Music Weezer

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Meme Weezer era two (after Meme Weezer era one, which ran from 2008 to 2012) has seen them become a wedding band. I'll take that over Raditude and Hurley.

Other eras:
Classic Weezer (1993 - 1996) Blue and Pinkerton
Silent Weezer (1997 - 2000)
"Wezzer" (2001 - 2004) Green and Maladroit
On Drugs Weezer (2005 - 2007) "Beverly Hills", Make Believe
Meme Weezer (2008 - 2012) Red, Raditude, "Represent", Hurley
Renaissance Weezer (2013 - 2016) Everything Will Be Alright in the End, White
Poppy Weezer (2017 - 2018) Pacific Daydream
Meme Weezer II (2019 - ?) "Africa", Teal, Black

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Love that they did an album consisting of all covers. Wonder if they needed to get permission from the original artists?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
This was a fun listen, certainly better than their original output for a long time.

Still, they could have done more to sound more Weezer-like. The backing band behind Rivers' vocals could have been anyone.

GBBQ

Meme Weezer era two (after Meme Weezer era one, which ran from 2008 to 2012) has seen them become a wedding band.
Yeah this sums it up pretty nicely. Its the slick sanitized version of a song, beat perfect with a slightly different keyboard sound used but a close enough approximation. The choice of songs is great but just devoid of anything remarkable music wise.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
I'm reviewing Black for a magazine so I've had a promo copy for about a week now. I knew as soon as I heard it that fans would love High as a Kite. I've been so excited for the response and it's been even warmer than I expected. As for the rest of the album, I think it will initially catch a few people by surprise and rub people up the wrong way - believe me when I say this is a bold step forward stylistically for the band - but it's a considerable improvement on Pacific Daydream and definitely in the top half of albums they've done, and this will eventually be reflected in the response. I'm expecting another non-committal response from the music press, who were lukewarm on both Ewbaite and White, but while this isn't as good as either of those albums, it's still a confident record that you can tell they had a tonne of fun making.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I'm reviewing Black for a magazine so I've had a promo copy for about a week now. I knew as soon as I heard it that fans would love High as a Kite. I've been so excited for the response and it's been even warmer than I expected. As for the rest of the album, I think it will initially catch a few people by surprise and rub people up the wrong way - believe me when I say this is a bold step forward stylistically for the band - but it's a considerable improvement on Pacific Daydream and definitely in the top half of albums they've done, and this will eventually be reflected in the response. I'm expecting another non-committal response from the music press, who were lukewarm on both Ewbaite and White, but while this isn't as good as either of those albums, it's still a confident record that you can tell they had a tonne of fun making.
Just watched the video.

Inital impressions are good I've at worst quite liked all 3 I've heard so far.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
New Weezer

This rules so much. Maladroit isn't my favourite Weezer album by any stretch but it is hideously underrated and it's probably the best sound they've have ever had - that real hard rock crunch giving a real thick edge to the power pop elements of the sound, it's so great. So to hear this and to discover that it somehow combines that Maladroit crunch with some good old 1980s synthetic AOR was such a wonderful surprise. It's back to basics Weezer at its roots, but it sounds so fresh.

I also can't believe that they've seriously committed to calling it Van Weezer after all. :lol:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
How come you weren't keen on White or Everything Will Be Alright in the End?
Nothing specific, they just didn't do it for me. I think by Maladroit, Rivers' songwriting had already lost a quite a bit of sincerity. It went a bit too gimmicky after that.

I could probably pick a track or two from most of the post-Maladroit LPs and make a decent 'best-of-the-rest' compilation that I'd enjoy, but nothing post Maladroit has ever really impressed me. Maladroit has some stinkers on it, but a handful of great songs that are all way better than anything came afterwards IMO.

This is the first track for ages that seems more back to basics, simple guitars,(wanky guitar intro aside), nice melody, no weird ego-trip lyrics.

The Cat

This rules so much. Maladroit isn't my favourite Weezer album by any stretch but it is hideously underrated and it's probably the best sound they've have ever had - that real hard rock crunch giving a real thick edge to the power pop elements of the sound, it's so great. So to hear this and to discover that it somehow combines that Maladroit crunch with some good old 1980s synthetic AOR was such a wonderful surprise. It's back to basics Weezer at its roots, but it sounds so fresh.

I also can't believe that they've seriously committed to calling it Van Weezer after all. :lol:
Nonsense. The best sound by any imagination came with Matt Sharp.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Nonsense. The best sound by any imagination came with Matt Sharp.
You've misunderstood me. I think their best songs came with Blue and Pinkerton, when Matt Sharp was around (Pinkerton's my favourite record of all time), but I think the best sound they had (entirely in terms of production) was on Maladroit.

The Cat

You've misunderstood me. I think their best songs came with Blue and Pinkerton, when Matt Sharp was around (Pinkerton's my favourite record of all time), but I think the best sound they had (entirely in terms of production) was on Maladroit.
No. The best crunch they ever got out of their amps was the first album. It's the iconic sound and nobody has ever replicated it even them. They blew amps after 20 minutes just to get that sound.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
No. The best crunch they ever got out of their amps was the first album. It's the iconic sound and nobody has ever replicated it even them. They blew amps after 20 minutes just to get that sound.
You know what, man, feck off. I'm stating pretty clearly to you that I think Maladroit has the best sound. I'm not claiming to be the holder of any truth here, I'm just stating that as much as Blue and Pinkerton are two of my favourite albums of all time, I think Maladroit has the best production. Then you come in all argumentative for some reason, telling me I'm talking nonsense, giving me some trivia as if I haven't spent hours of my life reading about how Blue was made since I was a kid. You're allowed to have your opinions about this but I should be allowed to have mine without you trying to put me down.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd not heard that they purposely made the amps blow. My understanding was that they ran Mesa Boogie Mk1's through oversized Marshall cabs at low volumes with condenser mics taped to the cones ("Weezerpedia" backs that up too).

It's a great tone. Mesa Mk1's were the holy grail of natural distortion.

Overall though, I agree with Rob. Maladroit is a great sounding record in terms of its production. The crunch on Blue is great, but the drums are less impressive and sound very dated. That snare in particular sounds cheap and tinny. Maladroit is a more focused and cohesive sounding record to me.