We're actually quite good

Foxbatt

Back in the day it used to be - 'I really hope we beat Everton as it is an important result for our season'

Nowadays it is - 'I want to see if we beat Everton so I can decide whether our team are crap'
What are you talking about? In the old days it used to be it is a sure 3 points against Everton. Yes we did lose but no one had any doubts before the match that we would win.

ReddBalls

This might actually be the first part of my prediction where I said I think we'll improve the squad, start playing a bit better, keep Ole, but always be the nearly men who just didn't have the coach to navigate to titles. Perhaps like Rodgers at Liverpool.
Sounds like Pochettino at Spurs, to be frank.

meamth

it was until this idiot got involved. He had months to sort this, with everything in his favour.

Read what I posted: it is actually what happened.

Stop making excuses for this lot; Glazers, Woodward. Why do people take the alternative view for what is good for the club?
is it for attention or to try and look clever and understanding on the Internet? When this lot came along, the club was perfectly poised to buy almost whoever they wanted. The club were involved in 3x cl finals in 4 years before their presence took its toll. We’ve gone drastically downhill ever since. The stadium has been neglected for the first time since it was rebuilt after WWII. As if that isn’t enough, the club is burdened with nearly 400m of their personal debt, which the club and real fans will end up paying for. Furthermore, we replaced Ronaldo with Obertan, a crocked a Michael Owen and thats before we get to Vidic, Rio, Evra, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney replacements and I’m still merely skimming the surface.

when will people wake the feck up and stop defending these cnuts, Raiola, Pogba etc... support anyone but the club. Not a clue what it is to be a United fan. Just let anyone milk the club for their own personal gain whilst forumites try to look knowledgeable. Try being a supporter and go to a match. Even better, go to an away match. The regulars will put you right.

Sorry pal, went a bit beyond your post but hey, open your fecking eyes and stop excusing these leeches.
Calm down mate, Im all for Glazer's out.

I agree with everything you said, but I posted that with what's left of our resources.

I wish one day I can go to the matches, visited Old Trafford last year, dream came true.

Rossa

Yeah it's true, was great to watch Mata looking like he felt he was in the game playing alongside Bruno. Finally got somebody trying to play the same game as him. About 7 years too late really but hey, better late than never. Even with Herrera and Pogba it was only glimpses of the kind of football Mata likes, Bruno is on that wavelength though.
Mata, Herrera and Valencia had a nice triangle on the right for about half a season or so. They played some pretty nice football. Overall, I agree with you. I think, however, that Bruno seems to elevate players around him. He just sees those pockets of space that few others are able to spot.

bonothom

Everton away is a big game to see if we have improved since last season. If United get something there then we might get top 4.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If we can find a way to get a team with Pogba in it (or replace him with Grealish) then add Sancho (or another top RW) and get Rashford back then we are going to be very good next season.

DDG

AWB
Maguire
Bailly
Shaw

Fred
Pogba
Bruno

Sancho
Martial
Rashford

Add some depth pieces and that will challenge or at least take a massive jump towards competing.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Arent we like 40 points behind Liverpool?

They won’t match this season again, they’re obviously a good team but they’ve had a tremendous amount of luck along the way. Absolutely zero chance they match it next season. They’ll drop points and we will gain more as will city.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Fernandes looks like an excellent addition and has made a difference. However, we are on course for our worst ever points total in the Premier League - a points total that would ordinarily see you finish about 8th - while playing stodgy, counterattacking football. We are not a good side.
This is why I berate our personnel so much.
I'm actually not directing my ire to the players - more to the support staff and higher-ups. Mainly Woodward.

Steerpike

Every team we have lost.
So, by that argument, we're a better team than Chelsea (W3 L0), Manchester City (W2 L1), Leicester City (W1 L0), and Tottenham Hotspur (W1 L0), but not as good as Bournemouth (W0 L1).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Fernandes looks like an excellent addition and has made a difference. However, we are on course for our worst ever points total in the Premier League - a points total that would ordinarily see you finish about 8th - while playing stodgy, counterattacking football. We are not a good side.
That's true but losing our best player and having our two current top scorers out for big chunks of the season will do that to you, not to mention having our midfield picked apart by injuries. We've got players returning from injury now and January let us add a bit of quality and depth, so no more Pereira in midfield and hopefully no more players like Jones and Lingard eating up minutes, as harsh as that sounds.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
They won’t match this season again, they’re obviously a good team but they’ve had a tremendous amount of luck along the way. Absolutely zero chance they match it next season. They’ll drop points and we will gain more as will city.
They literally finished last season with just under a 100 points.

