Music Weezer

Dante

Average bang
It's come to my attention that not enough of you spackers have heard of Weezer. They made two of the best albums of the nineties (then promptly turned to shit). Anyway, here are their two classics. Do yourself a favour and become a fan.

The Blue Album

Pinkerton

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
The Blue album is amazing, such a great album. I've had it on loads recently in the car and picked up a copy for the turntable at home. Its one of those rare albums I love all the way through.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
First got into them when I heard buddy holly on the windows 95 cd :D

Love all their older stuff. Green, Blue and Pinkerton especially and perhaps more surprisingly that cheesy song they did with that dick head lil Wayne.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Picks:

Sweater Song
Buddy Holly
The Good Life
Keep Fishin'
Say it ain't so

Loved it when they had a bit of angst.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
The opening riff in Say it Aint So is awesome, and Buddy Holly is a masterpiece in catchy song writing, you can't help but have it stuck in your head.

This is probably my favourite song off the album though, proper teenage jealousy going on.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The opening riff in Say it Aint So is awesome, and Buddy Holly is a masterpiece in catchy song writing, you can't help but have it stuck in your head.

This is probably my favourite song off the album though, proper teenage jealousy going on.

I could make a case for pretty much every track they made in the 90s. Could totally relate as a hormonal teenager. "Getchooo a heart"

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It begs the question, what do teenagers listen to now with the lack of angst filled pop punk. It's a shame for them.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It begs the question, what do teenagers listen to now with the lack of angst filled pop punk. It's a shame for them.
They listen to Bieber and make themselves angrier.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Everything they've done that isn't Pinkerton or The Blue Album is totally awful.
The green album is ace and maladroit has it's moments. Stop being cool, it doesn't suit you.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I actually saw Weezer play Pinkerton a few years ago in Chicago. They played Only In Dreams too, which was phenomenal.

The Limousines opened and I am pretty sure I was the only one who liked them. Probably because they didn't play any songs about teenagers touching themselves.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The green album is ace and maladroit has it's moments. Stop being cool, it doesn't suit you.
I agree with this. Green Album is totally fun, barring Hash Pipe. I was never fond of that song. Maladroit has some awesome riffs too, and is mostly great.

They went up their own arseholes a bit after that.

Zen

Pinkerton is a classic, hell their start is a great 1-2 punch.

I probably won't listen to anything after that period again though, they went shockingly bad quick.

Dante

Average bang
Two good friends of mine went on this years, which was a few weeks back. Saw one of them on Saturday actually and she said it was the best 4 days of her life - her wedding excluded.

Also, who hasn't heard of Weezer? Apart from people who aren't living their life in the correct way.
In the Caf Top Albums thread, I think I was the only one who gave a single vote to a Weezer album.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I actually saw Weezer play Pinkerton a few years ago in Chicago. They played Only In Dreams too, which was phenomenal.

The Limousines opened and I am pretty sure I was the only one who liked them. Probably because they didn't play any songs about teenagers touching themselves.
That song... sigh. <3

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Oh and Maladroit is imo a very good album. It's much more of an angry album with a few feel good singles added in, Take Control for example is a bloody good song, as is Slob. It's just a very different tone of album and in some ways I favour it over Blue tbh.

Blasphemy

Pink Triangle and Across the Sea are my favourites.

Green and Maladroit have quite a few really good songs. Keep Fishin and Dope Nose especially.

vanthaman

Winner
Love weezer, had a spell of about 6 months a few years back where I listened to nothing but weezer

Shark

@NotShark
Weezer have a great knack of writing songs that sound happy, but at their core are actually depressing, if that makes sense.

Nickosaur

The Blue Album is superb. Pinkerton is one of my favourite ever albums. The rest are a bit hit and miss (largely miss).

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
A couple of weeks ago I realised I had never listened to a full Weezer album, and strangely the next day I found the Blue Album in a charity shop for 50p. Listened to it quite a bit then, and listening to it again now. It's pretty damn good.

Nickosaur

The Blue Album and Pinkerton. Huge albums, two of my favourites.

Unfortunately Weezer have released a fair bit of dump but you can't fault those two.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
New track, "Feels Like Summer" is shit. Barely even worth posting.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
A couple of weeks ago I realised I had never listened to a full Weezer album, and strangely the next day I found the Blue Album in a charity shop for 50p. Listened to it quite a bit then, and listening to it again now. It's pretty damn good.
A couple of years later and I'm listening to Pinkerton. I listened to it a few months ago and loved The Good Life and Falling for You, but overall listened to it very briefly. I'm enjoying it quite a lot!

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
A couple of years later and I'm listening to Pinkerton. I listened to it a few months ago and loved The Good Life and Falling for You, but overall listened to it very briefly. I'm enjoying it quite a lot!
Take it from a Weezer expert.

