Weekend Review - John O'Shea, and some people who are worse than him at goalkeeping

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Second week in and already we've had great goals, dodgy defending, and Gary Neville's scarily untached face. In order not to dwell on that though, let's get straight to it:

The legacy of John O'Shea - Manchester United have developed a trick in recent years where in they are no longer shackled by needing to play players in positions they can actually play in. Instead, being able to just slot any player in anywhere they like, and then blaming the subsequent defeat that would usually follow on tiredness, or the referee being too fat. This radical new way of thinking can be attributed mainly to the discovery of John O'Shea, a man born with the unique ability to be equally incapable of playing well in every single position on the pitch. Now, many years on, and even with John O'Shea departed, United have continued with the traditions he inspired.

On Monday night, Michael Carrick, the midfielder, played at centreback. This in fairness could be attributed to there being no actual fit centreback to play there instead of him. Meanwhile however, Antonio Valencia (the winger) played at fullback, while Danny Welbeck (the striker) played on the left-wing. Rafael Da Silva (the fullback) and Ashley Young (the left-sided winger) were deemed surplus to requirements on the evening.

Now, in line with this trailblazing new way of thinking, if one of the wheels on my car developed a flat tyre, and I had a spare tyre in the boot, would I become an innovative tactical genius if instead of using the spare tyre, I attached the steering wheel to the side of the car and then drove home using the handbreak as a make shift turning mechanism? Or would this just makeme some kind ofcomplete fecking moron?

Nani corners - In this day and age, players have every single aspect and detail of every single game or training session they participate in analysed, in order to enhance performance in every smallest way possible and try to make that slight bit of difference to the team as a whole. Clubs spend endless hours preparing for every possible detail for every single game. Entire teams of dweeby nerds are employed to monitor and computerize endless pages of stats and figures. Tirelessly working to leave no stone, pebble or grain of sand unturned. Yet despite all this, in five years, no one at Manchester United has bothered to tell Nani he's shit at taking corners?

Football management, with QPR - Here's how the running of QPR football club seems to work:

-concede more than 3 goals in 1 game= buy more defending type players

- Score less than 2 goals in any 1 game = buy more attacking type players.

...and that's it. The quality of any potential signings is then gauged purely on whether or not they used to play for a big team. For example, a player who once played for Chelsea would be deemed better than a player of much younger age and better ability currently playing for West Brom. As a result QPR now have a squad of outcasted reject players who are too old, and either defend or attack a lot, with some people randomly stuck in the middle of the pitch who don't really know which of the two they're supposed to be doing, since QPR's squad management method doesn't take into account the middle third of the pitch actually existing. This is in reality the needlessly expensive method of buying a ticket on the relegation train, while pundits spend all season remarking that you're "too good to be relegated" (then changing their mind to "no one's too good to be relegated" around March time). The only surprise is that neither Teddy Sheringham or Sol Campbell have cropped up at Loftus Road yet.

Goalkeeping tutorial

Good news for any aspiring young goalkeepers this week, as some of the world's top shotstoppers have taken time out to provide demonstrative coaching techniques, completely free of charge, and available to a worldwide audience:

Dealing with dangerous freekicks, with Peter Cech - First, position your wall in line with the near post, making sure it is not weak or disjointed. Then, position yourself in relation to the wall to gain as clear a view as possible and cover any part of the goal a shot might realistically be able to reach. When the shot comes in, sprawl across and make the save, crumple to the floor and simply scoop the ball haplessly into your own net. For added dramatic effect, glance around in amazement as if god himself couldn't have prevented this from happening.

Dealing with simple backpasses, with Victor Valdes - First, make sure you are a clear distance from any opposing player, and that there is also no opposing player in a position to intercept any would be pass to you from your defender. Then, make yourself available to receive a simple ball into feet. Once you receive the pass, stand completely still and do nothing at all until an opposing player runs in and tries to tackle you. At this point, spin around in a circle and fall over whilst flailing your arms as if having some kind of fit, allowing the opposing player to tap the ball into an empty net. Make sure you do this feebly enough for the referee not to accidentally think you've been fouled.

Commanding your area from crosses, with David De Gea - Position yourself at the near post. When the cross comes in, carefully judge the flight of the ball, paying attention to the position of your defenders and any opposing players. Then, somehow hurl yourself away from your own goal area in order to leave an unguarded net, whilst simultaneously jumping directly in front of your defender in order to put him off, and managing to miss the ball entirely. Make sure you land in a crumpled heap at least a metre wide of the goal mouth, so that in the event your defender still does manage to temporarily clear the ball, any opposition player can simply tap it into an empty net. Glare accusingly at your defender whilst sporting a shit looking haircut.

Defending tutorial:

How to defend, with Rafael Da Silva - Attack everything!

The voice of ultimate depression - I guarantee that the guy who works as the stadium announcer at Anfield has absolutely no living relatives or friends. This is because he'll have driven them all to suicide by talking to them in his dull, toneless voice once too often (once). Computer nerds familiar with the original Team Fortress series will recognise him as the "Blue team, has captured, the flag" guy. He's also sometimes employed at Liverpool Lime Street to announce train departure times when the powers that be become worried that the morning commuters don't seem quite miserable or fed up with their lives enough. Manchester City's lifeless performance on Sunday also came about after he spent the half hour before the game sat outside their dressing room, announcing their line up to them repeatedly.

