What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Bestietom

I would rather buy one quality than just buying 7 non quality or someone need years time to be developed to be quality. To me, Rice and Raphinha will be my personal priority as I watched them played and they are good enough for us. Is it realistic, I think it’s still realistic because we had 150m net spent in 19/20 season. Both Rice and Raphinha would cost about the same or less. As for Pogba’s replacement, we could offer him a new contract or replace him with Kessie who is also free in the summer.

Realistically we are not going to sign a new centre back unless if we sell Maguire or Lindelof, if we sell them then that’s a money we can use to buy a new centre back. The same with full backs, we have 4 full backs now and we need to sell first before we buy. That’s how we works in the past, sell first before buy. That’s realistically how this club works. If you think we will just sign centre back or full back without selling first then it’s not realistic. As for striker, we won’t sign an expensive striker with ronaldo around and if we lose Ronaldo then again another money we can use to buy a new striker as him and Cavani are on high wages.
Realistically if we want Top players, then we may get 1 and then have to settle for young prospects. We need about 5 top players but we are not going to spend 500 million or more this summer.
We need to pick up players for 25/30 million or less. These players are out there, but our board will need to be convinced.

Rocknrolla69er

United cannot sell the main players they need to shift due to massively over loaded contracts, we won't be getting a lot in fees received.

The best we can hope to do is start being sensible and releasing high earners, get the pay structure back in order where's the likes of lingaard, Jones and Henderson aren't on 100k plus a week.

Release Pogba, Matic, Mata, Cavani, Lingaard

Hopefully sell Bailly and Martial.

Then recruit very wisely with a big emphasis on signing the right mentalitys. Winning mentalitys with consistency. On sensible contracts.

Devil may care

Get one from each list below and we are in solid building shape, anyone expecting half a dozen signings and a PL title challenge is in for a disappointment, this club and squad is like a classic car that needs a thorough stripping and restoration.

#6 - Tchouameni/Kamara/Rice/Palhinha
#8 - De Jong/Vitinha/Caqueret/Fabian Ruiz/Bellingham/Ramsey
#9 - Schick/Gouiri/Isak

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think one key ting people are missing this summer that makes it different to many before. This is a summer, where it isnt just who we choose to release, a large part of that is actually out of our hands with the contract situations and other elements.

Pereira is already going

Pogba, Lingard, Greenwood, Cavani are very likely to leave

Henderson, Bailly, Mata, Matic, VDB, Martial. A fair few of these may ask to leave

Thats potentially ten players leaving regardless of what we wish to do.

For differing reasons, I am really not bothered about any of them leaving either.

Personally think we should certainly add Dalot, Williams, Tuanzabe and CHong to that list, thats 14 potential exits (I wont even add others I would without doubt like to sell who play very regularly and I dont rate much at all)

The main thing is though, I really cant see how our exits doesnt reach double figures, it certainly needs too.

There is a good £100m of transfer fees for me with that lot, let alone huge huge savings in wages for next season.

So I disagree we cant go out and spend money this sumemr and sign 5/6 players needed.

There are some potentially good free transfers such as Kamara, Kessie, Romagnoli. There are players this summer who will be at the last year of there contract such as Arujo and Moukoko. There are players moving for reasonable transfer fees from there clubs this summer like Haaland and Adeyemi. There are lots of talented playes in the French league like Caqueret, Giouri, Doku. Sulemana, Ugochukwu.

Of course enticing those players to our club, especially without Cahampions league football next season, isnt easy, bound to be competition. But for me, we can go out and sign a Bellingham or Rice and still potentially sign another 4/5 players with a net spend not far over £100m, far under with the saved wages.....and have a compact squad of 25players that progresses us a lot.
That’s my way of thinking too

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I think one key ting people are missing this summer that makes it different to many before. This is a summer, where it isnt just who we choose to release, a large part of that is actually out of our hands with the contract situations and other elements.