The Blue Album and Pinkerton are both very different from one another but are both absolutely flawless - they're deservedly considered as alt-rock classics now. The Green Album is different from its predecessor once again but it's seriously underrated - it's 28 minutes of concise, jet-engine streamlined power pop, and you can't ask for much more. Maladroit is much crunchier and grungier in sound, and it's got a handful of great riffs and choruses, but it's pretty scattershot and mostly just okay. Make Believe is a little underrated, but only in the sense that it's average rather than terrible like everyone thinks - it's got a couple of good numbers on there but it gets very tired over its duration. The Red Album is just about tolerable, it's worth it for 'Pork and Beans' and 'The Greatest Man That Ever Lived', but beyond that it's a pretty annoying record with a second half that's a sketchy, lazy waste of time. Raditude is very bad - maddeningly, comically bad. Hurley is something of an uptick in form and it's a very noisy, thick-sounding record, but it's still too silly to really take seriously. Everything Will Be Alright In the End is something of a return to form - nothing on the level of the first three albums but certainly considered and diverse enough, it has 'Cleopatra' which was the first genuinely great Weezer song for years at that point. The White Album has a smaller palette but does just much with it as the previous album, has 'L.A. Girlz' which is the first Weezer song I'd felt affectionate towards for ages by that stage.

Their output between 2005 and 2010 is best avoided unless you're really, really curious to see how bad they got. Between 2008 and 2010 they just started trolling people: Rivers started donning massive cowboy hats, white suits and ugly moustaches, and their music started to mean nothing on purpose. Quite a lot of the lyrics were deliberately disconnected so quite a lot of the songs they wrote had no real central theme. There are a few exceptions, and on albums like Make Believe, The Red Album and Hurley there are a handful of good songs. But The Red Album, Raditude and Hurley were all released within the same three year spell and you couldn't even form a decent 10-track album from the thirty songs spread across them. Like I said, unless you're really, really, really curious they're just best avoided when there are thousands of other things you could be checking out.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Take it from a Weezer expert.

The Blue Album and Pinkerton are both very different from one another but are both absolutely flawless - they're deservedly considered as alt-rock classics now. The Green Album is different from its predecessor once again but it's seriously underrated - it's 28 minutes of concise, jet-engine streamlined power pop, and you can't ask for much more. Maladroit is much crunchier and grungier in sound, and it's got a handful of great riffs and choruses, but it's pretty scattershot and mostly just okay. Make Believe is a little underrated, but only in the sense that it's average rather than terrible like everyone thinks - it's got a couple of good numbers on there but it gets very tired over its duration. The Red Album is just about tolerable, it's worth it for 'Pork and Beans' and 'The Greatest Man That Ever Lived', but beyond that it's a pretty annoying record with a second half that's a sketchy, lazy waste of time. Raditude is very bad - maddeningly, comically bad. Hurley is something of an uptick in form and it's a very noisy, thick-sounding record, but it's still too silly to really take seriously. Everything Will Be Alright In the End is something of a return to form - nothing on the level of the first three albums but certainly considered and diverse enough, it has 'Cleopatra' which was the first genuinely great Weezer song for years at that point. The White Album has a smaller palette but does just much with it as the previous album, has 'L.A. Girlz' which is the first Weezer song I'd felt affectionate towards for ages by that stage.

Their output between 2005 and 2010 is best avoided unless you're really, really curious to see how bad they got. Between 2008 and 2010 they just started trolling people: Rivers started donning massive cowboy hats, white suits and ugly moustaches, and their music started to mean nothing on purpose. Quite a lot of the lyrics were deliberately disconnected so quite a lot of the songs they wrote had no real central theme. There are a few exceptions, and on albums like Make Believe, The Red Album and Hurley there are a handful of good songs. But The Red Album, Raditude and Hurley were all released within the same three year spell and you couldn't even form a decent 10-track album from the thirty songs spread across them. Like I said, unless you're really, really, really curious they're just best avoided when there are thousands of other things you could be checking out.
You do seem like a bit on an expert.

I know various random songs of theirs from the other albums. I've loved Hash Pipe for years and just recently listened to Island in the Sun properly and now love that. It's a bit of a problem as I can't listen to the Green Album as I just keep repeating those two. Although saying that I'm listening to it now and am finding it really good.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Blue smokes Pinkerton.

Fantano explains why quite well. I agree with all of it.

I've been on a real Maladroit kick in the last few weeks. Underrated. Love Explosion is a pure banger. Slave rules too. The only song I'm not fond of is Possibilities. Love the rest of it.

Sod everything after Maladroit though. I've got no time for it. If you need more Weezer, listen to Ozma's Rock and Roll Part 3. The best Weezer album Weezer never wrote.

arthurka

You do seem like a bit on an expert.

I know various random songs of theirs from the other albums. I've loved Hash Pipe for years and just recently listened to Island in the Sun properly and now love that. It's a bit of a problem as I can't listen to the Green Album as I just keep repeating those two. Although saying that I'm listening to it now and am finding it really good.
The first three Blue, Pinkerton and Green are a must. They are some of the best writing in modern age music.. After that just have Make believe, Red and the White album.. Make believe was produced by Rick Rubin and had throwback 80's and 90's (this is such a pity has everything a great 80's song needs). Red has Pork and beans and the sequel to In the Garage, Heart songs.. Then there is the White album.. Cuomo wrote it while he made his Tinder account and observes his dates to write the song on that observation. It is produced by a hip young producer Jake Sinclair who made it his mission to end the middle age era that started with the Red one.. He clearly knows his Weezer (he played in a Weezer cover band called the Wannabeezers).. Give this a try and if this is Ok (many of us really really like this stuff), give all the other albums a listen..

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Just listened to Maladroit for the first time. I like the album, but didn't really think any songs stood out that much by themselves that I would go listen to separately like I do with their other albums, apart from Possibilities, and maybe Love Explosion. The album as a whole was good though, IMO.