What’s the dilemma with Donny’s playing time & Ole?

Siorac

Not that much and which midfield places are open? I agree he could have come off the bench more but Ole doesn't use subs in general anyway. Honestly I'm not sure why there's this fixation about being 'fair' when football at the highest level is so unfair. Ask DDG, committed to the club with a big contract, only to find out he was second to Hendo. You think we can play 2 goalkeepers or that they can come off the bench for playing time?
It's not about being fair at all though.

We are light in midfield in numbers - unless we consider Donny a midfielder who can play as part of the two. Ole, however, seems to consider him an emergency backup to Bruno, and even in that role he's quite possibly behind Lingard now that he's back.

- If Ole rates him so little, why did we sign him in the first place?
- If he was that much worse than expected, why didn't we sell him and get a midfielder in?
- If none of the above is true, why doesn't he ever seem to get a chance?

The whole thing doesn't really make sense and it seems like poor squad management. I repeat: if he's never going to be used as anything other than a number 10 in dead rubbers and League Cup games, then we should have sold him and used the money to bring in a central midfielder the manager is willing to use in... central midfield.

yipthatman

Loads of top managers buy players then decide they aren't as good as they thought. Pep is a classic example. I guess sometimes the only way to find out is to buy the player and give them a chance in training and some matchtime.

Pretty clear from his agents comments that he wanted to leave to play football but United blocked any move.

If he's not given a chance after this it will reflect badly on United.

Hope he gets a chance to shine this season.

yipthatman

Pretty clear from his agents comments that he wanted to leave to play football but United blocked any move.

Its not a charity though. He signed a contract. Its always a gamble when you sign at a top club. Loads of players sign and never really see game time. You sign more good players than you need in the ideal world and bench some.

git_united

I think it’s too early to conclude anything about his playing time for this season. Ex-ante it made sense to have a hardworking James provide cover for AWB (Don’t think he really did much here). We couldn’t have a repeat of the Soton midfield and the Fred/Pogba combo has worked really well (Sevilla Europa league semi).
We’re back to a place with the squad we have now where we can go deep in all competitions. I trust (more like hope really) that Ole will at least use him consistently in the league cup, early round FA cup, and first half of league matches before a big European tie.

PieCrust

It's a really weird situation. I rate VDB, or at least the player he was a Ajax and from what I've seen with the Dutch team. I don't know why Ole doesn't trust him, but clearly he doesn't. Now should be the time with McT out that DVB gets some chances and a run of games. Matic should probably never start another match for us and eventhough they aren't the same kind of player, we don't have any other true DM's so starting VDB over Matic doesn't matter with the latter's legs shot anyway.

At least of 2 of Fred and VDB will provide energy and workrate. Matic just plays basically as a 3rd CB and many times is the deepest player on the pitch, which is just frustrating when you watch Fred getting overrun in midfield by himself.

I'd really like to see Danny get some matches after the break. He isn't a true #10 nor #8, but something a little inbetween and I think he has something to offer us in CM. He may not be the best defending, but he can certaintly help link up the play to our forwards, something we desperately lack and is a prime reason we struggle so much against aggresive pressing teams.

SAFMUTD

He'll inevitably be sold next summer, maybe even in January. His agent is already speaking out for him so I think the relationship has been slightly damaged already.

It's clear Ole kept him for low tier cups, I don't think VdB will be happy with that. We are talking about a player that was starting for the Netherlands whom has recently lost his place in the national squad due to lack of game time.

With the world cup being next year I don't think he'll be willing to waste more time, so unless something dramatically changes and Ole starts using him regularly, which seems highly unlikely, my prediction is he'll be gone in the next window.

Its not a charity though. He signed a contract. Its always a gamble when you sign at a top club. Loads of players sign and never really see game time. You sign more good players than you need in the ideal world and bench some.
He's an established Champions League and International player. I'm sure prior to signing for United he had discussions about what his role would be.

Yes transfers can be a gamble and some don't pay off, but to then deny the player a move this summer - while giving no indication he's going to get more game time is not the way to treat players.

romufc

I agree with you, but grabbing a chance with 8 hands doesn't need to happen only in a game, that's only half of it, the other it's the day to day training.

And his agent shouldn't wash his rubbish in public, the same as Ole doesn't. If it's Pogba people are outraged, if it's Donny people are ok with it.

Now, hopefullly with us competing for a trophy here and there, he will, at least, feature regularly in the cups and that should be enough for him to show what he's made of.
Well, if he isn't training well, then why not loan / sell him and get someone who will play better?

In regards to Pogba, the difference is massive, Donny's agent hasn't been disrespectful or anything he is just saying that his player needs to play.

I hope he gets his chance to show what he can do

Abraxas

How will it reflect badly on Man Utd?

It reflects badly on the player that he can't get a game. It's not the club's responsibility to play Donny van de Beek, our responsibilities are to give him a platform. Help him settle into life in the UK, give him good facilities and access to professional staff, and to pay him. That's it, the rest is down to him and the manager - nobody outside Manchester United cares about van de Beek enough for it reflect on us with the exception of the Dutch national team.

It reflects badly on the player that he can't get a game. It's not the club's responsibility to play Donny van de Beek, our responsibilities are to give him a platform. Help him settle into life in the UK, give him good facilities and access to professional staff, and to pay him. That's it, the rest is down to him and the manager - nobody outside Manchester United cares about van de Beek enough for it reflect on us with the exception of the Dutch national team.
Signing a well known player with CL and international experience - giving him zero chance at the club and refusing to let the player leave the club, when he wants to leave to play football (especially in a world cup year).

It's not how a a club like United should treat players.

Abraxas

Signing a well known player with CL and international experience - giving him zero chance at the club and refusing to let the player leave the club, when he wants to leave to play football (especially in a world cup year).

It's not how a a club like United should treat players.
He hasn't had zero chance. That would suggest he hasn't played, he had minutes last season so already you're resorting to exaggeration.

There are players all over Europe that move to clubs and don't cut the mustard. It's nothing special or noteworthy. The only difference is he's our player and we're inwardly focused and critical as fans and make a big drama out of it. This isn't even on the radar in reputational terms.

croadyman

That makes little sense.
If he isn't good enough, sell him and recoup your £40m to reinvest. Remember we had to "sell to buy"...?
If he isn't ready for the PL, why then block a loan to Everton, where he will get regular PL football, and eventually be ready for United?
I keep hearing that he is a back up player, but to who exactly?
He doesn't come in if Pogba or Bruno don't play, and he doesn't come in if either Fred or McT don't play.
The situation is just bizarre.
Yeah we would easily have had enough to buy a DM this summer IF we hadn't bought a player Ole doesn't know how to use, having said that I think there is a lot of truth in him being brought in because we thought Pogba would leave had COVID not hit

croadyman

It's not about being fair at all though.

We are light in midfield in numbers - unless we consider Donny a midfielder who can play as part of the two. Ole, however, seems to consider him an emergency backup to Bruno, and even in that role he's quite possibly behind Lingard now that he's back.

- If he was that much worse than expected, why didn't we sell him and get a midfielder in?
- If none of the above is true, why doesn't he ever seem to get a chance?

The whole thing doesn't really make sense and it seems like poor squad management. I repeat: if he's never going to be used as anything other than a number 10 in dead rubbers and League Cup games, then we should have sold him and used the money to bring in a central midfielder the manager is willing to use in... central midfield.
Yeah you cannot judge this guy properly if he is only ever playing in dead european games or League Cup ties with the fringe players maybe even sometimes academy prospects. We need to see him playing with the first XI in order to be able to judge whether or not he is up to it and pretty sure he hasn't had chance to do that much so far.

Zen86

He’s every reason to want out of the club, and yet he’s seemingly been very professional about the whole thing so far, all things considered.

