What can Ole do with the current squad of players to help us improve?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Come out and admit that he is unqualified for the job. Then resign and become part of our transfer committee.

If not, aspire to be like Lampard. Make us play attractive football and get rid of that counter attacking philosophy.

Switch back to 4-3-3, play Pogba higher up, encourage full back to join the attack, push the back line higher so we become more compact, introduce Fred into our squad along with Mctominay to give Pogba less defensive responsibility, learn to pass our way though opposition via quick passing,and avoid man oriented pressing; instead team oriented pressing. Not that hard. Ole makes being a coach child’s play.

red4ever 79

Get rid of Carrick and McKenna and get two well qualified coaches in to actually coach the team. Would also like him to bite the bullet and play the kids, dont revert back to Matic, Mata, Lingard and Young

beingshe7don

Come out and admit that he is unqualified for the job. Then resign and become part of our transfer committee.

If not, aspire to be like Lampard. Make us play attractive football and get rid of that counter attacking philosophy.

Switch back to 4-3-3, play Pogba higher up, encourage full back to join the attack, push the back line higher so we become more compact, introduce Fred into our squad along with Mctominay to give Pogba less defensive responsibility, learn to pass our way though opposition via quick passing,and avoid man oriented pressing; instead team oriented pressing. Not that hard. Ole makes being a coach child’s play.
Touche!

Crashoutcassius

The bare minimal for me is implementing a play style. I don’t understand how he’s had half a season where there was zero expectation and was essentially a massive 19/20 prep, which all fans accepted.

But here we are 9-10 months later and we still look clueless in style of play. What is our play style?

God only knows whether he’s actually happy with the squad, especially with his blind faith in ‘Rashy’ suddenly turning into a 30 goal striker. The board definitely deserve all the ire in the world aimed at them for penny pinching and being god awful slow at transfers... but if he is genuinely content with this squad then feck me.
I agree... but it's more like it's been 6 years and 5 managers and we haven't been able to implement a style... it is mad.

Hughie77

Oles got a squad that's learning, along with himself, is a massive hill to climb, and he thinks he can do it? I think the job is to big for him, he's got the gig until next season I think at least.

He cannot improve what we got, unless he changes style of play, we cannot go long haven't got a hold up player, he has to try and pass his way through, with a pressing game that's not working. Counter attack is fine but if there's no space it's not going to work.

Playing teams that play two banks of 4 or 5, it's going to be a tough way through it. We haven't got the patience to do it, passes rushed wrong ball, slow movement etc etc.

Ole needs to take a long look at it. And he has to play Pogba further up the pitch I think to do it.

Enigma_87

You know who
$400m. The Glazers are selling Class A shares to fund him.

A third of that would be for attending coaching courses.

Jackal981

Every single day of that tumescent match performance is tarnishing his legacy here

Sir Scott McToMinay

Every single day of that tumescent match performance is tarnishing his legacy here
Really?
Maybe only for younger people who weren’t around for 99.
I obviously think he is way out of his depth but even if he got us relegated it wouldn't make me have ill feelings towards him, let alone damaging his reputation.
The Camp Nou euphoria is timeless and I don’t believe anyone will ever win the CL in such a manner for a long long time, if at all.
We were beyond blesses to experience it.

RedWat

How Can Ole help to improve the squad? well he needs to be true to himself, if he has the necessary self belief to coach and inspire the players he has to work as a effective unit in the way he desires for it to be done.

He needs to look at the first dozen odd games when he was caretaker when the team could do no wrong and ask himself “how much was I responsible for that upturn” ??? or was it the players “released” from the shackles of JM’s straitjacket playing system and this was reflected with a freedom of playing for the first dozen games, did Ole stringently coached the presser system into them or just said to them “go and play”. After the first dozen odd games that freedom of playing fizzled out like a 2nd hand sparkler.

He needs to know that if he hasn’t got the necessary tools to do the above with the squad, has he got the faith in his coaching staff to help him achieve the above??

He also needs to know that he has full support from Ed & the Board to improve the squad as necessary(and change the coaching staff if necessary also). Not just in giving amounts of money the board (wrongly) believes will be enough to keep him and the fans happy(I’m sure Ole wanted to replace Lukaku and some of the midfield, rather than the Lukaku money used to buy Maguire).

If he does not believe he/his coaching staff can do the necessary coaching to inspire the team(and he cannot change the coaching staff) or he does not believe he has the backing of the board (does he believe the board chose him and see him as a cheap option “yes” man that the board believes will keep things ticking over whilst the profits continue to roll in, as it seems trophies are not the top priority for the club.(This is why it seems why they went back on their word and not wait to make an management appointment at the end of last season or even appoint a DoF to help Ole with footballing matters )

If he believes he doesn’t have the capabilities or the board support,then he should stand down and resign at the earliest opportunity he sees fit.....for his own good.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What are you guys' suggestions? if you had a chance to talk to Ole and offer ideas on how he could better the current performances given the resources we have at the moment.
I would tell him to not put too much focus on the importance of experience to get him through games, but rather focus on creating a balanced team for each purpose. It is a lot easier to make a player accept he isn't getting game time if the team you put out is winning. Nobody is happy when we're losing and he is putting a lot of pressure on himself by overcomplicating a few things. Get a balanced team out there and we're more likely to control the game.

Balanced means a team that has a bit of everything. If the team looks decent but Shaw doesn't provide the right balance, then play Williams instead. If the team looks blessed with pace and power but you need a player like Mata in there to find pockets, don't play Mata and sacrifice speed just play Gomes or even Garner in a midfield 3. I feel like we put a bunch of players in on experience when in reality they aren't in our plans and don't fit the style of play.

Martialfc

I’d like to see us revert to 4-4-2 with playing:

DDG
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire Williams
Dalot Pogba Mctominay James
Greenwood Martial

Will never happen though...

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Wenger yesterday said we need 4 players:
Arsene Wenger :"Now it is too horizontal. Side to side. Backward. Nobody to beat a defender and force chaos, force a one-on-one. They need an overlapping full-back. They need a destroyer. Four players and they can be challenge everything."He added. https://t.co/XAaVgbmqZG

That s a Dm
A fullback
A Rw
And a striker
He's absolutely right, we all know that. Well drilled defensive units can handle us easily by sticking to their tasks. How do you make them fold? You beat a man. Force the next defender to leave his task to cover, causing the chaos that Wenger is talking about. That's why adding quality ie Sancho to our attack was so vital in the summer. We don't have the player to do this.

What we do is try to cheat our way around this, effectively, by trying to play on the counter. We're trying to create situations where we don't require skill to pull players out of position. The only problem is that everybody is wise to it now and it's easily avoided.

Of all the 4 problem areas identified, this is the most important.

always_hoping

1) Stop giving starts to Mata, Young and Matic and start giving a few premier league starts for the likes of Greenwood, Gomes and Williams which will prove Ole has real trust in youth and stop his habit of relying on slow experienced players that are finished at this level

2) Lingard playing the number 10 role be stopped immediately

3) Pereira as a winger is a total waste of time. Play him in a central position or don't play him at all.

4) try to find some leadership among that panel of players

5) tell Rashford that he hasn't made it yet and has much to learn. Take him off free kicks and corners.

6) stop playing two central defensive midfielders against mediocre teams as it only invites on pressure and gives them confidence to get a result.

7) Play Pogba in a more advanced role and stop forcing defensive duties on him.

8) Many of these players seem to be made out of glass. Injury prevention should be a high priority

Winmove

When he go into winning run , it was still Jose teams , the players were still used to Jose coaching , formation and tactic,they just downtooled under him before to get him sacked. After few months we are finally turn into Ole team which arguably the worst ever football i have witnessed from United.

SweetRightFoot

What can he do to improve the players?

Play them in the right positions for a start.

Stop playing Rashford up front, he's a winger.

Stop playing Pogba in a 2 man pivot, he's a world class attacking talent.

Stop playing Lingard as an attacker, he's maybe a wingback?

Stop playing Young, Matic, Perreira at all and only bring Mata off the bench if we have to.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Okey

Coach them. Properly. At least that way we'll have a chance, and only get beaten by quality, ala Burnley. Not enough time to point out the myriad examples of poor coaching but just take our RW when James moved there against Rochdale. So many times James received the ball, AWB just stood behind him watching. No movement beyond him to pull a player away and create chaos, in Wenger's words. A move Citeh has perfected so well, leading to the inevitable worldie delivery from KDB. Coach them properly. Or get coaches who can. Or own up to a task beyond you and walk away honourably...

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The thing is we could use Ole to push Ed out. Obviously Ed knows this and will make sure to cover his own ass. If Ole succeed he will take the credit and if he fails he will fire him and give a try with someone else, while nothing really changes. That is why perspective is key when I'm backing Ole. Even if he is not the right man long term, he is the best interim manager we could hope for and until Ed is gone, that is actually what he is for us.

The amount of work needed with the squad is clear. Jones, Mata, Young, Rojo still here? Herrera, Lukaku, Fellaini, Carrick, Rooney etc have all gone without replacements. We have built a squad then tore it down, then the same shit next year and the next year until Ed gives up and decides to save money and not risking losing players on a free, giving contracts to the likes of Rojo instead of buying new players. This was going to be a shit season, Ed is a huge problem, and he is afraid to give up his power, so you can bet he makes sure Ole is the one people think of as responsible when results don't go our way this season. Ole is merely a scapegoat on a leash, and the fans suck it up totally forgetting about Ed, the cause for the mess we're in.

If we only focus on the performances, I'm not convinced about Solskjaer and the coaches but we've seen patterns of play both in preseason and in the first few games. After that settled 11 broke up with Martial going off injured, Pogba going out and Matic and Mata getting more minutes things have turned to shit. How is that the coaches fault? There is a much bigger picture here we're all forgetting about. Season is a write off, but we should show that our support to Ole is unconditional in these times until Ed is gone, so Ed can't use failure now as an excuse to continue. We can and obviously should change our stance on Ole once Ed is out, if he hasn't performed up to standards but first thing first.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He needs to get rid the idea of playing 4231. Back to 433 formation or diamond when we need to against certain opposition & same playing style where he used to go on the route of winning like last season in December to February.

James - Martial - Greenwood
Pogba - Fred - McT
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Bissaka
DDG

Rashford can mix in with either James or Greenwood as rotation.

Stop playing Mata & Pereira and I don't think they should be on the bench either, we should have move on from them. They have nothing to offer, absolutely horrible with lack of end product, I don't even know how they even get their new contract when last season they did nothing.

And in January, signing Mandzukic as Lukaku''s replacement for plan B, we need a plan B striker if Martial is injured or he's off form. Rashford is not good enough to be no 9 while Mandzukic will offer different dimension to both Rashford & Martial. And also sign Herrera's replacement, McGinn is my realistic shout.

Un4givableB

The thing is we could use Ole to push Ed out. Obviously Ed knows this and will make sure to cover his own ass. If Ole succeed he will take the credit and if he fails he will fire him and give a try with someone else, while nothing really changes. That is why perspective is key when I'm backing Ole. Even if he is not the right man long term, he is the best interim manager we could hope for and until Ed is gone, that is actually what he is for us.

The amount of work needed with the squad is clear. Jones, Mata, Young, Rojo still here? Herrera, Lukaku, Fellaini, Carrick, Rooney etc have all gone without replacements. We have built a squad then tore it down, then the same shit next year and the next year until Ed gives up and decides to save money and not risking losing players on a free, giving contracts to the likes of Rojo instead of buying new players. This was going to be a shit season, Ed is a huge problem, and he is afraid to give up his power, so you can bet he makes sure Ole is the one people think of as responsible when results don't go our way this season. Ole is merely a scapegoat on a leash, and the fans suck it up totally forgetting about Ed, the cause for the mess we're in.

If we only focus on the performances, I'm not convinced about Solskjaer and the coaches but we've seen patterns of play both in preseason and in the first few games. After that settled 11 broke up with Martial going off injured, Pogba going out and Matic and Mata getting more minutes things have turned to shit. How is that the coaches fault? There is a much bigger picture here we're all forgetting about. Season is a write off, but we should show that our support to Ole is unconditional in these times until Ed is gone, so Ed can't use failure now as an excuse to continue. We can and obviously should change our stance on Ole once Ed is out, if he hasn't performed up to standards but first thing first.
Ed not going anywhere, as long as the money keeps rolling in. His boss could care less about winning games of football. Our only hope as fans is that Ed accidentally appoints a good manager after dumping Solskjaer.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Ed not going anywhere, as long as the money keeps rolling in. His boss could care less about winning games of football. Our only hope as fans is that Ed accidentally appoints a good manager after dumping Solskjaer.
He hasn't seen much sustained pressure from the fans and media though? If the fans actually united and took it as a collective travesty if Solskjaer was fired Ed wouldn't have a way out, he would be the talk of the town until it either gets better or he gets removed. Ole's boss doesn't care about winning games anymore than the owners do, except for the money that it generates when we're winning.. So how can we expect Ole (or anyone else in his position) to get anything done when we know this. Appointing a good or bad manager isn't really the problem, and it has been showcased since SAF went and Ed came in. We have had decent managers, but they all last about 2 seasons after getting a shit squad inherited with no time to fix it. All our managers have had their fair share of the blame out in the open, but there is a lot of legitimate excuses for them too, which sadly gets downplayed due to people giving Ed too little credit for his part in this mess.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
So he does care?

The Urban Goose

Get rid of Carrick and McKenna and get two well qualified coaches in to actually coach the team. Would also like him to bite the bullet and play the kids, dont revert back to Matic, Mata, Lingard and Young
This.

One of Fergie's strengths was to ensure he was assisted by the best possible coaches. Our coaching at the moment is clearly not up to scratch.

SaintMuppet

Do we have enough midfielders to go 433 every game? Nah I didn’t think so.

He needs a witch doctor to get any more out of some of our players unfortunately.