They are the team to catch. We need some strong recruitment to begin reeling them in.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
They had 97 points last season. I thought they couldn't keep that up. Maybe when we start to consistenly win games, we can begin to be a top 4 team. When we are consistently top 4 we can talk about the leap to challenging for the league. We still have our worst point tally in decades so far.

Withnail

So, by that argument, we're a better team than Chelsea (W3 L0), Manchester City (W2 L1), Leicester City (W1 L0), and Tottenham Hotspur (W1 L0), but not as good as Bournemouth (W0 L1).
I'm not sure where he was going with the original point.

We haven't been shown up against the better teams at all.

Falcow

Our first eleven could give anyone on the -planet- a hard game.

It's the squad depth that was a concern at the start of the season and still is now. However, Fred's miraculous improvement means that we now have options in midfield, the emergence of WIlliams and Greenwood mean we have options at full back and up top we are still light by one I reckon. But I maintain as the only side to take points off Liverpool this entire season that we really, really aren't that far away.

Hopefully continue to prove that against Everton and City next week!
I've been saying it all season that we are not far away. The difference that 2 or 3 top players can make to a side is phenomenal. Take City for example. They lost Laporte from defence and Fernandinho from midfield and suddenly they look human again - that's only two players. It would be the same for liverpool if they were missing VVD and say Mane this season.

If all we did in the summer was buy Sancho then I would expect us to mount a serious challenge for the league next season.

Football is 90% having the right players. As Ole has proven that he is capable of bringing the right players in, I'm very confident for next season. Jose/moyes and Lvg were unable to bring the right players in hence they struggled and were ultimately sacked.

Ten Hag looked like the worlds best manager last season and nearly made it to the Cl final, they lose their 3 best players and suddenly they cant even make it past the last 32 of the europa league. Having the right players is everything.

Jezpeza

Sounds like Pochettino at Spurs, to be frank.
in my opinion, Potch fell down in the big games. I’m all for a nice attacking mentality and that being our go to in games against the premier league bottom 12 etc. When you play the big teams at the top of the table and in the latter stages of cup competitions you have to ditch that if need be and get a result. He couldnt do that. And neither to an extent could Wenger in the end. I think we have it the other way round - we have the results against big teams but have struggled to beat the weaker ones.

Simbo

Quite Good?

How many professional football teams are there in the world? Fecktons. We are perhaps one of the top 30 of those teams... That's more that quite good, that's incredibly good.

TRUERED89

Quite Good?

How many professional football teams are there in the world? Fecktons. We are perhaps one of the top 30 of those teams... That's more that quite good, that's incredibly good.
Let’s keep fighting for top 6 in the PL then, as long as we’re top 30 in the world . Plenty work to do yet..

Man Utd should be top 10 in the world at worst!!

Last edited:

ReddBalls

in my opinion, Potch fell down in the big games. I’m all for a nice attacking mentality and that being our go to in games against the premier league bottom 12 etc. When you play the big teams at the top of the table and in the latter stages of cup competitions you have to ditch that if need be and get a result. He couldnt do that. And neither to an extent could Wenger in the end. I think we have it the other way round - we have the results against big teams but have struggled to beat the weaker ones.
That's my thinking as well. Pochettino is a good coach/manager, but Spurs consistently failed when the pressure was on and he had the worst record against the top 6 in his time there.

A lot of posters on here are obsessed with "tactics" and "patterns of play", ignoring that Fergies (and Klopps) biggest strength always was motivating his players and making them believe they could win every game.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Was pleasing is that when I saw the team sheet - wasn't too sure about the width but as a team we were fluid and I think Mata really worked well with Bruno. So maybe we'll see more from Mata from now till the end of the season with the added bonus, him and Bruno can take great set pieces. What's pleasing is Freds weight of pass through the center. I think we're now seeing the team emerge. Shaw as a left center back has done great. We could have been over reliant on Rashford and his loss could have hit us harder (and it might ...) but so far we've adapted and other players are scoring. We need to do better when we play from the back and continue to press in the right areas but I think things are better defined.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
2nd or 3rd? With that thin squad?

Leicester and Spuds have better start 11 than we have. Who they had on the bench versus Lingard?
I had us at 6th or 7th at the end of the season.

Let's be serious.
Thin squad? That is a myth.

This same team came second and went on that incredible 12-13 game win run last season. We have strength in depth, that is showed with the absence of our key players in Rashford and Pogba. The likes of Garner, Greenwood Gomes and Chong can’t even get enough minutes because of our full squad.