- Why, every single week it's broadcast, do the BBC advertise when Match of the Day is going to be on, on the channel it's going to be on, immediately before it actually starts, and two minutes after it's already supposed to have started?

- How do you know you're a shit pundit? - When Gary Linekar dismisses your one and only point on the game you've just analysed by saying "I don't think so somehow", then immediately changes the subject before you can respond.

Rule change watch:

- Patrice Evra was bicycle kicked in the face in the build up to Fulham hitting the bar on Saturday. Apparently booting an opposition player in the face is no longer considered a foul or dangerous play, even when it leads directly to the offending player being unmarked to have a shot on goal

- Being or looking like Luis Suarez is however now apparently a bookable offence in all Premier League fixtures

Awards!

Steven Gerrard award - Martin Skrtel, James Collins

Randomly remembered player award - David Seaman. Every generation of England team has to contain at least one player whose hair has been stolen from the Second World War. David Seaman was that player for his generation. Notable for his goalkeeping heroics for both Arsenal and England, and for his starring role as a British Army general in motion picture "A Bridge Too Far", Seaman can also be remembered for all to often sporting goalkeeping jerseys that made it look like he was playing a game of tetris on his chest. Dave enjoyed a long and succesful career for both club and country, until one day he allowed Ronaldinho to cross the ball into the back of the England net from about 500 yards out, whilst being distracted by the lack of those useful L shaped purple brick things on the front of his shirt. Before he knew it he was languishing at Manchester City with pirate hair and was soon after forced to retire.

World's strongest man award - Dembele. Staking his claim by not only figuratively carrying Fulham's entire midfield on his back, but also spending much of the game literally carrying Manchester United's entire midfield on his back. Occasionally sending limbs and bodies flying off into the gasping crowd.

The newdless fantasy football selection curse of death award - Sergio Aguero, Wayne Rooney, Luis Nani

http://newdless.wordpress.com/

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
...instead of using the spare tyre, I attached the steering wheel to the side of the car and then drove home using the handbreak as a make shift turning mechanism? Or would this just makeme some kind ofcomplete fecking moron?
:lol::lol:

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Now, in line with this trailblazing new way of thinking, if one of the wheels on my car developed a flat tyre, and I had a spare tyre in the boot, would I become an innovative tactical genius if instead of using the spare tyre, I attached the steering wheel to the side of the car and then drove home using the handbreak as a make shift turning mechanism? Or would this just makeme some kind ofcomplete fecking moron?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Apt description of O'shea as well. Never looked like a certain position banker but looked decent in every position. :lol:

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Goalkeeping tutorial

...For added dramatic effect, glance around in amazement as if god himself couldn't have prevented this from happening.

...Once you receive the pass, stand completely still and do nothing at all until an opposing player runs in and tries to tackle you. At this point, spin around in a circle and fall over whilst flailing your arms as if having some kind of fit, allowing the opposing player to tap the ball into an empty net...

...Glare accusingly at your defender whilst sporting a shit looking haircut.
Love these lines :lol:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Is Noodle on commision for smiley faces? Was an OK read

Surely it is pretty obvious why Valencia started ahead of Rafael against Everton? Height more disciplined and mature. If Jones or Smalling had been fit they would have started instead. I expect we will see Rafael left out of many games like this as the season progresses.

Welbeck ahead of Young is a fair point. I didnt understand that.

Harsh on John O'Shea. Was indeed a bad week for Keepers - Add Shay Given to the list.

Oh and because you put in the effort :lol:, :lol: and :lol:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
- Why, every single week it's broadcast, do the BBC advertise when Match of the Day is going to be on, on the channel it's going to be on, immediately before it actually starts, and two minutes after it's already supposed to have started?
This. Is. Very. True. :mad:

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That made my day... the De Gea thing is so true...
If by "true" you mean "complete bollox" then yeah, I agree completely.

That goal was almost entirely the fault of Nemanja Vidic. Got caught under the ball, came nowhere near getting his head to it, then barged the Fulham player into his own keeper. Flicking the ball into his own net was the cherry on the cake of some absolutely dire defending.

De Gea probably should have cleaned everyone out regardless but it's not easy flattening two big lumps like that from a standing start without any room to build up momentum.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Is Noodle on commision for smiley faces? Was an OK read

Surely it is pretty obvious why Valencia started ahead of Rafael against Everton? Height more disciplined and mature. If Jones or Smalling had been fit they would have started instead. I expect we will see Rafael left out of many games like this as the season progresses.

Welbeck ahead of Young is a fair point. I didnt understand that.

Harsh on John O'Shea. Was indeed a bad week for Keepers - Add Shay Given to the list.

Oh and because you put in the effort :lol:, :lol: and :lol:
Plan M is conspicuous by his absence he would be spunking green smilies all over the shop

Great read though noods.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

That goal was almost entirely the fault of Nemanja Vidic. Got caught under the ball, came nowhere near getting his head to it, then barged the Fulham player into his own keeper. Flicking the ball into his own net was the cherry on the cake of some absolutely dire defending.

De Gea probably should have cleaned everyone out regardless but it's not easy flattening two big lumps like that from a standing start without any room to build up momentum.
I'm glad someone agrees with me on that OG.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Whinging is truly an art form at the fingertips of Noods, quality stuff :lol:... you'd never find such self-depreciation @ Rawk. Pogue's right about the OG though.. DDG's been unfortunate this season thus far.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The truth is somewhere in the middle. In the same situation Big Peter wouldn't have let any of that get in the way. It's easier than it should be to 'foul' DDG and therefore easier to get away with. De Gea was fouled but it's going to happen and he needs to deal a bit better.

Rossa

Couldn't agree more. The look on DDG's face tells it all - "I'm mad as hell, but you are Vidic and I'm really skinny" and then Vidic who didn't utter a word in retaliation showed that he knew he was to blame.

Pogue Mahone

The truth is somewhere in the middle. In the same situation Big Peter wouldn't have let any of that get in the way. It's easier than it should be to 'foul' DDG and therefore easier to get away with. De Gea was fouled but it's going to happen and he needs to deal a bit better.
I agree with that. I even alluded to it in my post. The only way to deal with Vidic's feck up was to flatten him and the Fulham player, clear the ball and bollock the defender afterwards.

De Gea definitely lacks physical presence in situations like that and needs to start imposing himself a bit more. That will come as he continues to fill out and learns how to use his hard-earned brawn a bit more effectively.

I was really only taking exception to the idea that the goal was down to hapless keeping, without any mention of the truly awful defending from Vidic. Especially the bit about De Gea somehow putting Vidic off, which is arrant nonsense.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I agree with that. I even alluded to it in my post. The only way to deal with Vidic's feck up was to flatten him and the Fulham player, clear the ball and bollock the defender afterwards.

De Gea definitely lacks physical presence in situations like that and needs to start imposing himself a bit more. That will come as he continues to fill out and learns how to use his hard-earned brawn a bit more effectively.

I was really only taking exception to the idea that the goal was down to hapless keeping, without any mention of the truly awful defending from Vidic. Especially the bit about De Gea somehow putting Vidic off, which is arrant nonsense.
I agree. But he'll always be hapless, especially for humour purposes. The media too will label any mistake as hapless and qualify any good game with his last mistake. It's lazy and the opposite of what Reina gets, his blunders are 'rare' mistakes, no matter how frequent they are.

All that said I want to have more confidence when a slow ball is lobbed into the area. He needs to impose himslef much more. He should be encouraged to catch and hold when he can. Not take risks at first but there are times he punches and he could defo hold the ball.

KanieKaned

DDG just needs to come flying out and flatten anyone that tried to crowd or get in and amongst him during corners. Get your arms up nice and high making sure those elbows are sticking out, and when you come for the ball come with one of your knees up nice and high to help protect yourself.

If you catch someone with a knee when coming for a high ball they always think twice the second time round. Nobody wants to gets knocked out Schumacher style or even take one to the lower back it seriously hurts.

Is it just me or have keepers forgotten some of the most fundamental things in protecting themselves and so forth? Keepers used to be renowned for being headcases years back now they just seem like softies getting pushed around in what is essentially their area when they should be busting heads and putting fear into their forwards. DDG has put on a decent amount of muscle compared to last season and he should start utilising it (he has got a good size frame to him), its not just there to make him look good to fans and opposition players. Still completely Vida's fault either way its looked at. I saw he chewed on broken glass that evening as a punishment to himself.

Pogue Mahone

DDG just needs to come flying out and flatten anyone that tried to crowd or get in and amongst him during corners. Get your arms up nice and high making sure those elbows are sticking out, and when you come for the ball come with one of your knees up nice and high to help protect yourself.

If you catch someone with a knee when coming for a high ball they always think twice the second time round. Nobody wants to gets knocked out Schumacher style.

Is it just me or have keepers forgotten some of the most fundamental things in protecting themselves and so forth? Keepers used to be renowned for being headcases years back now they just seem like softies getting pushed around in what is essentially their area when they should be busting heads and putting fear into their forwards. DDG has put on a decent amount of muscle compared to last season and he should start utilising it (he has got a good size frame to him), its not just there to make him look good to fans and opposition players. Still completely Vida's fault either way its looked at. I saw he chewed on broken glass that evening as a punishment to himself.
I wonder if it's anything to do with the end of the backpass rule? Keepers are expected to be footballers and tend to have footballers builds. You don't see many neanderthals like Neville Southall keeping nets these days.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I wonder if it's anything to do with the end of the backpass rule? Keepers are expected to be footballers and tend to have footballers builds. You don't see many neanderthals like Neville Southall keeping nets these days.
They tend to greater protection now also. You only have to touch them to concede a free with the exception of De Gea who seems to get very little awarded to him.