Music What are we listening to?

Superunknown

Found this band in a Spotify playlist. Japanese Dreampop/Shoegaze/Rock. It's wonderful. Been listening to them all weekend.

Hitsujibungaku - 1999

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Haven't stopped listening to War on Drugs for the past month. Them and Future Islands, who im going to see in Cambridge next Tuesday.

iammemphis

That'll be cool dude. Had Singles on this morning and forgot how good an album that is. Good energy to it. Enjoy the gig.
Thanks mate, yeah im buzzing for it to be honest! There's a few amazing tracks on that album for sure. No point singling one of them out :lol:

Superunknown

New Slowdive album is out! On my third listen already. It's wonderful.

Haven't stopped listening to War on Drugs for the past month. Them and Future Islands, who im going to see in Cambridge next Tuesday.
That'll be cool dude. Had Singles on this morning and forgot how good an album that is. Good energy to it. Enjoy the gig.
I saw Future Islands last year and saw The War On Drugs this year. Both gigs were brilliant. How was it for you?

There's something moreish about both of them. Could easily have their stuff on loop all day.

iammemphis

I saw Future Islands last year and saw The War On Drugs this year. Both gigs were brilliant. How was it for you?

There's something moreish about both of them. Could easily have their stuff on loop all day.
I have had War on Drugs complete collection on random today and can enjoy every single one of their tracks. I have heard of them for a few years (since Holding on was on the FIFA soundtrack and it became my favourite song) but never really listened beyond red eyes. Since i watched their Glastonbury set on iPlayer i have been kicking myself it took so long to get into their other stuff because they've just finished a european tour. Now I'm going to have to wait a year or two to see them, but when i do i know its going to be special.

Future Islands i have been telling everyone they were great live, but in truth i was abit disappointed. 10/10 for performance value and i loved the music and all the tracks no question, but the feckers took "Hit the coast" off their setlist for the first time in months, when its my favourite song, and also his voice was struggling to hit the high notes, which i wouldn't mind so much but he also insists on singing out of time to the music on every song and sometimes i just wanted him to sing it how im used to hearing it :lol: . I spent the days after just listening to the albums because i will always love those tracks no matter what.

Superunknown

I have had War on Drugs complete collection on random today and can enjoy every single one of their tracks. I have heard of them for a few years (since Holding on was on the FIFA soundtrack and it became my favourite song) but never really listened beyond red eyes. Since i watched their Glastonbury set on iPlayer i have been kicking myself it took so long to get into their other stuff because they've just finished a european tour. Now I'm going to have to wait a year or two to see them, but when i do i know its going to be special.

Future Islands i have been telling everyone they were great live, but in truth i was abit disappointed. 10/10 for performance value and i loved the music and all the tracks no question, but the feckers took "Hit the coast" off their setlist for the first time in months, when its my favourite song, and also his voice was struggling to hit the high notes, which i wouldn't mind so much but he also insists on singing out of time to the music on every song and sometimes i just wanted him to sing it how im used to hearing it :lol: . I spent the days after just listening to the albums because i will always love those tracks no matter what.
Keep a look out for when they do tour/gig in the UK next. They seem fairly active at the moment and they've got a good fanbase here. The gig that I went to in Brighton was packed and they got a superb response. All depends on when they go back into the studio to record. It'll be worth it, though. Under The Pressure was huuuuge when they played that. The actual recorded track is great, but they superseded it with the version they played that night. When it kicked back in...wow.

That's so annoying they took that track off! Tbf, they've got a pretty decent repertoire, so there's always a chance something you like won't make the setlist. It's a good thing in a way that they have so many great songs, but it is tough to fit them all in. I completely agree with you on the singing - he is a completely free spirit in that regard. :lol: :lol: The gig I went was amazing and you couldn't quite predict what he would do next, which probably doesn't always work. But, it's exciting. I feel like you could see them 3 times and get a different experience each time.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Radio Caroline by Miss Kitten, never gets old.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

The Slab is sooo good, but why does it have to end with a fade out instead of building to a more satisfying conclusion? Kinda disappointing, but it sounds fantastic either way so I can't complain too much. Chained to a Cloud is just totally lovely, as is Prayer Remembered, but I felt like it was building to a big wall of distorted guitars, so again, a little disappointed with how that one ends.

I'm struggling a fair bit to get into the rest of the album, so for now, self-titled is still much better than this one overall, IMO.

Superunknown

The Slab is sooo good, but why does it have to end with a fade out instead of building to a more satisfying conclusion? Kinda disappointing, but it sounds fantastic either way so I can't complain too much. Chained to a Cloud is just totally lovely, as is Prayer Remembered, but I felt like it was building to a big wall of distorted guitars, so again, a little disappointed with how that one ends.

I'm struggling a fair bit to get into the rest of the album, so for now, self-titled is still much better than this one overall, IMO.
I've been listening to it a lot since release. Been listening to the new Chemical Brothers album too...I've had that one on an absurd amount of times!

I really like Everything Is Alive. I do think it flows well as an album rather than having just a serious of standout tracks. I can't say I have any real complaints over this. It's got that classic Shoegaze sound, with minor elements of 80s style New Order and goth rock here and there. Alife is my personal favourite track - it's outstanding, imo. Although, I love them all. I do think this will be an album that grows with more listens, and I imagine it sounds even better live.

Listening to the album right now whilst typing this out. It's nothing short of brilliant, in my opinion. It's got great replayability because it's just a shade over 40 minutes.