Pereira is already going

Henderson, Bailly, Mata, Matic, VDB, Martial. A fair few of these may ask to leave

For differing reasons, I am really not bothered about any of them leaving either.

Personally think we should certainly add Dalot, Williams, Tuanzabe and CHong to that list, thats 14 potential exits (I wont even add others I would without doubt like to sell who play very regularly and I dont rate much at all)

The main thing is though, I really cant see how our exits doesnt reach double figures, it certainly needs too.

There is a good £100m of transfer fees for me with that lot, let alone huge huge savings in wages for next season.

So I disagree we cant go out and spend money this sumemr and sign 5/6 players needed.

There are some potentially good free transfers such as Kamara, Kessie, Romagnoli. There are players this summer who will be at the last year of there contract such as Arujo and Moukoko. There are players moving for reasonable transfer fees from there clubs this summer like Haaland and Adeyemi. There are lots of talented playes in the French league like Caqueret, Giouri, Doku. Sulemana, Ugochukwu.

Of course enticing those players to our club, especially without Cahampions league football next season, isnt easy, bound to be competition. But for me, we can go out and sign a Bellingham or Rice and still potentially sign another 4/5 players with a net spend not far over £100m, far under with the saved wages.....and have a compact squad of 25players that progresses us a lot.
Did Man Utd ever bring in more than 3 quality players/first team players in summer before for the past 10 years? I have a hard time to believe the recruitment department can handle the workload on top of finding a new manager and also sell unwanted players.

jesperjaap

Did Man Utd ever bring in more than 3 quality players/first team players in summer before for the past 10 years? I have a hard time to believe the recruitment department can handle the workload on top of finding a new manager and also sell unwanted players.
Well some hav ebeen split with January transfers. But this summer we did three, we have done 3 or 4 quite a few of the period after Ferguson, not been the right transfers in the lone one and always seems to be oen really poor one.

I do agree with you about gettign all the work done and not having trust in the way our club is ran currently. There have been changes though.

Again the most important part though.....there are several players at hte end of cotnrcts or wanting to move this summer, hasnt been the case any window I can remembe rthe numbers possibly wishing too

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We signed Di Maria, Falcao, Herrera, Shaw, Rojo and Blind in the summer of 2014 with a smaller recruitment department in comparison to the one we have now. Van Gaal was also appointed the new United Manager.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
There is no way we let 10 players leave, and we definitely won’t sign that many. It’ll be the usual 3-4 in and you’ll see contract renewals for a lot of unpopular players. A couple of midfielders and a striker, maybe yet another CB or RB.
Even if we had a major overhaul you’d write off next season too while they all settled, especially with a new manager. It just isn’t going to happen. It’s pie in the sky FM wet dream stuff.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We signed Di Maria, Falcao, Herrera, Shaw, Rojo and Blind in the summer of 2014 with a smaller recruitment department in comparison to the one we have now. Van Gaal was also appointed the new United Manager.
That and Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Bailly in José's first season.

croadyman

Get one from each list below and we are in solid building shape, anyone expecting half a dozen signings and a PL title challenge is in for a disappointment, this club and squad is like a classic car that needs a thorough stripping and restoration.

#6 - Tchouameni/Kamara/Rice/Palhinha
#8 - De Jong/Vitinha/Caqueret/Fabian Ruiz/Bellingham/Ramsey
#9 - Schick/Gouiri/Isak
Yeah you are absolutely spot on about needing one of them from each position

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We also need a winger because by next season we will only have Sancho, Rashford, and Elanga.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nkunku should be considered as a wide forward option for us, and we might be able to get him for a reasonable price from Leipzig.

CraftySoAndSo

I know the rumors might not be true but the stories about the players calling Chris Armas ted lasso reminds me of when the Arsenal squad would mock Emery behind his back. Arteta then came in and got rid of people like Auba and Ozil despite of their talent (waning admittedly) and influence in the squad. And bought in players who many mocked for not having the quality, but do have the attitude and mentality and could get top 4 this season weather you think deserved or not. Now over the last 10 years we've done both the glactico route and Ole's project of buying the right mentality, but neither worked. And ultimately both failed because we put people in place at a coaching and scouting level who were not up to the job. Hopefully we've learned our lesson and be more ruthless in cutting ties with those who aren't up to the task either ability or mentality wise. Even if the rumors aren't true the mentality of this team is still awful.

Jericholyte2

I think we could/should take advantage of the free transfer market.

Kessie, Kamara and Rudiger all without a transfer fee should be no brainers to add strength to midfield and CB depth (Rudiger to start alongside Varane), with Kessie and Kamara replacing Matic and giving more DM options.

NoPace

Swap rarely occur, but I'd be intrigued by something like Maguire + 30M for Joao Felix. He might do well in a deeper line and Simeone seems to like Prem defenders if he's going for Cash to replace Trippier. Felix hasn't worked out there, but he's got a ton of talent and could grow into being a false 9 as he gets stronger in his mid 20s. We'd also have to sign a conventional 9, but they could fight it out and then Sancho/Rashford/Amad/Elanga on the wings.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Nkunku should be considered as a wide forward option for us, and we might be able to get him for a reasonable price from Leipzig.

When talking about Leipzig players before, he was the one I would have wanted, but at the time we didn't have the space for another forward.

With the Greenwood situation, it would be a smart addition and he's a perfect age to hit the ground running, 24/25

Adnan

Talent Spotter
When talking about Leipzig players before, he was the one I would have wanted, but at the time we didn't have the space for another forward.

With the Greenwood situation, it would be a smart addition and he's a perfect age to hit the ground running, 24/25
He's definitely someone we should be looking at with our current forward options. He's also a versatile player and can be utilised centrally or as a inside forward.

AneRu

This is the problem you have when you postpone issues for too long, Matic should have been replaced ages ago. Now we are going into the summer desperate for a DM, losing our star midfielder for nothing and also potentially losing two central strikers (even if we keep Ronnie he useless in this league).

To be competitive we need offensive fullbacks and we have none. Laird isn't ready to be a starter whilst Dalot and AWB are known quantities, they are not fit for purpose. The good thing is we could pick up a journeyman with reasonable skills in Portugal or France.

Midfield is obvious, we need at least one signing. With needs in other areas of the team I dont think that Rice is doable, we need to sign someone for under £60m so that we have something left over for the striker positions after the loss of 'he who must not be mentioned'. I think if we bring in Tchoumeni we could get away with promoting Garner for the CM role so that we have one more option to play in games that require a little bit of gile.

The striker situation is now a major issue, CR7 is done and isn't suitable for this league. Cavani is out and you know who is lost to his idiocy. That leaves us with Martial and his seven year long growing pains. Even if he was to come from Sevilla as a restored player he won't be enough because he will be our only senior striker of the right age. We need to sign a starting striker and a squad option or sign a starting striker and keep Martial as a squad option. We are truly fecked.

gorky_utd

I hope the board actually buys 4 or 5 players if asked by the manager instead of buying one position and neglecting the other one. 2 midfielder, 1 attacker is a must. Don't think the club will spend on defence.

bucky

@Adnan @Lash Agree with you on Nkunku. Next to the passer in midfield we need to sign, I think he could be the best option to improve the team. I have doubts about what we are able to do regarding a striker and Nkunku could be the best way to replace the goals that we might lack. On top of that he could provide the necessary competition that Rashford and Bruno need.