Lingard is an anomaly and is not worse than Aoyze Perez, and Albrighton. Pochettino left Spurs a balanced squad, but lingard was no worse than Ali or Eriksen when they were in that terrible run of form.

GazTheLegend

Our third choice number 9 was (and still is, I suppose, even with Ighalo) a 17 year old that had never once played a game of professional football. (now 18 but you get the point.)

Our second choice left back was a 34 year old right winger.

That's insanely thin. 2nd was never on the cards, be honest, we actually had a worse side at the start of the season than we started last season with, and they were nowhere near City or Liverpool's level LAST season. 3rd? With luck with injuries, sure. But with Europa league football factored in? Not a chance.

Lack of European football is what's driving Leicester to the season they're having. Similar to how the year they won the league it was all they had to focus on. Same with Wolves last season - not a coincidence sides overperform when they're fresh for their league fixtures every game. I sorta wondered at the start of the season if we were taking a calculated gamble to finish OUTSIDE the Europa league places - literally one step backward to try to get CL football the next time around, because we had no strikers at the start of the season - Rashford and Martial weren't even considered proper number 9's to begin with!

ben.heff10

That's my thinking as well. Pochettino is a good coach/manager, but Spurs consistently failed when the pressure was on and he had the worst record against the top 6 in his time there.

A lot of posters on here are obsessed with "tactics" and "patterns of play", ignoring that Fergies (and Klopps) biggest strength always was motivating his players and making them believe they could win every game.
People are right to talk about and even obsess over tactics - a manager's tactical decisions make up 50% of his matchday job (the other 50% being his man-management/motivational abilities).

I don't really buy the "tactica managerl" vs "motivational manager" thing, as Fergie and Klopp are/were very good tactically. Tactical ability doesn't mean a coach's ability to get his side playing a certain style of football, it refers to the strategies they implement to give their team the best possible chance of winning , as influenced by their side's strengths/weaknesses as well as the opponent's (e.g. Fergie playing Ronaldo wide left in the 2008 CL final to target Essien at RB, Klopp choosing to make TAA/Robertson his side's creative focal points rather than his comparatively weaker midfield). Guardiola, as reported by nearly every player he's ever managed, is also an excellent man-manager that does an incredible job in getting his players up for games.

From my view, Ole has done well with both of these up to now - the players seem to be really happy under him and he has shown the ability to devise a tailored tactical plan for every game (wins in big games have largely come down to his tactics, imo).

TL;DR: an excellent manager (Klopp/Fergie/Pep) needs to be great at both an excellent tactician and man-manager, and Ole is showing great potential in both of those areas.

ReddBalls

TL;DR: an excellent manager (Klopp/Fergie/Pep) needs to be great at both an excellent tactician and man-manager, and Ole is showing great potential in both of those areas.
It's hard to disagree with that. Point was Pochettino might be lacking in the man-manager department.

Edit: And that being good at tactics is not enough, which you seem to agree with.

Amadaeus

Our third choice number 9 was (and still is, I suppose, even with Ighalo) a 17 year old that had never once played a game of professional football.

Our second choice left back was a 34 year old right winger.

That's insanely thin.
That is normal.
Spurs second choice number nine is a 35 year old striker that is past his expiration date. Their 3rd choice was an unproven 16/17 year old striker.
Liverpool second choice is origi??? Barely good enough and they don’t have a third choice.
Arsenal has Auba who is similar to Rashford. third choice is also another unproven kid.

No top club has three quality no.9. With Ighalo, we have more depth upfront than most top teams. I can parse other team left back and compare to ours and the result will be the same.

As stated a myth blown out of proportion because of injuries.

pav1790

They literally finished last season with just under a 100 points.

They are the team to catch. We need some strong recruitment to begin reeling them in.
The Liverpool praise on this forum is a bit irksome, especially when it’s not even warranted.

Not saying they aren’t very very good but they are a team that’s peaking as the rest of the league is in mediocrity. And it shows. It’s a lot to do with belief as well. That will go as losses roll in. Even Barcelona at their peak weren’t this good in their league. This is a freak season and their record will be the one to beat in coming decades. But to say that they will do this season after season, I don’t even think Liverpool fans would expect it.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

Im enjoying the run don’t get me wrong but that Chelsea game they were missing Abraham, Hudson Idio, Kanté got injured, they are having issues with their goalkeeper and we still conceded a lot of good chances. The result was great but the win masked over a lot of issues at the back. We were a shambles defensively at times. Plus Maguire should have been off.
We were missing Rashford, Pogba, McTominay. I don’t get why people do this all the time. I remember last season “Chelsea were missing Hazard!!” while we were missing Pogba. Sort of weird.

ben.heff10

It's hard to disagree with that. Point was Pochettino might be lacking in the man-manager department.

Edit: And that being good at tactics is not enough, which you seem to agree with.
Gotcha, misunderstood your post :)

I'd agree with that, even last year against us at Wembley I thought Poch was quite naive tactically and his record against big teams has been really poor. I think there are worse options if our form takes a serious downturn but I don't think he'd be a major upgrade on what we already have.

Withnail

This same team came second and went on that incredible 12-13 game win run last season. We have strength in depth, that is showed with the absence of our key players in Rashford and Pogba. The likes of Garner, Greenwood Gomes and Chong can’t even get enough minutes because of our full squad.
You cannot say this is the same team that came second.

Also most of the young players are too young to warrant getting more minutes.
It's not like they're kicking the door down and would get into other PL teams is it?

Greenwood's the best of them and I'd argue he's getting enough minutes for his stage of development.

Amadaeus

It's not like they're kicking the door down and would get into other PL teams is it?

Greenwood's the best of them and I'd argue he's getting enough minutes for his stage of development.
I can because a majority of this player were there, but regardless if you don’t want to look at that, you can still look at the incredible run we had when Ole was interim manager, which was just last year.

Those young players are good enough for minutes, especially if we do have a supposedly thin squad.

ReddBalls

Yeah, hardly the same squad. Rojo, Sanchez, Lukaku, Zlatan, Smalling, Carrick, Blind, Young, Herrerra, Mkhitaryan, Valencia, Fellaini, Darmain all gone.

1​
GK​
2​
DF​
13(4)03030501025(4)010
3​
DF​
11(2)11(1)000300015(3)130
4​
DF​
5​
DF​
8(1)01010100011(1)060
6​
MF​
25(2)630103(2)01033(4)661
7​
FW​
8​
MF​
23(5)34(1)0105(1)00033(7)310
9​
FW​
33(1)163(3)50(2)0851145(6)2740
10​
FW​
1(4)000110(1)0002(5)100
11​
FW​
18(12)91(3)0314(4)10026(19)1110
12​
DF​
28(1)4502(1)0801044(2)440
14​
MF​
20(13)84(2)2233(3)01030(18)1350
15​
MF​
16​
MF​
1(1)0201000004(1)000
17​
DF​
4(3)01030610014(3)120
18​
MF​
28(2)23(1)000400035(3)290
19​
FW​
17(18)73(2)1323(5)30(1)026(26)1370
20​
GK​
21​
MF​
13(13)042205(1)01025(14)260
22​
MF​
11(4)1100(1)03(1)11016(6)220
23​
DF​
8(3)0401(2)0100014(5)020
25​
DF​
27​
MF​
5(11)40(3)0002(1)10(1)07(16)510
29​
FW​
31​
MF​
35(1)1410(1)06(1)01046(3)260
35​
DF​
36​
DF​
5(3)01(1)0302(1)01012(5)010
38​
DF​
0(1)000100(1)0001(2)010
39​
MF​
7(6)0302(1)02(2)00014(9)040
40​
GK​
00000(1)000000(1)000
43​
DF​
45​
GK​
47​
MF​
000(1)00000000(1)000
48​
MF​

ReddBalls

I can because a majority of this player were there, but regardless if you don’t want to look at that, you can still look at the incredible run we had when Ole was interim manager, which was just last year.

Those young players are good enough for minutes, especially if we do have a supposedly thin squad.
More than half of the first choice players that season is gone. See my post above.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Let's "be good" for more than a couple of games before we start talking about how good we are. We've been shite for 6 and a half years. It probably takes half a season of actual good football before we can legitimately think we're good.

Amadaeus

More than half of the first choice players that season is gone. See my post above.
You can list all the players that stayed and it will still be more significant. A lot of players you listed were just bit part players. Even then, you can also say that we have upgraded on some of these players and promoted much more better replacements. So, we should be doing better not significantly worse than what we are doing now.

ReddBalls

You can list all the players that stayed and it will still be more significant. A lot of players you listed were just bit part players. Even then, you can also say that we have upgraded on some of these players and promoted much more better replacements. So, we should be doing better not significantly worse than what we are doing now.
Still not the same squad, which was your point.