Playing a bit faster would be a start.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We should be playing a classic 4-4-2 against every team we play against other than the top sides. If teams are going to sit back and obsorb pressure then we need more players in the box. We will also have a little less of the ball in a classic 4-4-2 which should open our opponent up for counter attacks. I just don't get this obsession with playing a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

----------------------De Gea--------------------
AWB-------Lindeloff---------Maguire-----Shaw
James-------McTominay---Pogba-----Greenwood
-------------Rashford--------Martial----------------

This line up is better than every team in the league other than the top clubs. In those tougher games we can switch to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. It's also a system that Ole obviously knows. I don't know why we are so dead set against playing the formation that won us so many titles in the past...

DSG

Sad to see so many members of the Caf give one line replies. The OP put a lot of thought into the thread. Although I don’t agree with all of the analysis, it takes time and thought to put that together.

Those that gave a one line response like “err, coach them” clearly have little understanding of the tactics of the game and we should really take most of their comments in other threads as uninformed. Yet, they can criticise the manager, the club, the players with little to no understanding of the game.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Move Lindelof into the back of midfield and find a new partner, maybe Axel Tuanzebe, for Maguire. Even better, get the squad a new coach.

DSG

The issue is how we unlock organized defenses.

A 4-3-3 requires an elite ball control specialist, creator and facilitator as one on the wing players or as one of the midfield 3. Messi on Barca or Sane and Salah on Liverpool. Both Silva’s play that role on City.

Mata, at his peak, could play that role to some extent, kind of a poor man’s David Silva. He’s not that player anymore.

A midfield diamond with Martial and Rashford as strikers and a classic no.10 at the top of the diamond could be devastating. But again, we don’t have that 10. If we had gotten Dybala, that would have been interesting to see.

I don’t think we have the option to play without Greenwood with all the injuries we have. He’s the only true finisher we have in the squad, with maybe Martial as the only exception.

I will throw this out there: 3-4-3

DDG
Tuanzebe Lindelof Maguire
AWB Fred McTominay Shaw
Greenwood Martial James

I know. You are leaving Pogba out. But he cannot be a part of a midfield two. It’s not in his DNA.

Otherwise, I think the other options have been discussed.

I do not think Dalot can function as a RF in a 4-3-3. Doesn’t have enough goals in him, and his touch, passing and crossing are not tight enough (for now)to play there.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The issue is how we unlock organized defenses.

A 4-3-3 requires an elite ball control specialist, creator and facilitator as one on the wing players or as one of the midfield 3. Messi on Barca or Sane and Salah on Liverpool. Both Silva’s play that role on City.

Mata, at his peak, could play that role to some extent, kind of a poor man’s David Silva. He’s not that player anymore.

A midfield diamond with Martial and Rashford as strikers and a classic no.10 at the top of the diamond could be devastating. But again, we don’t have that 10. If we had gotten Dybala, that would have been interesting to see.

I don’t think we have the option to play without Greenwood with all the injuries we have. He’s the only true finisher we have in the squad, with maybe Martial as the only exception.

I will throw this out there: 3-4-3

DDG
Tuanzebe Lindelof Maguire
AWB Fred McTominay Shaw
Greenwood Martial James

I know. You are leaving Pogba out. But he cannot be a part of a midfield two. It’s not in his DNA.

Otherwise, I think the other options have been discussed.

I do not think Dalot can function as a RF in a 4-3-3. Doesn’t have enough goals in him, and his touch, passing and crossing are not tight enough (for now)to play there.
I like a 3-4-3 a hell of a lot better than I like a 3-5-2, but the problem is our FB's (wingbacks) don't offer enough going forward for it to be effective. They are more like classic FB's than the modern day "winger turned into a FB". They are good/great defensively, but their crossing leaves much to be desired so I don't think that formation would work with Shaw and AWB...

caid

Our full backs aren't cut out for playing higher up the pitch. Maybe if dalot was fit it'd be more appealing. We dont have a midfielder who wouldn't embarass themselves covering the defence on their own, so 2 are needed. The options we aren't using are much the same as the ones we are further forward.
I think i'd probably pick more or less the same team as him every week. I think i'd tell them to play more or less the same way. Rashford, Martial and James amongst others are just a hell of a lot more suited to counter attack. We dont have alternatives banging on the door to play another way.
Were playing about as well as I expect this group of players to play, so i dont think theres much solskjaer can do. He should avoid having more than one of Matic and Mata in midfield, that'd probably help.

Marcus

He should ensure that they play to his instructions. If they don't, even he has told them to stick with the plan from the sidelines, substitute the player off immediately. Even in the first half.

Eoin McMahon

He's simply not good enough im afraid and his inability to get this team to play a certain way and have a clear gameplan during games after 10 months in charge and a full preseason to do so is a disgrace.
He is out of his depth here and no progress has been made in the last year. i hope he can turn around and give us a brand of football that fits the team otherwise Pochettino has to be our next manager and I believe he is the only man that could really change this club into club that can compete once again.

If Ole can get top 4 this season it would be the best we could realistically hope for but unless team performances pick up then he has to go in the summer.