What’s Real Madrid’s secret?

erikcred

Barcelona won far less CLs, and at least two were fair, IMO. Real Madrid has won 6 CL titles, and I don't remember many knockout ties or finals that they won by outplaying opponent.
Just their aura seems to induce an unusual number of opposition goalkeeper howlers in big games just when they need it.

Just off the top of my head, I can remember the Ulreich mistake in the semi against Bayern, Karius (x2) in the final, Mendy in one of the Chelsea games and Neuer this season. Not to mention the last min pen v Juventus when Buffon got himself sent off.

On the other hand, Courtois puts in one of the all time great gk performances to win them the final a couple of years ago.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
What about the fact that both Barcelona and Real Madrid were able to negotiate their own TV contracts for almost two decades?

Atletico Madrid, even after winning La Liga, were still getting smaller TV rights revenue than the bottom-placed team in the PL. It took until 2016 for the new laws to come into place to make things more even, and even then, the effects of it wasn't felt until 2019.

All those years getting more lucrative TV deals giving them a huge advantage in consistently being able to outbid other clubs.
All those years being given a running head start and thus helping them both finish in CL spots more easily.
The likes of Valencia winning La Liga twice in three years and not being able to build on it due to not being able to keep up with Real and Barca's TV rights advantage.

I'm not saying Madrid didn't do what they needed to do to win the CL's; I'm just saying that they qualified as many times as they did, and built the teams that they have on the back of pure and unadulterated sanctioned inequality from La Liga.
There is nothing inherently wrong with being able to negotiate your own TV contracts.

Here is a journal article on the subject.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The squad is full of mentally elite talents. Even the younger contingent like Bellingham, Vini et al. have it aside from the old guard of Modric, Kroos and of course the manager.

Oranges038

I rarely see United kits on youngsters outside of Manchester these days. Take it back 10-15 years, and anywhere I went, here or abroad, there'd be a dead certainty of United tops in the sea of people.

City, PSG, Messi/Miami and Ronaldo kits are more prevalent amongst the young and 'neutral' ground abroad these days, from what I see, with smatterings of Real, Barca, Munich and the odd United thrown in.

PSG look to have gobbled up a massive portion of the market through their collaborative efforts with Jordan and Nike; easily the 'coolest' items among the young football wise, I think.
True enough, I coach about 20-30 kids u10s and for the majority it's either Liverpool, City or PSG with one or 2 Utd shirts. I get a fair bit of stick about Utd, but it's all good fun. Other coach is a Liverpool fan, his kid is a full kit w*nker every week, really only the Liverpool kids wear the full kit.

And just last week we had a new kid, he saw me wearing a Utd top and started taking the piss a bit. So I asked him who he supported.

"Man City"

The same kids goes and gets changed and proceed to arrive out in the full Liverpool kit w*nker style.

I just told him his Man City jersey had some bird crap on it.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I remember they getting battered in a final vs Athletico Madrid, Ramos was a hero keeping them in it.
This is not true, RM had 61% possesion, 21 shots and 12 on target. Atletico had 39% possession, 10 shots and 6 on target. Atletico had more saves (6 to 3) and committed way more fouls (27 to 19).

Atletico were getting away with an incredibly lame final win until Ramos righted the wrong.

Barcelona won far less CLs, and at least two were fair, IMO. Real Madrid has won 6 CL titles, and I don't remember many knockout ties or finals that they won by outplaying opponent.
Hard to argue against this since "outplaying the opponent" is a nebulous concept but RM have convincingly won against their opponents many times. They beat Juve 4-1 and Atletico 4-1 in two finals. Beat Bayern 0-4 away and beat them at their own stadium three consecutive times. Beat Atletico by two goals in 2017, PSG by 3 in 2018.

The other times against tough opponents the matches are more balanced and could go either way.

2022 CL is the only one where RM were comprehensively outplayed and won the ties/matches anyway.

Last edited:

Hammondo

This is not true, RM had 61% possesion, 21 shots and 12 on target. Atletico had 39% possession, 10 shots and 6 on target. Atletico had more saves (6 to 3) and committed way more fouls (27 to 19).

Atletico were getting away with an incredibly lame final win until Ramos righted the wrong.

Hard to argue against this since "outplaying the opponent" is a nebulous concept but RM have convincingly won against their opponents many times. They beat Juve 4-1 and Atletico 4-1 in two finals. Beat Bayern 0-4 away and beat them at their own stadium three consecutive times. Beat Atletico by two goals in 2017, PSG by 3 in 2018.

