What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
This tranafer window has been great, but it will be truly mindblowing when we sell players and use those funds. Say we sell Henderson, Dalot, Williams, Lingard, Pereira, James, (Jones), players who aren't really bringing much added value to the club, that's easily 80-100 million euro's.

Use that money for Rice/Phillips/Ndidi/Neves and Trippier. Next year, we can go all out for a keeper/striker.

We need to sell.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
With Sancho and Varane already, I'd like to see a betterm deeper lying option in MF as a lot of others have already said but I still think we need another top drawer striker to really compete. Cavani, top class, but he won't be able to play every match this season.

Devil may care

The Sancho and Varane signings are fantastic business and the story that we'll let Jones leave for free would be another smart move. Axel going on loan seems likely and I think we've made a hole for ourselves with the goalkeeper situation. We can still sell the 5 below though.

Lingard
Pogba
Matic
James
Pereira

With the funds from that we can invest in midfield, we're being linked with Camavinga, Saul, Neves, Goretzka and even Aouar has been mentioned, so it feels like Ole wants midfielders that are good on the ball, which is good news. If Pogba goes we should be looking at 2.

Crashoutcassius

A sensational window now would be a young midfielder and to move on either a few players for small money or martial / pogba for decent money. At the moment I think it is an okay window as our largest problem remains

ShinjiNinja26

Assuming Pogba leaves then ideally we need 2 midfielders(Saúl, Neves) and then some competition at RB(Trippier). Although we’ll need to shift some players on before making further signings to clear the wage bill as well as raising some cash in the process.

MadMike

I think we should sell Pereira, Lingard and Matic (Pogba too if he doesn’t want to renew for a reasonable salary) and buy two MFs so that McFred can become squad players rather than starters.

I still think we desperately need a capable DLP at #6 and a better all-action player at #8. Locatelli and Kessie would be great. Neves might do too if Locatelli is set on Juve. Camavinga for Kessie would be sweet as well.

Those 4 players are all available for €30-40m and any 2 of them would considerably improve our midfield.

MrSingh2002

Need a CDM and CM if Pogba leaves.

In terms of CM I can't really see much better than Neves or Kroos. Kroos might be past his best but he likes United and has still got enough to offer us for the next couple of years.

I don't think the current generation of CMs are anything to write home about.

sugar_kane

Pogba Leaves - DM, CM, RB

Pogba Stays - DM, RB, Striker

100% Trippier for the RB, and I think we will get him whether we get a midfielder or not.

DM/CM still not really sure, I like what I've seen of Rice but could be too expensive. Neves could be a cheaper option. Camavinga I'm not really sold on as it sounds like he doesn't really want to come to United, not a great sign to be honest if so.

If he was smarter or had better advisors he would have kept that nugget to himself and kept his options open, he's only 18 he shouldn't be ruling out anyone right now. If a club like United is offering a first team place he should be jumping a the chance, similar to Haaland/Sancho/Bellingham going to Dortmund even if they know their longer term destination lies elsewhere.

For striker I think Ings could be an excellent budget shout in this window, he's out of contract in a year and despite being out a chunk of the season had a strong goals per minute ratio last season - comparable to Vardy, Son, Bamford and DCL.

kirk buttercup

Pogba Leaves - DM, CM, RB

Pogba Stays - DM, RB, Striker

100% Trippier for the RB, and I think we will get him whether we get a midfielder or not.

DM/CM still not really sure, I like what I've seen of Rice but could be too expensive. Neves could be a cheaper option. Camavinga I'm not really sold on as it sounds like he doesn't really want to come to United, not a great sign to be honest if so.

If he was smarter or had better advisors he would have kept that nugget to himself and kept his options open, he's only 18 he shouldn't be ruling out anyone right now. If a club like United is offering a first team place he should be jumping a the chance, similar to Haaland/Sancho/Bellingham going to Dortmund even if they know their longer term destination lies elsewhere.

For striker I think Ings could be an excellent budget shout in this window, he's out of contract in a year and despite being out a chunk of the season had a strong goals per minute ratio last season - comparable to Vardy, Son, Bamford and DCL.
Camavinga Would be a great signing. But as you say he has eyes for Madrid So I want someone who wants to play for United . Funny thing he would probably be better off as an emerging player signing for us as Madrid could end up in their financial situation becoming the New AC Milan and fade into Mediocrity for a few years without the financial backing to sign their Galacticos .

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Personally, I like trippier but the price wanted is not realistic. So I’d rather keep Dalot than Williams.

CM/DM is where it’s at.

justsomebloke

As great as business has been so far, the list of things still needing to be done or clarified in the next month is horrenduous.

- Goal. Are we really going into another season with two GKs who both think they should be No 1? Indications are Henderson is the preferred choice, but De Gea apparently wants to stay and fight for his place. Can he nevertheless be moved, or at least loaned out? where? His reputation has devolved to the point where he may no longer be seen as good enough for the kind of clubs who could conceivably afford at least most of his astronomical salary.

- Loan for Axel Tuanzebe. Here things seem to have been happening, so high hopes for that.

- Is Eric Bailly going to be a happy camper, after having signed a new contract and been promised more playing time only to find himself dropped to 4th on the depth chart? He knows he can look forward to getting roughly the same number of opportunities Tuanzebe got last season, barring any major injuries to other players.

- Phil Jones. Apparently some interest (West Ham), but United wants a transfer fee, which no one so far has been prepared to offer

- Do we bring in Kieran Trippier, or another RB? Clubs miles apart in public valuation, but that may not mean that much if it comes to it. Atletico must know they're not going to get that kind of money, if Trippier insists on leaving.