Lyng

Van de Beek played as attacking mid when Bruno was rested, he barely gets on the ball. He is more off the ball player than contributing in the build up play.
I would probably use him behind Pogba with Pogba as 10 against teams like Wolves who pressure our midfield. He has what most our other players in central midfield lack = calm, secure passing, possession and spacial discipline. It's way to easy to rip our midfield apart when Bruno is 10 and our central is Fred + Matic or Pogba .
1) Because their passing is either lacking or too risky against these teams.
2) Bruno as a 10 is playing almost as a second striker more than a link between mid and attack.

Diabovermelho

Our next 4 games are against Newcastle, Young boys, West Ham and West Ham. I guess he'll start against Young boys and West Ham. I also wanted to see him in a double pivot with Fred against Newcastle but i doubt Ole will start him in this.

croadyman

Our next 4 games are against Newcastle, Young boys, West Ham and West Ham. I guess he'll start against Young boys and West Ham. I also wanted to see him in a double pivot with Fred against Newcastle but i doubt Ole will start him in this.
Yeah he probably will but my fear is that the West Ham game is going to see him playing with the fringe players again, however would be very surprised if he's starts against Young Boys with it being our first Champions League game

He hasn't had zero chance. That would suggest he hasn't played, he had minutes last season so already you're resorting to exaggeration.

There are players all over Europe that move to clubs and don't cut the mustard. It's nothing special or noteworthy. The only difference is he's our player and we're inwardly focused and critical as fans and make a big drama out of it. This isn't even on the radar in reputational terms.
I'm not resorting to exaggeration - my opinion is Donny was not given the time to show what he can do.

If you think the minutes he had last season were enough for him to show his ability that's fine.

themanguydude

It will reflect badly on our reputation because players (especially young players) will think twice before wanting to sign for us.

Let's imagine some young prospect like Camavinga wants to come, but reconsiders because he saw how Donny is treated, whereby if for whatever reason the manager doesn't like you, you'll be basically playing no football and will be wasting 2-3 years of your short footballing career

I think this was the reason Bellingham chose Dortmund over us. No need to exacerbate this reputation.

Abraxas

I'm not resorting to exaggeration - my opinion is Donny was not given the time to show what he can do.

If you think the minutes he had last season were enough for him to show his ability that's fine.
Zero was exaggeration by it's very definition. My point isn't to crap on Donny anyway, there's no good in that, it'd be lovely to see him do well and it'd be a good thing for the club. It's just frustrating to hear constant criticism of the club and the manager over a player that's not done much. This notion that we look bad, or the manager has done it all wrong and poor Donny, I just can't get on board.

I wouldn't say he's had enough minutes to completely rule out a revival, weirder things have happened. But he had enough to show something... anything. Anything that might have earned him another chance would have been a start. The only remotely decent showing I remember was a home fixture in the CL.

sparx99

Fairly sure in that radio interview the agent said he needed to get ‘his ankle sorted out’. I wonder if had a knock which was why Ole played Matic against Southampton.

Personally I like Donny. I think even if all he did was keep it neat and tidy in midfield that is an upgrade on Fred and his wastefulness.

Also, both Fred abs McTominay have license to join the attack. I’d rather Van De Beek was doing that rather than them.

CloneMC16

I'm baffled by how much support VDB has. Never have I seen a player that has put in such average performances get so much backing from the fans. I don't think he is better than McFred. That's why he doesn't get games over them. He at least isn't offering what Ole wants from his pivot. He sees these players everyday in training. He is obviously not going to play over Bruno.

I have seen some people say that he was supposed to be a Pogba replacement. He plays absolutely nothing like Pogba. Pogba is very creative and looks to play progressive passes almost every time he gets the ball. That is the complete opposite of what I have seen from VDB. He plays nothing like how any of our midfielders play. That's another reason why I struggle to see how he's backup to Bruno. Our attacking midfielders are very creative or look to run at people.

I've always thought that he was a club signing. Not somebody that Ole really wanted. He plays nothing like our other options and Ole seems to have no interest in playing him. Why did he green light a first team player for £35m that he has barely used? He got starts in games against teams that we should have zero trouble in beating and in games that we have nothing to play for.

If the reports are to be believed and Ole blocked a transfer away, he must want to keep him. He must have plans to play him more this season. I can only ever see him getting games in the pivot next to Fred or Matic. If VDB doesn't get a chance after the last two games, and McTominay is still out, I have no idea what's going on.

After everything that's happened, the only conclusion I can come to is after getting to watch him in training, VDB wasn't offering enough of what we wanted. The coaches still must see something, or he would have been allowed to leave this summer. He was given an extra year to bulk up and possibly offer something that he wasn't before.

AneRu

I would like to see a player grab a chance with 8 hands once every 6 months of playing. He gets 45 mins max in a game, what do you expect him to do from CM? Score a Hat trick and get hat trick of assists whilst having 100% interceptions and tackle rate?

His agent has said nothing that isn't true, he has been patient for a year, he has been promised game time and in 3 games after having a decent pre season has 0 minutes in the league.

The reason people are calling for him to start is because Fred, Matic, Pogba have been putting up stinkers in the middle of the park. Pogba on the weekend had a poor game as CM.

He can't get the chance over Fred who is allowed to make 10 mistakes a game yet keeps getting the managers vote of confidence?
This is the crux of the matter, players like Fred have a license to make mistakes and still get picked whilst Donny has to score hattricks, make 10 tackles and record a dozen assists in one appearance that comes once in two months. I bet Matic, after his horror show against Southampton will get a start sooner that DVB.

Its quite bizzare, he isn't trusted/wanted here and secured interest from all over Europe which the club, the same club that couldn't buy a DM before selling anyone in the summer, blocked. Why keep around if you are not going to play him especially when it comes at the opportunity cost of getting a much needed player? Doesn't make sense at all.

Counterfactual

People keep saying this, but it doesn't make any sense. Let's assume Van de Beek is a Pogba replacement for the central areas of the pitch. If that's the case, why could the replacement not play in Pogba's initial position of CM whilst Pogba stays where he was thriving out on the left?

Why would we drag our star performer from the first two games into a position he's up and down in from the one in which he was shining if Van de Beek is his replacement for the centre of the pitch?

We had to disrupt multiple players in multiple positions last game because McTominay wasn't available - the upheaval could be reduced to 1:1 if there was a CM sitting on the bench who could have interchanged, so why was Van de Beek completely ignored?

Van de Beek is being treated oddly for whatever reason, but Pogba not even starting the season through the middle suggests it's got nothing to do with him that the former is getting no PT whatsoever.

And if the reason he is not getting PT is because he doesn't look the part in training or whatever, then why wasn't he sold and his place taken by his replacement?

Very little of this makes sense, and trying to make sense of it pokes even more holes in the reasons why he's still here.
Because Ole prefers Pogba in any position to Van de Beek?

Longshanks

We are only 3 games into the season, im sure he will get his chance. I think he would work quite well alongside mctom in midfield personally.

He strikes me as someone who may be able to set a tempo for us, sometimes he's to keen to instantly play give and goes 1 touch stuff and fly through the midfield and thats great but sometimes you do need to put your foot on the ball and slow it down a little especially if we are struggling for control or getting overrun a little think thats we he needs to learn and improve on.

el3mel

We are only 3 games into the season, im sure he will get his chance. I think he would work quite well alongside mctom in midfield personally.

He strikes me as someone who may be able to set a tempo for us, sometimes he's to keen to instantly play give and goes 1 touch stuff and fly through the midfield and thats great but sometimes you do need to put your foot on the ball and slow it down a little especially if we are struggling for control or getting overrun a little think thats we he needs to learn and improve on.
You realize that's his second season and not the first right ? Pretty sure people were saying the same last season as well.

