Television Westworld | SPOILERS

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Hmmm, so:
Delores is remembering when she isn't supposed to?
The man in black was there for the first malfunction
He is also not the bad guy? Maybe he didn't rape in the barn? Maybe he is why Delores remembers?
The lady boss person is also a robot?
:lol:

I just think it's her questionable acting. Not really her acting, just her pseudo American accent (actress is Swedish)

And yeah, Ed Harris' character has me scratching me head. Aren't all the androids accounted for after each visit from the "newcomers"? Why didn't the account for the poker dealer that he scalped? Why didn't alarm bells ring when he first killed Teddy and dragged Dolores off to the barn?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

I just think it's her questionable acting. Not really her acting, just her pseudo American accent (actress is Swedish)

And yeah, Ed Harris' character has me scratching me head. Aren't all the androids accounted for after each visit from the "newcomers"? Why didn't the account for the poker dealer that he scalped? Why didn't alarm bells ring when he first killed Teddy and dragged Dolores off to the barn?
She has some very robotic movements too, I'm going to watch the first episode again. This could be a brilliant series.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
She has some very robotic movements too, I'm going to watch the first episode again. This could be a brilliant series.
Yup, the more I think about it, the more I want to watch the first ep again. T'was outstanding.

I was a little choked up when the shipped off the android dad to storage cos he was "malfunctioning". Poor guy was tearing up. :(

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yup, the more I think about it, the more I want to watch the first ep again. T'was outstanding.
Guessing you acquired this episode the same way I did... 28:30 in, watch the boss woman blink in a weird way, and then the way her head moves, very un natural imo. Might just be reading too much into it :lol: She is never in a room when a robot is "interviewed" either.. would those same commands shut her down?

Don't know how I missed this on my first watch... Dolores' final interview with that security guy, he tells her to switch off emotions, but his final question about what she thinks of this world, her emotions come back (smile) and her accent comes back a touch too...

Also, Dolores is fecking beautiful. I also quite fancy that scientist who kissed the robot hooker :drool:

Last edited:

Runner

Episode 2 is out on some of those awful torrent sites.I can't believe HBO GO could be so easily pirated. what a shame

Secondly, I'm hoping Anthony Hopkins drops the line: Did you notice a sign in my basement that said dead robot storage?

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Just finished the second episode, loving this so far. Ed Harris is awesome.

Will Absolute

Finished the first episode. They really nailed it, didn't they?

The show hits you over the head with its strongest idea straightaway. The misdirection in the male character's identity was so effective. And the juxtaposition of the young woman's degradation in the lab with the natural dignity of her character - how she looks and sounds. You can sense the powerful themes churning beneath the surface.

In the movie the story is told from the human point of view, and the idea is just a gimmick. But the switch in perspective makes all the difference. TV finds gold where the movie mined nothing but dross.

The show is asking some uncomfortable questions of its audience as well. Are we any better than the 'rich assholes' who pay to visit the theme park? Do we care about the indignities inflicted on those we pay to slake or thirst for fun, vicarious sex and screen violence? Is there so much difference?

Dan

Started watching episode 2 and by god they've spent some money on this.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Episode 2 :drool: This is going to be epic as long as they don't try to get too cocky/clever and drag it on too long.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Episode 2 was sensational.

Thandie Newton. :drool:
:drool: indeed, but the first host was also :drool: too... too much wank material in this ffs.

Just what is Bernard upto? Something's going on with him.

Glad the British story guy got shot down by Hopkins, also can't wait to see what Hopkins has in store for us.

The Man in Black is epic! What he said after the shootout just confirms the barn theory imo.

Runner

Man in Black is gonna kill Anthony Hopkins, calling that now.

Norris

Just watched the first episode and I found it to be pretty average. Hope it gets better.

rio's upper lip

I need someone to hold my hand through this show. I'm fascinated by it, definitely, but I don't understand what's going on half the fecking time. Hopefully some good analysis vids like with GoT will start to surface after a few more episodes.

kps88

She's distractingly bad. Robotic acting looks ten times worse when the show is filled with robots.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I re-watched the movie last night in preparation of watching the TV show.

