Welbeck reinforces Reserves

jb8521

4-5 United!!!! Full-Time. Cmon JB get this on the interwebs for those who haven't been lucky enough to see it. I'll give you a blue peter badge
Will do when I find my feckin camera Im always loosing it

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
My shitty stream died at 4-1 :lol:
Was mainly focusing on the first team anyhow.
Can't wait to see the final 4 goals. How did James, Macheda and Welbeck do?

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
feck me! What a game this sounds like... I echo the need for comprehensive Highlights.. I probably shall download the entire game if I get a link for it of course.. Which means I shall be scouring fbtz.com all week...

4-1 Wigan. I have to admit to actually backing Wigan in this one. I even backed them again when we went one up. Im pretty sure Gill will be leaving in the summer.
Never say its over before it actually is.. It doesn't matter if its the 1st team, Reserves or even the Academy.. If there is a game at hand and it is there to be won we will fight to the death and do our best.. We are Manchester United and for us it is never over!

Great too see these things are already part of the younger players at the club.. What mental strength they must have? to go down 4-1 and to get back to 4-4 and then get a man sent off and still go on to win? Any on-looker would say "That surely has to be a Man Utd team"

Virtuoso

What a match, one of the best I have seen in ages to be honest. Our defence was woeful but thanks to Welbeck, Macheda and Martin combining to score and create the goals we somehow came away from the game with all 3 points. Some of the interplay between the 3 of them was fantastic, and the "Welcheda" partnership was also very fruitful - both very clever players with huge amounts of talent.

Wigan scored 3 in 13 mins to make it 4-1 and we must have scored 3 in about half that time to make it 4-4. Macheda's goals to make it 4-2 and then 4-3 were vital, both great assists by Martin but also wonderfully composed finishes by Kiko. Shame he allowed a moment of petulance to get the better of him, he was wearing his heart on his sleeve when we were down (and seemingly out) at 4-1 and did help drag the team back into the game - the player made a rough and dangerous challenge with his studs up on Macheda but you can't react like that. McIlory was right though after the game in that it's better for Macheda to make such a mistake in getting a silly red in the Reserves and learn from it than getting a red if/when he's in the environment of the first team - for a player of 17 it can be a very thin line between determination and boiling over. By the way, the ref was a right twat throughout - he should be aware of the environment and cool things down if he thinks it's going over the top, instead he gave out 8 yellows and a red in a match that really wasn't very dirty, he had a shocker.

Well played to the whole side, our defence definitely needs some work, but you can really see the confidence and talent bursting out of Welbeck and Macheda not only through goals but also their general play.

PS18

Blimey. Has been quite a sedate season at reserve level, typical that the one game that clashes with a first-team game is an absolute thriller :D

Hopefully will be able to catch the highlights on MUTV at some point, probably just my rubbish eyesight but it's quite hard to tell what's going in that video above (not that I'm not grateful of course).

Anyone got any ideas who picked up yellow cards on our side?

Ace

Looks like Welbeck had a very good performance.

He'll be off to Madrid then?

KSA - ManUtd

Great match. At halftime in the Fulham game I switched to the reserves game and never switched back.

I was really surprised by Martin, I've never rated him but what a performace last night.

Welbeck's effort in the 5th goal was unbelieveable, funny watching the defender chasing him around hoplessly lol.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Martin looked really sharp from those highlights. His pace and dribbling seem to have returned. Maybe those loans just did his confidence no good and he can go on from here and get a shot with the first team. What do you think jb since you watched the whole match?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Martin looked really sharp from those highlights. His pace and dribbling seem to have returned. Maybe those loans just did his confidence no good and he can go on from here and get a shot with the first team. What do you think jb since you watched the whole match?
I recorded the game and watched the full 90 today.

I'm not sure about Martin. He looked great at times but no better than he did before he went on loan (when he looked like a real prospect) and he was a bit ill-disciplined at times.

I read somewhere that their were a few scouts from the Championship at last night's game. I can't help thinking that's about his level.

Macheda was great though and Welbeck was so good he was taking the piss at times.

oskarutd

I'm not sure about Martin. He looked great at times but no better than he did before he went on loan (when he looked like a real prospect) and he was a bit ill-disciplined at times.

I read somewhere that their were a few scouts from the Championship at last night's game. I can't help thinking that's about his level.

Macheda was great though and Welbeck was so good he was taking the piss at times.
In my opinion it was Martin who was the arcitect for the comeback, they couldn´t handle him. He scored one goal and had a hand in 3 other in the second half. He might turn a corner like Eagles did the spring of 2007.

PS18

In my opinion it was Martin who was the arcitect for the comeback, they couldn´t handle him. He scored one goal and had a hand in 3 other in the second half. He might turn a corner like Eagles did the spring of 2007.
It's a comparison I was thinking of as well. Eagles' loan spells didn't really work out for him but he came back and really knuckled down in the reserves when it would have been easy to go through the motions, and he earned himself that move to Burnley.

Some players just get more out of training with the first team than going out on loan, especially when they've gone out on loan before. Although Martin has always tended to start his loan spells well before fading, so we should probably be cautious in case his reserve form fades similarly...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Just managed to watch the game on Sky+ this evening

....fecking hell :lol:

I've never been so captivated by a reserve game. Typical Solskjaer type lala land stuff, with a raving lunatic of a ref to boot.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Gill, Welbeck, probably several others.

Evans gave away the pen, no way the crazy ref would've let that pass.

jb8521

Definitely Gill Martin Possebon Welbeck. I think Evans but not sure

jb8521

Agree with this

Ballache

Supports
Martial
i watched the firts 15 minutes or so before the game vs Fulham started, we were leading 1-0. looked after a while we were trailing 4-1 then checked the score at the end and we were leading 5-4...weird game...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How did Possebon play?
Quite well.

Not amazing but better than the last game I watched him in.

I'm starting to have doubts about whether or not he'll make the grade. Obviously he's still coming back after that nasty injury but I can't help thinking that the hype around him has far exceeded his ability.

He had one excellent CC game but didn't look particularly impressive in any other first-team games he featured in and has been fairly inconsistent for our reserves. Sometimes he looked the real deal, at other times he looked all over the shop.

Being Brazilian, he's got a lot of caftards worked up into a lather but I think Gibson is a better player already and I wouldn't be surprised if Matty James turns out to be better in the long run.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Quite well.

Not amazing but better than the last game I watched him in.

I'm starting to have doubts about whether or not he'll make the grade. Obviously he's still coming back after that nasty injury but I can't help thinking that the hype around him has far exceeded his ability.

He had one excellent CC game but didn't look particularly impressive in any other first-team games he featured in and has been fairly inconsistent for our reserves. Sometimes he looked the real deal, at other times he looked all over the shop.

Being Brazilian, he's got a lot of caftards worked up into a lather but I think Gibson is a better player already and I wouldn't be surprised if Matty James turns out to be better in the long run.
pogue - you know that 'being brazilian' part is quite irritating :)...but I disagree with a fair bit of what you said.

I think part of the problem is some people have the wrong expectations of what he can do and then get disappointed

And lets not forget how reactionary people are (not automatically yourself). After one game people were stroking their chin saying, 'agh yes fabio is clearly better, he don't dive in etc.. then rafael which maybe true but you don't say it after a game people'

It's really dismissive of rafaels contribution thus far

Based on one game..

Possebon was bitty, he took a knock to the face early on and that seemed to upset him a bit which led to his booking

At the minute gibson has the advantage and that's where we are but possebon and james are younger.

If it's a race it's not even started yet