The dilemma is that the team is crying for a midfielder and we wasted 45m on one last year without utilizing him at all.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I would probably use him behind Pogba with Pogba as 10 against teams like Wolves who pressure our midfield. He has what most our other players in central midfield lack = calm, secure passing, possession and spacial discipline. It's way to easy to rip our midfield apart when Bruno is 10 and our central is Fred + Matic or Pogba .
1) Because their passing is either lacking or too risky against these teams.
2) Bruno as a 10 is playing almost as a second striker more than a link between mid and attack.
If we are talking about someone like David Silva, Ozil or even Odegaard I would have agreed. They keep the game ticking with their technical ability, composure but not de beek.

theklr

2 scenarios in my mind:

Getting Bruno some rest in the latter parts of the season.

After trying both Pogba and Matic together with Fred , he might go with VdB in the pivot

Longshanks

You realize that's his second season and not the first right ? Pretty sure people were saying the same last season as well.

The dilemma is that the team is crying for a midfielder and we wasted 45m on one last year without utilizing him at all.
15 starts and 20 sub appearances is hardly not utilizing him, its a big step up from ajax and the Dutch league to Man utd and the EPL. He didn't exactly set the world alight in those appearances either.

We have kept him for a reason, maybe he isn't quite fit enough or ready after pre-season to be starting games he was injured though the summer wasn't he?

I'm sure we will see him on the pitch soon enough and can see if he has improved from last seasons offerings. And in terms of the fee 45m is hardly a big fee these days is it? We just sold dan James for 30m, how much do west ham want for declan rice!? What did city just pay for grealish? 45m drop in the ocean really and its less than we paid for both matic, Fred, pogba and bruno our 4 previous midfield signings.

atkar83

Everytime hes played he didnt really do anything spectacular to be honest. As long as Fred, Pogba and McTomminay are fit the only time he will get games is against lesser opponents. If he does well against them I can see the order being shuffled.
Anyone who watched Ajax, what is the best position for him and with what other United players around? Lets assume Bruno wasn't here since it appears they play the same spot, although their games are so different.

Abraxas

It will reflect badly on our reputation because players (especially young players) will think twice before wanting to sign for us.

Let's imagine some young prospect like Camavinga wants to come, but reconsiders because he saw how Donny is treated, whereby if for whatever reason the manager doesn't like you, you'll be basically playing no football and will be wasting 2-3 years of your short footballing career

I think this was the reason Bellingham chose Dortmund over us. No need to exacerbate this reputation.
I think this is more a concern of supporters that over analyse than for players actually in that situation. Most players come with an inbuilt sense of how good they are at this level, that's one ingredient they need. They don't think they're coming to be a non-entity at the outset just because of the plight of Donny van de Beek, that is ludicrous. That type of thinking seems more attributable to our slightly pessimistic fanbase than a player that has just learnt that Man Utd have put 40 million in front of their club and they can triple their wages.

Maybe Bellingham went to Dortmund because he knew he'd play football because that's what Dortmund do. They play these unpolished lads, they can afford to do that and then sell for profit as that is the make-up of their club. There is nothing wrong with that, they have a good offering to a young player whereas we are a very different club - there isn't any guarantee. That is simply the nature of the beast, we're not going to become Dortmund and they most certainly aren't going to be Man Utd.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Unless he was just Woody's signing and Ole doesn’t rate him (which is kinda what I’ve assumed) the only other explanation I can think is that he was signed as back up / competition to Bruno and the latter has just not got injured and the former has not proved himself worthy of starting ahead of Bruno.

el3mel

15 starts and 20 sub appearances is hardly not utilizing him, its a big step up from ajax and the Dutch league to Man utd and the EPL. He didn't exactly set the world alight in those appearances either.

We have kept him for a reason, maybe he isn't quite fit enough or ready after pre-season to be starting games he was injured though the summer wasn't he?

I'm sure we will see him on the pitch soon enough and can see if he has improved from last seasons offerings. And in terms of the fee 45m is hardly a big fee these days is it? We just sold dan James for 30m, how much do west ham want for declan rice!? What did city just pay for grealish? 45m drop in the ocean really and its less than we paid for both matic, Fred, pogba and bruno our 4 previous midfield signings.
Are you counting the sub appearances which lasted 5 minutes or less ?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/donny-van-de-beek/leistungsdaten/spieler/288255/plus/0?saison=2020

Most of his starts have been in the cup games.