A cracking film that still holds up over 40 years later. I just hope the series lives up to the hype.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Second ep was v.good, but structured a bit weirdly. Seemed like two episodes stitched together, really. The one about Jimmi Simpson just sort of ended half way through and another one about Thandie Newton took over.

The ending was intriguing though. Is it too far fetched to imagine that...

...the whole robot revolt is actually instigated by Hopkins as part of this new, original narrative?

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I wanted to love it, but I just can't.

For the newcomers this season Quarry is the better show imo.

Classical Mechanic

As a manual labourer, you're probably not interested in ideas.

(I thought you had an 's')
I'm not really a mechanic or a manual labourer!

The 'ideas' in this program are hardly new. I think they are good enough to carry a show but ultimately you need to be able to invest in the characters and I can't say that any of them resonate with me or interest me, as of yet.

DarkXaero

I wanted to love it, but I just can't.

For the newcomers this season Quarry is the better show imo.
I like Quarry a lot, but I disagree, I think Westworld is off to a strong start. Quarry's last two episodes have halted the momentum of the season so far. Not that it wasn't already slow paced but the last two episodes went in a different direction than expected. Westworld doesn't have the pacing issues (at least so far) but I think it'll have trouble handling such a large cast of characters in the narrative. It's going to be like GoT in that sense where certain main characters are neglected so they can focus on other storylines/characters. And that's something I didn't like in GoT so I'm hoping that it won't become a major issue here.

DarkXaero

Second ep was v.good, but structured a bit weirdly. Seemed like two episodes stitched together, really. The one about Jimmi Simpson just sort of ended half way through and another one about Thandie Newton took over.

...the whole robot revolt is actually instigated by Hopkins as part of this new, original narrative?
Yea, I agree, the episode was trying to do multiple things at once. I didn't mind it too much though, it was intriguing throughout. And your theory might very well be true.

Will Absolute

I'm not really a mechanic or a manual labourer!

The 'ideas' in this program are hardly new. I think they are good enough to carry a show but ultimately you need to be able to invest in the characters and I can't say that any of them resonate with me or interest me, as of yet.
I never thought you were. But didn't you used to be Classical Mechanics, which I thought hinted at some background in Physics.

The ideas in Westworld are certainly not new (there's nothing new under the sun), but by seducing the audience into identifying with the automata, the show has set itself to explore these old notions in a very powerful way.

I don't think Westworld is primarily interested in rehashing the old question of: 'What it means to be human.' Lots of movies and TV shows have dealt with that, notably Star Trek in the character of Data. But the treatment was mostly too demure to be effective. Westworld doesn't suffer from coyness. It waves a bloody scalp in your face and asks: 'What do you think of that?' Or it paints a sympathetic picture of a 'young woman', who's not really a young woman at all, or may not be, and then shows her being brutalized.

The 'demonic' human exploitation of other people, and other living things, is a more interesting theme. We're 'devils' to Dolores father, and that seems a fair judgement. Surely one that would be shared by the livestock in our fields, if they had voices to speak.

Whether the show succeeds in doing justice to its ideas is a big question. But I'm going to be watching for a few weeks anyway.

Untied

Have you seen the theory that…

Simpson's story is actually a flashback sequence, and perhaps an origin story for Harris' character. I'll have to watch it again to see if that could fit with what we actually see but we've already seen the show play with that kind of misdirection (Teddy's introduction)

Cina

On a slightly nerdy tangent, anyone have any idea how bullets that blow chunks out of robots but can't harm real people are supposed to work?
I assume it's just whatever the robots are made out of, that milky shit, is vulnerable to whatever the bullets are made out of whereas human skin isn't.

I guess we're supposed to suspend a certain amount of disbelief.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I assume it's just whatever the robots are made out of, that milky shit, is vulnerable to whatever the bullets are made out of whereas human skin isn't.

I guess we're supposed to suspend a certain amount of disbelief.
Yeah, it's not anything that is spoiling my enjoyment. I'm just curious. Especially with that gun being found in the final scene.

I'm just curious whether swapping bullets could be enough to make guns kill real people or whether the "flaw" is in the guns themselves. Also, can guests shoot each other? Or are their guns only lethal to the androids?

Oh and knives. That old bloke getting stabbed in the hand was horrible. What would have happened if he wasn't an android?