WEuros 2022 | England v Germany - it c*me h*me

spottieottiedopaliscious

Today, Europe. Tomorrow, the world! Watch out yanks :keano:
Not a chance! We have to make it 3 in a row.

Congrats to the England women. I thought it was a good watch as a neutral. First goal was amazing great build up followed with an amazing finish. Great use of subs by your coach. Really hope we can get a US v England World Cup final or at the very least a late round match up.

muller

Tournament started with a White dive that got rewarded a penalty and ended with a robbery of a penalty and a red card in the finals. Kind of symbolic! VAR failed both times, and the home team benefited, nothing odd with questioning it.
what.

Grande

Tournament started with a White dive that got rewarded a penalty and ended with a robbery of a penalty and a red card in the finals. Kind of symbolic! VAR failed both times, and the home team benefited, nothing odd with questioning it.
As I said earlier, as a neutral, England are deserved champions although I thought Germany played the better football in the final. But the incidents you’re claiming … I can’t even understand which incidents you are referring to?

Grande

Is that the name of the ref? still joking
Ah, at least you are joking. You are German, right? I was really impressed with the movement of the German team, Voss-Tecklenburg really has done a very good job with what I must assume is one of the least star-studded teams Germany have fielded in a Championship?

I know it’s England who won, regardless of club colours, but I can’t help feeling a bit of pride in the three United girls who played quite decisive roles in the championship, in spite of two of them never even starting a game: Mary Earps, Ella Toone and Alessia Russo! Russo with four goals in five sub appearances, Toone with the first goal in bothe the two hardest matches (Spain and Germany), and Earps as my WOTM in the final.

TheReligion

Abusive
Strange seeing lots of posters criticise Anyomi the German number 14. I thought she was good when she came on and caused plenty of problems.

Redfan94

Someone talk to me about the proposal of equal pay in the women’s game.

I’m seeing lots of stereotypical ‘Get back in the kitchen’ types on Twitter spewing out that it’s down to sponsorship, gate receipts and TV rights, which makes sense, but coming from accounts making jokes about sandwiches leads me to believe that’s not the full truth.

I’ve enjoyed this Euros, but to me, even watching the better teams, the standard still seems poor, but is that just me comparing it to the unrealistic standard of the men’s game which is obviously well established and better funded?

Reactions: Cheimoon

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Well, that was an occasion :lol:

Just arrived back at the hotel - match, food, drink all consumed.

Match - could easily have gone either way. Really tense match to watch - loved the rollercoaster of it. I was shocked by just how committed an England fan I was by the end of the match same how automatic the celebrations were - I really thought only United could do that to me.

Obviously now in the cold light of too much to eat and drink and an obvious need to sober up and calm down enough to sleep, my thoughts are becoming more coherent.

In particular - congrats to Mary Earps, Ella Toone and Alessia Russo. Finally an international tournament in which no United player ended up as a scapegoat. Great work - let's hope the club realises just how valuable they can be.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You can take the girls out of Manchester, you can't take the Manchester out of the girls :lol:
Someone should photoshop ‘it’s coming home’ onto that sheet of paper.

Trequarista10

I’m seeing lots of stereotypical ‘Get back in the kitchen’ types on Twitter spewing out that it’s down to sponsorship, gate receipts and TV rights, which makes sense, but coming from accounts making jokes about sandwiches leads me to believe that’s not the full truth.

I’ve enjoyed this Euros, but to me, even watching the better teams, the standard still seems poor, but is that just me comparing it to the unrealistic standard of the men’s game which is obviously well established and better funded?
It's down to sponsorship, gate receipts, viewing figures/TV rights and merch sales. Can't forget the merch. Not much more to it.

I suspect (unresearched) that United have lost money to date creating a women's team, but the promotion of the team and the women's game more generally by other teams and media I would expect it to be profit making soon, and the income it generates will continue to increase and this will result in high wages. The standard will also continue to increase with increased participation and investment. I think the success of the Euros shows theirs an appetite for it and potential fan base that is largely untapped. Clubs need to think of ways of getting those fans to the stadiums to watch WSL games regularly, or to tune in to WSL games shown on TV. It's business at the end of the day, businesses need to find a way to extract money from its customers. The comparative wage of male players is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

Not sure what the equal pay proposal is but I do not think realistically anyone expects female footballers to make as much as the male ones. Heck there is a huge gap between what male footballers at different levels make & no one has an issue with that. What would be nice though is some semblance of moving towards a better balance. I know this is from 2 years back but it will shock you how much the players at the big clubs make . Manchester United annual wage bill was 785k for the squad of 20 odd players. That’s what Ronaldo makes in 2 weeks . I would hope that at least the FA would pay the female footballers the same as the male ones for international as it’s not like the male ones need money from the FA . I agree that the quality isn’t great but it’s getting better and it will only improve as more girls are able to look at it as a career

Grande

Well, that was an occasion :lol:

Just arrived back at the hotel - match, food, drink all consumed.

