West Ham at the London Stadium | Nearly £450k of taxpayers money used to try and find a sponsor

Ban

Doesnt give a vibe of a PL stadium at all especially with stands being so far from the pitch.
Game on Monday looked like some European away game.
Give Hammers' fans those irritating trumpets and it will be like in Ukraine.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Doesnt give a vibe of a PL stadium at all especially with stands being so far from the pitch.
Game on Monday looked like some European away game.
Give Hammers' fans those irritating trumpets and it will be like in Ukraine.
Reminds a bit of the Roma/Lazio stadium.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Yeah, but it was relatively isolated pockets from where I was
Have they sorted out the segregation issues between home and away fans yet? I'm down there on Friday for our FA Cup game and looking forward to it.

rotherham_red

Have they sorted out the segregation issues between home and away fans yet? I'm down there on Friday for our FA Cup game and looking forward to it.
Yeah, it largely went off without a hitch as far as I was aware

Precaution

I went to the stadium during Olympics/Paralympics, amazing stadium but the Atmosphere even during the games was non existent, it was more to do with the light show and what was happening on the pitches (i went for the opening/closing ceremony too) i always had the belief it wouldn't of made a great football stadium, the shape of the ground is all wrong and the seats at the time at least were too far from the action, outside the stadium you have that god awful tower thing and it's really fan friendly, very corporate and confusing of how the hell you get out of there.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
http://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-to-face-olympic-stadium-cost-questions-10735182

The costs include an estimated £8m every year to move supposedly retractable seats, installed to bring football fans closer to the action, off the track to allow athletics every summer.

The original projection was it would take just five days to move the seats at a cost of around £300,000 a-year.

Rather than sliding on the planned hydraulic system however the stands have simply been built on the track, and have to be dismantled and moved by hand in a process that could take up to 30 days in total.

That would eat into the time available for athletics and a planned community and concert programme every summer.

The bill for conversion has risen from £272m to £323m, and the total cost of the stadium to £752m.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Uh oh. What does this mean for West Ham? If they're asked for more money and they refuse to pay what will be the consequences? Surely they can't be turfed out.

Last edited:

Plato

£2.5m a year.

I thought they made it illegal to pick up kickbacks in football.

BigBebe

Real Madrid were fined by the EU as they were deemed to have received state aid which is not allowed under EU competition rules. I have never understood why this does not apply to West Ham as it is very clear that they are being subsidized by taxpayers.

Castia

When I saw the report last year of how little West Ham are paying for this stadium I was amazed, it’s about time something was done it’s a joke.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"There's no magic money tree..."

prateik

The stadium capacity is 30,000 more than their old stadium.. At £40 a ticket, they'll make up 2.5m in 2 home matches..

That deal was a joke from the beginning.

Government owner and government interests. It's no surprise the deals keep falling through.

AndyJ1985

That's disgraceful. How dare they spend the tax payers money on a fecking stadium. cnuts

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
No wonder West Ham can spend nearly £100 million in transfer fees so far and hand out a few big contracts, they landed one hell of a bargain with the stadium.

Robert

How many fecking millions for West Ham?

And how many families still lacking following Grenfell?

Reactions: SteveJ

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I live in Vegas and the Raiders got $700 million for their new stadium, always thought it was the norm everywhere.
Yeah that's easy to assume for those of us here but it seems in the rest of the world they actually assume the sports teams finance the dealio. Shocking concept I know. Taxpayers here just paid about 325 million for the new Detroit Red Wings arena. But hey it cost a mere 870 million or so total so I guess us taxpayers got off cheap. :houllier:

Tom Foster

West Ham have been around ever since I started watching football in 1959 and I can never get rid of them, despite the fact that they never seem to do anything other than BE THERE.
Never understood the media love-in with them, either.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why aren't West Ham having to pay for that themselves when they're spunking £40 million on players willy nilly.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Yeah that's easy to assume for those of us here but it seems in the rest of the world they actually assume the sports teams finance the dealio. Shocking concept I know. Taxpayers here just paid about 325 million for the new Detroit Red Wings arena. But hey it cost a mere 870 million or so total so I guess us taxpayers got off cheap. :houllier:
I've read a little bit about the stadium situation in US. Billionaire owners pressuring cities to fork out taxpayer money to replace stadiums which don't need replacing or they threaten to move the "franchise" to another city.

It's ridiculous.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I've read a little bit about the stadium situation in US. Billionaire owners pressuring cities to fork out taxpayer money to replace stadiums which don't need replacing or they threaten to move the "franchise" to another city.

It's ridiculous.
That's basically exactly what they do - or even if you know there is no way in their right mind they d leave (don't think the Detroit NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL teams made threats like that in any recent times for instance) - then they say they require an incentive to further invest in the city because hey its good for everyone right? Public opinion is sometimes easily swayed by fancy new arenas and stadiums for instance if you say you re also bringing in lodging and entertainment options with it, improving the neighborhood, etc. Often times the plans are so grand that everyone gets starry eyed but in the end you re lucky if anything other than the stadium itself gets built. Mind you - I don't believe that investing in facilities like that can't do good things in the long run for a city or neighborhood but at what cost is it still worth it? Plenty of studies out there that show sports facilities for pro teams have very little net positive impact when you factor in cost to build, the thousands of jobs that it creates during construction but are then gone again and so forth.

Anyway rant over. We do have a beautiful and probably one of the world's best arenas in the D now so I'm a little proud as well. A team as successful as the Red Wings didn't deserve to play in what was probably the oldest NHL arena left before the move. And hey even the Pistons moved back into downtown as a result of it (though to your point-they played in an arena that was probably still one of the nicer ones in the NBA and they pumped millions upon millions in renovations.. Literally the year before moving out, and now it's getting torn down..
.Wtf right) .

Anyway done ranting and rambling. West Ham sucks.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The London Stadium has been a shower since it's inception. The original plan was to turn it in to a 25k Athletics stadium after the Olympics. Problem is almost no athletics events get crowds anywhere near that. Also it didn't have a roof so using for concerts etc wouldn't work either.

The cost of it was originally planned at £250m, it actually cost £429m, the another £323m to convert it to multi use with a roof. It's an awful football stadium as well. Only about 10k seats near the pitch and the rest what seams like miles away.

When the Olympics was planned it should have been built primarily as a football stadium that would temporarily be used for athletics. As soon as the original decision was made to build it primarily for Athletics there was no way it could be easily used for anything else. Not Boris's fault.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The London Stadium has been a shower since it's inception. The original plan was to turn it in to a 25k Athletics stadium after the Olympics. Problem is almost no athletics events get crowds anywhere near that. Also it didn't have a roof so using for concerts etc wouldn't work either.

The cost of it was originally planned at £250m, it actually cost £429m, the another £323m to convert it to multi use with a roof. It's an awful football stadium as well. Only about 10k seats near the pitch and the rest what seams like miles away.

When the Olympics was planned it should have been built primarily as a football stadium that would temporarily be used for athletics. As soon as the original decision was made to build it primarily for Athletics there was no way it could be easily used for anything else. Not Boris's fault.
...didn't he mount the bid for the Olympics?