What did you call this when you played football as a kid?

big rons sovereign

That was the default football in the playground. Soft enough that we couldn't hurt anyone.
If we played with anything better it was called a casey
Yeah, flyaway. But a Casey was an old 'leather' ball where all the panels had been scuffed off.

miked99

I remember having to learn the skill of utilising a hot teaspoon to melt the plastic, in order to cover the inevitable puncture as soon as it got within 50 yards of a rose bush

redshaw

What happened, man!? The booze and the high life dashed your technique?
We just got bigger balls to play with and those skills faded away before the drink drugs sex and rock n roll of our teens.

IrishMcD

We used to call them ‘Balloon Balls’ due to the way the travelled through the air, which ironically enough is also the non-medical term for what I ended up with when my uncle misjudged the flight of one of these cnuts and instead volleyed me straight in my nuts! True story.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Crappy air ball made of plastic / poor man's ball / "you won't break anything with this ball-kick as hard as you can" ball (outdoors)

Tolerable only for beach football.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
We used to call them ‘Balloon Balls’ due to the way the travelled through the air, which ironically enough is also the non-medical term for what I ended up with when my uncle misjudged the flight of one of these cnuts and instead volleyed me straight in my nuts! True story.
Ouch!

IrishMcD

I remember this kid. Once the ball kicked him hard in the face, everybody laughing, when he recovered he kicked some ass. True story:lol:

Now he's either a boss or in jail! I bet.
That wasn't me, when I recovered I slowly limped back inside and applied a bag of frozen peas to the swollen area and moaned for about a week. Haha

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Rashford somehow recreates the trajectory of those balls with every free kick he takes.

Anyone ever use these?

Get one of those in the face on a cold day and you knew about it.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Ah, these pics of other balls made me want to find one I loved at high school but no joy so far on google. :(

It was a purple and black thing with the classic hexagon shapes only they were printed on and not actual stitched panels. They were a lot heavier than those flyaway ones, possibly even slightly heavier than a regular ball. They seemed to be highly pressurised too and they'd bounce higher than normal in the cages we were playing in.

The ball had a slightly rubberised texture too which I loved because they'd give good 'grip' to your feet when shooting. Can't really explain it too well, but if you wanted to do a curler or put some swerve on it I liked grippier balls in general rather than slippier ones as I felt you get better purchase on them rather than them sliding off your foot almost.

That's why I liked playing with slightly clapped out proper footballs more too, where the panels were beginning to get scuffed up. Not only would they grip your feet, but also the ground so you could put spin on a pass and have it bounce to the left or right slightly more like a spin bowler in cricket. With a brand new shiny thing that wouldn't happen and it would slip through off the surface more without changing direction as much. Got an Adidas Tango Scorpion when I was a kid and hated it for that reason at first on grass, when it began to get slightly worn it was brilliant.

Last edited:

Dan_F

Yeah it’s a floater. We ended up having to use that or a foam one as ball games were banned on our estate. I guess endless hours of playing wallie against someone’s house pissed them off.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Balloon when we were kids. I loved the echo sound it made when you booted it. Worst ones were those hard plastic things if you got them Kicked against your cold legs. We had the old leather ones that laced up too. Lethal for headers when they got wet.