I hope the board actually buys 4 or 5 players if asked by the manager instead of buying one position and neglecting the other one. 2 midfielder, 1 attacker is a must. Don't think the club will spend on defence.
I actually think that's what we should do this summer. A striker, an attacking midfielder and 2 central midfielders, should Pogba leave. I don't think we are going to give up on Maguire just yet and we have options for RB.

jesperjaap

There is no way we let 10 players leave, and we definitely won’t sign that many. It’ll be the usual 3-4 in and you’ll see contract renewals for a lot of unpopular players. A couple of midfielders and a striker, maybe yet another CB or RB.
Even if we had a major overhaul you’d write off next season too while they all settled, especially with a new manager. It just isn’t going to happen. It’s pie in the sky FM wet dream stuff.
I disagree this summer that with the contract situations there is no way 10players leave. Think it could be close for once and there may be five incoming. Partof me agrees with you that though it wont be a huge difference it may be too close to the usual to make a difference.

I would say though on your last sentence, why do ten new players taking time to settle make us worse than ten players already here that simply arent performing week in week out and it isnt pie in the sky, City and liverpool had a uge turn over of players in the first coupel of seasons and look where they are now.

My main point in general with this whole thread though is it isnt "WHat we will do" "Whats a realistic summer"....its what we STILL NEED. With that in mind, personally:

1) Moving players on - Im not even going to name players and why I dont think certain ones are good enough.....but seriously, I think the players is the main problem with this current side. I woul dhappily move on 18players from this current squad, thats half the squad. Half of our starting eleven pretty much are within that group too. For me flaws/lack of quality/attitude, differing reasons....but it doesnt matter who our manager is we simply wont win trophies with some of the players we have playing regularly

2) Quality signings in the RIGHT positions. I think we have signed several of the wrong options over the last decade, we have also several seasons failed to address the problem positions. Last summer not signing a single central midfielder being a very obvious example (still baffles me pundits etc saying we should have been challenging for the title with our summer recruitments....erm not with our midfield).

3) The right number of signings - One of my bigget annoyances is that we have always been a signing or two short of a good window. Like you say the usual 3/4 in, its simply not enough, we have seen it agai this summer with no midfielder and we are paying for it (should have signed two). I dotn agree with people sayin gwe cant afford to do that. There are I feel a plethora of excellent young talents around. We have missed out on a few like Sancho years ago, Bellingham, Haaland, Camavinga and signed the wrong ones too VDB, Depay were never right for me or we have signed very young ones a good year or two away with no experience Hannibal/Diallo. But there are the likes of Kamara on a free and a whole host of excellent young players who would be under £40m Caqueret, Cherki, Doku, Sulemana, Gravenburch, Adeyemi (anothe rprob lose out on to Dortmund)....we simply arent making these signings at the right time. I feel we could sign the likes of a Fofana or Rice and still sign another 3/4 players without a big net spend selling wisely

4) A good manager - I think we have appointed the wrong managers Moyes and Mourinho (tho did better than most) were never United managers, Ole was given too much time and trust after a good initial start. I thought LVG would do well, less said the better. I like Ragnick, think he will do well in the role upstairs, he is an intellgient man but doesnt seem a manager. But again, it doesnt matter who the manager is, we need to have the right players and very few of the current crop are

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Minimum DM, Winger, Pogba's replacement or Pogba's new contract, Striker, and CB to partner with Varane. That's minimum.

Sparky Rhiwabon

“We really need a proper no.6”
Ed: “Ta da! Here’s Cavani!”
Ed: “Ta da! Here's Van de Beek!”
Ed: “Ta da! Here’s Amad and Pellestri!”
Ed: “Ta da! Here’s Ronaldo!”
etc

jesperjaap

Minimum DM, Winger, Pogba's replacement or Pogba's new contract, Striker, and CB to partner with Varane. That's minimum.
Its crazy isnt it that in the last few years we have spent potentially clsoe to £50m on three teenagers in Hannibal/Dialllo/Pellestri, £70m on Sancho all added to a few talented academy players amd having one established in Rashford, that a winger still looks like a needed investment yet again this summer.

Of course the Greenwood situation has a part to play in that, but I saw him as a striker moving forward anyway.

