We will win the league this season | Champions as it Stands

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I confess to not having seen much of Sancho in action. I put this question, if he is as good as you say why wasn't he starting for England?
Because Southgate picks an ultra conservative side and every player is selected based off their defensive work rate. Sterling, Saka and Foden do more defensive work, so Grealish, Sancho and Rashford didn't play much as they don't do much defensively. Southgate also isn't an adventurous or brave coach, he'll go for ultra conservative and not risk takers in attack. That's all there is to it. International manager selections have very little to do with how they stack up as players IMO. He had a particular style in mind for the euros which ended up costing him due to cowardly tactics, though he almost won it anyway.

Sancho, based on what he's done on the pitch, is undoubtedly a generational talent and has the stats to back that up. He's going to improve us massively in attack. My worry is I still don't see a balanced midfield and that'll hold us back.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
For me, unless De Gea recaptures his best form and on a consistent basis, the GK position could be a problem with the jury still out on Henderson, I feel Utd missed a trick in not actively pursuing Donnarumma before he signed up for PSG, a big imposing young and talented keeper like him behind Maguire and Varane would have been solid.
How many Riaola players can one club handle at any one time?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The big games are won in the midfield - that's a cliche but I don't think it's true. The big games are won by strikers. We have great strikers and we are usually defensively strong in big games (see all those 0-0s last year).
really? "great" strikers? can you name those who scored more than 20 PL goals last season? Bruno scored most in the league with 18 goals. Rashford only just managed to get into double figures. I was mocked this time last year for saying Rashford and Martial wouldn't get half the number of "real" goal scorers.

Mason may or may not turn into a "goal machine" and as much as like him, we need to buy someone who (as much as possible) guarantees us 20+ goals in the league. The last time we di that (RvP) was the last time we won the title

really? "great" strikers? can you name those who scored more than 20 PL goals last season? Bruno scored most in the league with 18 goals. Rashford only just managed to get into double figures. I was mocked this time last year for saying Rashford and Martial wouldn't get half the number of "real" goal scorers.

Mason may or may not turn into a "goal machine" and as much as like him, we need to buy someone who (as much as possible) guarantees us 20+ goals in the league. The last time we di that (RvP) was the last time we won the title
Looking round the league, i reckon the only striker who gets into our team is Kane. He probably guarantees us 20+ league goals, but he would also cost like £150m and require us restructuring the rest of the team to get the best out of him. I don't think that's a good use of our resources, especially as Kane has been the most prolific striker in the league for ages now and spurs have barely even challenged in that time.

Cavani + Martial + Greenwood is the envy of any team in the league (and yeah, Martial is still a quality option despite being shit last season). Who do you think are 'real goalscorers' in the league who are guaranteed to outscore our options?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Looking round the league, i reckon the only striker who gets into our team is Kane. He probably guarantees us 20+ league goals, but he would also cost like £150m and require us restructuring the rest of the team to get the best out of him. I don't think that's a good use of our resources, especially as Kane has been the most prolific striker in the league for ages now and spurs have barely even challenged in that time.

Cavani + Martial + Greenwood is the envy of any team in the league (and yeah, Martial is still a quality option despite being shit last season). Who do you think are 'real goalscorers' in the league who are guaranteed to outscore our options?
Not necessarily sticking to the PL, but yes, I think we should be in for Kane - not sure we need to "restructure". In what way? the guy scores for Spurs who aren't brilliant at creating and for England. I reckon Sancho could craete lots of goals for him and I'm positive Bruno would.

There is also, of course, Halaand. Seems to me we are taking a huge risk in hoping we an attract him next season. It does seem the plan is to go with what we've got for this season and then throw everything at Dortmund this time next year. But will other suitors have the money by then to attract him; I am worried they will.

In the meantime we remain light up front, especially of Cavani or Mason get injured. Your faith in Martial makes me laugh, I'm afraid.

And then there is the greatest player of all time... Ronaldo has at least two very good seasons left in him, if you ask me

Not necessarily sticking to the PL, but yes, I think we should be in for Kane - not sure we need to "restructure". In what way? the guy scores for Spurs who aren't brilliant at creating and for England. I reckon Sancho could craete lots of goals for him and I'm positive Bruno would.

