Well done Michael Carrick

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Gets criticism on here for not being a leader, but tonight I thought he was outstanding. Really stood up to be counted

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Surprised Mozza didn't create this thread, anyway Carrick was again class at the back. He carried fletcher, who was a bit suspect.

narnar

Needs Help
Maybe it was just me, but he seemed to be organising the back line, being quite vocal etc. A good game given the circumstances.

Still thought Fletcher adapted better to the CB role though.

johnmufc

He did a very good job. As did Evra and Fletcher.

The thing is though, when in midfield, Carrick is always in control. He dictates where and when his defence or midfield partner should pass. He had no trouble doing the same playing as a defender.
He's not a leader in the mould of Keane, but he organises his defence and manages to retain possession just by making himself available - and if he's not available, telling the player where to ball should go.
Maybe some people don't notice this, I'm not entirely sure, but it's definitely one of Carrick's best traits. He initiates our attacks and organise our defence just by telling the feckers where to stand or where to pass the ball.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fletch was all over Dzeko like ants on a fish head during the first half. Carrick was solid as well.

datura

Lucky with the penalty shout though, and should have been closer to Dzeko for their goal but he still looked unflustered and took some good positions and made some good blocks/clearances.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He should have stopped the Dzeko goal, drop him I say :p

pillory

Surprised Mozza didn't create this thread, anyway Carrick was again class at the back. He carried fletcher, who was a bit suspect.
I thought both did well considering the circumstances, but Fletcher often had to be a CB and a RB at the same time, which naturally caused him some trouble.

narnar

Needs Help
I thought Fletcher was ropey tonight in that role. Carrick was more assured
I lowered my expectations for them and the team in general due to the positions they were asked to play. Although in the end I don't think I needed to.

Carrick, in my view made a rash challenge which should've been a penalty.

Also, while he was not at fault for the goal, I think he could have done a bit better to not let Dzeko get a header in as easily as that.

Brophs

The One and Only
It's not just on here that he gets criticism for his lack of leadership and/or drive.

But I agree. He was excellent in very trying circumstances.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
should have been a peno yes

Dont agree that he could have done anything about that goal, the ball was out of his reach. A midfielder or the left back should have been coming across to block the forwards run

OneUnited24

Benefit of having him in defence today was being able to utilise his passing range to help on counters, but none of the balls were sticking to the attackers and it would come straight back at them

pillory

I actually thought it was a great challenge on first viewing. I guess the referee thought the same.
Yeah, I don't really blame the referee. The ball went exactly where it would have gone if Carrick had hit it, and in real-time I can't have been easy to spot that the ball was gone before he slid in.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's always been a good reader of the game, though. He looked very naive at times (as you'd expect), but he was usually able to bail himself out by being more or less in the right place. Never thought we'd get away with this as easily as we seem to be doing.

Evra was amazing, again.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Always thought Carrick would make a good centre-half.

Tribec

Always thought Carrick would make a good centre-half.
I thought some one might come in here and declare this type of thing. First Robson, then Keane, now Carrick. However out of the 3, I think I'd prefer Carrick playing in a back four.

Yes, it should have been a penalty, yes he probably could have done better on the goal, but they were typical mistakes to make when you are out of position as such. Given more games in this position and you'd find him making less mistakes and probably looking really assured.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I thought some one might come in here and declare this type of thing. First Robson, then Keane, now Carrick. However out of the 3, I think I'd prefer Carrick playing in a back four.

Yes, it should have been a penalty, yes he probably could have done better on the goal, but they were typical mistakes to make when you are out of position as such. Given more games in this position and you'd find him making less mistakes and probably looking really assured.
Robson and Keane may be all round players, but Carrick has that composure and positional discipline, and the height which would make adjusting to the centre back role alot easier.

Sylar

Can see him retiring into that role. Used awareness of positioning more than pace / aggression. Really well played.

Michael Carrickenbauer.
He's exactly that. His defending has always been an underrated part of his game. I thought he handled the position superbly and his reading of the game was excellent, apart from that one tackle. From the back he can pick out all his team mates with his passing ability and of course his height is a great asset. He looked like he had been playing there all his career.

Him and Vidic would do nicely in the next game while we have so many injuries.

Red Norse

Fletch was all over Dzeko like ants on a fish head during the first half. Carrick was solid as well.
California really has everything, even ants at sea. Just for curiosities sake, how do they live?

Name Changed

weso26
As Eoin McDevitt said on Newstalk, playing Fletcher and Carrick at centre half is like having two Frank Beckenbauers in the team.

johnmufc

Jaysus I think you're being too hard on him. He seemed to be marking both Džeko and that cabbage Grafite. I though both he and Carrick were excellent.
Fletcher and Carrick excel as a partnership, whether in the centre of midfield or as we've just seen in the centre of defence... Maybe we should stick them up front against Villa. ;)

ManUtdFan

Milky way -> Solar System -> Mother Earth
He's exactly that. His defending has always been an underrated part of his game. I thought he handled the position superbly and his reading of the game was excellent, apart from that one tackle. From the back he can pick out all his team mates with his passing ability and of course his height is a great asset. He looked like he had been playing there all his career.

Him and Vidic would do nicely in the next game while we have so many injuries.
Actually does anybody thinks that Carrick can be groomed to eventually fill in for Rio given that they do have similar attributes like reading of the game, calmness on the ball, ability to play the ball out of trouble, organising abilities. Both of them don't have the tendencies to dive into tackles and prefer to position themselves nicely to intercept and ursher out the ball. 1 attribute which Rio does have (or maybe used to have) is bags of pace to get him out of trouble and regrettably, Carrick's pace is nowhere near that.

Name Changed

weso26
Two blindfold Beckenbauers was that? Or the Frank Beckenbauer who plays for the Dog and Duck.
I can't imagine Fabregas and Denilson being able to play centre back, nevermind going away in Europe against the German champions and getting a result.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Back three was great. Carrick was brilliant and Evra was terrific. Don't think he made the slightest mistake. Won a lot of balls and never missed a pass.
Carrick had to organize a three man defence, not an easy job for a defender, especially when you're a midfielder. Was reassuring, looked more confident than Vidic has this season really.

dev1l

I wont be surprised if Fergie wants to give some more games in that position. Maybe who knows after failing to convince both Keane and Robson to play there, he ll manage to convince Carrick...

dhstriker

President of the Jamie Redknapp fan club
I lowered my expectations for them and the team in general due to the positions they were asked to play. Although in the end I don't think I needed to.

Carrick, in my view made a rash challenge which should've been a penalty.

Also, while he was not at fault for the goal, I think he could have done a bit better to not let Dzeko get a header in as easily as that.
I think a penalty would have been harsh. The Wolfsburg player intentionally knocked the ball away and would never have gotten to it before it went out of bounds. The player was looking for a foul and would never have controlled the ball.