Wesley Sneijder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Carrick worked well with Scholes, but I do think mobile players in midfield is becoming a requirement now as other teams have plenty of them. Sneijder plays in front of two midfielders that do the donkey work at inter, but we don't really have the same options in midfield.
Italian football is far more defensive though to be honest; nearly every team play like that. I'm waiting till we sign him and play him for a while before I'd be making any judgement. Best midfielder we could sign bar the genuine artists at Barcelona

Siorac

Nah, we need players who can keep possession, otherwise we're doing well as we are. Good you've got a player who can can break up play, but you still need players to be able to keep ball. I think it's a bit archaic to think we need energy and determination - we've got that in spades. What we lack is class on the ball in the centre of the pitch.
In an ideal world, we also need someone who can break up play and offers us mobility and some class on the ball but I agree that the priority should be a creative type with great ball retention and technical ability.

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
In an ideal world, we also need someone who can break up play and offers us mobility and some class on the ball but I agree that the priority should be a creative type with great ball retention and technical ability.
I think a fully fit Fletcher would be more than capable of doing "the leg work" alongside Sneijder in midfield. Lets just hope that he can start to recover and be a valuable asset this this.

wr8_utd

:'(
Paul Scholes: "Yes, Sneijder's brilliant. He's been brilliant for the last year or so with Inter Milan and Holland. I don't think it probably worked out as well as he would have liked at Real Madrid but he's a top player. I'm sure there's a lot of clubs who will be after him if he is available.

But we've got a lot of young talent as well, people like Tom Cleverley coming back from Wigan. Paul Pogba's another good player and another good midfielder in the youth team set-up. Ryan Tunnicliffe was sensational in midfield every time I saw him . He has such a physique and presence about him and hunger and desire, which is what you need to go with quality as well. I know he has gone out on loan now and probably won't be available for us. Morrison, Will Keane, there are a lot of players. Looking at the youth team, next year I think we have a lot of good prospects for the first team."

TheReligion

Abusive
This thread is huge.

In all seriousness is there any chance of us getting him?

I have noticed everywhere seems to be talking about United and Wes, so is it all sensationalist, or is there truth behind it?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Italian football is far more defensive though to be honest; nearly every team play like that. I'm waiting till we sign him and play him for a while before I'd be making any judgement. Best midfielder we could sign bar the genuine artists at Barcelona
They played this way in Europe also. I would have took Nasri over him if that was an option, but we'll have to see with that one. I'd love to see how Götze would fare in midfield. He's a quality little player and I think he's intelligent enough to play CM. He reminds me a bit of Wilshere.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Ive no doubt that he'd be a hit here. He's one of the worlds best players afterall. He the type of player we need too. Someone who can use the ball and provide that bit if quality and spark when needed. I don't think we have a problem winning the ball back, keeping it though is something which we've struggled at times. Sneijder would help in that department.

I think this is going to go on until the transfer window shuts. Only then will know where he'll be playing next year. Personally, I'd be happy to be able to watch him at OT in the red shirt.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Personally my first choice would be Schweinstieger, followed by Modric, Sniejder then Nasri.

I think Sneijder is a world class player but I am concerned that he isn't, as some people suggest, a Scholes type replacement. Paul Scholes got through so much work in his prime, he wasn't quite box to box like Keane but still, he had more energy to his play than Sneijder does. Sneijder is a player that floats around, gives short sharp periods of creative play and then waits until his next involvement. He doesn't go looking for the ball in the way that Scholes would. However, I'm sure that he would adapt to a deeper role and that's something that many great attacking players do as they get older. Sneijder is currently in his peak years, but it woud not be a suprise to see him develop into a Pirlo type midfielder in the future.
Just going by availability / price, I would not even have considered Schweinsteiger tbh, as I think we might as well then put in a bid for Fabregas etc - that's how difficult it will be to get him off Bayern. You're right though, ideally it would be him before Modric, Sneijder, Nasri but realistically speaking he should be classified with the Fabregas/Xavi/Iniesta's as unattainable.

I'd agree with your assessment on Sneijder, he doesn't nearly get stuck in enough to play in a 2 man midfield - that's not to say he doesn't have the ability to etc but what's the point in us pointing out the obvious? I'm sure SAF would have sorted this out already - if we are indeed interested.

We can go with a 3 man midfield when needed, we can use Giggs/Park to drop back into midfield off the wing, we can play Sneijder with Carrick against most teams in the prem...whatever - the point being SAF would have options and also a clear idea in mind before stumping up such sums of cash.

johnmufc

If this is true, then it is a huge error. He is not the player required, and a superior player in Rooney will suffer because of this signing.

Lance Uppercut

If only Fergie had the sense to tap the vast array of superior football knowledge that is the Football Manager geeks on Red Cafe.

johnmufc

Fergie is not perfect in the transfer window. No one is.

I believe this will prove to be a costly error. This is simply my opinion, you do not have to share it.

Lance Uppercut

Fergie is not perfect in the transfer window. No one is.

I believe this will prove to be a costly error. This is simply my opinion, you do not have to share it.
I am just interested, why do you think that you know better?

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
If you aren't allowed to disagree with SAF's decisions on this forum then it might as well be shut down. He's the best manager in football but he's made plenty of poor decisions over the years. Personally I'd be happy with almost any CM at this moment in time so I don't view this particular decision (if indeed one has been made) as a mistake. Nevertheless I don't believe SAF is infallible and neither should any right minded supporter.

Brophs

The One and Only
Surely we get to have an opinion that doesn't immediately get shot down with the 'Fergie knows better' line? For what it's worth I think we already have a better player playing in the position Sneijder likes to play. I would be a bit concerned we're going to have another Veron on our hands, though I agree he's a class player. Hopefully I'm wrong. But Fergie's not infallible so we should be able to discuss these things.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If you aren't allowed to disagree with SAF's decisions on this forum then it might as well be shut down. He's the best manager in football but he's made plenty of poor decisions over the years.
Yeah, wearing that bobble hat at Upton Park was one. :D

Lance Uppercut

Of course people are entitled to an opinion. But when you say something like this:

If this is true, then it is a huge error. He is not the player required, and a superior player in Rooney will suffer because of this signing.
It genuinely amazes me.

surf

Wezza and Wazza. I wonder how they would fit in together.

His long game is very good, which should suit a pacy counter attacking side with good wide men and fast strikers. And his delivery of free kicks and corners is better than anyone already at the club. And he scores from distance.

Brophs

The One and Only
Of course people are entitled to an opinion. But when you say something like this:

It genuinely amazes me.
Why? It's his genuine opinion, from what I can tell. Is it that far out there to suggest buying a player for such a massive sum could go wrong?

Lance Uppercut

Why? It's his genuine opinion, from what I can tell. Is it that far out there to suggest buying a player for such a massive sum could go wrong?
"He is going to be shit and he is going to feck up Rooney."

Brophs

The One and Only
"He is going to be shit and he is going to feck up Rooney."
Yeah, but he's not said that, has he? You're speaking in absolutes whereas he said he doesn't think Sneijder is the right purchase and Rooney's performances may be affected. I think that's at least an arguable point.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.

It genuinely amazes me.
Does it though?

Are you literally amazed at an opinion...on a football issue? And a fairly mundane, commonplace opinion at that?

Sw33t

Yeah, but he's not said that, has he? You're speaking in absolutes whereas he said he doesn't think Sneijder is the right purchase and Rooney's performances may be affected. I think that's at least an arguable point.
He is not the player required, and a superior player in Rooney will suffer because of this signing.
Sounds like he's talking in absolutes to me :wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.