West Ham v Manchester Red

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I agree but it wasn't going to happen today.
Allardyce sent West Ham out there in a frame of mind where they knew their jobs and were more than passably bothered. Objectively i don't begrudge them the point, United have been just so flat and it's a trend which people find annoying, well that and perplexing subs/tactics.

We were the hare and now we're the tortoise with a broken leg. :smirk:

binary bot
Who is this interviewer? He's trying his best to grab a headline :lol:

Shark

@NotShark
SAF: "The team showed they are champions elect tonight."

:lol:
He's right.

How many times have City come back from behind twice this season? it's the grit we've shown all season, even if we haven't been at our best.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
before this game we needed 7 points from the next three games. well we got one of them tonight.

and two wins from the next two games is well within our reach.
I just wish they would get this over and done with so kids like Powell get a chance to play before the end of the seasons, or they won't get their chance. Vidic was immense tonight and DeGea is showing real guts.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I just wish they would get this over and done with so kids like Powell get a chance to play before the end of the seasons, or they won't get their chance. Vidic was immense tonight and DeGea is showing real guts.
I loved when he stared the other West Ham player in the eye after the "choking", hard as nails so he is.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Of course it is. I'm not angry at the points difference, I'm angry at how shit our performances,tactics and player positions have been the past few weeks.
We didn't look all that great in 98/99 and 07/08, save a few glorious performances near the end of the season. And when we did look great in the early 2000s, though a bit leaky at the back, we relinquished our trophy to Arsenal and then Chelsea. So, while I'd love to see more flair in our game, I haven't really seen that much flair in our game while winning trophies since Cantona left us.

I'll take the trophy without too many complaints.

But if you're thinking about the Real, Chelsea and then City matches, let's go through them: 1) The Turkish ref fukked us of a game we were in control of, 2) Vidic and Rooney were out and RvP was still in his scoring drought (still sorta is, in my opinion) and 3) Vidic was out again.

Has there been a single game this season where Vidic, Rooney and RvP (in that order our three most important players, although a case could be made for De Gea being our MOST important and possible BEST player this season) been fully fit and in form? I seriously doubt it.

The serious question to ask, at least with respect to RvP and Rooney, is why?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Really strange post-match comments from Fergie. I hope he doesn't think that was a particularly impressive performance and that we need to address our squad issues in the summer but then again he's ignored our midfield for years now so I'm not too sure.

wr8_utd

:'(
Really strange post-match comments from Fergie. I hope he doesn't think that was a particularly impressive performance and that we need to address our squad issues in the summer but then again he's ignored our midfield for years now so I'm not too sure.
Even his comments post the Derby were pretty bizarre really. Anyway hopefully we see a bit of a reaction and beat Villa come Monday.

Sam

No, but I do have an eye for posters that only seem to log into the Caf to have a moan. You'd think we lost 3-0 by some of the posts on here.
Clearly not a very good eye, seeing as I'm on here most match days, win, lose or draw.

wr8_utd

Fergie really said this :

SAF: "I thought we played like champions, absolutely magnificent. We don't like losing, we showed that."

The grit and spirit was there but we were nt even close to "absolutely magnificent"

Devil may care

So sloppy at times it was unreal, I thought Rio was to blame for their first goal as he allowed Jarvis way too much room to get his cross in. The fight to at least get a point showed good spirit but we are just not clicking with any regularity in attack right now, there are brief spells but never much penetration or incision.

Sam

SAF: "I thought we played like champions, absolutely magnificent. We don't like losing, we showed that."

The grit and spirit was there but we were nt even close to "absolutely magnificent"
My God.

If he believes that, then his standards have seriously dropped.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
There's definitely room for nitpicking. This performance comes nowhere close to some of the performances we put in earlier this season. But these things do happen and we ground out the win away against a club which strangely come up with good results over the years, all the way back to the mid 1990s. Don't know why it happens to be West Ham, but they're a mini bogey club for United.

The first of their two goals was a bit of a farce, but they put in the effort and got a bit of luck. Their second goal was magic and you can't blame anyone for that. Two goals, for us, coming from a club which has gone cold in the scoring department of late isn't a bad day's shift at the office.

I really do recommend moving and NOT assuming we're going to drop all 6 points against Chelsea and Arsenal.

binary bot
Everyone would have a much different opinion on the performance if we hadn't been playing terrible for the last 5 or 6 games. We played good at times and their long ball stuff caused us problems - as it always does.

MUFCgal

We were far from magnificent.

We show determination and character, but that doesn't mean we were magnificent.

MJJ

Everyone would have a much different opinion on the performance if we hadn't been playing terrible for the last 5 or 6 games. We played good at times and their long ball stuff caused us problems - as it always does.
I dont understand this point, if we hadnt been playing terrible for the last 5 or 6 games then this performance would not be seen as norm. Its directly related.

binary bot
I dont understand this point, if we hadn't been playing terrible for the last 5 or 6 games then this performance would not be seen as norm. Its directly related.
West Ham away is typically a difficult game, and many trips to Upton Park over the last few years have seen similar performances - it's a fixture where we're usually happy to grind out a result and get the three points. For that reason the performance wasn't as bad as people are making out but the last number of matches are still firmly in peoples minds and therefore our play will be ridiculed to an extent that it wouldn't usually be.

MJJ

West Ham away is typically a difficult game, and many trips to Upton Park over the last few years have seen similar performances - it's a fixture where we're usually happy to grind out a result and get the three points. For that reason the performance wasn't as bad as people are making out but the last number of matches are still firmly in peoples minds and therefore our play will be ridiculed to an extent that it wouldn't usually be.
But its all linked though, you cant say that if it wasnt for the last five games this performance would be okay. Thats like me saying if we were at the bottom of the league, this performance would be great. The fact that annoys most of us is that performances like this are routinely becoming more and more common for this united side. The kagawa subsitution in particular is annoying me today about the match as I felt we could still win it at 2-1 down and he gets taken off while jones is still there.

I also dont understand why we are increasingly setting up to counter the opposition's strengths rather than playing to our own.

darko

SAF: "The team showed they are champions elect tonight."

:lol:
As much as SAF is thought as a tough manager, he is a praiser. I'm sure he knows exactly how the club is performing. At this point, he's looking to build confidence and not destroy it further.

darko

My God.

If he believes that, then his standards have seriously dropped.
His job is not as a TV Analyst or reporter. He's the manager. He doesn't have to give his honest thoughts to the media. His job is to win the EPL and if that means praising his players when they are not at their best to get the best out of them, then so be it. Perhaps at years end he'll be more forthcoming.

wr8_utd

Watching some of his reactions and disgusted looks during the match, I hardly think Fergie really thought we were "magnificent"

Cevno

After last season and us being in poor form over the last month or so, SAF probably doesn't want to lower morale further and risk panic stations setting in again.

He criticises a couple of perforamances, it puts pressure on the players builds into media narrative etc.... Even after the City game knowing 2 tough games were coming up away he brushed it aside as if nothing had happened.

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
But its all linked though, you cant say that if it wasnt for the last five games this performance would be okay. Thats like me saying if we were at the bottom of the league, this performance would be great. The fact that annoys most of us is that performances like this are routinely becoming more and more common for this united side. The kagawa subsitution in particular is annoying me today about the match as I felt we could still win it at 2-1 down and he gets taken off while jones is still there.
Two words: nail and head!

How many times this season have we been brilliant? Not many.

We don't seem capable of giving any side a thrashing, say a 6-0 result, even if we score really early in the game.

We should thank our lucky stars to be where we are with the points lead we have . . . so far!!! :nervous: