What are your Expectations for Next Season?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Was thinking of calling it "What Would you Settle for?" but that seems a bit arrogant and spoilt.

Obviously its a time of change at our club, new manager, new backroom staff and from the sounds of it, quite possibly a busy summer on the transfer market.

So what, quite simply, is the minimum expectation for Moyes in his first year at United?

Will we settle for nothing less than the treble? Will CL qualifications be enough? How about the FA cup? Or is the only important thing that we play some good, attractive attacking football?

Personally I wouldnt like to see us finish below 3rd. Realistically City and Chelsea are both going to be right up there, but I do think we should still be able to place above the likes of Arsenal and Spurs. Not getting out of the group stages of the CL would also be a pretty major disappointment.

lysglimt

Scout
Was thinking of calling it "What Would you Settle for?" but that seems a bit arrogant and spoilt.

Obviously its a time of change at our club, new manager, new backroom staff and from the sounds of it, quite possibly a busy summer on the transfer market.

So what, quite simply, is the minimum expectation for Moyes in his first year at United?

Will we settle for nothing less than the treble? Will CL qualifications be enough? How about the FA cup? Or is the only important thing that we play some good, attractive attacking football?

Personally I wouldnt like to see us finish below 3rd. Realistically City and Chelsea are both going to be right up there, but I do think we should still be able to place above the likes of Arsenal and Spurs. Not getting out of the group stages of the CL would also be a pretty major disappointment.

It's a bit hard to say as we have no idea what players are coming in and out - both at United and the other topclubs.

I expect that we fight for the title and make C.L without too much trouble. If we do that, it's a decent season in terms of the league. And I expect us to reach 80 points or at least be really close - you can't expect too much more from Moyes in his first season

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Title challenge and a good run in CL, we may not win either but I fully expect us to be good in both and have a good go at it. It's a transition period but there's no reason why with this squad we shouldn't expect the team to compete for trophies.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
League, anyway. I think Moyes needs to hit the ground running and develop the team in his own image. Fergie has moulded the club but Moyes can mould the team.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Anything less than a good title challenge and knockout stages in the CL will be a massive failure.

Not fair, but it's a fact.

Even if we achieve both but end up empty handed, Moyes will be under immense pressure. He desperately needs a good 1st season.

Castia

I expect us to challenge for the league at least. I think we are a bit off in terms of challenging for the Champions League at the moment but getting to the knockout stages and going from there should be the plan. Not to fussed about the cups to be honest. Next season focus must go on the league, it's Moyes first year it wont go down well if City or Chelsea steal the league tittle.

Backrow Singer

To win the Premier League. Anything less at the club is a failure. No matter what's going on outside the club, you ask any senior player at United and they will tell you that anything less is acceptable. Finishing second simply isn't good enough. It won't be easy though, and we are in as difficult as a position as we have ever been in with regards to retaining to a title. Look at Manchester City. When they won the league, they started the following season with pretty much the same squad they finished it with. As soon as you win a title, you enjoy it, but the first thing you do is kick on from that. You look at where you can improve and you go out and do something about it. It's that relentless streak that has out us in the position we are in, and why we are where are. Moyes can gain all the respect he wants from the players, and he can build all the principles he wants, but people will judge him on football matches. If he doesn't deliver, the media will be on his back from the off, and that's what he's got to deal with. At Everton, the expectations were relatively low. He is in a completely different world now.

European wise, it won't be easy. It will take him a season to adapt to European Football, and tactically what needs to be done to win games. Champions League football is a whole different kettle of fish than the Premier League and as I say, it will take him a while to adapt to that and to find his feet at that level. Anything less than the Quarters will be classed as a disappointment though.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Treble. Expect nothing less....

Revan

Assumptionman
Minimum expectations:

- Finishin in top 3
- Passing the group stage in UCL

Realistic expectations:

- Winning the league
- Quarter finals of UCL

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Maybe on reflection my expectations are too high, my revised expectations is to avoid relegation.

dogrob

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
At the moment wait and see what happens these are new exciting times for United its pointless right from the go expecting wonders, but if/when we do win something important then it will be all the sweeter for that.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I think we will finish second behind Chelsea. I would like us to take the fight until the final or penultimate game though. It will be asking too much from moyes to win it on his first try. I like to see us reach the semis or final in the League cup and the quarters/semis in the FA cup and also the quarters in Europe. That will be a satisfactory debut season for moyes in my opinion. Building a good platform for his second season and onwards is what I expect from him. I just hope our owners are not as greedy, desperate and/or impatient as Chelsea's and City's. Having said that, it would be superb if he can win the FA cup next season. That would be considered a very good first season for him in my opinion.

Castia

Great debut season winning feck all and losing the league to Chelsea? Im not expecting miracles from the guy but that would be a terrible season. He needs to win the league at the very least, first season or not come next summer if we are no longer the champions and Chelsea/City are people wont be happy.

Dante

Average bang
82+ points in the league.

A European exit to one of only Barca, Real, Bayern, Dortmund, PSG or Juventus but nobody lesser.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
3rd and a decent run on CL

or

Out of all cup competitions, and focus on the League.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
After Fergie, we need continuity and stability. So I hope we keep on playing succesful, good football and challange for trophies

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
To win the Premier League. Anything less at the club is a failure. No matter what's going on outside the club, you ask any senior player at United and they will tell you that anything less is acceptable. Finishing second simply isn't good enough. It won't be easy though, and we are in as difficult as a position as we have ever been in with regards to retaining to a title. Look at Manchester City. When they won the league, they started the following season with pretty much the same squad they finished it with. As soon as you win a title, you enjoy it, but the first thing you do is kick on from that. You look at where you can improve and you go out and do something about it. It's that relentless streak that has out us in the position we are in, and why we are where are. Moyes can gain all the respect he wants from the players, and he can build all the principles he wants, but people will judge him on football matches. If he doesn't deliver, the media will be on his back from the off, and that's what he's got to deal with. At Everton, the expectations were relatively low. He is in a completely different world now.