The other times against tough opponents the matches are more balanced and could go either way.

2022 CL is the only one where RM were comprehensively outplayed and won the ties/matches anyway.
That's the wrong final, they had 2. Athletico had RM defending most of the game, but heavily ran out of steam in the last quarter ISH of the game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's the wrong final, they had 2. Athletico had RM defending most of the game, but heavily ran out of steam in the last quarter ISH of the game.
Not really. They had us under the kosh early in the second half, otherwise it was the usual game of madrid attack vs atletico defence. Funnily they didn't score in their good period, they scored when we were well on top and had come very close to the second multiple times. First half they were nonexistent and extra time too. Second half was all in all even

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think club's culture also takes a fundamental part on this. The levels of demand are way above any other club in Europe. Also having money to spend on good players help.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I was just checking their transfer spending, and in the past 3 years they have spent ridiculously low for their(or any other top club) standards, so they deserve lot of respect for that to be fair.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
"Hence doing better in cup competitions than in the league, where defined system and consistency are more important."

I think too much is made of this.

RM won the league and CL in 2017 and 2022. If they win CL this year then it's another double.
In 2014 they were 3 pts from 1st and in 2016 they were 1 pt from 1st. These are trivial differences that mean nothing. In 2016 it was because of a bad managerial appointment that was rectified mid-season.

2018 is the only CL win out of the last 5 where RM were inconsistent in the league and good in the CL. And tbh they were not that good in the CL either but the competition was middling.

RM also doesn't do well in the domestic cup.

Hammondo

Not really. They had us under the kosh early in the second half, otherwise it was the usual game of madrid attack vs atletico defence. Funnily they didn't score in their good period, they scored when we were well on top and had come very close to the second multiple times. First half they were nonexistent and extra time too. Second half was all in all even
Ramos was amazing at stopping their chances, last man defence. And yes Athletico were easily the better team if it wasn't for him.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
(1) They have actual standards.
(2) They know when it's not going to work with managers and players and quickly move them on.
(3) Their fans hold their managers and players accountable based on their current performance not their past achievements.

Attributing poor officiating to their success disingenius. They have earned what they have achieved.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Ramos was amazing at stopping their chances, last man defence. And yes Athletico were easily the better team if it wasn't for him.
That was the worst RM to win the CL. If you recall, Zidane was appointed mid-season and he had no experience in top level football. In those circumstances t's fine not to be at your best IMO.
It was also the most narrow win, on pens.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Great recruitment...
While that is true, it doesn't explain everything
The keeper was Lunin, Their CBs were Nacho and Rudiger, remember how Chelsea fans felt Rudiger was their problem? Mendy, Brahim Diaz Joselu some of these guys their careers before Madrid was not much
Same thing others who left Madrid like Asensio James DiMaria Khedira
Their careers after Madrid were not that great

But the moment they put on that white jersey of Madrid they turn to something else

KeanoMagicHat

"Hence doing better in cup competitions than in the league, where defined system and consistency are more important."

I think too much is made of this.

RM won the league and CL in 2017 and 2022. If they win CL this year then it's another double.
In 2014 they were 3 pts from 1st and in 2016 they were 1 pt from 1st. These are trivial differences that mean nothing. In 2016 it was because of a bad managerial appointment that was rectified mid-season.

2018 is the only CL win out of the last 5 where RM were inconsistent in the league and good in the CL. And tbh they were not that good in the CL either but the competition was middling.

RM also doesn't do well in the domestic cup.
They won the Champions League in 2000 when 5th though. In 1998 they were 4th and 2002 they were 3rd. Even back to the first days of the European Cup, Barcelona won leagues while they won ECs. Not very relevant to their playing style today, but it's their heritage.

While that is true, it doesn't explain everything
The keeper was Lunin, Their CBs were Nacho and Rudiger, remember how Chelsea fans felt Rudiger was their problem? Mendy, Brahim Diaz Joselu some of these guys their careers before Madrid was not much
Same thing others who left Madrid like Asensio James DiMaria Khedira
Their careers after Madrid were not that great

But the moment they put on that white jersey of Madrid they turn to something else
I don't think that's very true about Rudiger, vast majority of Chelsea fans I know were dying to keep him but he just left on a free transfer with Madrid calling and uncertainty with Abramovich delayed contracts,

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I don't think that's very true about Rudiger, vast majority of Chelsea fans I know were dying to keep him but he just left on a free transfer with Madrid calling and uncertainty with Abramovich delayed contracts,
I think it was true at the beginning but that changed under Tuchel. Before Rüdiger often was on the bench and overall didn't perform great, once Tuchel arrived he turned into their best defender and stayed on that level when he moved to Real.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
They won the Champions League in 2000 when 5th though. In 1998 they were 4th and 2002 they were 3rd. Even back to the first days of the European Cup, Barcelona won leagues while they won ECs. Not very relevant to their playing style today, but it's their heritage.
I'd say that era was a bit of an exception. Because afterward everyone always hoped a bad domestic season could be saved with a CL title and it never really happened (until 2018).
Even back to the first days of the European Cup, Barcelona won leagues while they won ECs. Not very relevant to their playing style today, but it's their heritage.
RM were more dominant in that era when EC started. Barcelona won leagues in 59 and 60, then nothing until 73. RM won in 54, 55, 57, 58, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65.

LA BOMBA

Supports
Atletico
They and Milan have been the only two big European clubs that have long prioritized winning the European Cup/Champions League over their domestic leagues, to the point of sacrificing the latter if needed. So they naturally won more CLs than other comparable clubs.

People forget that not long ago, winning the domestic league was seen as more important for majority of clubs over winning the CL. For example Juventus was always focused on Serie A more than CL when Serie A was at its peak. Even Bayern would not sacrifice the form in their league for CL up until recently when it's kind of a given they're going to win the league anyway. You can see a similar mentality even today with the Premier League. Liverpool wanted that PL title more than the CL. Gerrard is mocked for not winning the PL despite winning the CL. Serie A and PL also have many big clubs going for the title every year, while the only thing standing between Real and Barca having a total duopoly over the league for the last 20 years is Simeone with Atletico.

Real Madrid starts every season focused on CL while having such an advantage in local competition that they can turn off completely if they want and still get top 3 finish. It's basically impossible for them not being in the top 4. If big clubs from other leagues has such advantages, they'd be winning more CL, just like Milan was actually doing in their prime.

I don't understand why people go on about Real winning 14 CL titles as if this was some hardest achievement in football ever, when if you look at the circumstances, it really wasn't. For example I consider Juve winning 36 Serie A titles as bigger achievement than Real's 14 CLs, as winning the Serie A was for the most part (ignoring the 2010s) much harder than winning the CL, especially in the 90s when Serie A was basically the super league.

Alpha 1

I have no idea. A team with that starting 11 should not be beating teams such as Man City and Munich.
115 charges FC outplayed them completely. Should've been smashed but Real Madrid somehow came through, thankfully. I hate them btw but ofcourse 115 charges are second only to the scum from Liverpool.
You yourselves are not without your share of controversies either, for example wasn't your first cl in the new format achived through an offside goal in 97?
The one thing about Barca though is that every year they WON the CL, they were the best club in Europe and Spain, and dominated pretty much every opponent. With Real Madrid, they've often won the CL without being the best in their country and narrowly squeezed past the likes of Bayern, Atletico and 115 charges FC with ALOT of fortune going their way.
It doesn’t hurt that so many South American, Spanish and Portuguese players see it as the absolute pinnacle to play for them. Imagine if Ronaldo didn’t have that idea in his head. We’d probably have another CL or two.
More than Ronaldo, it is about Ferguson leaving. Ronaldo couldn't do anything at Juventus because he is a player who needs service and with the garbage we've been putting out since Fergue left, no chance we win the CL.

Apokalips

Being serious for a moment here: no. Benitez was untenable. United would have sacked him too, perhaps even earlier than we did. Flo actually dithered a bit before pulling the trigger because it was HIS screw up, he'd been the one to sack Ancelotti when literally everyone else was telling him not to, he decided to hire Benitez when literally everyone knew it would be a disaster. Your situation with managers post SAF is very different - at no point did you have a CL winning squad in its prime lead by a top 10 player of all time coming a CL semifinal and a 92 points league campaign while being shredded by injuries. The underperformance under Benitez was too gross and obvious for anyone to defend him
You underestimate how tolerant United fans and board are of poor managerial performance and how creative the excuses are. We'd 100% hear how he'd won so many trophies and "we can't keep sacking managers". It would be that the players got lazy and aren't hungry anymore, sell them all and bring in 20 young hungry kids.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Until the last couple decades, that was the norm. In 68 editions of the CL, 31 times the winner also won the league the same season. And of those 31, 11 happened since 2006.

