Wesley Fofana

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
What kind of team would spend 80 million on a centre back from Leicester? That would be ridiculous.

75 mil inc addons so Chelsea are probably paying about 40 upfront.

Bargain.
75 plus achievable add ons that will make it a world record for a defender.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We’re overpaying, can’t get away from that, but once you kind of make your peace with the fee, then it’s easy to get excited by what Fofana brings to Chelsea.
Everyone is over paying this summer. At what point does this become the new standard?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
When Cucurella was signed posters suggested Chilwell can play CB and they both play together

You got it the wrong way around. It’s Cucurella people said could play CB, not Chilwell. And we might just find out today how valuable that is with Koulibaly suspended, I suspect both Chilwell and Cucurella will start against Leicester later.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
When Cucurella was signed posters suggested Chilwell can play CB and they both play together.

Silva, Koulibaly and Fofana will surely be the starters
That was a pretty silly suggestion, especially as Cucurella is more likely to play in the back three.

But sure, that 3 will probably eventually be the first pick.

OmarUnited4ever

It's 75 inc addons unless Romano is wrong.

Happy to see someone more reliable say it's 75 plus addons.

I don't really care, it's a shitload regardless.

If I hazard a guess, it's probably 67M + 15M = 82M

just guessing though based on what Liam said

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m disagreeing with Duffy that Chelsea are only paying 40m up front. It’ll be at least 60 upfront for the reasons ive already outlined

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's crazy they've spent so much this summer without addressing the fact they struggle to score goals or create chances
Jorginho getting ready for his second season as Chelsea’s top scorer :smirk:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
That was a pretty silly suggestion, especially as Cucurella is more likely to play in the back three.

But sure, that 3 will probably eventually be the first pick.
I think he provides some much needed recovery pace to that back line but with that big injury remains to be seen whether he can keep up with the trajectory people anticipated he would have before it happened. He’s under a quality coach and next to two fine defenders to learn from if he applies himself correctly.

What surprised me was how weak his passing game was, despite being a quality dribbler.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not easily attainable could mean PL and/or CL?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It has been for a very, very long time. Maybe Neymar as the catalyst? Could definitely point to a few before that mind.
Neymar followed by Barca splashing the profits from that on Dembele and Coutinho. Up until then the world record was £89m for Pogba, over three years after the £86m for Bale, which was four years after £80m for Ronaldo. That €200m was insane in comparison. Changed everything really.

DevilRed

You can understand why the fee is high. He is only 20-21 years of age.

His resale value could be another 30-40% higher in the next few years if all goes to plan. Even if he flops, they would still be able to sell him for a significant fee due to his age.

From an accounting/financial perspective, if you can spread the fee out over 10 years (in your books), it would be a bargain.

Not a dissimilar situation to Antony. Except Antony is an attacking player and they generally go for more money. Its just the market we are in right now.

Abraxas

I think the fee is also really high because Leicester paid 30 million themselves, added to potential and age.

No self respecting football club sells key players at a small profit margin, it is usually at least double. If you buy a player for 30 million plus add ons and sell for 50, that isn't great business as you're not adequately compensated for losing a good player and replacing him with an unknown. The model has to give you sizeable profit to reimagine the squad.

The reason the fee looks massive is because Leicester already paid good money for potential, which they haven't had the time to fully unlock and now Chelsea pay a premium on that potential again.

Jinn

We should throw our hat in the ring.
Feck it up for Chelsea like they feckin things up for wrt Anthony.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
75 mil inc addons so Chelsea are probably paying about 40 upfront.
I’m disagreeing with Duffy that Chelsea are only paying 40m up front. It’ll be at least 60 upfront for the reasons ive already outlined
£70m upfront
Why does anyone really care about the payment schedule? For accounting purposes, as well as FFP, the guaranteed basic fee (not including add-ons) will be divided by the contract length to come up at an annual amortisation figure regardless of when the actual money gets transferred to Leicester's bank account so as long as they're terms that both clubs are comfortable with the only thing that really matters is the total amount of the transfer.

For all intents and purposes the fixed basic fee will be £70M and on top will be add-ons that can take the total figure up to anywhere between £75-81M depending on which source one chooses to believe. The criteria for the add-ons is anyone's guess, although lots of journos have said most of the add-ons will be easily achievable while the rest can even be considered unlikely to be ever triggered. Whether Chelsea pays the fixed £70M in one go or across multiple seasons won't have any effect on the club's books, it's just a cash flow thing.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Leicester fans are taking this well I see

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
It’s a great signing for Chelsea, had to be said. Shame it didn’t eclipse the Maguire fee…just shows that we were fleeced 3 summers ago.

Hoping this means Leicester re-sign Maguire from us…

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Enjoy it, in a couple of years he’ll be doing it to you
To go where exactly?

Being a £75M+ player now and no doubt on high wages means he's priced out of a move to pretty much every club out there. I very much doubt there will be a club offering at least £120M for him in a couple of years and if he's as good as we're hoping him to be he won't be sold for any less either.

cyberman

To go where exactly?

Being a £75M+ player now and no doubt on high wages means he's priced out of a move to pretty much every club out there. I very much doubt there will be a club offering at least £120M for him in a couple of years and if he's as good as we're hoping him to be he won't be sold for any less either.
You’ll be loaning him out and paying his wages in all likelihood!

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
To go where exactly?

whom ever bats their eyes at him in all likelihood

TheReligion

Abusive
To go where exactly?

Possibly a bigger club in England or abroad.

That’s if he does well.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
he's done it twice in 2 years, when people show you who they are you should believe them. It left a bad taste in my mouth at the time I just hoped he's be more professional when the time came with us, but clearly not

mu4c_20le

he's done it twice in 2 years, when people show you who they are you should believe them. It left a bad taste in my mouth at the time I just hoped he's be more professional when the time came with us, but clearly not
Yeah but it's leicester, maybe he saw the writing on the wall after BR bottled top 4 twice and knew that's as far as he can take you. Mane was also like this when he wanted out of Salzburg, but didn't pull anything with pool until they were prepared to let him go anyways.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Yeah but it's leicester, maybe he saw the writing on the wall after BR bottled top 4 twice and knew that's as far as he can take you. Mane was also like this when he wanted out of Salzburg, but didn't pull anything with pool until they were prepared to let him go anyways.
then he shouldn't have signed a 5 year contract in March

Conor

I'm hearing it's 100m up front, and Leicester give 25m back next year.

DevilRed

Sterling, Fofana, Koulibaly, Cucurella. Big summer for Chelsea. But it's not complete until the big one - Anthony Gordon.
feck me. sterling was a steal, but the rest of them are bang fecking average :lol:

Not that they had a choice mind you. They missed out on all their top targets like kounde, haaland etc.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
In what league are Koulibaly, Fofana and Cucurella „bang fecking average“??

Haaland would have never chosen Chelsea as his next club. Either City or eventually Real Madrid.

Anyway, not my money and I rather we overpay on fitting quality players than going for alternatives that are cheaper but not improving our squad. Since we are somewhat going into this transfermarket blindfolded with no DoF and a new owner
with quite some restructuring behind the scenes going on I‘m quite okay with this window. If they‘d add a decent stop gap striker solution like Aubameyang I‘m all set. :)

I‘ll exempt Gordon from all that though since I actually have never really noticed him. But anybody who seems to be able to allow James to get more often into the oppos‘ box is worth the money imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.