Well done Michael Carrick

dev1l

yeah i rember Keano playing at the back. he looked bit lost.
The greatest advantage of playing someone like Carrick at the back, is having someone who can bring the ball out of the defence. Rio is very good at it and Evans look decent. But Brown and Vidic are not so good.

Someone like Carrick could be even better, spraying the ball around the ground and even dictating the tempo of the game. (anyone remembers Ronald Koeman? - Defensively,from the technical point of view,he was not the best but he was still considered as one of the top defenders because of the way he organised the defence and start attacks from the back)

On the other hand he looks a bit slow and might need someone fast alongside him.

As for his replacement in the middle, we already have a Carrick-clone..Gibson :lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The greatest advantage of playing someone like Carrick at the back, is having someone who can bring the ball out of the defence. Rio is very good at it and Evans look decent. But Brown and Vidic are not so good.

Someone like Carrick could be even better, spraying the ball around the ground and even dictating the tempo of the game. (anyone remembers Ronald Koeman? - Defensively,from the technical point of view,he was not the best but he was still considered as one of the top defenders because of the way he organised the defence and start attacks from the back)

On the other hand he looks a bit slow and might need someone fast alongside him.
As for his replacement in the middle, we already have a Carrick-clone..Gibson :lol:
You're speaking as though this is some sort of permanent arrangement. It's hardly ideal and the fact that he did well yesterday doesn't hide the fact that more mobile players will exploit that he is a midfielder doing a cover job.

dev1l

You're speaking as though this is some sort of permanent arrangement. It's hardly ideal and the fact that he did well yesterday doesn't hide the fact that more mobile players will exploit that he is a midfielder doing a cover job.
We' ll see....that could be one of the drawbacks..but Fergie might feel that the advantages outweigh the drawbacks.

For example, with someone like Carrick at the back, keeping ball possession might become easier and having more of the possession will mean that the opponents will have less time on the ball and consequently the chances of "exposing" Carrick will diminish.

Inigo Montoya

We' ll see....that could be one of the drawbacks..but Fergie might feel that the advantages outweigh the drawbacks.

For example, with someone like Carrick at the back, keeping ball possession might become easier and having more of the possession will mean that the opponents will have less time on the ball and consequently the chances of "exposing" Carrick will diminish.
SAF doesn't take risks with defenders and defensive options.This isn't an experiment like playing 4-5-1.It's borne out of a horrendous injury crisis.As soon as any central defender is fit Carrick will be restored to his best position

dev1l

SAF doesn't take risks with defenders and defensive options.This isn't an experiment like playing 4-5-1.It's borne out of a horrendous injury crisis.As soon as any central defender is fit Carrick will be restored to his best position
Not so sure of that...Fergie is never afraid to experiment. He tried it with Robson and then with Keane and in both cases, the decision to stop the "experiment" was taken by the player. In the early years, he had also tried (and failed) to convince Frank Stapleton to play at the back.

Inigo Montoya

Not so sure of that...Fergie is never afraid to experiment. He tried it with Robson and then with Keane and in both cases, the decision to stop the "experiment" was taken by the player. In the early years, he had also tried (and failed) to convince Frank Stapleton to play at the back.
So you're going back a few years to prove my point that SAF won't take risks anymore. Key word "failed"

dev1l

So you're going back a few years to prove my point that SAF won't take risks anymore. Key word "failed"
It "failed" only because the player refused to play there and not because Fergie changed his mind. As I said earlier, Fergie is never afraid to experiment.

Inigo Montoya

It "failed" only because the player refused to play there and not because Fergie changed his mind. As I said earlier, Fergie is never afraid to experiment.
So you reallybelieve that Carrick will continue to play at CH and SAF will use midfielders in defensive positions beacuse "he's not afraid to experiment"? Take the red specs off for a second.

PS: Stapleton( an Atkinson signing) was finished as a forward when SAF arrived, I don't believe for a moment he ever saw him as a CH.Refusing to pay in a position for SAF is as good as sticking two fingers up to him.

Partizan

Cheesy
We survived being bankrupt,we survived German bomb
don't insult a prick by comparing him to that plonker
I think one of the best aspects of this forum is the way opposition fans are not just tolerated, but encouraged to post alternative viewpoints, unlike, for instance RAWK, or bluemoon, and with that you expect a bit of banter, and the occasional WUM, but this fool is beyond the pail. The only wisdom he has shown is his username, a usless clogger, who made Nobby Stiles look like Garrincha in comparison.

Ole'sbodyguard

So you reallybelieve that Carrick will continue to play at CH and SAF will use midfielders in defensive positions beacuse "he's not afraid to experiment"? Take the red specs off for a second.

PS: Stapleton( an Atkinson signing) was finished as a forward when SAF arrived, I don't believe for a moment he ever saw him as a CH.Refusing to pay in a position for SAF is as good as sticking two fingers up to him.
I can't remember Fergie trying to turn Stapleton into a centre back either. Might have asked him to play in a crisis as Stapleton was a bloody good emergency centre back(remember 84 League cup final and 85 cup final), and we had injuries galore that season, but the reason he left was because he was finished. One of Atkinson's failings for me was not giving Hughes a better partner.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The backline has done really well and pig. Some great performances from everyone in general.

dev1l

having no crystal ball in front of me, i do not know what is going to happen in the future. I suppose that carrick will eventually return to cm but i willnever completely rule out that fergie will ask him to play there if he s happy woth his performances.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Robson and Keane may be all round players, but Carrick has that composure and positional discipline, and the height which would make adjusting to the centre back role alot easier.
Keane and Robson didn't have positional discipline or composure?

You're joking, right?

The reason they weren't much of a success there is because they were so much better in midfield, just like Carrick is. He'll move back into midfield and play a lot better game after game.

He did better than many expected but he still didn't show himself to be a viable option as a regular centre back. Which obviously he wasn't intending to do, nor was Sir Alex hoping he would, it's just now some people seem to think he is good enough and he's just not showed that.