Son

A lot of this is the intensity of the premier league. City are a better side than them by some distance but at the end of the season it’s pretty gruelling in England.

Allows Modric for example to have a great year and stay fresh for the end. If he played for United he would get slaughtered in the media for not running enough.

His body would not hold up in England currently over a full season like we’ve seen with Casemiro - nor should it we would demand him to play too high intensity for his style.

This Madrid side aren’t nearly as good as Liverpool either at their peak under Klopp.

They lack the intensity most games but obviously them and Bayern (who probably aren’t as good as Arsenal) this season get to conserve more energy for big knockout games.

The FA needs to sort this problem out. Either make larger squads with more money or less games.

Then we would see Madrid & Bayern facing equal / better better sides on a more even level fitness wise come end of the season.

Look at Sancho for example. Players who conserve energy all season suddenly can come into their own.

The weather helps to recover also in Spain must be said. I think it’s a more relaxing lifestyle overall and gives a good work / life balance which can give a slight edge after a full season.

Luckily for us those factors make a normal 7/10 chance of a City victory to 50/50 sometimes. Meant Madrid have twice saved our blushes in the past 3 years or else City could well have have equalled our European cup record easily.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
A lot of this is the intensity of the premier league. City are a better side than them by some distance but at the end of the season it’s pretty gruelling in England.

Allows Modric for example to have a great year and stay fresh for the end. If he played for United he would get slaughtered in the media for not running enough.

His body would not hold up in England currently over a full season like we’ve seen with Casemiro - nor should it we would demand him to play too high intensity for his style.

This Madrid side aren’t nearly as good as Liverpool either at their peak under Klopp.

They lack the intensity most games but obviously them and Bayern (who probably aren’t as good as Arsenal) this season get to conserve more energy for big knockout games.

The FA needs to sort this problem out. Either make larger squads with more money or less games.

Then we would see Madrid & Bayern facing equal / better better sides on a more even level fitness wise come end of the season.

Look at Sancho for example. Players who conserve energy all season suddenly can come into their own.

The weather helps to recover also in Spain must be said. I think it’s a more relaxing lifestyle overall and gives a good work / life balance which can give a slight edge after a full season.
Ah the favourite argument whenever PL clubs do badly... "the PL is so good and intense, our clubs are too exhausted to compete in Europe"

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There was one team in that game that looked like a great ad for PEDs, and it wasn't Madrid...

He has played a grand total of 2000 minutes, most of it off the bench. That's the equivalent of 22 games. Half his appearances are of >30 minutes spells. He's fresh because Ancelotti has been very careful about managing his minutes

Son

Ah the favourite argument whenever PL clubs do badly... "the PL is so good and intense, our clubs are too exhausted to compete in Europe"
I watch La Liga it’s factual. Getafe - Barcelona the other day was more like a premier league game it was great but on the whole yes Spain is poor right now.

Imagine City playing in La Liga? It would be an absolute stroll for them right now to pick up that title each season.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I watch La Liga it’s factual. Getafe - Barcelona the other day was more like a premier league game it was great but on the whole yes Spain is poor right now.

Imagine City playing in La Liga? It would be an absolute stroll for them right now to pick up that title each season.
Because winning the PL hasn't been a stroll for them after Klopp's peak Liverpool burned out?

Son

There was one team in that game that looked like a great ad for PEDs, and it wasn't Madrid...

He has played a grand total of 2000 minutes, most of it off the bench. That's the equivalent of 22 games. Half his appearances are of >30 minutes spells. He's fresh because Ancelotti has been very careful about managing his minutes
Easy to manage minutes when you aren’t fighting for 3 points each week and players getting injuries left right and centre.

I wonder even if City could win La Liga league without Haaland and De Bruyne? I reckon they would comfortably.

JogaBonitoRooney

Luckily for us those factors make a normal 7/10 chance of a City victory to 50/50 sometimes. Meant Madrid have twice saved our blushes in the past 3 years or else City could well have have equalled our European cup record easily.
Oh so why didn't the great PL intensity not affect City in 2023, Chelsea 2021, Liverpool 2019? The PL so intense that every 2 years it helps PL be good to win CL but they over do it, it's so intense winning it two times in a row isn't possible and PL needs to recover for a session. The PL will be back to win CL next year. Congrats you've cracked the formula.

