Welbeck reinforces Reserves

oskarutd

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's striking options have been boosted by the presence of Danny Welbeck in his squad for Wednesday night's clash with Wigan Reserves.

The England youth international, scorer of his third senior goal at Derby on Sunday, reprises his fruitful second string partnership with Kiko Macheda for the trip to the Robin Park Sports Arena.

Welbeck is one of five players in Solskjaer's squad who have sampled first team action, along with Ben Amos, Richard Eckersley, Rodrigo Possebon and Lee Martin.

Wigan can boast an impressive record against the Reds, however, and are yet to taste a home defeat since rejoining the Premier Reserve League in 2005. The Latics' impressive home form has continued this season, taking 12 points from a possible 15 on home turf.

Solskjaer and Warren Joyce will be keen to build on last week's win over Bolton and continue climbing the league table, as they continue to make headway into a fixture backlog brought about by a host of postponements in recent months.

Tonight's match will be shown live on MUTV. Coverage begins at 19:25 GMT, five minutes before kick-off.

United: Amos; Eckersley, Dudgeon, C Evans, Gill; Stewart, Possebon, James, Martin; Welbeck, Macheda.
Substitutes: Devlin, Derbyshire, Eikrem, Brady, Norwood.

link.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
:confused:

Wouldn't have been too bad to have him in OUR squad tonight, figured he may start.
He may start against Blackburn actually if we're going to rest either Berbatov, Tevez and if Rooney is still not fit enough. Therefore as Welbeck himself has returned from injury, he needs match practice as well.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Rooney is back. Better for him to get a game then stay in the stand.
He's on the bench to start...

How so? Tevez & Berbatov were rested for the the upcoming matches...
... which leaves Tevez & Berbatov, whowere both "rested" but there was no official statement...

He may start against Blackburn actually if we're going to rest either Berbatov, Tevez and if Rooney is still not fit enough. Therefore as Welbeck himself has returned from injury, he needs match practice as well.
...So yeah, maybe Blackburn i more realistic for a Welbeck start, alongside Rooney?

Starting Tevez @ this point seems like it will be difficult, I'll probably pull some strings here but in important matches, Rooney + Berbatov will be at the top.

FlawlessThaw

Starting Tevez @ this point seems like it will be difficult, I'll probably pull some strings here but in important matches, Rooney + Berbatov will be at the top.
No I agree the most important matches ie Inter next week. It should be Rooney and Berbatov up top. But if Rooney isn't fit enough then Tevez should start.

PS18

I doubt Welbeck will start Blackburn either - why would he? Rooney will need minutes ahead of the Inter game, Tevez and Berbatov are both available and relatively fresh.

FlawlessThaw

I doubt Welbeck will start Blackburn either - why would he? Rooney will need minutes ahead of the Inter game, Tevez and Berbatov are both available and relatively fresh.
I don't think he will either as I suspect both Berbatov and Rooney will play up front together for both Blackburn and Inter. But my point is Welbeck needs minutes as he is coming back from injury as he could play a larger role as the season as the season goes on.

PS18

I don't think he will either as I suspect both Berbatov and Rooney will play up front together for both Blackburn and Inter. But my point is Welbeck needs minutes as he is coming back from injury as he could play a larger role as the season as the season goes on.
Well in fairness he's not really coming back from an injury, he got a knock that kept him out for a week so it's not like he'll have lost match fitness.

Welbeck needs games just to keep in the swing of things and a reserve game played at the same time as the first team are in action might just be seen by Fergie as a way of helping keep his feet on the ground. With Rooney on the bench and almost certain to get on tonight, there was minimal chance of Welbeck making an appearance so starting him in the reserves makes sense.

My response was really aimed at those expecting Welbeck to be starting either tonight or against Blackburn, which really isn't remotely likely barring injuries and was never going to be.

Danish Voice

Welbeck has shown he can make an impact against smaller sides, but when our strike force and wingers are all ready, he'll not get the nod often for the rest of the season.

This seems like a sensible decision to me.

cj_sparky

Our reserves back line is still looking a little weak with the players out on loan, I'm surprised that Fabio isn't in the line up too.

jb8521

1 Amos
2 Eckersley
3 Dudgeon (Brady) 76 mins
4 C.Evans
5 Gill (Derbyshire) 45 mins
6 James
7 Welbeck
8 Possebon
9 Macheda
10 Martin
11 Stewart ( Eikrem) 45 mins

Subs
12 Derbyshire
13 Devlin
14 Eikrem
15 Brady
16 Norwood

Decotron

1 Amos
2 Eckersley
3 Dudgeon
4 C.Evans
5 Gill
6 James
7 Welbeck
8 Possebon
9 Macheda
10 Martin
11 Stewart

Subs
12 Derbyshire
13 Devlin
14 Eikrem
15 Brady
16 Norwood
Cheers for that, didn't fancy typing the team out!!! We might be up against it in this I reckon. I worry when I see Gill in the academy never mind the reserves. Welbeck might win it for us on his own though:devil:

cj_sparky

It is very surprising that there is no Fabio, he needs more match fitness obviously after being out injured. His half and a bit against Tottenham left me wanting to see more of the lad in action.

jb8521

Lovely through ball from Macheda and Welbeck finishes left footed through the keepers legs. Very composed

jb8521

Gill gives them a goal just before half time he really is a disaster

jb8521

4-4 now great finish from Macheda and a second from Welbeck

FlawlessThaw

feck me what a comeback, I need to see the highlights of this game

jb8521

Incredible piece of control from Welbeck and a good cross and Martin scores