g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

What are the positives at Manchester United?

EireRed_GS

- We have a manager and several coaches very familiar with the club and the magnitude of the club

- Ole has made his mark by phasing out / selling the deadwood, most of the players we have been moaning about the last 2 seasons (fellaini , smalling, alexis, lukaku, jones, matic... Young looks to be next as he will no doubt bring in an alternative.

- 3 signings so far. All 3 have slotted in very well, and have impressed. Good signings. He was never going to make massive changes instantly, but if he can do this (be allowed to) in the next few windows, he has a great chance to form his own team

- The emergence of more young players being given a chance. Ole recognises the Academy and development plays an important role at Utd

- De Gea staying. Good job Ole. Because i wouldnt have blamed him for leaving.

- The manager taking steps to change the culture / attitude problems throughout the club. There appeared to be quite a toxic, overpaid spoilt brat attitude to quite alot of the squad. When they couldnt bothered they just simply didnt show up. Ole appears to be slowing changing this. We are seeing certain players change their attitude on the pitch. it will take alot of effort for some others.

Craig Ward

Neither is irony but here you are. And anyway, i feel you totally missed the poiny of my original post.
I didn't miss the point, i just disagreed with it.

I understand irony and opinions fine. People are allowed these things called opinions these days......

pacifictheme

I didn't miss the point, i just disagreed with it.

I understand irony and opinions fine. People are allowed these things called opinions these days......
Why didn't you respond to it then? Went off on one about traditions like that had any relevance.

Also i am pretty sure you asked me not to have an opinion on our squad compared to chelseas.

Anyway it was 2 months ago, bore off.

Craig Ward

Why didn't you respond to it then? Went off on one about traditions like that had any relevance.

Also i am pretty sure you asked me not to have an opinion on our squad compared to chelseas.

Anyway it was 2 months ago, bore off.
Sorry, you appear to have asked me a question and told me to bore off in the same message.

Would you like a reply or not?

Absolute child like behaviour

Paul_Scholes18

We can raise our game for the big teams. Also playing great counter attacking football.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Old Trafford still not being a shopping centre despite the recent trends.

Rise of United youth, some of them look miles better than stars of the 1st squad.

Women's team with a very likeable squad and manager. Zelem, Green, Ladd and Jackie Groenen all look like a proper midfield, plus Lauren James being ridiculously talented for her age.

Despite all problems, lack of leadership and organization in this club, Manchester is Red.

This guy's still around. Always a pleasure, especially in good moments that this team is certainly capable of producing.

It's not much but feck it. Transition time will always be frustrating.

Mike Smalling

Gulf Oil International is our 'Official Global Lubricant and Fuel Retail Partner' - definitely among the strongest in the league.

Web of Bissaka

Blossoming Youth (sort of)
  • McTominay
  • Rashford
  • Greenwood
Exciting New Players and Youth
  • AWB
  • James
  • Tuanzebe
  • Williams
  • Etc
Slowly Phase-ing out Deadwoods
  • You know who
Big Games Raisers
  • Fergie Smiles :keano: always pleasing
Cool Kits
  • Home red kit is awesome
  • 3rd black kit is darn cool
Women Team 2nd season(?)
  • challenging well

Michael T

- We have a manager and several coaches very familiar with the club and the magnitude of the club

- Ole has made his mark by phasing out / selling the deadwood, most of the players we have been moaning about the last 2 seasons (fellaini , smalling, alexis, lukaku, jones, matic... Young looks to be next as he will no doubt bring in an alternative.