Though its about 5th in terms of priority for me, I hope we do sign a winger and maybe a yougn one as a staement signing to replace Greenwood beign young. Quite a few seem more left sided but the few times I have watched Doku and Sulemana for Rennes I have been highly impressed with the ability they have running at defences. Cherki also looks like some player, definately a fair few options I feel that wouldnt be cheap but wouldnt be huge signings either

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Its crazy isnt it that in the last few years we have spent potentially clsoe to £50m on three teenagers in Hannibal/Dialllo/Pellestri, £70m on Sancho all added to a few talented academy players amd having one established in Rashford, that a winger still looks like a needed investment yet again this summer.

Of course the Greenwood situation has a part to play in that, but I saw him as a striker moving forward anyway.

Though its about 5th in terms of priority for me, I hope we do sign a winger and maybe a yougn one as a staement signing to replace Greenwood beign young. Quite a few seem more left sided but the few times I have watched Doku and Sulemana for Rennes I have been highly impressed with the ability they have running at defences. Cherki also looks like some player, definately a fair few options I feel that wouldnt be cheap but wouldnt be huge signings either
Well, losing Greenwood is the big reason. I don't like sign the young one because we have plenty young ones who are currently inexperienced and still raw. I will keep an eye on Raphinha. Ideal age.

jesperjaap

Well, losing Greenwood is the big reason.
Of course. Wont go on about how I saw him more centrally maybe even this season if Ronaldo didnt come, as he isnt even worth a conversation now is he.

Obviously its good to see youngsters coming thorugh the ranks but Im still not seeing enough to be totall convinced with the others. I like Elangas pace and he seems to have a godo attitude, but not sure there is start qualit, Chong never looked good enough as soon as he stepped up from youth games, Amad has obvious ability but can he put that into the mens game and again,not sure I see him as a winger, looks mor elike a floating 10 to me. of course there is the Hannibal factor but again he looks much more a central player again.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's easier to say what we don't need really which is pretty much just LW.

jesperjaap

A LB,RB,CB,2CM,RW and a CF.

7 players minimum for next season.
Can understand the first two even if I dont fully agree and hope Laird gets an opportunity. But the other five positions you mention I think are absolutely imperative we sign this summer, especially the two central midfielders,,,,do find it surprising the number of people keep mentioning jsut one, though again hope Hannibal gets some opportunities before the season ends. Ive not seen enough of him as only highlights mainly, from little i have seen though I think Fernandes position probably be his best long term so understuady there may be ideal for now

Hammondo

I've said it 100 times, I will say it again. A midfielder that can run a game of football, who can dictate play, create space, dictate tempo, create openings all through passing.

Rice won't fix this, even if he works out amazing he's not that player.

We need to replace Carrick.

marktan

To be a top team we need:

- A winger that can actually dribble at pace. Been banging the ASM drum for about 3 seasons now but the ship has sailed.
- A DM
- A passing midfielder

- A striker is probably needed now too but a better coach like Pep or Klopp would use Martial, he's excellent with the ball to feet and showed he can finish that one season. Ala Firmino or Jesus.

It's not particularly rocket science and yet our transfer committee consisting of 3 chuckle brothers will go out and sign another crap RB for £50m, version number 50 of another overpriced defender we don't need, a crap midfielder that doesn't do anything for £40m, some 10 year old attacker for £30m or some vanity statement signing that doesn't improve the team at all.

Yeah losing SAF was big but we haven't had a single manager since that can identify players and holes in the team well. We need to move to a Sevilla, Brighton etc model with a proper recruitment team making those decisions, not the manager and 3 random nobodies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Next season players that we can build with and feel okay/not end of the world if they are starters/squad players:

De Gea
Dalot - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
????
Bruno - ????
Rashford - ???? - Sancho​
2nd 11:
Heaton
Wan Bissaka - Bailly - Lindelof - Telles
McTominay
Hannibal - Fred
???? - Martial - Elanga/Amad​

Obviously need Rashford to improve, but he'll get the chance. Question marks are all gaps/signings needed to have a positive summer improving the most important gaps. To further improve, would need to sell and replace (sell Wan Bissaka and replace with a RB, sell Bailly and replace Maguire at CB). Realistically not happening. So let's focus on what's realistic.