That amazing intensity PL has to endure in the league season stopped De Bruyne missing a sitter against Madrid in the second leg to finish Madrid off. The great intensity caused the lack of defending by Arsenal on Kimmich for the winning Bayern goal.

38 year old Modric, who is a come off the bench player for Madrid now, wouldn't last in the PL but of course the legendary James Milner and Ashley Young would. You've figured it all out.

Last edited:

Son

Because winning the PL hasn't been a stroll for them after Klopp's peak Liverpool burned out?
Exactly burned out because they played better football most weeks at a higher intensity. Don’t see Madrid burning out… I wonder why?
Oh so why didn't the great PL intensity not affect City in 2023, Chelsea 2021, Liverpool 2019? The PL so intense that every 2 years it helps PL be good to win CL but they over do it, it's so intense winning it two times in a row isn't possible and PL needs to recover for a session. The PL will be back to win CL next year. Congrats you've cracked the formula.

That amazing intensity PL has to endure in the league season stopped De Bruyne missing a sitter against Madrid in the second leg to finish then off. The great intensity caused the lack of defending by Arsenal on Kimmich for the winning Bayern goal.

38 year old Modric, who is a come off the bench player for Madrid now, wouldn't last in the PL but of course the legendary James Milner and Ashley Young would. You've figured it all out.
City were just ridiculous in 2023 so no Madrid weren’t beating them. Injuries this season evened the odds although again it was a lucky win but it’s football and that happens.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Exactly burned out because they played better football most weeks at a higher intensity. Don’t see Madrid burning out… I wonder why?
Point is City are not burning out, are strolling through the PL season after season and were massively physically dominant against Real, just not clinical enough. There is zero indication that they can't cope with the intensity of the league and still be competitive. On the contrary it looked like Madrid couldn't cope with City's intensity.

Son

Point is City are not burning out, are strolling through the PL season after season and were massively physically dominant against Real, just not clinical enough. There is zero indication that they can't cope with the intensity of the league and still be competitive. On the contrary it looked like Madrid couldn't cope with City's intensity.
Yeah I agree with all that. City are a far more well rounded and overall a stronger side as it stands than Real but on a one off game the Spanish side can perhaps prepare more for said physicality to make up the difference a little.

I do think City are adapting to the schedule now with Pep purchasing seemingly more players with physical attributes recently over just pure talent.

I still think premier league sides need larger squads than their European counterparts if you wanted to build a dynasty in Europe and fully focus on it like Madrid have and Bayern to an extent each season.

There are too many distractions in England it’s entertaining but has its downfalls with fatigue.

Statue of Limitations

It's abundantly clear to me that they are Més que un Club ;)

Unbelievable winning mentality, the last time they won it they did it the hard way, couldn't back against them here.

Son

We muddied my argument for the Premier League a lot though earlier in the season I will admit.

This United team was one of the worst English sides ever to get to the champions league. We were an utter disgrace in Europe.

Real put us to shame the past decade as a traditional “big club” that’s for sure.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
High standards and winning mentality. They expect their players, coaches to be the best in class and are quick to replace them if they aren’t.

We are the perfect opposite of them. We romanticize, lower our standards and fall in love with mediocrity.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I still think premier league sides need larger squads than their European counterparts if you wanted to build a dynasty in Europe and fully focus on it like Madrid have and Bayern to an extent each season.
I think that's true. But PL teams have both more money to sign those additional players and have more matches to actually use them, so I don't see that as a big problem. Maybe my view is to simplistic in this regard, but that's how I feel.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Easy to manage minutes when you aren’t fighting for 3 points each week and players getting injuries left right and centre.

I wonder even if City could win La Liga league without Haaland and De Bruyne? I reckon they would comfortably.
They won the PL basically without De Bruyne once, so probably. 98 points, beating the european champions to the title

MarkK

Supports
Bayern Munich
They are a well-run club, simple as that.

Nevertheless, a part of their secret is that they are on top of the food chain. If they want him, Xabi Alonso will be their next manager, if they really want a player, they get him. Them being so attractive is not only a matter of money. As a top player, you probably want to have played for Real (or Barcelona, before they ran out of money), during your career.

Being a Bayern-supporter, I admit that this is the exact reason for our national dominance. What we are in Germany, Real is in Europe.

The Premier League is probably the most interesting league in the world, but no team rivals Real when it comes to merit, prestige and attractiveness.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
This also seems to help. Though it can also bite you in the ass. YMMV.