- 3 signings so far. All 3 have slotted in very well, and have impressed. Good signings. He was never going to make massive changes instantly, but if he can do this (be allowed to) in the next few windows, he has a great chance to form his own team

- The emergence of more young players being given a chance. Ole recognises the Academy and development plays an important role at Utd

- The manager taking steps to change the culture / attitude problems throughout the club. There appeared to be quite a toxic, overpaid spoilt brat attitude to quite alot of the squad. When they couldnt bothered they just simply didnt show up. Ole appears to be slowing changing this. We are seeing certain players change their attitude on the pitch. it will take alot of effort for some others.
Good post.
I've been watching Utd for over half a century, and I'm really enjoying Ole and his rebuild and clear-out. Loving how we've displayed the quality required to take on the best teams already, and with so much youth.
Imagine Ole puts Haaland in the squad. What a difference he'll make in those battles with 'lesser' teams people moan we keep dropping points against; his presence alone, in penalty areas, whether attacking or defending corners, could make all the difference in breaking down stubborn teams and avoiding dropping points and is something we could really do with in those kind of games I think.
We all know what is missing in midfield, but I'm pretty sure Ole does too, and I trust him to bring in the right players if the board back him.
Imagine a couple of players like Erickson and Grealish joining Pogba in the squad along with Haaland; we wouldn't be that far away from challenging would we, especially when the team we are putting out now has had this season to gel.
It's up to Ole and the back room staff, over the coming months. But for me, right now, I'm enjoying watching something good, something very 'Manchester United' emerge from the doldrums of the past few years, almost akin to the class of 92 breaking through with Fergie. I'm hopeful; and surprised by how many on here are calling for a change of manager before he's really had a chance.

Steerpike

Thank you!

It's really quite refreshing to see something on here that recognises that there is a job to be done, is being done, that it will take time, and that it's unlikely that a 'big name' manager would achieve it faster or better. Ole is making progress - we'd all like it to be faster, of course, but the direction of travel is still positive.

To the original posters's question, I'd add that 4th is still a possibility as is a trophy (not the one we wanted, but nobody seriously thought we'd be in the frame for that anyway).

I hope we can pick up a proven goalscorer and a decent central midfielder in the January transfer window, and then I'll be relaxed about the rest of the season.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Who?? :lol: :lol:
Smalling, Darmian( i think) and Alexis are still under contract. Jones and Pereira signed new contracts. Lingard, Young and Matic are still here. So who is gone ffs?
Darmian plays for Parma now.

lemmiwink

- Rashford is starting to look like he can make the step up to become world class.
- Mike Phelan wearing pants. Mostly.
- Greenwood, Williams, Tuanzebe all showing they can be a part of this squad even if we strengthen.
- We are excellent against good sides.
- Ole takes rebuild and youth development very seriously.
- Signings have been mostly good, jury still out on Maguire though.

meninred

To see how good we are i was comparing our starting eleven with SAFs second team (i mostly went for the recent ones )
..i dont think our current main team is much better than those below..i didnot even include players like Sheringam and Ole as they are superior.

Tim Howard
phil neville
silvestre
brown
fletcher
nicky butt
john oshea
saha
smith
nani
anderson

that tells it needs a real rebuilding

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
To see how good we are i was comparing our starting eleven with SAFs second team (i mostly went for the recent ones )
..i dont think our current main team is much better than those below..i didnot even include players like Sheringam and Ole as they are superior.

Tim Howard
phil neville
silvestre
brown
fletcher
nicky butt
john oshea
saha
smith
nani
anderson

I'd say alot of them would struggle considerably in the modern PL.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Reasons to be optimistic
1. Academy is doing better now and Greenwood especially looks like the real deal. With Scott and Rashford also being more or less first team regulars we have at least 3 starting players there who are academy graduates. Thats great
2. Average age in our starting XI is very low. We can only get better from here. Even "old players" like Fred and Maguire at 26 have just entered their peak years
3. We are great vs the good teams (and shite vs worse teams). Which is frustrating as hell and bad in terms of points haul. BUT i would much rather prefer it was this way over the other way around. Under Moyes especially we constantly got comprehensively beaten by the good teams and we seemed utterly unable to overcome that hurdle. With a bit more experience both for the coaches and the players, and a couple of quality signing in the middle i think we will start to beat the lesser teams regularly as well
4. When we do play well, we are exiting to watch. Fast counter attacks and crisp passing
5. Haaland looks pretty much banged on to sign for us and i personally think he will do great here

I had more than enough of reveling in misery and self pity last season.