• Bring in Ten Hag. Or Ralf keeps his spot. Don't want Poch.​
  • Bring in Kamara on a free, he has huge potential and is the exact mold required at the base of midfield​
  • Buy Bennacer for 40-50m to be the controlling midfielder​
  • Bring in a striker. Slim pickings, but spunk our budget on one. We need one. Gerard Moreno or Lautaro Martinez the main options who would improve the starting 11 and be good for a while. Isak, Schick, Tammy Abraham, Andre Silva probably the only remaining guys who would make sense as medium term signings and decent options but probably not long term set and forget guys.​
  • Bring in a depth option on the wing with pace. Not sure who, but Amad and Elanga as our depth guys definitely isn't enough. Need one ahead of them to compete with Rashford pretty much.​

That's to address gaps in our squad and have a good working group. Guys like Rashford and Shaw and Maguire have shown a good level in the past and won't be touched when we have other things to address. You just hope they find their form, but if not, their turn will be next after the midfield and striker positions are addressed.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

I'm going to approach this query from another perspective. Rather than saying we have positions of need (obviously we do), we need the type of players who are willing to sacrifice their own game for the benefit of the squad. We have too many individuals on the pitch who only think of their own benefit not just in the attacking positions but in defense as well. We need quality 'glue' guys who can allow other players to do their thing. Park, O'shea, Fletcher, Neville, Chicharito - characters who can pitch in on both sides of the field.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What do we still need?

-New owners
-New board
-New manager
-New captain
-New stadium or at least significant investment into current one.
-About 7 or 8 quality signings

We are nearly there guys. It's not a lot that's missing? Hahahahaha

Roboc7

None of our full backs are good enough, need a partner for Varane, two new midfielders, someone who has ability and actually wants to play on right hand side of the attack and a striker.

Most of our starters our only squad players in a team that competes for the title.

MrSingh2002

Sancho Haaland Garnacho Greenwood
Rashford McNeill Amad Elanga Shoretire

Fernandes

Rice Tchouameni
McTominay VDB
Hannibal

Telles CB Varane Dalot
Shaw Maguire Lindelof AWB
Mengi Tuanzebe

De Gea
Heaton

SELL/RELEASE
Henderson
Jones
Bailly
Fred
Matic
Pogba
Lingard
Mata
Martial
Ronaldo
Cavani

With a full 11 gone and Pereira already sold we'll have a ridiculous reduction on the wage bill. Some of our biggest earners are going to be gone. I want to see the club be ruthless. Let those 12 players leave and start again.

Centre Back, CDM, CM and Striker are the 4 priorities for first team players.

A proper CB partner for Varane, a CDM like Rice or better, a CM like Tchouameni or better, a top striker or huge investment like Haaland/Lewandowski.

It's possible due to the sheer amount of players coming to the end of their contracts.

Question is how bad do the club/board actually want it?

If Rangnick was given the money and the opportunity I don't think he'd let us down. Managers like him know what they can do with a squad overhaul.

With only 5 incomings and 12 outgoings, to be left with a decent looking squad would be a big achievement. Hope the club have got the gonads to keep investing. Genuinely don't see the point in changing the manager again when Ralf has learnt alot in his time here about who is worth keeping and who isn't.

Give him the job and let him buy players that suit a 433 formation or a 4231 formation.

Last edited:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Henderson
Williams
Axel
Bailly
Matic
Pogba
VDB
Greenwood
Martial
Mata
Lingard
Cavani
Ronaldo

They all have question marks over their futures in one way or another. It’s absolutely crazy that up to 13 players will be wanting out/leaving this summer.

croadyman

Pereira is already going

Yeah just unfortunate our owners have shit for brains and won't even look at any of these shrewd free transfer options