Television Westworld | SPOILERS

ZAGREB RED

Looks very promising so far, much darker than the film by the looks of it.

Maccaa

So I've just finished the first episode and it looks promising. I'm slightly confused too as what it's even about though. Can anyone help me out? Is it just a world full of robots where ordinary people pay to go and do what they want?

Nickosaur

So I've just finished the first episode and it looks promising. I'm slightly confused too as what it's even about though. Can anyone help me out? Is it just a world full of robots where ordinary people pay to go and do what they want?
It's a theme park. Like Jurassic Park. But much safer. The rides (robots) can't hurt you. You pay a shit ton of money to go and play cowboys.

But obviously, something will go wrong, a la Jurassic Park...

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
It's a theme park. Like Jurassic Park. But much safer. The rides (robots) can't hurt you. You pay a shit ton of money to go and play cowboys.

But obviously, something will go wrong, a la Jurassic Park...
This.

As indicated by the last shot of the pilot

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Have a feeling the android's intelligence isn't entirely artificial....

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Big hint in the last scene where the female android kills a fly on her neck, they specifically stated that the androids shouldn't even be able to swat a fly for security reasons earlier in the ep

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Interesting start, got a phone call about 3/4's of the way through though so had to pause it for a while which broke the immersion a wee bit.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Hope they don't go down the route of suggesting that the robots have been implanted with human brains. To me the issue seems to be that robots' AI should not retain any knowledge from the previous script/sequence they have already played out. But seemingly, their AI is continuously being affected by each ordeal they go through.

The fly scene was interesting because we saw one robot (the sheriff) become so distressed with one fly that he completely malfunctioned. So since the AI has been improved to such an extent that the robots can feel the itch of the fly, almost as well as the humans, their inability to actually do anything about it seems to be in direct conflict to 'Do not harm living things' rule.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Hope they don't go down the route of suggesting that the robots have been implanted with human brains. To me the issue seems to be that robots' AI should not retain any knowledge from the previous script/sequence they have already played out. But seemingly, their AI is continuously being affected by each ordeal they go through.

The fly scene was interesting because we saw one robot (the sheriff) become so distressed with one fly that he completely malfunctioned. So since the AI has been improved to such an extent that the robots can feel the itch of the fly, almost as well as the humans, their inability to actually do anything about it seems to be in direct conflict to 'Do not harm living things' rule.
I need to watch it again because I totally didn't register thats what happened to the Sheriff. I just thought he randomly malfunctioned.

Zen

Not sold. And I generally love HBO pilots, in fact can't think of a single great HBO, or any show, for that matter any great show, where I wasn't somewhat sold on the pilot.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not sold. And I generally love HBO pilots, in fact can't think of a single great HBO, or any show, for that matter any great show, where I wasn't somewhat sold on the pilot.
Aye, something was missing for me.

No genuine character development at all apart from the main blonde girl and the actual humans. It's hard to get proper character development from the robot/AI when they're dying all of the time. I'm assuming this will change when the robot/AI start going rogue (which will obviously happen).

Nickosaur

Aye, something was missing for me.

No genuine character development at all apart from the main blonde girl and the actual humans. It's hard to get proper character development from the robot/AI when they're dying all of the time. I'm assuming this will change when the robot/AI start going rogue (which will obviously happen).
Apart from Teddy's 'false' introduction, we haven't really been given any development from the park visitors. In the pilot we mainly spend time with the scientists and the scriptwriters and the directors, and the robots themselves.

I think when we get a proper POV from the newcomers it will feel more 'whole'. That said, I still loved the pilot.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Great pilot I thought. Took it a lot further than the film did, and I liked the way they switched up our expectations with Marsden & Harris. I also assumed he was going to be the Gunslinger, but there was a line of dialogue (along the lines of "we haven't had a glitch for 30 years") that implied this could actually be a Jurassic World style continuation, rather than a reboot.

Bit po-faced, but Jonathan Nolan stuff is usually like that. Interested in whether this version is just Westworld,
or whether the other worlds will come in to play.

Clearly inspired (to the point of theft) by the Itchy and Scratchy Land.
Notsureifserious.gif

Last edited:

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

* There are actually 2 Simpsons episodes that are Westworld parodies, fwiw.

Last edited:

Cina

Great pilot I thought. Took it a lot further than the film did, and I liked the way they switched up our expectations with Marsden & Harris. I also assumed he was going to be the Gunslinger, but there was a line of dialogue (along the lines of "we haven't had a glitch for 30 years") that implied this could actually be a Jurassic World style continuation, rather than a reboot.

Bit po-faced, but Jonathan Nolan stuff is usually like that. Interested in whether this version is just Westworld,

or whether the other worlds will come in to play.

Notsureifserious.gif
oi you cockney brummer, some of us haven't seen the film! Spoilered that for you.

DarkXaero

Apart from Teddy's 'false' introduction, we haven't really been given any development from the park visitors. In the pilot we mainly spend time with the scientists and the scriptwriters and the directors, and the robots themselves.

I think when we get a proper POV from the newcomers it will feel more 'whole'. That said, I still loved the pilot.
Yea I think the second episode is supposed to be from the Park guests PoV.

Member 39557

I like it. I liked the fun musical twists on black hole sun and fade to black too!

vanthaman

Winner
Really liked it, and as others have said loved the way they did the music with black hole sun and paint it black

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Personally my expectations were too high so i cant be completely satisfied with the pilot. 7/10 on first view. (gonna watch again before the second)

The music was good but not a homerun like with Stranger Things. Not really enjoying the use of modern culture music in western style.

the twist with the "gunslinger" was nice though.

edit: saw it again and now its 9/10.

Last edited:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Any of you watching Westworld the original movie and tell me Brolin isn't christian Bales Dad.

vanthaman

Winner
Gonna give the film a go soon probably as it's on Amazon prime, just hope it doesn't potentially spoil anything

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I'm not sure whether to chuckle at the comparison or swear at you for posting your own tweet.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Hmmm, so:
Delores is remembering when she isn't supposed to?
The man in black was there for the first malfunction
He is also not the bad guy? Maybe he didn't rape in the barn? Maybe he is why Delores remembers?
The lady boss person is also a robot?