West Hams Academy

Don't know if anyone else has seen this, saw it on Twitter. Looks like Adam McKola from Full Time Devils got into a spat with West Ham fans over Declan Rice and their Academy, see the below exchange..

Thoughts? Do you agree with Adam :lol:

haram

Who have they churned out since the likes of Carrick and Rio?

Tarrou

Rice is rated, first and foremost, because he's performed fairly well after he stepped up to the first team

And any English player who steps up and looks half decent gets hyped up anyway

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It seems to be a minor disagreement between a youtuber and some WH fan account (?).

Also, United fans built Mctominay up as some Roy Keane incarnate between the fag end of last season and this summer. All fans overrate their players and moreso the young ones when they've got a tradition/recent history of producing good ones.

Classical Mechanic

Can't really think of many other players that came through the West Ham academy that were hyped? Joe Cole perhaps but he had a pretty good career by most standards.

Rice is 20 and seems to be a good player already, albeit in a limited role. He's no ball player but pretty good at breaking up opposition play and recycling. I don't see why people are writing him off already.

It's still going on, west ham fans think their academy is better than utds.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Happens from time to time. Reece Oxford got hyped up as well. I can see why he said that.

Classical Mechanic

Happens from time to time. Reece Oxford got hyped up as well. I can see why he said that.
Oxford got hyped up because he played well in some Premier League apps aged 16. It would happen whichever club he was at. I think it was a case of too much too soon for him because there have been rumblings about a difficult personality ever since and he seems to have been in dispute with West Ham for a number of seasons.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Oxford got hyped up because he played well in some Premier League apps aged 16. It would happen whichever club he was at. I think it was a case of too much too soon for him because there have been rumblings about a difficult personality ever since and he seems to have been in dispute with West Ham for a number of seasons.
Looks like that may be the case, but I do think the fact he played for West Ham did give him a bit more than the usual hype for a 16 year old getting a few games.

LInkash

It seems to be a minor disagreement between a youtuber and some WH fan account (?).

Also, United fans built Mctominay up as some Roy Keane incarnate between the fag end of last season and this summer. All fans overrate their players and moreso the young ones when they've got a tradition/recent history of producing good ones.
Most United didn't think that or there wouldn't have been so much moaning about out shit midfield and so much desperation to sign one.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Tbh every academy player is overrated by their club fans. That's how it is. It was stupid tweet, West Ham have produced some very good players. You can point out few failed players and say "every academy is over hyped".

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
West Ham are more known for being a retirement home than an academy club in recent times. We should be looking to ship all of our duds to them.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Tbh every academy player is overrated by their club fans. That's how it is. It was stupid tweet, West Ham have produced some very good players. You can point out few failed players and say "every academy is over hyped".
Maybe he doesn't like West Ham fans? Seems quite an aggressive stand to take, unless he is in fact just overrating McTominay himself there.

pascell

I think he said his original comment without adding context, if he had it would've been something much about nothing.

I do agree that Rio, Carrick, Lampard etc have created a difficuly standard to be met by academy players at West Ham. However, I think Rice is a good player with potential to grow into a really good player, I wanted United to sign him over the summer and still think he'd improve our midfield.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Carrick was 16 when he joined West Ham. Should he be considered a product of their academy? Personally I think 15 is the cut off.

Also, Declan Rice was at Chelsea from age 7 to 15.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Don't know if anyone else has seen this, saw it on Twitter. Looks like Adam McKola from Full Time Devils got into a spat with West Ham fans over Declan Rice and their Academy, see the below exchange..

Thoughts? Do you agree with Adam :lol:
I don’t agree with him. In fact I find McKola a bit of a tit

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Carrick was 16 when he joined West Ham. Should he be considered a product of their academy? Personally I think 15 is the cut off.

He's a Chelsea fan isn't he as are his family? Why did they let him go?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
All We need is Gary Neville to join and there will be gnashing of teeth.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The comment makes no sense because we overrate our youth players too.
Of course we do. How many reincarnations of the Class of '92 have we had? It seems every year we have produced the next best thing who then ends up in Division One.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

The general criteria is:

1. Joined the club at 17 or below
2. Actually played in the Academy
3. Never played first team football professionally elsewhere

Carrick qualifies as a West Ham Academy product.

