We're actually quite good

Withnail

You're right we're the 2nd or 3rd best squad and our lord and saviour would have been challenging for the title with it.

The problem isn't always the numbers its also the quality in those numbers. We had Andreas, Lingard and Mata as our number 10s. So yeah we were (pre Bruno) thin in that area even if we had 3 players over 23 for that spot. You've proved jack shit apart from putting your fingers in your ears and stubbornly repeating that the majority of the team remained from the second place team which means nothing if the regulars are gone and the best player is injured for most of the season.
No no mate you've got it all wrong.

He proved us wrong, told us good and proper he did :lol:

lysglimt

Scout
What was the criticism last weekend - it was only Watford we beat 3-0 ?

davidmichael

I think adding just Sancho, a defensive midfielder and Grealish to the squad whilst selling Pogba absolutely transforms us from battling for top four like we are to being only behind Liverpool and arguably City, we’re really not that far away from being a really good team.

No one is as strong as us goalkeeper wise as we’ve De Gea, Romero and Henderson whilst defensively we’re much better than we’ve been in years but will be better with a defensive midfielder that has legs and protects the defence.

Bringing in Grealish and a defensive midfielder to add to Fernandes, McTominay, Fred, Matic and Garner means we’re set in midfielder and well stocked with quality and versatility.

Bringing in Sancho to add to Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood, Mata and Lingard means we’ve got a lot of depth and a very strong first choice front three as well as great potential in Greenwood.

Yes we’ve still got deadwood in Sanchez, Rojo and Pereira but it’s not as bleak squad wise as it was this time last year and it potentially looks better for next year too. I still don’t think Ole is the man to lead us as I don’t think he’s a good enough coach but I do think we’re in better shape and if we get a Champions League place we can really kick on next season.

Dve

I think adding just Sancho, a defensive midfielder and Grealish to the squad whilst selling Pogba absolutely transforms us from battling for top four like we are to being only behind Liverpool and arguably City, we’re really not that far away from being a really good team.

No one is as strong as us goalkeeper wise as we’ve De Gea, Romero and Henderson whilst defensively we’re much better than we’ve been in years but will be better with a defensive midfielder that has legs and protects the defence.

Bringing in Grealish and a defensive midfielder to add to Fernandes, McTominay, Fred, Matic and Garner means we’re set in midfielder and well stocked with quality and versatility.

Bringing in Sancho to add to Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood, Mata and Lingard means we’ve got a lot of depth and a very strong first choice front three as well as great potential in Greenwood.

Yes we’ve still got deadwood in Sanchez, Rojo and Pereira but it’s not as bleak squad wise as it was this time last year and it potentially looks better for next year too. I still don’t think Ole is the man to lead us as I don’t think he’s a good enough coach but I do think we’re in better shape and if we get a Champions League place we can really kick on next season.
We need a striker more than anything. Unless Ighalo stays, of course, which I doubt.

davidmichael

We need a striker more than anything. Unless Ighalo stays, of course, which I doubt.
Bringing Sancho in means Greenwood can play through the middle and alternate with Martial as Sancho would have Mata and Lingard as his back up, I’ve got a horrible feeling we’ll end up with Sanchez next season so he’d surely play through the middle as third choice behind Martial and Greenwood.

I think Sancho, Grealish to replace Pogba and a defensive midfielder to upgrade on Matic are the essential priorities. If we can move Sanchez on then a low profile signing for a third choice striker is a possibility but not essential.

Dve

Bringing Sancho in means Greenwood can play through the middle and alternate with Martial as Sancho would have Mata and Lingard as his back up, I’ve got a horrible feeling we’ll end up with Sanchez next season so he’d surely play through the middle as third choice behind Martial and Greenwood.

I think Sancho, Grealish to replace Pogba and a defensive midfielder to upgrade on Matic are the essential priorities. If we can move Sanchez on then a low profile signing for a third choice striker is a possibility but not essential.
I don´t believe Sanchez will be part of the United squad next season. Ole don´t want him here, and he´ll either be lent out to another club, or just released.

I think Greenwood is better on the right, so I see him more as back-up for Sancho (hopefully) than Martial (who is not even a natural striker himself). Strictly speaking, we need 2 strikers.

We need a RW, yes, but a striker is more important than Grealish.

So my preferred list is:

1. Striker
2. AMR/FR
3. DM (if Matic goes) or AMC/L/R (if Pogba goes).

Withnail

I'd agree with you that those are the areas we need to improve and Sancho, Grealish and a quality DM is the best case scenario.

I'll be surprised if the club pull that off.

On Sanchez it really doesn't matter if we aren't able to offload him he won't get minutes unless we're in dire straights.

L1nk

Part of the reason I hate this forum is the complete overreaction to everything, a lot of people here are just so reactionary its insane.

The Ole in/out poll, it basically swings in multiple directions depending on if we win or lose 1 match
Martial has an absolutely appalling game, but scores 1 worldie and its Martial FC again and the fact he's been shite is forgotten
We've been pretty shocking for large parts of the season, with a shocking points total, and we've looked majorly clueless in a lot of games, whilst looking good in others, being largely inconsistent. Bruno comes in, we win a few games and all of a sudden we are an amazing team etc

It's just crazy, no we aren't a good team yet, wait until the end of the season, Martial still has a lot to prove and so does Ole, it's all this kind of thinking and reaction that has got us into this situation as a club.

Fussball13251

Part of the reason I hate this forum is the complete overreaction to everything, a lot of people here are just so reactionary its insane.

The Ole in/out poll, it basically swings in multiple directions depending on if we win or lose 1 match
Martial has an absolutely appalling game, but scores 1 worldie and its Martial FC again and the fact he's been shite is forgotten
We've been pretty shocking for large parts of the season, with a shocking points total, and we've looked majorly clueless in a lot of games, whilst looking good in others, being largely inconsistent. Bruno comes in, we win a few games and all of a sudden we are an amazing team etc

It's just crazy, no we aren't a good team yet, wait until the end of the season, Martial still has a lot to prove and so does Ole, it's all this kind of thinking and reaction that has got us into this situation as a club.
The first team isn't bad. We're just lacking some depth. If Fergie had this fist team squad they would be battling second no problem. If everybody is motivated we could go a win streak til the end on the season. Look at Everton.... much more motivated now.

Last edited:

Michael T

Looking at our remaining fixtures, I fully expect Ole and his budding squad to catch Leicester and Chelsea to bag third place in the Premier League, and to win the Europa League this season. Fourth place will be acceptable.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The problem is that 'quite good' is the best we can hope for, and not even that most of the time, because we play an outdated system which is the product of an outdated club structure which is a product of owners who have set up the club to generate money rather than results.

Withnail

The problem is that 'quite good' is the best we can hope for, and not even that most of the time, because we play an outdated system which is the product of an outdated club structure which is a product of owners who have set up the club to generate money rather than results.
Ok Debbie downer :(

Rish Sawhney

Yes because as we all know nothing makes money like not getting results.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Yes because as we all know nothing makes money like not getting results.
In fact that's absolutely correct. The most revenue comes from winning stuff, but to do that you have to outspend some seriously rich clubs. The most profit comes from scraping top four.

davidmichael

I don´t believe Sanchez will be part of the United squad next season. Ole don´t want him here, and he´ll either be lent out to another club, or just released.

I think Greenwood is better on the right, so I see him more as back-up for Sancho (hopefully) than Martial (who is not even a natural striker himself). Strictly speaking, we need 2 strikers.

We need a RW, yes, but a striker is more important than Grealish.

So my preferred list is:

1. Striker
2. AMR/FR
3. DM (if Matic goes) or AMC/L/R (if Pogba goes).
I think Greenwood has shown enough this season to suggest he’s better than a back up role and it’s clear he’s the best finisher we have at the club, there’s a lot of RVP about him and RVP played a season or two on the right but like RVP it’s clear that Greenwood is a striker and I think he’s good enough to push Martial so if Martial isn’t performing we’ve got Greenwood to play as an alternative.

In regards to Sanchez I just don’t see who’ll take him off our hands due to his wages and the fact he’s been awful at Inter all season when not injured so I think we’ll be stuck with him even though he’ll only play in a worst case scenario but also because we’ll most likely be stuck with him it’d likely mean we wouldn’t sign another striker.

Bringing in a right sided attacker has been a priority for at least 5 or 6 years so Sancho HAS to be the priority for us ahead of anything. I think a forward line of Rashford, Sancho, Martial, Greenwood, James, Mata, Lingard and worst case scenario Sanchez is enough although I wouldn’t be against signing Ighalo if we can shift Sanchez.

Grealish has the ability to play anywhere from central midfield to 10 to either flank and if as expected Pogba goes then we need more than just Fernandes to create, that’s been the problem for years due to us relying on Pogba to create on his own so we need more than one source of creativity especially against teams that park the bus and we struggle to break down. Imagine having Fernandes and Grealish creating with the pace of Sancho, Martial and Rashford ahead of them away to teams that park the bus.

I'd agree with you that those are the areas we need to improve and Sancho, Grealish and a quality DM is the best case scenario.

I'll be surprised if the club pull that off.

On Sanchez it really doesn't matter if we aren't able to offload him he won't get minutes unless we're in dire straights.
Exactly how I think about Sanchez, he’ll literally be a worst case scenario but at the same time he will be a potential option which I why I don’t see us going for a striker unless we manage some how to offload him, I’d be happy with Sanchez gone and bringing in Ighalo as third choice to Martial and Greenwood.

I’m probably giving our recruitment team too much credit but I like to think they’ve already started the process for Sancho and Grealish which means they’d have the summer to sort out a quality defensive midfielder, if Ole is staying next season then I like to think he’s used this season to work out who he wants to bring in as defensive midfielder so it’s a case of finalising the deal.

zenith

We have our defence and midfield on good shape now, with options available in terms of both depth and quality.

Let's hope and pray for no more injuries and then we can look forward to a summer, where we can finish building a really good squad and starting 11.

AaronRedDevil

This team is pathetic. Never seen so many chances gifted to United and still they feck up every time. Just want this season over and focused on the EL. No way in hell United are getting top 4. Just stop it.

Woodenlung

We look good when a side doesn't press us. Everton backed off and let us play and we really should be scored a few. But as soon as they started pressing us we back off and retreat.

We're a complete midtable side.

hobbers

A nice reminder that we're actually quite shit.

Especially with Ole's always-detrimental in game management.

flappyjay

Said this was premature. Everton exposed us for a second year in a row

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That brilliant defensive performance vindicates this thread.

Ancelotti has this Everton side performing like top four contenders, and we dealt with them as well as anyone since he arrived.

Honestly, I cannot recall a better showing from our backline at any period since Fergie retired. We are clearly making strides forward.

RyRy11

Every time a positive thread pops up the next game we throw away points

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We could've had 3/4 on another day, that double save at the end by Pickford was otherworldly. Goodison away is one of the hardest games for us these days.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We could've had 3/4 on another day, that double save at the end by Pickford was otherworldly. Goodison away is one of the hardest games for us these days.
We didnt play well today second half

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
Even with Bruno playing out of his mind, we're still so shit.
When has Bruno played out of his mind? It seems that the shitness displayed from Lingard and Pereira has made people overrate a decent performance. The overreaction from the Brugge game has been quite funny to observe. The matter of fact is that we still lack quality in this team. I see a lot of hard work in that midfield but no real quality.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
When has Bruno played out of his mind? It seems that the shitness displayed from Lingard and Pereira has made people overrate a decent performance. The overreaction from the Brugge game has been quite funny to observe. The matter of fact is that we still lack quality in this team. I see a lot of hard work in that midfield but no real quality.
Ok.

L1nk

Ancelotti saw what we were doing first half, adjusted, and we didn't adjust in the second half in order to get back into the game as we had in the first half really.

izec

3 or 4? Not really. Except for the Pickford save, he had nothing to do. Everton had as many chances really. Hit the post and had the big opportunity.

Canagel

not even better than Evertin. But we are so good because we beat some average team from Belgium.

Maybe we are good to give some fairness to OP. good for midtable that is

BlahRules

Ancelotti saw what we were doing first half, adjusted, and we didn't adjust in the second half in order to get back into the game as we had in the first half really.
Shows the difference of what we have and the rest of the league has. We need a manager that is tactically sound if he is not a good coach.

What is OGS? Tactically inept and is not a good coach.