Music What concerts/gigs are you going to?

Ludens the Red

Seeing Green Day in June
Out of curiosity how much did you pay for a ticket?
I saw them in June 2022 for 85£ in the London stadium with weezer and fall out boy. They’re playing at Wembley (a worse venue) two years later with a weaker support and the ticket is 220£. How the feck does that work? You’re a punk rock band and you’re allowing that to happen, greedy cnuts. feck Greenday.

Sounds good.

Reading through the pages of this thread and it all seems to be bands from when I was young (20 odd years ago). Do new bands not exist or are they all just shite?
I think rock music is so different from other genres. For one there’s so many sub genres. And you tend to get phases of those sub genres picking up popularity (metalcore atm, nu metal back in the late 90’s). Also it takes a long time for rock bands to build up their rep so even when you think a band is new you’ll find they’ve been making albums for ten odd years. It’s rare to get say a Royal Blood type band who just immediately burst onto the scene and get all the big AirPlay and high festivals spots.

And then on top of that popular rock bands are constantly evolving and producing great new material (Metallica’s last album for example) hence why people will constantly see them over and over again. Rock fans are also the most loyal fans of all the music genres so they’d be happy to see the same band for 50 years if they can.

A lot of bands are also crossing over all the rock sub genres. Take Bring Me the Horizon (who Imo are one of the best out there atm in terms of studio and live music) every song they put out is so different to the last so you can’t even place a lot of bands into one bracket which is why when you listen to the radio nowadays everything seems different and you’re left maybe thinking “where’s the hard rock/thrash metal” etc..

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Out of curiosity how much did you pay for a ticket?
I saw them in June 2022 for 85£ in the London stadium with weezer and fall out boy. They’re playing at Wembley (a worse venue) two years later with a weaker support and the ticket is 220£. How the feck does that work? You’re a punk rock band and you’re allowing that to happen, greedy cnuts. feck Greenday.

I think rock music is so different from other genres. For one there’s so many sub genres. And you tend to get phases of those sub genres picking up popularity (metalcore atm, nu metal back in the late 90’s). Also it takes a long time for rock bands to build up their rep so even when you think a band is new you’ll find they’ve been making albums for ten odd years. It’s rare to get say a Royal Blood type band who just immediately burst onto the scene and get all the big AirPlay and high festivals spots.

And then on top of that popular rock bands are constantly evolving and producing great new material (Metallica’s last album for example) hence why people will constantly see them over and over again. Rock fans are also the most loyal fans of all the music genres so they’d be happy to see the same band for 50 years if they can.

A lot of bands are also crossing over all the rock sub genres. Take Bring Me the Horizon (who Imo are one of the best out there atm in terms of studio and live music) every song they put out is so different to the last so you can’t even place a lot of bands into one bracket which is why when you listen to the radio nowadays everything seems different and you’re left maybe thinking “where’s the hard rock/thrash metal” etc..
Maybe so.

One of my colleagues surprised me the other day when she said she was going to see Blink 182. I couldn’t believe they were still on the go….but they are, still on the go and still talking on stage about fingering each others mums, despite now being in their forties :lol: :lol:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I was at Ocean Colour Scene on Friday. The band were staying in the same hotel as us and I got to say a quick hello to them before we went to bed

The singer (Simon Fowler) was in a bad way. Clearly needs a new hip although he held up well during the show. But he was also very hammered. The drummer I saw briefly who popped down to the front door of the hotel to grab a dominos' off a delvieroo driver

And they played again in Dublin the following night. Fair play to them

Gavinb33

Got Noel Gallagher tickets for next summer, hopefully the baby gets a bit easier so I won't feel like a complete wanker for leaving him for a day over the next few weeks so I can get to a few more gigs

Last edited:

decorativeed

The line ups for both Primavera Sound and Cruilla this year looking bleak.

Who the feck still listens to Avril Lavigne ffs.
Festival lineups are increasingly looking like a bunch of second rate nostalgia acts and the other 50% made up of bands that I've never heard of. I know I'm getting old, but my kids aren't listening to any of the new stuff either, as what we've heard is incredibly dull and uninspiring.

Moby

Dick
Festival lineups are increasingly looking like a bunch of second rate nostalgia acts and the other 50% made up of bands that I've never heard of. I know I'm getting old, but my kids aren't listening to any of the new stuff either, as what we've heard is incredibly dull and uninspiring.
Yeah. I'm sure there would be a few underrated gems in there but you can't have such utter dross big hitters.

Mad cool looks a bit better with Pearl Jam but that's just because they were my favourite band throughout my childhood so I'd always have a special place for them but otherwise that stuff shouldn't be out there anymore.

Will still likely be there but definitely not spending much time on the main stages.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Went Hardstyle Superheroes last night in the O2 academy Glasgow, some of the videos.

MiceOnMeth

Kings of Leon in the summer hopefully if I get a ticket and the prices are extortionate (90€ max)

Moby

Dick
Won't be going :( but all I can say is this year's Coachella is likely gonna be the third greatest ever. Oh mother. Miyawaki Sakura is gonna descend _/\_

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Was at the colours 29th birthday party last night in the SWG3 - Ferry Corsten, Sneijder, Will Atkinson and Maria Healy, honestly one of best night I’ve had was dynamite, barred from YouTube untill Thursday so will put videos on so as I can

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Going to see Two Door Cinema Club tomorrow, looking forward to it. Enjoyed their music for years, regularly in Fifa games... And I much prefer the smaller venues with about 1000 capacity than the big concerts so that suits bands like them.

onemanarmy

Idles on Saturday.

Got tickets for Massive Attack, Graspop (Turnstile, Graveyard, Judas Priest, Kadavar, Corrosion of Conformity, Biohazard, Fu Manchu...), Sjock (Bad Religion, Sick of it all, New bomb turks, Civic...)

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Going to see the Pixies on Saturday which might be weird as they just sacked Paz Lenchantin and now have a new bassist.

She was fantastic I thought so its a realy shame

decorativeed

Going to see the Pixies on Saturday which might be weird as they just sacked Paz Lenchantin and now have a new bassist.

She was fantastic I thought so its a realy shame
Really? First I've heard of that. And I agree, she was great when I saw them last, although nobody can ever truly replace Kim Deal.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Was at the colours 29th birthday party last night in the SWG3 - Ferry Corsten, Sneijder, Will Atkinson and Maria Healy, honestly one of best night I’ve had was dynamite, barred from YouTube untill Thursday so will put videos on so as I can

https://youtube.com/shorts/1JJYQQrhMY8?si=WJQMcZy9ea3JU0K_

https://youtube.com/shorts/v-vLGFWKSqo?si=BgbLaRfX6hGmIc4R

https://youtube.com/shorts/rFNyU2Avr6Y?si=Xp6YUdulrLtnb-06

https://youtu.be/oKqRDHLi2Uc?si=fTP0Zflql6-2PmZj

https://youtu.be/ebpnAG_cDNA?si=Zi-9kfE0hJE0DTld

https://youtu.be/FipfDr177E4?si=gGY2KOYhnv8v3GHB

Last weeks videos

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah. I'm sure there would be a few underrated gems in there but you can't have such utter dross big hitters.

Mad cool looks a bit better with Pearl Jam but that's just because they were my favourite band throughout my childhood so I'd always have a special place for them but otherwise that stuff shouldn't be out there anymore.

Will still likely be there but definitely not spending much time on the main stages.
That’s gas. Did a search for Pearl Jam and you were one of the first hits. Literally the last person on here I’d expect to be into them! Anyhoo. Have you heard the new single? A real return to form IMO. I’m going to the Dublin leg of their new album tour and was a bit worried about whether the new stuff would be any good but this is excellent.

Moby

Dick
Literally the last person on here I’d expect to be into them
It's cute that you think you know what you can expect from me
A real return to form IMO. I’m going to the Dublin leg of their new album tour and was a bit worried about whether the new stuff would be any good but this is excellent.
I've had half a mind to go to Mad Cool where they are playing. Let's see

MiceOnMeth

So many I'd like to see this summer:
Kings of Leon
Pearl jam
Blink 182
James Blunt
Coldplay
p!nk
sum 41
Taylor swift!! :(

So far only ticket I've gotten is Kings of Leon

The prices of tickets in Ireland really puts me off going to anything though.

CoopersDream

I'm seeing John Mayer on Tuesday. Not really thrilled about it being acoustic, but it's never not a good time to see Mayer play the guitar for two hours. Last time I saw him it pretty much was the best gig I've ever been to.

In about two months it's Taylor which obviously will be the concert highlight of the year.

Then in June I will probably check out Dinosaur Jr, and then it's Chelsea Wolfe and Tool as well. Later in the summer it's festival time with Queens of the Stone Age, Slowdive, PJ Harvey and The Smile being the highlights as of yet.

CoopersDream

That’s gas. Did a search for Pearl Jam and you were one of the first hits. Literally the last person on here I’d expect to be into them! Anyhoo. Have you heard the new single? A real return to form IMO. I’m going to the Dublin leg of their new album tour and was a bit worried about whether the new stuff would be any good but this is excellent.
Didn't know they had new music out, but it felt pretty mid to me. They're feckin brilliant live though, but they're not coming anywhere near me this time unfortunately.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Ignoring the obvious ridiculous prices for big gigs these days, I'm finding even smaller acts in small venues are charging way over the odds.

The Midnight in Bristol Academy and Twin Atlantic in Cardiff Tramshed, both ~1000 capacity venues, asking about £35 a ticket. Wasn't that long ago that you were paying sub £20 a ticket for those sorts of gigs, while £35 was getting a standing ticket for The 1975 or Catfish and the Bottlemen in an arena.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Real Estate in Leeds October, quiet year so far but to chalk off Beach Fossils and Real Estate in the same year makes me happy :)

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Nick Cave in Oberhausen in September. Really looking forward to it.

CoopersDream

I'm seeing John Mayer on Tuesday. Not really thrilled about it being acoustic, but it's never not a good time to see Mayer play the guitar for two hours. Last time I saw him it pretty much was the best gig I've ever been to.
Incredible again. The O2 is a good concert place I gotta say, or maybe it was just so this time. Sound was really exceptional.

I was a bit lukewarm to this concert beforehand, but it was fecking great. Such a good live performer and just immaculate guitar playing. Some songs that I hoped would come didn't but on the other hand I got to hear some I did not expect so it was all good.

Moby

Dick
Enjoy not going to MadCool :mad:
:lol: My loyalty is foremost!

But please help a brother out! I'm seeing if I can find something soon-ish so that I can also book the travel etc. It's a decent line up for sure, and I've always had watching Pearl Jam in my bucket list so will be nice. Do you know the venue and is it good? The one where they do Primavera Sound and Cruilla here is great, love that place. Might get a ticket just to go and chill there and not care about Lana Del Rey crying about summertime sadness :lol: