We're so flat.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hand on heart, how many of you think our attacking play comes anywhere near the levels that City/Liverpool produce.. let alone the elite in Europe?
We don't play anywhere near well enough as a team. There is no pattern of play or idea of how to constuct passing moves.

Mourinho obviously trusts the individuals and says go out and play, it works in a proper 50/50 game but against a rigid defensive wall we struggle.

When passing lanes get shut off we go long far too quickly and regularly. The balls forward aren't even well measured either, we just hit and hope and give it away.

I would love for us to practise working the ball down the wing in the triangles we did under ferguson and even LVG at some stages, but still have the defensive ability mourinho has installed.

We just need to learn to keep the width and be more patient against teams like this, we are always in a hurry to get into the box as quick as possible we never really pull them out of shape.

Kant-ona

We all could deal much better with matches like Rostov if this team would show some brillant stuff from time to time. Then it would be much easier to say "Well, they were tired, at least they have done the job". But we seem to have problems in nearly every match.

Warwick

We came straight out the blocks against Chelsea. We looked great for 30 mins.
Don't understand why we played so poorly. At times there wasn't a player within 30 yards of our man on the ball, nobody up front, Ibra was playing midfield most of the game just like Rooney did looking for the ball, the back 3 static. This was Rostov ffs, 5 at the back and 2 holding midfielders . Can Jose not see what i can see? It was like LVG was back. Agghhhhh

ChaddyP

I thought the main reason we looked flat (other than fatigue) was the system. I think Jose's been using this 5-2-3 recently to combat the similar systems Chelsea and Rostov use and keep it tight. The problem is it doesn't create much. As Robbie Savage kept repeating every couple of minutes last night, our three centre backs were just sitting in position all game and wouldn't take any risks at all. Blind isn't exactly an attacking wingback so the only real penetration came from Valencia's side. Rostov packed the midfield and made it difficult to play the ball forward. We knew we didn't have to score so I think the plan was to firstly not concede, and if we could score a goal, that's a bonus.

It wasn't exciting to watch but we got the result. There are games where you can go all out with attacking football but we didn't need to here, Jose knew how to get the result. It's just unlucky we picked up another couple of injuries as we'd probably hoped we could avoid that.

I'm happy with how Jose set up. much more sensible than let's say pep who had a 2 love lead going into an away match and played an open side against the most free scoring team in Europe. At the end of the day we are in the quarters.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Evidently not more than enough players of the quality the manager wants/needs. Expect more surgery to our squad in the summer.
But we're going into the crucial run-in right now, and it's a problem he has to put a plaster over in the present and then do the proper work in the summer.

If he keeps this up, with so few players, they're going to completely burn out by May. That would be poor management considering he has so many ways to keep things ticking over with a relatively good level of freshness throughout the squad.

It would be at least understandable if our '1st xi' were playing good football, at least then, disrupting momentum and cohesion would be an issue.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We create about a zillion chances every game pretty much... are we really that bad at creating? Even against parked busses we usually force a couple of chances through sheer will.

Also, in these draws, we routinely dominate the game and outplay the opposition, so really, do we get dragged down to their level?
The problem is that a lot of these chances fall to Pogba and he has a 47.6% chance of hitting it off target and only a 34.5% of hitting it on target. Not as bad as Herrera though who's had 30 shots and only hit 4 on target (13.3%). :lol:

macwemyss

I'm happy with how Jose set up. much more sensible than let's say pep who had a 2 love lead going into an away match and played an open side against the most free scoring team in Europe. At the end of the day we are in the quarters.
Yeah I agree, it was a game where we knew Rostov would be disciplined and try to break on us, so the formation meant we were well stocked at the back. They were the ones who needed a goal so no need to go all out trying to score and risk being hit on the counter. I think Jose got his tactics spot on :)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We create about a zillion chances every game pretty much... are we really that bad at creating? Even against parked busses we usually force a couple of chances through sheer will.

Also, in these draws, we routinely dominate the game and outplay the opposition, so really, do we get dragged down to their level?
A lot of the chances are from laboured, predictable build up and that transfers to how good the chance is, how spontaneous it is, and how ready the keeper/defenders are to deal with it, in my opinion. Forcing shots off for the sake of it, and thinking that extra split second too long about the finish don't help.

Solver

I can understand what people are saying - fatigue, etc, but the main reason is the type of player that is there. Teams that are not 'flat' have fast technical players, especially in the midfield and forward areas. Nothing beats a player who can beat those of the opposition, eliminating stumbling blocks and then creates a chance for a mate or for himself. Messi does that very well for Barca, but granted, he is one of a kind but there are many others who can do the same- Lacazette, Pjanic (when he cares), Hazard, etc. Here which ones like that are in the squad? Oxlaide Chamberlain when he is not on the treatment table kinda does it for Arsenal- these types lift their own mates and the crowd. Added to that, Jose is a manager who prefers workhorses (like Benitez) to dribblers, technically astute players ... to wear down the opposition. Contrast these types of Sir Alex's risky football with your Giggs, Yorkes, etc.... I hope Jose will change and buy such players and then give them the freedom to shine

Solver

Hand on heart, how many of you think our attacking play comes anywhere near the levels that City/Liverpool produce.. let alone the elite in Europe?
it's not very good at the moment but it's improving always; I reckon next season things will be much better, so much better in fact the club will start winning things big again

frank lee madeer..

We're looking a bit tired , but imo its more than that. When you cut to the chase , we play minimum risk football.
We dont commit enough men into the opponents box.
Can any of you honestly remember the last time we got carved open on the counter ? I cant , & the reason is , because we dont commit fully enough to our own attacks for us to be countered.
We are still playing with the handbrake on . People can harp on all they like about the amount of chances we create , & we do , but theres only generally 1 person they are created for. If he misses , we have nobody else in the box to sweep home the rebound. Other teams get more goals because they do get men forward, they do get rebounds , they do make defenders panic into mistakes etc.

The Hacker

Don't question anything. All the players are brilliant and cannot be criticised. We got through the tie so you're not allowed to complain. You'll also definitely be called knee jerk for making a point close to a match.
This isn't RAWK.

Jaxdan

Surely that comes down to poor squad utilisation? We have more than enough players to not be in a predicament where we look so devoid of energy in the middle of March.
Maybe. But then we complain because____________ isn't in the starting XI, etc. Juggling the lineup over the course of so many fixtures, and still trying to achieve results, has got to be a difficult balance.

Eli Zee

I'm fine with taking it wide and getting in those crosses, but we should have more creativity in the center of the attacking third.

I saw like no movement, no one attacking open spaces... players only staying wide for switches but didn't see too many runs into space that would unsettle a defense

We aren't a tiki-taka team atm and maybe that's why, but it'd be nice to have more than 1-2 moments of tiki-taka per game to outdo a defense

wolvored

We're looking a bit tired , but imo its more than that. When you cut to the chase , we play minimum risk football.
We dont commit enough men into the opponents box.
Can any of you honestly remember the last time we got carved open on the counter ? I cant , & the reason is , because we dont commit fully enough to our own attacks for us to be countered.
We are still playing with the handbrake on . People can harp on all they like about the amount of chances we create , & we do , but theres only generally 1 person they are created for. If he misses , we have nobody else in the box to sweep home the rebound. Other teams get more goals because they do get men forward, they do get rebounds , they do make defenders panic into mistakes etc.
This is exactly right. Look at old clips when we attacked we would have at least 3-4 bombing into the box. Last night we sometimes had 2 and sometimes just the 1. Look at Liverpool Spurs even City. Thats why were not scoring enough goals.