We'll win a trophy next season

Dante

Average bang
2018/19: we finished top 8 in the league and got to the last 8 of a European competition

2019/20: we finished top 4 in the league and got to the last 4 of a European competition

2020/21: we finished top 2 in the league and got to the last 2 of a European competition

Next season, we'll do a PL and European double. The progress is undeniable.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
No.

We wont go out and buy a CB,RB,DM and RW. Its so obvious we need these to compete the squad.

We will probably get top 4 due to the poor state Arsenal+Spurs are in plus Leicester's annual bottle job.

No easy domestic cups with City about these days.

Dante

Average bang
Next year is our year.
This isn't like Liverpool where every failure gets blamed on bad luck and conspiracies. United have made very clear progress year on year. It might not feel like it right now, but we're objectively on an upward trajectory.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
3 years ago we lost a final and finished 2nd. The next season the manager was sacked and we finished 6th.

Do you really think your scenario is more likely?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I like the way you just mention a European competition. Like us playing in the Europa is considered progress. Cant even win the bloody thing, in such a lucky final were the opponent is so inferior. We wont win any trophy next year, not with Ole.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
This isn't like Liverpool where every failure gets blamed on bad luck and conspiracies. United have made very clear progress year on year. It might not feel like it right now, but we're objectively on an upward trajectory.
Oh I'm with you. Obviously my comment was a bit tongue in cheek.

Ole has taken us on an upward trajectory. My doubts about him taking the next step are clear but I hope with every fiber that he can! Not a manager I'd rather do it with.

Dante

Average bang
3 years ago we lost a final and finished 2nd. The next season the manager was sacked and we finished 6th.

Do you really think your scenario is more likely?
2018 was with an ageing team being pushed past its limits by a manager who burned all his bridges to get us there.

The current side is younger, hungrier, more naturally talented and more united behind their manager.

The only comparison is that they reached a similar height at the end of the season. The difference is that one did it on the way down while the other did it on the way up.

SAFMUTD

Sure it will happen mate...sure it will...you just have to believe strong enough...

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
2018 was with an ageing team being pushed past its limits by a manager who burned all his bridges to get us there.

The current side is younger, hungrier, more naturally talented and more united behind their manager.

The only comparison is that they reached a similar height at the end of the season. The difference is that one did it on the way down while the other did it on the way up.
This is nonsense.

Apart from our full-backs and Sanchez, we had Lukaku, Pogba, Herrera, Matic, Lingard, Jones and Smalling. Martial, Rashford and Mata came on as subs. Most of that squad was either young or in their prime. OGS went on his caretaker run with pretty much the same players.

As for the manager, Mourinho was past it and was still doing miles better than him. And he also got a few points less than this season's champions.

always_hoping

Well last seasons Europa league runners up recovered to win their domestic league this season.

Tyrion

I agree but I'm sceptical about whether Ole can take us up to the next level. Our scouting has improved and I'm glad we have a DOF but if we don't get closer to 1st and win something next season, I think we should look to someone else.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Meh. This was supposed to be when we won a trophy. It's seriously gutting to lose that game. We need a serious summer of intent, sorting the main transfer business early and going into the new season focused and upbeat again. The only thing that can give us that upbeat feeling is a summer transfer window with intent. Something like Sancho, a CB, Trippier all sorted out before our pre-season starts. Maybe leaving the midfield for the end (even though it should be higher in priority for me). There really is no excuses for not getting it done, but I'd be surprised if we sort it out early. If we get it right, then sure, I can see us winning a trophy next season. It's the bare minimum, along with a serious title challenge IMO. Trophy and a real title challenge or bust is where I see it now, which is nice to at least have elevated expectations and not see it like a permanent rebuild where we just settle for top 4 and progress. Results needed now.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I'm 100% pro Ole, I think he's overseen a major change in the culture of the club and a bit of a return to the previous standards but tonight is a major blot on his copy book. We just lost a European cup final we should've strolled to to a mid table Spanish side.

Granted, our bench is stacked with water carriers, but we should have got over the line in the 90 mins tonight.

FatTails

We won’t. If we couldn’t do it against a side this poor, when we were overwhelming favourites, we won’t be doing it against better sides.

peridigm

I’m just hoping we don’t regress like Spurs did after they made it to the CL final and lost.

Irwin99

Could easily happen, but we had two previous managers who won us trophies in less time and who were both sacked.

Next season has to be a title challenge and a good transfer summer from the board.