We're about to go on a title run, stop with the negativity

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
No worries, sorry for ruining your night with a post that actually mentioned I'm enjoying the moment. Hope we genuinely challenge for the title but I've always been a realist. If that's put of bounds now I may as well bugger off.
Would we be in this position (or even higher?) with another manager at the helm? Maybe, maybe not. It's impossible to say one way or the other. The only thing we know for certain is right now we are two points behind Liverpool, the closest we've been to the title at any point in the post-SAF era, and that's with Ole at the helm. You can't argue the facts.

Indranil Roy

I have been watching Manchester United play for the best part of 25 years, had created this account when Sir Alex retired, and I had promised myself that I won't post a single comment in this forum till Manutd look like a team worth challenging(mainly due to the extreme negativity of the match thread), I finally believe, that after a wait of 7 years, this team reminds me of the closest to Sir Alex team. The match gave vivid memory of the time when Park scored against Wolves in the 93rd minute to seal the victory, that day it was a horrible and tumescent performance, however the feeling that gave me, felt the same after this match.

I feel this team can challenge for the title, with a little bit of luck we can win it this season. I have seen so many games, where grinding out the 3 points is all that matters and i honestly felt elated after this match than leeds, because we were poor on the night, yet that belief that United may score has been rejuvenated this season for me. if United can get 4 points from the next 2 games, this will be a nailbiting season.

Reactions: RedSky

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What strikes me is you are in this position while under performing a bit, if you’d played beyond the squads ability to get here I’d expect a return to reality, but this squad has so much more to give, quite a few players have been playing below their best, so with a bit of form in the new year, when you traditionally improve, things could be looking very good.
Thats also what I think. Players like Telles, Shaw, DeBeek, Pogba, Martial and Greenwood can all go up a gear and we also have not had many 'perfect performances like recent ones vs Leeds or Everton.
And we've been relatively lucky with injuries and covid19 so able to rotate.

Last edited:

RedTiger

Half mast
I have been watching Manchester United play for the best part of 25 years, had created this account when Sir Alex retired, and I had promised myself that I won't post a single comment in this forum till Manutd look like a team worth challenging(mainly due to the extreme negativity of the match thread), I finally believe, that after a wait of 7 years, this team reminds me of the closest to Sir Alex team. The match gave vivid memory of the time when Park scored against Wolves in the 93rd minute to seal the victory, that day it was a horrible and tumescent performance, however the feeling that gave me, felt the same after this match.

I feel this team can challenge for the title, with a little bit of luck we can win it this season. I have seen so many games, where grinding out the 3 points is all that matters and i honestly felt elated after this match than leeds, because we were poor on the night, yet that belief that United may score has been rejuvenated this season for me. if United can get 4 points from the next 2 games, this will be a nailbiting season.
I hope you posting today is the good omen we need for the remainder of the season.

Mods, like his post please.

VanGaalEra

It’s a funny old season, if we can double up on our current run in the PL and make it 6 wins in a row, we’ll be effectively top of the league by the end of that run.

Any side that can go on a run of 5/6 straight wins a couple times in the season, will win the league. Truly believe 86 points will be enough and the squad needs to believe they can achieve that.
Our current run of 7 wins and 2 draws in our last 9 games has been fantastic. If only we’d held on against Leicester also!

If we can get another run like that, we’d be ahead of Liverpool.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

Good to have you on board!

And, I agree, you’d be hard pressed to find a game more resembling the spirit of Fergie’s United than what we did out there tonight. It’s good to see that fire burning again. Every time we do it, it gives the team — and the fans — confidence that we can do it again. And we’ll certainly have to, if we want to have a proper go at the title.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.

Park scored twice that day, didn't he?

Honestly, don't know how we're two points off the top of the table heading into 2021... prolly says more about others than it says about us!

Shark

@NotShark
Would we be in this position (or even higher?) with another manager at the helm? Maybe, maybe not. It's impossible to say one way or the other. The only thing we know for certain is right now we are two points behind Liverpool, the closest we've been to the title at any point in the post-SAF era, and that's with Ole at the helm. You can't argue the facts.
It's Impossibe to know but we could be in an even better position if our home form wasn't full of such patchy performances, including tonight. We're a good team on the road on the counter and against teams like Leeds that'll attack in numbers no matter what even at OT but to win titles you really need to be a force at home no matter how the opposition set up. Relying on our away form to continue as it has been isn't realistic so I really need to see more performances at both ends before becoming optimistic about getting near a title.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

Class first post! Great restraint.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

We are a confidence team now, results like today do a great deal confidence wise even though we weren't anywhere close to "good" today. However, even under fergie we didn't smash teams every week, wins like today's is what gets you to the top of the table.

VanGaalEra

Just looking at our next 10 PL games compared with Liverpool.