- What do we do with Dalot? There's apparently real interest from AC Milan and possibly others, but if we don't buy a RB, he's the obvious fallback option.

- Loan for Brandon Williams? It looks obvious he's plateaued and is not going to benefit from another season of barely making the United bench. Southampton keen, but balks at 2m loan fee.

- Does Pogba stay? If PSG want him, how much can they afford to pay for him? When would the offer come, and would it allow us to replace him? Can he be persuaded with a bigger contract offer? can he be kept and then signed during the season if things go well?

- Pogba replacement, if necessary. Talk of Goretzka, which I'd applaud. And of Saul Niguez, which I find it really hard to feel good about. Can a deal for a major player be done quickly enough if Pogba goes?

- Defensively inclined midfielder. If OGS is serious about moving to 433, we seriously need one. Actually, we need one in any case: Someone who is more a natural in the sitting role than McTominay or Fred is. Sadly, Camavinga does not seem to want a PL move. Declan Rice appears to be priced out of range.

- Nemanja Matic. Is there still a role for him?

- Knock-on effects in midfield. If we keep or replace Pogba AND bring in a defensive midfielder, then it's not just a question of whether there's a place for Matic, there's also a question if there's a place for someone like DvdB.

- Jesse Lingard: West Ham interested but won't pay the 30m United is asking for, Lingard himself sounds like he wants to stay.

- Andreas Pereira: United want 10m, not finding any takers.

- Anthony Martial: Agent have been told to explore possible destinations, nothing concrete so far. Guessing this is a deal United would do if the right offer comes in, but don't feel they have to do. I'm also guessing that if he leaves, we'll keep Elanga for depth and otherwise rely on Greenwood and Rashford as alternatives to Cavani.

Last edited:

Lemon Moon

Need a CDM and CM if Pogba leaves.

In terms of CM I can't really see much better than Neves or Kroos. Kroos might be past his best but he likes United and has still got enough to offer us for the next couple of years.

I don't think the current generation of CMs are anything to write home about.
Kessie from Milan looks a solid Central midfielder.

sugar_kane

Austin's not entirely wrong* but he's a twat for saying so, it's not at all kosher to criticise a fellow professional's ability (especially one you played about a week ago). I'd say save it til he's a pundit but doubt anyone is going to employ him as he can barely string a sentence together.

*to clarify, I think AWB is the best one on one tackler in the league by some distance but I think he's massively overrated as a general defender - his man marking his abysmal and he just seems to completely switch off sometimes.

The tackling is spectacular but can you think of any other top class full backs whose entire game was built around being able to do flashy sliding tackles?

PoTMS

Realistically speaking, we can get Trippier and Neves in and Pogba out without affecting our net spend. Camavinga on top would be a bonus. I'd be more than happy with the below lineup.

------------------------Henderson---------------------
Trippier-------Varane-----Maguire------Shaw
------------Camavinga-----------Neves-------------
Sancho----------------Bruno-------------Rashford
---------------------------Cavani--------------------------

gorky_utd

I think Lingard and Dalot will be sold, coupled with loan move for Pelistri, Williams. Jones and Pereira I have no idea. The money from lingard and Dalot transfer will be probably used for Trippier. Don't think there will be any movement for a midfielder unless Pogba leaves.

croadyman

Quite simply DM who can break the lines with passes and Trippier, shut up shop and then all in for Edi's replacement next summer along with maybe Pogba's IF he does stay on and leave on a free as I expect him to do

BoltonWanderer

Supports
Bolton Wanderers
Selling Pogba helps clarify the formation but if he does go, the most important position is an improvement on Fred. I like McTominay already but when you look at how few games he's played, he's got potential to be a serious player but you need someone better alongside him. That's the key part of the team to improve upon, someone who is solid defensively, runs a lot, can pass and be a threat going forward too.

I still think a world class striker makes all the difference too. I like Cavani a lot but it's a gamble as to whether he can play week in, week out. I know it's easy to say this but signing Harry Kane would be massive, United would have the best first 11 in the league then but without a top striker, you're still looking at being the 3rd/4th best team.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I still think a world class striker makes all the difference too. I like Cavani a lot but it's a gamble as to whether he can play week in, week out.
Now we're virtually guaranteed Varane I think this is our most gaping issue now. Everyone seems to be focussed on MF, which I won't deny we need upgrading, but I think relying on Cavani will be our biggest obstacle to challenging. He's amazing and I'm so glad we signed him but I'd like to see someone else sharing the burden. Much as I'd love Greenwood to push for that role I don't think he's quite there yet.

Devil may care

Pogba staying or going should have no bearing on signing a midfielder as he can't be trusted in there anyway, it's bad enough if one of McFred are starting regularly next season but both of them is unforgiveable.

Fletchageddon

With Rashford out for first 3 months of the season Martial is going absolutely no where. He will be our LW.

Rob Bowman

Say what you want about Ole, but clearly we are finally close to a team. The *ONLY* positions with any questions over who starts/quality is RB and DCM. I am assuming the 4-3-3 Ole has talked about adopting, but this is such a radical change from where we have been for years since SAF. In addition to Ole credit shouyld go to Fletcher and Murtough.

Now I am flexible on who we get for those 2 positions but as i see it a few bodies need to be moved out to get the clarity on how we might be able to solve these last two issues.

Oh I am buzzing :devil: