What are the positives at Manchester United?

MrBest

The positives for me, James and AWB. More James as he was unheard of. It does not take a genius to know AWB was made for us but James has been a steel and has great work ethic. The positives translate to hope for me, if this is the strategy of buying players with this work ethic and potential, then in two years we could have a team to actually compete for 4th place. For me the youth have not been positive as they have barely been given a chance by ole. Getting rid of deadwood has also harmed us significantly in terms of depth, but wage bill wise, we are better off.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
The match-going fans are very supportive and forgiving.

Though some might argue that’s a negative, but for me it’s positive.

Champagne Football

The positives are that we are making efforts to get back to the way we were under Fergie, with Mike Phelan having a huge say on tactics and transfers to slowly head back in that direction.
Playing attacking tactics, signing the best of British exciting young talent, while being open to foreign talent if they fit the clubs philosophy.
I feel we are heading in the right direction, but we have fallen so far behind by appointing 3 catastrophic managers who were all monster disasters for different reasons, that it's going to take time. The positives being if Ole fails, he'll leave a very solid foundation of young talented hungry players for the next guy to improve on.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Positives

Decent crop of youngsters coming through.
Our Defence is actually very good and will get better.
Once we get back a lot of our first team regulars we will improve.
Our back room operation is getting better (sports analysis, physio)

A good foundation is being built, Rome wasn't built in a day etc.

Bestietom

The Academy. We have some great prospects coming through, and IF they make it, we will be a top team again, in a few years.

dove

The positives are that we are making efforts to get back to the way we were under Fergie, with Mike Phelan having a huge say on tactics and transfers to slowly head back in that direction.
Playing attacking tactics, signing the best of British exciting young talent, while being open to foreign talent if they fit the clubs philosophy.
I feel we are heading in the right direction, but we have fallen so far behind by appointing 3 catastrophic managers who were all monster disasters for different reasons, that it's going to take time. The positives being if Ole fails, he'll leave a very solid foundation of young talented hungry players for the next guy to improve on.
This is the biggest proof you don't watch our games. We play anything but attacking, we are more defensive than we were under Jose.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
De Gea / Dean Henderson / Romero
Lindelof / Bailly / Jones / Maguire / Shaw / Wan-Bissaka / Tuanzebe / Williams
Pogba / Fred / Gomes / Garner / McTominay
Martial / Rashford / James / Greenwood

20 players, avg age 23/24. We're not risking loosing any of these except Pogba. This season is write off, next season dont expect more than top four. In that time buy what's needed. Probably 2 central midfielders and an attacker, maybe experienced central defender + squad player(s). Looks fn great!

Champagne Football

This is the biggest proof you don't watch our games. We play anything but attacking, we are more defensive than we were under Jose.
You missed the parts in my post where it says 'we are making efforts to' and 'it's going to take time'.
You need to slow down a little, take a walk, get out of the house for a change.

Roboc7

There’s money being spent on the academy is only positive.

Stadium and first team are being left to rot so at least something has had some investment.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Dan James, Scott McTominay and Wan-Bissaka.

Getting to see the youth get time to showcase their ability, excited to see who we promote next. It might be a bit early for a few of them but I’ve got all the time in the world for them.

Players finally starting to get over their injuries, it might sound like blind optimism but our results will pick up as soon as we can keep Pogba and Martial fit for more than five minutes.

A smaller positive but I’m actually starting to like the look of Pereira, he’s been quietly turning in some very solid performances.

Josep Dowling

Daniel James has been much better than I expected.

Maguire has been solid.

Nice to see more youth players, just a shame they are not able to perform at their best due to all the other issues at the moment.

That’s about it for me.

Ekeke

Money and the sheer mediocrity of most of the squad means the young players should have a good chance to break through. If they dont we're doing something very wrong

Thats it

el3mel

With Southampton and Watford being totally crap it'll be hard for us to get relegated this season. Though still need to reach points needed to stay.

That's about the only positive thing I can think of.

ManuMou

James reminds me of the excitement of seeing the potentials of Rooney/Ronaldo. It has been a while...

The signings are good.

The youngsters are playing.

Players no longer needed have gone.

Wage bill is down.

Players slowly getting back from injury.

We will batter Norwich today.
How is wage bill down a positive?

Also... we could’ve done with Lukaku this year.

As for Norwich today, I’d be amazed.

The positives are the academy and the 3 new signings who look like our best 3 players.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How is wage bill down a positive?

Also... we could’ve done with Lukaku this year.

As for Norwich today, I’d be amazed.

The positives are the academy and the 3 new signings who look like our best 3 players.
RAB, I consider us good friends. Let’s meet for a beer before a game soon and you’ll come away enthralled with Ole.

Mickson

Is it? I look at gomes, greenwood, chong and gardner and think no other top club would have them starting. Not because united are some special case but because our first team squad is so shite and threadbare we need them. I'm not saying greenwood hasn't got a lot of potential, but hes not ready yet. None of the rest are even close.

Look at chelsea. Rlc, abraham and mount all went out on loan and really benefitted from it. They came back ready. Hudson-odoi is clearly just a special talent who forced his way in early, hes better than anything we have.

All 4 of those players are better than our youngsters. Ours are in the first team squad because there is no one else. Gomes and chong should be on loan.
So your point is that United's academy isn't good because Chelsea is involving some youth players in their team?

Also: do you think Tammy Abraham would flourish at United (mind that he is more than four years older than Greenwood)? It's a lot easier playing in that Chelsea team than coming in at United like some kind of savior. For what's it worth, I don't think that Sergio Aguero would make any significant difference in United right now so you can't really expect Greenwood to do that. With that said, he has two goals in three starts if I remember correctly, playing on the wing when he's a striker. Not that bad.

Skills

Snitch
Is that true though?

Sanchez is out on loan only. Lingard is still around. As are Mata, Matic and Young.
You forgot Rojo and Bailly who should be on top of that list.

Mata, Matic and Young at least serve a purpose (poorly mind).

Valuedrug

United still have strong strategic fundamentals. That’s a big positive. Wealth, big stadium, high status due to historic achievements. Maybe a solid academy? I’m a bit less sue of that one, but a lot of people here seem to think so.

So theoretically the situation could change much faster than if we were talking about a mid tier club. Bring in the right manager, and the tide could turn in a few seasons.

The obvious caveat to this is the people in charge. Will they ever choose the right manager and back him both financially and structurally? History suggests they won’t, but there is still hope.

LoneStar

Can't get worse than this, we have hit rock bottom. Only way is up from next season.

It's always the hope that kills you. I have no hope of us doing well this season, so not gonna be shocked where we end up this season.

Total lack of any emotion related to United. Gives me a lot more time to do useful shite instead of browsing United forums (for the most part) :)

pacifictheme

So your point is that United's academy isn't good because Chelsea is involving some youth players in their team?

Also: do you think Tammy Abraham would flourish at United (mind that he is more than four years older than Greenwood)? It's a lot easier playing in that Chelsea team than coming in at United like some kind of savior. For what's it worth, I don't think that Sergio Aguero would make any significant difference in United right now so you can't really expect Greenwood to do that. With that said, he has two goals in three starts if I remember correctly, playing on the wing when he's a striker. Not that bad.
I'm comparing them but no thats not the reason. Greenwood, gomes, garner and chong are not good enough but we need them because of chronic mismanagement of the squad. That doesn't mean our academy is pulling up trees.

I don't expect the youngsters to be ready. Its noy fait on them. But that doesn't mean thry are currently not good enough.

always_hoping

After outlining the negatives of dropping silly points to team United should be beating what are your positives?

For me.

Unbeaten in 6 PL games in a row.

Four points off 4th (Spurs play Chelsea next week) so can close the gap further.

3 goals in 2 games for Greenwood and the time has come to give him more PL game time now.

Transfer window reopening where one or two decent players should be brought in and more dead wood cleared out.

redshaw

A burgeoning squad. Think we'll have a good second half to the season.

It's clear having a threat on either side really is helping.

Josep Dowling

We haven’t lost to any of the top 6 in the league.

The Europa League is allowing a lot of the youngsters to get proper first team experience, which can make us better judge who can take the next step.

Rashford’s improvement

Mason Greenwood

Craig Ward

Is it? I look at gomes, greenwood, chong and gardner and think no other top club would have them starting. Not because united are some special case but because our first team squad is so shite and threadbare we need them. I'm not saying greenwood hasn't got a lot of potential, but hes not ready yet. None of the rest are even close.

Look at chelsea. Rlc, abraham and mount all went out on loan and really benefitted from it. They came back ready. Hudson-odoi is clearly just a special talent who forced his way in early, hes better than anything we have.

All 4 of those players are better than our youngsters. Ours are in the first team squad because there is no one else. Gomes and chong should be on loan.
Hudson-Odoi isn't a regular starter
Mount/Abraham wouldn't be regular starters if it wasnt for the transfer man.
Loftus-Cheek often misses out to Barkley/Kante/Jorginho

Chelsea HAVE to play certain youngsters due to a transfer ban.

Stop comparing us to other clubs, each club has they're own issue's and circumstances. We have ALWAYS integrated youth, whereas Chelsea in particular don't. It's not comparable

Craig Ward

Positives:

Young players starting to become important team members, playing with confidence and showing real promise, notably:
McTominey
Rashford
Wan-Bisska
James
Martial

While there are major works to be done on the transfer front, i've been happy with the out-goings thus far, but feel this trend HAS to continue.

The squad on a hole needs to be re-shaped almost entirely.

Players that still need to leave:
Pogba
Lingard
Young
Jones
Matic
Mata
Rojo

The development of Greenwood has been a big plus also.

I think we are possibly 2 key signings away from having a transformed team, a lot of our draws could have been wins had it not been for lack of creativity for example. A Maddison or Eriksen make us so much better.

Ole has my trust, we are heading forward. The January window needs to be used well, Matic looks likely to leave and i'll be glad when the Pogba show finally pisses off so we can stop pretending he's some world class saviour who is going to make us great again.

Some competition for Martial who badly needs it, and also some midfield additions and we are looking much better squad wise

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You're pushing it.
How so? Pretty clear his output has got better, already got 13 goals this season which equals his two best seasons.
Season​
Total Minutes​
Total Goals​
Min Per Goal​
15-16​
2101​
12​
175​
16-17​
3068​
11​
279​
17-18​
2676​
13​
206​
18-19​
3291​
13​
253​
19-20​
1784​
13​
137​

pacifictheme

Hudson-Odoi isn't a regular starter
Mount/Abraham wouldn't be regular starters if it wasnt for the transfer man.
Loftus-Cheek often misses out to Barkley/Kante/Jorginho

Chelsea HAVE to play certain youngsters due to a transfer ban.

Stop comparing us to other clubs, each club has they're own issue's and circumstances. We have ALWAYS integrated youth, whereas Chelsea in particular don't. It's not comparable
Quoting a 2 month old post. Oook.

Ironic you say don't compare us to other clubs and then compare us to chelsea anyway.