There is also, of course, Halaand. Seems to me we are taking a huge risk in hoping we an attract him next season. It does seem the plan is to go with what we've got for this season and then throw everything at Dortmund this time next year. But will other suitors have the money by then to attract him; I am worried they will.

In the meantime we remain light up front, especially of Cavani or Mason get injured. Your faith in Martial makes me laugh, I'm afraid.

And then there is the greatest player of all time... Ronaldo has at least two very good seasons left in him, if you ask me
I think we should go for Haaland next year. Cavani has done well as a box striker for us. Haaland is that, Kane isn't.

For England Southgate thought he could just throw Kane into the team and he'd score goals just cos of how good he was, and mainly Kane was poor. He likes to link the play from deep, and we already have loads of players who are better than him at that (bruno, pogba, probably sancho too). We need a box striker and I'd rather we waited for a good one of them to become available than just pump loads of money into Kane purely because he scores loads of goals. Let's try team-building rather than just buying good players - the 'let's buy him cos he's good' model failed us horribly in the van gaal/Mourinho years.

I wouldn't go for Ronaldo as he's like 37 and slowing down, he'd be really expensive, and it's a massive risk to assume that he'd come to the pl, settle immediately, and then get 20 goals in the league. Even if he did that we'd need another striker one season later anyway.

I'd prefer we properly scouted the available strikers and went for someone who does the same things that Cavani does, because we've seen that type of striker can be really effective for us in this team. And I think there are like 3 strikers in the world who would definitely improve us.

I wish our fanbase had a memory that went back more than 6 months. Martial was really fecking good in 2019/2020, and it's crazy how many of you are willing to just entirely write him off.

Robbie Boy

I'm expecting us to come damn close. We might be a season away from winning it but I expect a proper challenge.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town

Cavani could get 20+ with having had a rest over the summer, is now familiar with the Premier League and his teammates and a whole season ahead.

Brightonian

Cavani could get 20+ with having had a rest over the summer, is now familiar with the Premier League and his teammates and a whole season ahead.
Yep. The way he actually played last season when available, he looked like a 20-goal striker, easy. He also massively improved our balance as a team when he played. If he plays most games, he's amongst the best strikers in the league. The issue of course is that there's every chance he might not be massively available this season either. His age certainly doesn't seem to have hurt his stamina yet, he's clearly fit as a fiddle. But it does probably contribute to making him somewhat injury prone.

BaillyBaillyBailly

I think we should go for Haaland next year. Cavani has done well as a box striker for us. Haaland is that, Kane isn't.

For England Southgate thought he could just throw Kane into the team and he'd score goals just cos of how good he was, and mainly Kane was poor. He likes to link the play from deep, and we already have loads of players who are better than him at that (bruno, pogba, probably sancho too). We need a box striker and I'd rather we waited for a good one of them to become available than just pump loads of money into Kane purely because he scores loads of goals. Let's try team-building rather than just buying good players - the 'let's buy him cos he's good' model failed us horribly in the van gaal/Mourinho years.

I wouldn't go for Ronaldo as he's like 37 and slowing down, he'd be really expensive, and it's a massive risk to assume that he'd come to the pl, settle immediately, and then get 20 goals in the league. Even if he did that we'd need another striker one season later anyway.

I'd prefer we properly scouted the available strikers and went for someone who does the same things that Cavani does, because we've seen that type of striker can be really effective for us in this team. And I think there are like 3 strikers in the world who would definitely improve us.

I wish our fanbase had a memory that went back more than 6 months. Martial was really fecking good in 2019/2020, and it's crazy how many of you are willing to just entirely write him off.
I agree with most of this. Care to share who you think the three strikers who would improve us are?

meamth

I'm really really excited to see Sancho and Cavani combined.

That will be the surprise package this season.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

I agree with much of what you say but no about Ronaldo: he's still fit as hell, knows the PL and is, as far as I'm concerned, the greatest of all time

I agree with most of this. Care to share who you think the three strikers who would improve us are?
Haaland, Lewandowski and M'bappe (with the caveat that Kane is clearly good enough to walk into our starting 11, but I reckon you'd see more disjointedness around our attack with kane playing in a way that makes the team less effective). And M'bappe isn't exactly a box striker, but he can do just about anything a striker needs to.

