What did you call this when you played football as a kid?

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
And when or where did you get forced into using it?

I never had one so it was always some younger kid who brought it out when all other balls were absent.

Often seen flying over the caravan site.

We called it a 'floater'.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Ah, that was always a 'flyaway' to me. Use restricted to wherever my parents had dragged me to on holiday. Always used to move around in the air like the knuckleball freekicks players started doing a good few years afterwards. :)

Reactions: Fortitude

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Floater. Had plenty of fun smashing them in the wind. Very unpredictable and useless

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
We called it shit

Jules_T

That was the default football in the playground. Soft enough that we couldn't hurt anyone.
If we played with anything better it was called a casey

Reactions: Fortitude

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I called it the real ball and professional leagues should use it. I hate the others that hurt my foot whenever I kicked em, this one was different and brought the best out of me.

If it's the official ball I would have gone professional. It made me a god tier juggler.

Fener1907

With the right wind, the flyaway was your best chance at creating Robert Carlos' Tournoi de France freekick.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Air floater or floater.

I remember bringing one in in primary school. It felt so good finally being the kid with the ball - I was ready to accept the adoration of my peers. We started playing and it immediately got kicked into a tree and refused to come down.
That was the day I learnt that life is one big disappointment.

Bowlcut11

We always called them 'windcatchers' but that might be a Northern Irish thing!

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
With the right wind, the flyaway was your best chance at creating Robert Carlos' Tournoi de France freekick.

It would never curve the way it was supposed to though- it would start as a Roberto Carlos and end up as a Beckham!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
"flyaway" and the moment when you realised that you could control the direction of curl on it by reversing the usual method was mind blowing.

SaintMuppet

Yeah that’s a floater...

Useless in almost all scenarios.

Would shoot in an ‘s’ so you could take advantage of this and occasionally score a worldie.

Last seen...In the river/ocean...Disappearing over the neighbors wall/allotment/greenhouse.

‘You kicked it you fetch it’

Thnx for the flashbacks of having to climb into some scary folks garden and fetch it before they saw me...

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Aren't those the ones that if you knew what you were doing you could hit massive swerve free kicks?

As a left footer I could hit the ball on the right edge with my smaller toes and it would fly off to the left before swerving massively into the right corner of the goal if you got it right.

Bestofthebest

We called it a windy ball because it behaved like there was howling gale even if there was no wind at all.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Floater for me which actually did teach me how to bend a ball until I was old enough and strong enough to use a real football.

Having said that, my favourite ball was from 2002 - the Scorpion Nike football. The silver ball and or the Geo Ball Brazil endorsed in the airport Ad in 1999