

I'll give him the rest of this season - but if, next season, he doesn't improve on his consistency AND decision making AND tracking back to defend, then I'll feel more than justified in thinking he's been a very expensive mistake.

Interval

Level
No one wants to say it because he has ability and cost a shite load of money, but it's more true than the thread saying the same about Lukaku.

Pogba is a playground footballer. Turns up to show off in games where the opposition are poor enough to allow us the luxury of him doing so. As soon as the team need him however, you can forget it.

He is more interested in inventing silly handshake routines, showing off, and wanting people to look at his hair, than he ever will be in working hard to help his team win a game.

He has the selfishness of a Gerrard or a Ronaldo but without any of the desire, determination, or basic maturity to go with it, and he's 24 years old. It is unlikely at this point he will ever grow up, and that means he will never be more than a liability in any game where it is important for him to put in work for the benefit of the team.

The idea some people have of playing him further forward because he doesn't work hard enough to play in central midfield is a nonsense...as if playing him in another position somehow makes it less important that he works hard. In a succesful team, every player works harder than Paul Pogba ever does.

The fact is that he is on a pedestal as United's best player, but when you look at City (i.e. the team top of the league), if Paul Pogba played for them in the same way he does for United, he would be told to either grow up or feck off. He wouldn't get close to getting a game for them unless he had a serious change of attitude. At United he seems to go completely unchecked for it because he can showboat around onceor twice every ten games, against the likes of Stoke.
Embarrassingly enough for me, I agree. Was thinking pretty much the same thing yesterday. Our 'marquee' players just don't stand up and be counted when it matters. Pogba just struts around trying to do cheeky little things instead of driving the team

Sing you a song

People are forever pointing out that He was world class in a midfield 3 at Juventus , but the Italian league is a million miles away from the prem .It is much slower allowing Pogba all the time in the world on the ball to do his fancy flicks and tricksy.The prem is a completely different animal,he has to pick up the pace, be more aggressive and act quicker .
It's embarrassing that Debruyne a much cheaper buy is a far better player than him stamping his class on every game and scoring lots of goals

Verminator

Obvious satire.
I hope. :nervous:

It does raise a question common in a lot of threads though.
Why do we pay top dollar for players who are experts in a position, or who excel in specific systems, and then expect them to do a different job for us?

Why buy Pogba or Matic for that matter, and play them centrally in a 2 man mid?
Why buy Lukaku and never cross the ball, and expect him to be a target man?
Why play strikers as wingers and wingers as fullbacks?
We have the resources to put square pegs in square holes, but constantly seem to be making do.

Vilev

I actually afraid that Fergie called it right on some level. And that while being incredibly talented and gifted, Pogba just has this daunting personality, the kind that will never allow him to be leader in the team and produce greatest performances when it would matter most, give 150% of yourself in these tough situations for the team. Something that all great players do.
He does not have character for it. Of course in terms of maturity the guy is still young, i mean 24, we look at it from the football point of view and it seems like a middle age of sorts. But actually in non-sport world that is a guy who just finished uni, well maybe two years ago, and most likely on his first serious job, still getting his bearings etc. So he might grow up and change.
But right now i say that his character flaws are obviously limiting him in what he can achieve. I spoke with a couple of french guys after 2016 and all of them said that Pogba did not perform in a way they expected that he was too soft in a way.

Fully Fledged

Did anybody bother reading the whole OP? I gave up after the playground footballer part. I just highlighted the post to make sure there was no white text and popped down here to see if anybody took it seriously enough to read it all.

el3mel

I actually afraid that Fergie called it right on some level. And that while being incredibly talented and gifted, Pogba just has this daunting personality, the kind that will never allow him to be leader in the team and produce greatest performances when it would matter most, give 150% of yourself in these tough situations for the team. Something that all great players do.
He does not have character for it. Of course in terms of maturity the guy is still young, i mean 24, we look at it from the football point of view and it seems like a middle age of sorts. But actually in non-sport world that is a guy who just finished uni, well maybe two years ago, and most likely on his first serious job, still getting his bearings etc. So he might grow up and change.
But right now i say that his character flaws are obviously limiting him in what he can achieve. I spoke with a couple of french guys after 2016 and all of them said that Pogba did not perform in a way they expected that he was too soft in a way.
What ? Fergus wanted him to stay. He just though he's not ready yet to play and Pogba was the one wanted to leave to get chances and Raiola helped him on this.

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
If we cannot use him properly then of course we cannot win anything with him.

littlepeasoup

We lose a game, we're the worst team in the history of football. A player plays poorly, he's the worst player in the squad.

If y'all react this badly to losing a game of football, I seriously worry for you as functioning human beings.

el3mel

He also thought that Pogba's head was not 100% in the game and that is why he slowed his inclusion.
Pogba was a youngster at this time. Fergie believed in his talent but he thought he's still not ready to play in the starting 11 while Pogba though he can, so he decided to leave. What you have posted makes it as if Fergie Pogba is talent but will never be good enough for a title winning team so decided to let him, complete nonsense.

Robbie Boy

One of the worst threads I have ever seen.
Yup. Don't believe it's 'satire' for one minute, either. What's worse is that some have agreed. Funnily enough, his critics went into hiding when he was playing excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.