g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

WEuros 2022 | England v Germany - it c*me h*me

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
That substitute came close a couple of times in extra time, god knows why she wasn’t in the side anyway she looked unbelievable in that short spell.
Yes she improved them.

England definitely have a bit of work to do defensively, especially on the left. Daly is a better footballer than Greenwood IMO, but Greenwood should probably take that place to shore it up a bit at the back. I am not sure I would drop White though, despite Russo playing really well again.

Grande

That was a fun game to watch. Spain stepped it up for this one, and once again the subs for England turned it around.
Partcularily two of them! Alessia Russo/Ella Toone - Spain 2-0!

It's coming home. But only if Sarina takes the cup with her.
Haha. I loved to watch The Netherlands playing under her spell. It should almost be illegal to steal a classic NT coach from her native country.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
If that’s a foul then it’s officially a non contact sport.

And again, England should have had a penalty.
If 2 players are supposed to contest the ball in the air and one stops the other from jumping, how's that not a foul?

And no England never had a real penalty claim.

Spain were much better in the first half, but not after that IMO. I felt like England wrestled control of the match and put a lot of pressure on leading up to the equaliser. It was not a foul by Russo, fairly clearly. And after that goal, England always looked the more likely winners. For all Spain's attractive approach play I didn't see lots of chances. The closest they came apart from the goal was an attempted cross.
What game did you watch? England never had a serious goal occasion until they equalized and they didn't after that, the 2nd goal came from a great shot and horrible goalkeeping. Spain's defence kept them quiet all game.
Basically every stat in the game indicates that Spain was the better team.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Good match that. First half England looked poor, or rather, Spain looked really good and England looked helpless to respond. I had hoped for a couple of subs at HT but had to wait for that. After Spain scored the match changed - became a proper contest. The subs worked, but it also looked like England needed the shock of the goal to get them revved up.

I wanted Toone and Russo on the pitch and they did make their presence felt. Would I start them next match? I don't know why Wiegman doesn't start them, so I don't know if anything has changed - does she think Alessia plays better against tired defenders? I'd start them, but then I am a bit biased :wenger:

The crowd were in good form tonight. The organisers have this thing about building up a party atmosphere before the game which makes it feel more like they're aiming for teen/pre-teen disco vibe than a football match. Once the match was underway though it turned into a football crowd - an enthusiastically dedicated one :lol:

MUW4Eva

As I said before the game, Spain stood no chance of beating England, and that is exactly what happened!

England scored when it mattered most, and as per usual Spain were toothless up front.
That is the issue for Spain without Putellas, you can play all of the pretty passes, but if you have naff all up top, it is entirely irrelevant.

England deservedly went through, and now we get sn extra 48 rest over Sweden.
Hopefully that helps to get to the final as Sweden will be no pushovers.

The only downside is that Sarina just has this soft spot for the has been/over the hill/useless White, up front.
What more does Russo have to do to start, White is just a waste of space, we practically start with ten players, and no striker when we start with her.

Tooney also needs to start against Sweden, she helps Russo play to her best, and vice-versa.

Sadly though, since Sarina is a natural born conservative/coward, she will most likely stick once again to the failed starting eleven for some unfathomable reasons.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Tonight's QF - Germany v Austria. Germany there as the team with the most women's Euros titles, as one of the top seeds, and as a team that hit the ground running.

Austria there as underdogs but as underdogs who made England work hard for a 1-0 win and who beat Norway to get here. Solid defensively. They could make this into a serious match - but Germany have to be massive favourites for this one.

Match is live on BBC1

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Germany leading 1-0 at HT, but Austria playing well. A couple of great chances for Austria that they didn't finish. Germany getting stronger as the half went on. Not over yet, but Austria won't get many chances now and I expect Germany will.

Lyricist

Austria was incredibly aggressive in that first half and the ref let play run a lot. Germany seemed overwhelmed by it until the sudden goal. Austria will need to create goal scoring chances now though aside of just dominating the physical duels.

Lyricist

What's wrong with that ref? German player Gwinn would've been clear through on goal after a great build up but gets tripped by a defender but once again no call.

Lyricist

How Austria haven't scored in this game is a mystery
To be fair, their two hits on the post came after corners and the strike that hit the bar was from like 45-50 yards out. There haven't been many clear goal scoring opportunities for Austria from open play. But they deserve a goal for sure for their general play.

Lyricist

Should not germany make subs? The game is not going according to their plan?
I think in theory Germany have created 3 clear goal scoring opportunities in the second half already.
- Gwinn hitting the post after that run from Bühl
- Gwinn would've been clear through on goal when the ref somehow didn't call the foul
- another time where Bühl played the cutback and just the tap in was missing

Austria has won the mental game so far in this game though I would say. They've been physically dominant aside of against Bühl and maybe Oberdorf.

RedDevilQuebecois

Just tuned in. I was expecting a bloodbath by now, but it's a lot tighter than I ever expected.

Tbh not looking like Austria will get something from this game even if they'll win a penalty.

Not their day, despite quite decent performance.
I was thinking the same when France played Iceland on Matchday 3, but we all know that a sucker punch or a goal coming out of nowhere is always possible. After that, it's a flip of a coin if it's dragged all the way to penalties.

Lightbringer

A shame Dzsenifer Marozsán got that knee injury for Germany, she is fun to watch! Would Melanie Leupolz have started for Germany if not pregnant btw?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Just tuned in. I was expecting a bloodbath by now, but it's a lot tighter than I ever expected.

I was thinking the same when France played Iceland on Matchday 3, but we all know that a sucker punch is always possible. After that, it's a flip of a coin if it's dragged all the way to penalties.
I'm all for the jinx and proving me wrong on this. Austria is just depleted of any luck so far.

Lyricist

Bühl has been the best player on the pitch by a mile. Would've been some goal, no one stopping that.

RedDevilQuebecois

Well, the Austrians are not the only ones with a rotten luck here. The Germans just hit a crossbar as well.