Lewandowski is old and really difficult to get, Mbappe is basically unobtainable, and I think Kane could be bought for £150m. Kane is a massive risk cos I'm not sure how well he handles pressure (tends not to perform in the biggest games) and he would be under sooo much pressure at United.

So all eyes on Haaland. He's got a release clause that kicks in next summer, so he won't go until then anyway. In the meantime, maybe someone else turns up who fits what we're looking for.

I'm sort of ruling Ronaldo out because he's really old and I don't think it's a good idea to go back. Also I don't think he's the sure thing he was 2 years ago, and he really doesn't add much to a team beyond finishing. He shouldn't displace Cavani because Cavani's pressing is amazing and you don't get that with Ronaldo.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'm expecting us to come damn close. We might be a season away from winning it but I expect a proper challenge.
Problem is what some would deem as a proper challenge - ie 2-5 points away from 1st - is seen as positive progress now but will be spun around into 'another choking' by the moaners at seasons end.

Robbie Boy

Problem is what some would deem as a proper challenge - ie 2-5 points away from 1st - is seen as positive progress now but will be spun around into 'another choking' by the moaners at seasons end.
Close is being in a challenge with let's say, 3 games to go, having a genuine chance of winning the title. 2 to 5 points off top would be big progress. I don't expect us to win it - we might - but I expect a damn good challenge.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
come back top us "moaners" when we are only two points away from City at the end of the season. I'm not sure we will even finish second...

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Because Southgate picks an ultra conservative side and every player is selected based off their defensive work rate. Sterling, Saka and Foden do more defensive work, so Grealish, Sancho and Rashford didn't play much as they don't do much defensively. Southgate also isn't an adventurous or brave coach, he'll go for ultra conservative and not risk takers in attack. That's all there is to it. International manager selections have very little to do with how they stack up as players IMO. He had a particular style in mind for the euros which ended up costing him due to cowardly tactics, though he almost won it anyway.

Sancho, based on what he's done on the pitch, is undoubtedly a generational talent and has the stats to back that up. He's going to improve us massively in attack. My worry is I still don't see a balanced midfield and that'll hold us back.
Cheers. I agree about Southgate.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Chelsea have a much more functional midfield. Ours is either to unbalanced with Bruno-Pogba-Fred/Mctominay or to weak with Bruno-McFred. The big games are won in the midfield so we need to strengthen here with either 1 class player or two if Pogba goes. If this happends we should be able to fight for the title to the end, if not Solskjaer needs to go.
What does "functional" even mean? They have a decent energetic midfield that revolves around Kante being at his best, but it's also seriously lacking any sort of creativity.

People value grafting midfielders far too much for my liking when they generally bring attributes to the table that are easy to find. Chelsea is a very gritty team that Tuchel sets up as difficult to beat first and foremost, but in terms of individual quality we really should be blowing them away.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I think in the forthcoming season its vital Man Utd stop conceding the 1st goal as they did in too many games last time.

I have read some discussion about how having no fans in grounds made some difference to the usual statistics: teams having home advantage. But many people said to me it all equals out over a full league & maybe it does for mid-table teams with moderate attendances who most of the season meet other mid-table teams with similar attendances.

But I haven’t read much about this: for Manchester Utd’s players, the pressure for success, especially league success, is becoming massive. Imagine going behind at home, with 75,000 fans on your back…. I think Man Utd. were able to turn around many matches last season because of the Covid-19 ban on crowds, but this season that won’t be the case.

Keeping solid at the back and scoring first is vital if Man Utd. are to mount a serious challenge, some comebacks will happen, for sure - but they wont be as easy to achieve as last season, with an unhappy crowd adding that extra pressure.

If people don’t believe me, just think back to the match day threads from 2021-22: total melt-down when Utd. conceded first.

The other thing I wanted to say is also pressure related. It is vital Man Utd. have a really good start. Look up north to Scotland - this time last week I'd already put money on Rangers to win the league with Celtic second, but after the first round of fixtures (Rangers winning, Celtic losing) well the bookies might as well pay up already.

It is not quite like that down here - but if there is any sort of gap between Chelsea and Manchester City and the rest by October, it could pretty much become a two-horse race and I really hope that doesn't happen.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As it stands City still need a CF.

Even assuming they sign Kane along with Grealish though, it still doesn't guarantee them the league this season by any stretch of the imagination, let alone for the next several years. They've had great teams in the past with the likes of Silva and Aguero in their pomp and still missed out on the title. Injuries happen, players hit poor form, teams underperform.

In 18/19 they won the league with a massive 98 points. That summer they signed Cancelo & Rodri for approx 100m combined, while their nearest rivals' biggest signing was Minamino for about 7m. Yet Liverpool still strolled away with the league in 19/20.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We should be closer to City at least. Their improvement with Grealish basically replacing Bernardo should be noticeable but not huge due to the quality of player being replaced. On the other hand us replacing Lindelof with Varane and Martial with Sancho should have a sizable impact hopefully.

justsomebloke

Fan previews in The Guardian: Premier League 2021-22 fan previews, part two: Liverpool to Wolves | Football | The Guardian

Not exactly scientific of course, but maybe a reasonable indication of the broad outlines of expectation among fans around the league. It doesn't seem to be a widely shared expectation that we'll win the title, to put it gently. Only one of the previews think so, guess which. :)

But I like that. We've something to prove, and we may have enough quality that we will.

Fussball13251

City are probably winning it for another three years straight.

It's the premier league. Look how Leicester beat them in the Community Shield which every manager wants to win.

De Bruyne is still their key playmaker. When he's not fit they are way more susceptible to losing.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It's the premier league. Look how Leicester beat them in the Community Shield which every manager wants to win.

De Bruyne is still their key playmaker. When he's not fit they are way more susceptible to losing.
It was hardly City's first XI in the community shield - and sine when does every manager want to win it? or are you being ironic?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Daily Mirror reporting. If true, we can give up any hope of a title challenge. Everyone knows we were 3-4 (possibly even five) players shot last season. We need to get Edwin VdS in as woodward's replacement asap before we descend into mediocracy for years on end
  • Manchester United have ended their interest in signing Atletico Madrid defender Kieran Trippier and will not make any further signings this summer.

Mickson

People who think we will win the league under Solskjaer against Klopp, Tuchel and Pep are seriously delusional.

Mike Smalling

We have two fairly average goalkeepers (unless De Gea reverts back to his previous level), and a serious lack of quality in midfield. City and Chelsea have strengthened. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

CG1010

If Ole wins the title against Pep who has added Grealish (and potentially Kane as well) to a title winning machine, he will establish himself as one of the best managers around. I would ascribe about 15% chance of us winning the PL this season, with City having a 50% likelihood, and Chelsea and Liverpool having 15% and 10% respectively. Remaining 10% chance for a surprise victory.

Mickson

We have two fairly average goalkeepers (unless De Gea reverts back to his previous level), and a serious lack of quality in midfield. City and Chelsea have strengthened. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.
Every team has its weakness. No way we can blame the squad again. It's Ole's players now.

RedfromIreland

Daily Mirror reporting. If true, we can give up any hope of a title challenge. Everyone knows we were 3-4 (possibly even five) players shot last season. We need to get Edwin VdS in as woodward's replacement asap before we descend into mediocracy for years on end
  • Manchester United have ended their interest in signing Atletico Madrid defender Kieran Trippier and will not make any further signings this summer.
No wonder we faded away in the end.

sp_107

In this generation we not only need top class talent but also we should use technology to its best.I know we have a data analasys team to provide feedback to Ole which will be used in training.

I am wondering why cant we use tools like Track-160/Deep Learning / Data Science and use those stats to change our formations / bring in the players and counter attack opposite team tactics even during the match ( I mean Ole taking that feedback from our backroom technology staff during the match)

May be that can win us the league

MUFC OK

Simply put, midfield is not good enough. I also have doubts about Cavani's fitness.

If we add a Neves or similar we have a good chance but City and Chelsea will finish above us with our current squad.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
In this generation we not only need top class talent but also we should use technology to its best.I know we have a data analasys team to provide feedback to Ole which will be used in training.

I am wondering why cant we use tools like Track-160/Deep Learning / Data Science and use those stats to change our formations / bring in the players and counter attack opposite team tactics even during the match ( I mean Ole taking that feedback from our backroom technology staff during the match)

May be that can win us the league
might be nice if we didn't keep losing our scouts/youth set-up too. Lyndon Tomlinson has joined Mark Anderson out of the door following Nicky But't's departure a while ago