This criteria is consistent with youth graduates from past decades.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He'll make comments like that and then he'll make youtube videos saying that we need to be playing Gomes, Garner, Greenwood, Chong etc in the first team as they're world class.

One of the best things in football is to see 'one of your own' succeed at your club. So every club bigs up their academy products in the hope that they'll break into the first team

duffer

Scout
The general criteria is:

1. Joined the club at 17 or below
2. Actually played in the Academy
3. Never played first team football professionally elsewhere

Carrick qualifies as a West Ham Academy product.

This criteria is consistent with youth graduates from past decades.
17 seems a bit old really to claim as a 'product" but the other two qualifiers are spot on.

Enigma_87

You know who
Mctominay>rice

I'm not sure how McKola came to that conclusion. McT is good 2 years older than Rice and at the time he had 2 odd appearances at senior level whilst Rice most likely will play his 100 cap for West Ham this season.

Rice has the bigger potential, who will be better in the long run is very early to tell.

duffer

Scout
Out of curiosity do you still think that. Not sure Scott McTominay would have got anywhere near our side if he didn't have a growth spurt and that made Jose notice him.
He's not shit of course but would he get in our side? I doubt it. We've got Ethan Ampadu who I rate much higher and he can't get a sniff.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
17 seems a bit old really to claim as a 'product" but the other two qualifiers are spot on.
The rational is really because quite a few 'late developers' have joined clubs and have clearly been 'developed' by the coaching staff and the Academy environment. Some 17 year-olds are ready for first team football...others still need a few seasons.

In addition, it is the cut off for the FA Youth Cup which applies to players who are 17 or under by 1st of September each year and therefore qualify for the tournament. So it has been added in as it would seem strange that you can play in the FA Youth Cup as a youth player for that club...would wouldn't be regarded as a youth product.

That's the rationale anyway.

duffer

Scout
The rational is really because quite a few 'late developers' have joined clubs and have clearly been 'developed' by the coaching staff and the Academy environment. Some 17 year-olds are ready for first team football...others still need a few seasons.

In addition, it is the cut off for the FA Youth Cup which applies to players who are 17 or under by 1st of September each year and therefore qualify for the tournament. So it has been added in as it would seem strange that you can play in the FA Youth Cup as a youth player for that club...would wouldn't be regarded as a youth product.

That's the rationale anyway.
I get all that but I still would not consider someone like Fabregas a product of Arsenal's academy. He meets all the criteria (signed at 16, didn't play for Barca, had appearances for the Arsenal youth side before making his debut) but I always think of him as a Barca product who Arsenal poached.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
West Ham hit gold with Cole, Lampard, Defoe, Ferdinand, Carrick all coming through at a fairly similar time.

Let's be honest though who else have they had since then? They act like it's a regular conveyor belt of talent filling the premier league from top to bottom :lol:

I get all that but I still would not consider someone like Fabregas a product of Arsenal's academy. He meets all the criteria (signed at 16, didn't play for Barca, had appearances for the Arsenal youth side before making his debut) but I always think of him as a Barca product who Arsenal poached.
It's the same with Rooney imo we developed him but he came through Everton academy.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He'll make comments like that and then he'll make youtube videos saying that we need to be playing Gomes, Garner, Greenwood, Chong etc in the first team as they're world class.

One of the best things in football is to see 'one of your own' succeed at your club. So every club bigs up their academy products in the hope that they'll break into the first team
Very true. That said, our academy is great at producing Premier League level players, even if the vast majority of them aren't good enough to play for United's first team.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Rice is a better player than our own McTominay and Pereira. Stupid tweet. West Ham have a good academy that hasn't produced the same talent as the 1990s, like our own.

luke511

The narrative is "Anything that comes out of West Ham's academy is.. massively overrated", in recent years who's been overrated from their academy apart from Rice and maybe Reece Oxford for about a week after his debut? We're paying Lingard over £100k a week because he's an academy product and a charismatic character, very rich for a utd fan to talk about overrated academy products.