United:

Villa (H)
Liverpool (A)
Fulham (A)
Sheffield United (H)
Arsenal (A)
Soton (H)
Everton (H)
WBA (A)
Newcastle (H)
Burnley (TBA) (A)

Pool:

Newcastle (A)
Soton (A)
United (H)
Burnley (H)
Spurs (A)
West Ham (A)
Brighton (H)
City (H)
Leicester (A)
Everton (H)

If we want to win the league, we need to pick up 24-26 points in that run as a minimum hope Liverpool pick up 20. Get our noses in front with 13 games to go.

alexthelion

This is as close as we've been in years. Give the guy some credit, or if you cant bring yourself to do that, as least refrain from banging on about what you think about him where its not needed
Here, here (hear, hear?).

cyberman

United:

Villa (H)
Liverpool (A)
Fulham (A)
Sheffield United (H)
Arsenal (A)
Soton (H)
Everton (H)
WBA (A)
Newcastle (H)
Burnley (TBA) (A)

Pool:

Newcastle (A)
Soton (A)
United (H)
Burnley (H)
Spurs (A)
West Ham (A)
Brighton (H)
City (H)
Leicester (A)
Everton (H)

If we want to win the league, we need to pick up 24-26 points in that run as a minimum hope Liverpool pick up 20. Get our noses in front with 13 games to go.
Thats actually very favourable to Utd but im guessing the next 10 is a bastard for us!

GazTheLegend

It's really getting tiring. These people don't stop. It's absolutely crazy.
I'm losing my mind. It's like they can't be happy with a last minute winner. What the feck has this club done to people's mental health that they're basically always watching us vageuly hoping we lose now?????

The_Midfielder

Well if we are closer to the title, maybe we can buy somebody in December.. somebody as good as Bruno ??

However, I do not believe we are in the title race.. This team has too many holes for them to win consistently, our performance wavers from amazing to flat each game. Spurs were in the title race 3 games before and a couple of losses later they are struggling for Top 4. This season has been weird.

VanGaalEra

Thats actually very favourable to Utd but im guessing the next 10 is a bastard for us!
I Believe it’s City and Chelsea after that, around the time the CL comes around again.

I’d really bin off the cups from this point (Carabao aside as we’re already in the semi) and go full tilt for the league.

Dominos

United:

Villa (H)
Liverpool (A)
Fulham (A)
Sheffield United (H)
Arsenal (A)
Soton (H)
Everton (H)
WBA (A)
Newcastle (H)
Burnley (TBA) (A)

Pool:

Newcastle (A)
Soton (A)
United (H)
Burnley (H)
Spurs (A)
West Ham (A)
Brighton (H)
City (H)
Leicester (A)
Everton (H)

There are so many winnable games in our run. The real problem is right now we're still only a couple of bad results away from dropping out the top 4 again.. Villa, Fulham and Sheffield are must win to separate us from those who are currently just behind us and put us in a good position at the half way point. I'd take 24 points if offered right now, Liverpool have some horrible fixtures in their next 10.

Dominos

I Believe it’s City and Chelsea after that, around the time the CL comes around again.

I’d really bin off the cups from this point (Carabao aside as we’re already in the semi) and go full tilt for the league.
I think the only good reason to go full pelt for Europa league is if we need it as back up in case we miss out on top 4 (ala Jose's first season and last year where top 4 was touch and go). If by mid-Feb we have a comfortable lead over whoever's in 5th then I'd bin off the Europa and play 2nd string.

mav_9me

Well if we are closer to the title, maybe we can buy somebody in December.. somebody as good as Bruno ??

However, I do not believe we are in the title race.. This team has too many holes for them to win consistently, our performance wavers from amazing to flat each game. Spurs were in the title race 3 games before and a couple of losses later they are struggling for Top 4. This season has been weird.
Couldn't agree more. However I'm not too fussed abt the title race.

I'm just happy we are in a better place. Slowly improving squad.

Next step for me is improving the right side.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Performances are not counted, points are. We are where we are because our results (and performances for that matter) obviously haven’t been wavering anywhere near as much as you or everyone else likes to make out. We can win 6 on the trot then draw one and get called ‘inconsistent’ for it.

Red00012

We ain’t winning the league and we ain’t binning any cups Ole will be going balls out for a trophy this season whatever it is.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s a shame we don’t have the confidence of old.

With Fergie in charge, the hunting of Liverpool would be a beautiful formality from this position.

Withnail

United:

Villa (H)
Liverpool (A)
Fulham (A)
Sheffield United (H)
Arsenal (A)
Soton (H)
Everton (H)
WBA (A)
Newcastle (H)
Burnley (TBA) (A)

Pool:

Newcastle (A)
Soton (A)
United (H)
Burnley (H)
Spurs (A)
West Ham (A)
Brighton (H)
City (H)
Leicester (A)
Everton (H)

Absolutely, the next 10 games will decide if we can challenge this season.

I still think we'll need a bit of luck on the injury front.

Tyrion

Park scored twice that day, didn't he?

Honestly, don't know how we're two points off the top of the table heading into 2021... prolly says more about others than it says about us!
Looking at the table, Southampton in 9th are only 6 off Liverpool. The entire top half changes every weekend it seems.

At the start of the season, people thought City would be the main challengers, then Chelsea and then Tottenham. It changes every 2-3 weeks.

I'd be surprised if we seriously challenge. I think there's probably 3 teams with better squads than ours.

lex talionis

A few weeks ago I wrote something to the effect that a title run is not on.

It is now, my friends, very much on.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Well if Bruno stays fit and on form for the entire season then things are looking good for a title challenge.