European wise, it won't be easy. It will take him a season to adapt to European Football, and tactically what needs to be done to win games. Champions League football is a whole different kettle of fish than the Premier League and as I say, it will take him a while to adapt to that and to find his feet at that level. Anything less than the Quarters will be classed as a disappointment though.
You should have been around when we were relegated.

NoLogo

My expectations are direct qualification for the CL, the knock out rounds of the CL and maybe an FA-Cup semi final.

I think next season will be quite competitive because Chelsea and City will put up a much bigger fight then this season.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Other clubs hire new managers and expect success, so we should too. That's not to say he's getting the sack if we don't win the league, but we should challenge. Some people seem to view both us getting a manager as well as our rivals getting new managers as reasons why it could be a difficult season. You can't have it both ways.

Red_Aaron

We need to be in the shake up come the business end and show everyone were as competitve as ever even if we dont actually win anything. Having said that even a league cup win would go a long way in turning some of the Moyes doubters in his favour and can only boost his confidence too

Personally I'd love an FA Cup, it's been too long since we've landed that. And seeing us play with a proper midfield again would be nice!

Ole'sbodyguard

I'd expect United to challenge for the title with the squad Moyes will inherit from Fergie with or without Rooney.

As for CL, we should qualify for the knockout phases and anything from there would be a bonus in his first season in the competition.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Challenge for the Title - within 5 points and I'll be happy.

Past the group stages of the UCL and from there depends on the draw.

FA Cup depends totally on the draw as ever, we could get Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the 3rd round. Well technically we couldn't, we'd need to be relegated to League One for that privalidge.

I think a lot of my expectations depend on who we bring in and who leaves though. We need 3 big signings to complete this squad for the coming season.

Castia

You have to remember that City and Chelsea are also getting new managers. If people are happy for us to come 2nd or 3rd and see a new manager win a league in their first season then they must be mad.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We have to be looking to win the title either way. The club appointed Moyes because they felt he was good enough for the task, therefore it's no good to say anything like top 3 would be good for his first season. If City and Chelsea finish ahead of us and have very good seasons themselves after a tight 3-way race, then I'd say it'd be a disappointment instead of a failure, but there's no doubt that if we don't challenge and take it to near the end that it'd then be a failure. Not because of the size of the club or the usual expectations; simply because our current side is one that really should be challenging at the very least.

Varun

Staff
Title challenge and a good run in CL, we may not win either but I fully expect us to be good in both and have a good go at it. It's a transition period but there's no reason why with this squad we shouldn't expect the team to compete for trophies.
This.

With our squad, we should compete on all fronts.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Minimum expectations:

- Finishin in top 3
- Passing the group stage in UCL

Realistic expectations:

- Winning the league
- Quarter finals of UCL
This.

But we need to strenghten our squad with two quality players after Scholes retirement and Fletch recovery period. Fellaini/Strootman and Thiago and we are favorites again. If we lose Nani and Rooney we need Bale or similar. Only Zaha and two young academy players is not enough. I expect both Chelsea and City to strengthen heavily so we need to do the same.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You have to remember that City and Chelsea are also getting new managers. If people are happy for us to come 2nd or 3rd and see a new manager win a league in their first season then they must be mad.
Yep, this seems to be being overlooked.
The top 3 are all in the same boat, and whatever money city and Chelsea lash, they'll not find it super easy to hit the ground running.

We'd all like to be signing a top player this summer, but that's the same every year, however long your manager has been there.

I wouldn't be too unhappy with just keeping the same squad, not losing too much flair in Nani and Rooney

Rowem

gently, down the stream
- Win the league (or at the very least come bloody close trying)
- Quarter Finals or better in the CL
- A victory in a domestic Cup would be excellent. Especially if we don't win the league then it's important we come out with at least one trophy.

Thoraximus

Latin for deep throat
We'll come 2nd in the league next year, but win the FA Cup.
We'll win the champions league in the next few years too.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Win the league. Why not? Everyone's on a big downer with Moyes, and all I'm reading is how City and Chelsea will be back next season. News flash - they've got instability in terms of managerial change too.

City have a manager untested in the PL yet everyone assumes he'll take to it like a duck to water. Certainly not guaranteed.

Yes, Mourinho at Chelsea gives them a boost, but their squad needs big work to sustain a title challenge, and the top end of the PL is much stronger this time round, compared with his first spell when it was set up for them to dominate. Also, Mourinho's lost his lustre after this season - didn't look a very special manager for vast swathes of this campaign - fact is, he comes back to England as a relative failure.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
The difference is that Chelsea and City both sacked their previous managers so clearly they feel the person they bring in will be BETTER. Fergie on the other hand, was not sacked, he retired, and with the greatest respect to Moyes we are not getting someone BETTER, as the person we had previously was the best.

City is questionable, but for Chelsea, getting Jose back is not a transition or a negative, it is a big boost to them and I expect them to be favourites for next year.

MDFC Manager

The difference is that Chelsea and City both sacked their previous managers so clearly they feel the person they bring in will be BETTER. Fergie on the other hand, was not sacked, he retired, and with the greatest respect to Moyes we are not getting someone BETTER, as the person we had previously was the best.

City is questionable, but for Chelsea, getting Jose back is not a transition or a negative, it is a big boost to them and I expect them to be favourites for next year.
Yes, but we also won the league with 11 points (should have been more even). We're not going to drop off massively just because Fergie retired. We'll certainly be challenging for the title and be there or thereabouts at the end. Moyes isnt a dummy and our squad is very likely to be improved further before the season starts.