He only had full 90 minutes in league games 3 times, and two times played 45 minutes. The rest are less than 20 minutes appearance, some appearances even were only 7 minutes and some were one minute or 3.

In Europe League he only played 90 minutes once and 45 minutes once, A 5 minutes appearance once and didn't play in the rest of games.

We paid 45m for this while we're crying for a midfielder.

Longshanks

Are you counting the sub appearances which lasted 5 minutes or less ?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/donny-van-de-beek/leistungsdaten/spieler/288255/plus/0?saison=2020

Most of his starts have been in the cup games.

He only had full 90 minutes in league games 3 times, and two times played 45 minutes. The rest are less than 20 minutes appearance, some appearances even were only 7 minutes and some were one minute or 3.

In Europe League he only played 90 minutes once and 45 minutes once, A 5 minutes appearance once and didn't play in the rest of games.

We paid 45m for this while we're crying for a midfielder.
He was signed as a backup for bruno and pogba and played as many games as you would expect im pretty sure he picked up an injury the same time pogba did around February so missed a few games that he might of otherwise played.

He looked quite bright early season then his performances dropped off, maybe he struggled with being in and out of the team, maybe he struggled to settle in, maybe the step up took him by surprise maybe a combination of everything.

We paid 45m for a good squad player who could become a first teamer against the backdrop of the unknown future of pogba. He has had a year to settle in and hopefully we will see more of him and more of what he can offer as this season goes on.

His signing isn't the reason we haven't signed a DM this summer, its because the targets we identified either weren't available or were to expensive and we have already made considerable upgrades in other areas of squad, we are not an oil club who can throw 200m a summer away at transfers with no concerns.

el3mel

He was signed as a backup for bruno and pogba and played as many games as you would expect im pretty sure he picked up an injury the same time pogba did around February so missed a few games that he might of otherwise played.

He looked quite bright early season then his performances dropped off, maybe he struggled with being in and out of the team, maybe he struggled to settle in, maybe the step up took him by surprise maybe a combination of everything.

We paid 45m for a good squad player who could become a first teamer against the backdrop of the unknown future of pogba. He has had a year to settle in and hopefully we will see more of him and more of what he can offer as this season goes on.

His signing isn't the reason we haven't signed a DM this summer, its because the targets we identified either weren't available or were to expensive and we have already made considerable upgrades in other areas of squad, we are not an oil club who can throw 200m a summer away at transfers with no concerns.
These 45m could have been used on a main option who could have solved us the midfield issue last year instead of wasting it on a 3rd option in number 10, 3rd option ! Not even 2nd. To be honest I don't even know on what basis we're classifying him as number 10 like Bruno and Pogba but I'm just following your logic.

You think that we can't throw 200m every summer but is fine with wasting money on a 3rd option at best in his position ?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

It’s one player. Out of how many?

Donny is the exception, not the rule and it reflects badly on him rather than Man United.

croadyman

These 45m could have been used on a main option that solve us the midfield issue last year instead of wasting it on a 3rd option in number 10, 3rd option ! Not even 2nd. To be honest I don't even know on what basis we're classifying him as number 10 like Bruno and Pogba but I'm just following your logic.

You think that we can't throw 200m every summer but is fine with wasting money on a 3rd option at best in his position ?
Yeah that was precisely my thoughts on it as well and if we hadn't spent that money then could have put in a bid for either Tchouameni/Bissouma this summer and think there is a very strong possibility it would have been accepted too

theklr

These 45m could have been used on a main option who could have solved us the midfield issue last year instead of wasting it on a 3rd option in number 10, 3rd option ! Not even 2nd. To be honest I don't even know on what basis we're classifying him as number 10 like Bruno and Pogba but I'm just following your logic.

Im quite sure that wasnt the plan from the coaching staff. What was I cant answer though.