Member 113277

Good post.
I've been watching Utd for over half a century, and I'm really enjoying Ole and his rebuild and clear-out. Loving how we've displayed the quality required to take on the best teams already, and with so much youth.
Imagine Ole puts Haaland in the squad. What a difference he'll make in those battles with 'lesser' teams people moan we keep dropping points against; his presence alone, in penalty areas, whether attacking or defending corners, could make all the difference in breaking down stubborn teams and avoiding dropping points and is something we could really do with in those kind of games I think.
We all know what is missing in midfield, but I'm pretty sure Ole does too, and I trust him to bring in the right players if the board back him.
Imagine a couple of players like Erickson and Grealish joining Pogba in the squad along with Haaland; we wouldn't be that far away from challenging would we, especially when the team we are putting out now has had this season to gel.
It's up to Ole and the back room staff, over the coming months. But for me, right now, I'm enjoying watching something good, something very 'Manchester United' emerge from the doldrums of the past few years, almost akin to the class of 92 breaking through with Fergie. I'm hopeful; and surprised by how many on here are calling for a change of manager before he's really had a chance.
I've only been supporting Utd since 1986 (33 years) compared to your 50, but I totally agree with you that it is really interesting watching OGS shape this squad. Having watched the whole SAF tenure, the first few years were up and down - younger supporters, who came later, don't understand how inconsistent our team was whilst it went through rebuilding.

I share your optimism and agree that there is a sense of purpose in what OGS is doing - 3 good players (and a bitm ore experience for the youngsters) makes this a solid top three challenging team, credible enough to win the EPL.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I don't wish to quote myself but I've just posted this in the 12 month improvement thread and I reckon it sits ok in here too. I see more positives right now than in a good few years.

Another way I'm acknowledging seeing an improvement is in my own view of the players and the team.

Roll back to when I first joined on here I remember posting somewhere that for the first time in my 34 years supporting this club I found myself without any on-field heroes. There had never been a time where I found myself not liking almost anyone (DDG aside) that was playing for us. The reasons for this were various, some justified and some not but all the same, I had a very real apathy regarding pretty much all the guys wearing that shirt week in week out.

Roll forward now to present day:

DDG - Not quite the player he was a few years ago clearly, but I still love this guy, top keeper, OUR keeper.
AWB - Can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching a RB make so many amazing tackles. His commitment cannot be questioned.
Maguire - Overpriced? Yes. Worth the money? Not sure. But this guy is a brilliant CB and will be ours for the rest of his career in my opinion. He's the most natural captain we currently have.
McT - Whether he will keep improving and become a top level CM is one thing, but he has rolled his sleeves up and given our midfield some real steel. Love him.
Fred - What a story he's having. Came with a big price tag, struggled, had a very unsympathetic and hard manager but now look. His attitude simply cannot be questioned. He has come back to the point where he is now one of the first names on the team sheet and it's brilliant to see.
Dan James - I don't need to say more. What a bargain. What an engine. Currently my favourite player and he has made such a difference to the balance of our team it's astonishing.
Rashford - For me the jury is still out on what he will become. But fair play to him, he clearly loves this club and puts in a shift every time he goes on the field and has become our most prolific current scorer.
Romero - Best No2 in the world! Handsomest too!

Manager - Say no more. He may be here long term, he may not, but he's looking like the right man for right now.

This is also without saying, WIlliams, Garner and Greenwood are looking fantastic prospects and I hope they eventually make the step up to first team regulars over the next couple of years.