Match - could easily have gone either way. Really tense match to watch - loved the rollercoaster of it. I was shocked by just how committed an England fan I was by the end of the match same how automatic the celebrations were - I really thought only United could do that to me.

Obviously now in the cold light of too much to eat and drink and an obvious need to sober up and calm down enough to sleep, my thoughts are becoming more coherent.

In particular - congrats to Mary Earps, Ella Toone and Alessia Russo. Finally an international tournament in which no United player ended up as a scapegoat. Great work - let's hope the club realises just how valuable they can be.
No wonder - I was clenching fists towards the end, and I’m a Noggie, who happen to think Germany even played the best game. But England won fair and square. They scored two chances, one from smartness and elegance from Walsh and Toone, and one from grit and determination from Bronze and Kelly. Regardless of clubs. And Mary Earps was brilliant in goal, and having the best player on the pitch is not normally considered cheating, rather it’s part of a winning formula.

It’s a bit of a fairytale that England, after losing on pens the first official European Championship (to Sweden, in 1984), they beat 8x champions Germany to take it home (admittedly a very short distance from Wembley) for the first time - regardless of gender!

Seems England can only win finals if they are against Germany …

So happy for Mary, Alessia and Ella, though. United and England heroes.

Lightbringer

@Grande @dbs235 @Yagami @CallyRed @Random Task

I would like to apologize to the english fans on this board for the snarky comment I made on VAR, England and the non-called penalty in the 1st half after the final whistle.

Pissing on your victory that you all longed for so long in that way was really disrespectful and uncalled for, my apologies.

England did play some of the best football through the course of the tournament and was as deserving to win the title as Germany, and VAR fecking up completely once again has nothing to do with the english lasses or the fans on this board, or the great reds Toone, Russo and Earps who all contributed greatly to bringing the title home.

I just hate when you play a whole tournament and then it partially comes down to a single shitty decision massively deciding the outcome and the ultra time-wasting on top of that just got on my nerves real bad.

Lets hope englands victory can spur on the interest for the Womens Super League now and that the Glazers and the top brass realize United need to get on the train to the top and invest as the womens game will only grow further!

Sorry again for being an asshat, england showed alot of heart and resilience grinding out the final win, thats the kind of effort I tip my hat off to normally!

Germany can be proud of their tournament and final, and finally, congratulations lionesses once again!

stw2022

I don’t enjoy women’s football but I don’t care people do. I’m not a rugby fan but I don’t get angry at people who like rugby.

What I don’t like is seeing social media full of ‘better than the men’s’ comments. If the thing you love best about your sport is that it affords you the opportunity to lash out at something else I’m going to question how much you really enjoy it in the first place.

Comparisons to the men’s game do women’s football no favourites whatsoever and it should be allowed to be and to thrive as its own thing. It also needs to belong to those who love it too as they don’t deserve to have their sport hijacked by people whose only interest is voicing dislike of the men’s game.

Grande

I would like to apologize to the english fans on this board for the snarky comment I made on VAR, England and the non-called penalty in the 1st half after the final whistle.

Pissing on your victory that you all longed for so long in that way was really disrespectful and uncalled for, my apologies.

England did play some of the best football through the course of the tournament and was as deserving to win the title as Germany, and VAR fecking up completely once again has nothing to do with the english lasses or the fans on this board, or the great reds Toone, Russo and Earps who all contributed greatly to bringing the title home.

I just hate when you play a whole tournament and then it partially comes down to a single shitty decision massively deciding the outcome and the ultra time-wasting on top of that just got on my nerves real bad.

Lets hope englands victory can spur on the interest for the Womens Super League now and that the Glazers and the top brass realize United need to get on the train to the top and invest as the womens game will only grow further!

Sorry again for being an asshat, england showed alot of heart and resilience grinding out the final win, thats the kind of effort I tip my hat off to normally!

Germany can be proud of their tournament and final, and finally, congratulations lionesses once again!
Don’t worry, we’ve all been there!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I don’t enjoy women’s football but I don’t care people do. I’m not a rugby fan but I don’t get angry at people who like rugby.

What I don’t like is seeing social media full of ‘better than the men’s’ comments. If the thing you love best about your sport is that it affords you the opportunity to lash out at something else I’m going to question how much you really enjoy it in the first place.

Comparisons to the men’s game do women’s football no favourites whatsoever and it should be allowed to be and to thrive as its own thing. It also needs to belong to those who love it too as they don’t deserve to have their sport hijacked by people whose only interest is voicing dislike of the men’s game.
Come on, give it a day off. Just treat it like the rugby. Stupid comparisons will always get made, but there's no harm in people celebrating something that's rare.

It is rare too and it is a big deal, and not just for people who already watched the sport. In particular, it really can make a difference to lots of kids in terms of how they view sport and their own possibilities to play. If some go over the top, it's not a surprise - we've wanted it for a long time.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

don’t worry. football does strange things to us all. i’d imagine it was very tough watching the trophy slip from your grasp toward home.

the galling realisation that both the male and female sides are better than germany cannot be easy to take. i can only imagine sitting there and thinking “my god, they’re so much better than us and our farmer leagues. by god, i bet they even make better cars. i will vote for gerexit and hope they will allow us to cede full power and control over germany to the queen and we will be allowed to become part of that great sovereign nation and be ranked somewhere between scotland and wales with england far, far ahead.”

it takes a big person to come on here and admit that. fair play.

Lyricist

Big congrats to the English team and English football. Great performance all tournament long. It was a close game and a great winner by Kelly.

don’t worry. football does strange things to us all. i’d imagine it was very tough watching the trophy slip from your grasp toward home.

the galling realisation that both the male and female sides are better than germany cannot be easy to take. i can only imagine sitting there and thinking “my god, they’re so much better than us and our farmer leagues. by god, i bet they even make better cars. i will vote for gerexit and hope they will allow us to cede full power and control over germany to the queen and we will be allowed to become part of that great sovereign nation and be ranked somewhere between scotland and wales with england far, far ahead.”

it takes a big person to come on here and admit that. fair play.
There’s this and then there’s also the realization that they Wembley’d us again. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me (not that we had any chance to self-award us the penalty and hand out a card). England should host another tournament with Wembley as the location for the final as soon as possible please. Germany will look for some refs in the meantime that see things a bit differently.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

I thought your reaction was great. Why not get annoyed by VAR not doing a job they claim it can do. Football is supposed to wind you up as well as make you happy!

Grande

Big congrats to the English team and English football. Great performance all tournament long. It was a close game and a great winner by Kelly.

There’s this and then there’s also the realization that they Wembley’d us again. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me (not that we had any chance to self-award us the penalty and hand out a card). England should host another tournament with Wembley as the location for the final as soon as possible please. Germany will look for some refs in the meantime that see things a bit differently.
I’m not English, and I watched the whole final. I thought Germany played very good, but I can’t for the life of me understand what you thought was a penalty and a red card.

Lyricist

I’m not English, and I watched the whole final. I thought Germany played very good, but I can’t for the life of me understand what you thought was a penalty and a red card.

Don’t know if it’s really a red card, but it sure should’ve been a penalty. I’d say it’s unintentional and maybe only a yellow. I think it was Williamson, who elbowed the ball off the goal line after a German corner after 25 minutes. Ball is traveling goal wards and is certainly going in. It was a confusing situation but the decisive action was the ball being elbowed off the line to prevent a goal. VAR deemed it not worthy of interfering, and we’ve seen the shocking level of VAR in this tournament, even getting offside lines wrong by about a meter. Other refs who have since commented on the situation disagree and consider the VARs decision inexplicable.

That said, what’s done is done. England were great all tournament, so were Germany. In the end only one team can win. England won and I congratulate them for it. They had a great team performance and the fans supported them well all tournament. I hope the spirit of this victory at Wembley is uplifting for the entire country.

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

It's all good dude.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

Don’t know if it’s really a red card, but it sure should’ve been a penalty. I’d say it’s unintentional and maybe only a yellow. I think it was Williamson, who elbowed the ball off the goal line after a German corner after 25 minutes. Ball is traveling goal wards and is certainly going in. It was a confusing situation but the decisive action was the ball being elbowed off the line to prevent a goal. VAR deemed it not worthy of interfering, and we’ve seen the shocking level of VAR in this tournament, even getting offside lines wrong by about a meter. Other refs who have since commented on the situation disagree and consider the VARs decision inexplicable.

That said, what’s done is done. England were great all tournament, so were Germany. In the end only one team can win. England won and I congratulate them for it. They had a great team performance and the fans supported them well all tournament. I hope the spirit of this victory at Wembley is uplifting for the entire country.
Hits her shoulder and there's a player directly behind. It gets nowhere near her elbow and it's not hand ball.

Grande

That’s insane to me. Before the latest rule change, that would never have been a hands in a million year, the ball is shot from a yard away, deflects in an English knee, hits the chest/shoulder and then the hand, all in a split second.

After the latest rule change (which is stupid, btw), there is a discussion to be had wether it is a penalty or not, because of a) the laboring about if you have arms above shoulder hight and makes the body larger, but maybe not because b) it’s unintentional, the arm
moves away from where the ball is initially heading (first thigh height towards goal, then towards her chest), the player intends to play the ball, it comes off her own legal body part - all things mentioned as exceptions in the rules. You might argue for it, you might argue against it on the current laws, but given that VAR shall only intervene on ‘clear AND obvious errors’, and ideally shal make the decision after a minute, not an hour’s round table debate, I think it makes sense to let it go, and I think it’s madness to claim there must be some ‘Wembley conspiracy’ for it to have happened.

I can assure you, me personally, I would have felt it a travesty if the opposite had happened, and England had gotten a match deciding penalty after the German keeper saved the ball thrice in a melee and VAR intervened on that kind of pinball incident. Tragic for football, even.

Red card is just ludicrous, blinkered sore loser stuff (which I’ve done myself on occasion, I’ll admit). IMHO.