So in a nutshell, instead of gritting my teeth and loving Utd out of loyalty during some pretty average years, watching some pretty average players literally taking the p*ss wearing our shirt, now I have some heroes again. Sure, some of them may not be world class but that doesn't matter. I can see what they are trying to do and how much they are trying.

Ole has done a great job in some respects, reshaping the team by getting rid of some and bringing in 3 great signings, bringing some good old fashioned United'ness back and letting some of the young guys get a chance, but I also am one that feels he has been massively out of his depth at times and I think if we hadn't got some of the results we have recently, he would be under massive pressure rolling into Christmas.

But, I've said before, there are only two ways of getting out of being out of your depth. One way is to drown. The other is to learn to swim bloody quickly and survive. Recent signs are that Ole falls into the 2nd category and I really hope that's the case and this new team, that has players I actually like, does well and keeps improving.

Have we improved in terms of league position and win %? No, of course not. Have we improved in terms of our squad, mood, playing style and general United'ness? Yes, and anyone who thinks otherwise is very wrong.

troylocker

I repeat - child like behaviour, time to grow up
Apology accepted. Now lets end this here before you embarrass yourself further.
Off topic:
Your last contributions to this thread has been such a good read, with so many good points and no hurt egoes. Thank you!

On topic:
One of the things I am excited about is the young, hungry and talented squad we're building. With the right signings in January and summer, I can see us challenging maybe already next season or at least 21/22, and that with a team that will not peak for a few years still. This team will only get better and more consistant!
For me it looks like the club is finally doing it right; no quick fixes or short cuts and stick to the plan.

Last edited:

pacifictheme

Off topic:
Your contributions to this thread has been such a good read, with so many good points and no hurt egoes. Thank you!

On topic:
One of the things I am excited about is the young, hungry and talented squad we're building. With the right signings in January and summer, I can see us challenging maybe already next season or at least 21/22, and that with a team that will not peak for a few years still. This team will only get better and more consistant!
For me it looks like the club is finally doing it right; no quick fixes or short cuts and stick to the plan.
:lol: at the first bit.

And i agree. I think the direction the squad is heading in is the right one. In greenwood and williams i think we could have two regular starters in the next few years from the youth team. We definitely are light in midfield and in wide positions though. Like you say, with the right additions we could challenge. Not sure if ole will be the person to do that though.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Clear plan towards the future. Been relatively quick and decisive, with a few hickups like giving Jones a contract.

Improvement in fitness. We have had huge injury crises every season since SAF left. Haven't been as bad, even with a smaller squad and more intensity in style of play.
That is a positive in it self too. Both in Van Gaal and Mourinho's United we were lethargic and slow. Both had parts of the team working well, but neither of them managed to get us attacking with speed. There is still issues, especially against the lower league sides, but I think the style of play generally lends itself more towards quick passing, more so than the style of Ole's predecessors. It is something we need to not take for granted, because that change is probably hard to do and we're well on the way with this young team I'd say.

Been so many weird things. Mata as a right wing, Rooney in midfield, McTominay at CB, Fellaini as a striker/DM, Young instead of Di Maria, Pogba all over the place, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez and Fred being bought and not played.

I see no more weirdness. I actually like this team now. Sure, some decisions will be wrong but we haven't been a mess, which is something new since SAF left. I think we need to appreciate this, because us not being a complete mess is a lot better than what has been going on for the last years. Should get better results after a while of making good decisions.

Russky14

What is the plan?

Just seen that the Scallies are buying Takumi Minamino from RB Salzburg by triggering a 7m release clause. Not saying this is the right player for Utd but FFS 7m. what the heck are we doing and so what is the plan?

romufc

Tim Howard - DDG is better
phil neville - AWB is better
silvestre - Maguire is better
brown - Linedlof ? the same
fletcher - McTominay improving all the time
nicky butt - Pogba is better
john oshea - Dont know what position you have him playing.
saha - Injury prone
smith - Injury prone
nani - Rashford is better
anderson - Which position you playing him?

That is pretty much a joke.