What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

reddevilz007

We need Ten Hag asap, start building a definitive identity and start the deadwood cleanup asap.

caid

I think midfielders and full backs would be my first port of call, none of those present are particularly good and many of them are pretty shit. We need a striker and I'd love to change keeper too.
More importantly we need to be fairly ruthless with whats there. A good few need to be dismissed from any thinking going forward and moved on as soon as possible.

Volksie316

What do we need?

First of, lets start with the players almost certain to leave.....

Pogba
Lingard
Cavani
Ronaldo
Mata
Henderson

The other possible ones to leave are.....

Jones
Bailly

That's not even including the fact that Greenwood, will likely never play for us again either. So based on that list, we need at least 5-6 new players, and that's only just bringing in replacement's for those leaving.

We have a huge summer ahead of us, and if it were any other club, I would be excited about the prospect of a much needed clear out, but with how our club is run, I have no hope whatsoever that it will be remotely successful.

bucky

I've not watched him all that much, but from I've seen Aaron Hickey from Bologna looks talented. I was happy that we signed Telles, because we needed competition at LB, but he hasn't exactly convinced. We probably have other areas that we will focus on, which would be understandable, but at this point I doubt Shaw is ever going to be as consistent as we need him to be. Considering the standard Chelsea, Liverpool and City have at full-back, the sooner we address this the better in my eyes. Ideally I'd want us to sign Theo Hernández, but that's not going to happen.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I've not watched him all that much, but from I've seen Aaron Hickey from Bologna looks talented. I was happy that we signed Telles, because we needed competition at LB, but he hasn't exactly convinced. We probably have other areas that we will focus on, which would be understandable, but at this point I doubt Shaw is ever going to be as consistent as we need him to be. Considering the standard Chelsea, Liverpool and City have at full-back, the sooner we address this the better in my eyes. Ideally I'd want us to sign Theo Hernández, but that's not going to happen.
If we want left back, we should go cucurella.

MrSingh2002

The only guaranteed first 11 starters are:

De Gea
Varane
Sancho

3 fecking players.

The rest are replaceable quite easily. The problem has been in the last 7 years that they haven't let enough dross leave and replace them with better players.

Too many fringe players and squad players.

Good squad players:

Lindelof
AWB
Dalot
Telles
Matic
McTominay
Fernandes

Can't bank on them for the future:
Henderson
Shaw
Maguire
Matic
Fred
Lingard
Mata
Ronaldo
Cavani

The board and execs have just changed the managers since Fergie left rather than let the manager who understands the squad truly change it.

I dont believe anyone knew what was technically needed more than Mourinho or Rangnick.

Can't change the past but atleast let Rangnick let 8 go and bring 6 in. Jose was worth backing and so is Ralf.

The LAST thing I want us to do is keep a similar squad so they can see if Poch or Ten Hag can keep the plate spinning for longer. It's clear what needs to happen. We need young hungry players that can give us a 7/10 minimum performance every week. Rangnick can get us those players surely.

Inconsistent current players:
Shaw
Maguire
AWB
Fred
Pogba
Fernandes
Rashford
Ronaldo

There's far too many big salaried inconsistent players. Move them on and bring more consistent players in on fraction of the salaries. No more big names for a couple of years please. Let Varane and Sancho be the last for awhile and be thankful those two might work out atleast from now on. Rant over.

Bwuk

If there’s any chance we can hijack Kuluveski from Spurs that’d be nice

Scriblerus

What we don't need are lists of players who could be better in this or that position than the ones we have now. We need an identity on the pitch, and to get that we need a strategy; the only one we have at the moment is to generate enough turnover for the Glazers to cream off their annual dividend.
Peter Schmeichel was interesting on R5 during the derby, when he said that in his day we didn't really have a great tactical plan; we played straightforward 4-4-2 and relied on having better players in all positions than the opposition had in order to win. That was good enough in the Prem, but was why we often struggled in Europe when we came up against teams with lesser players but a better game plan.
Well, that tactical nous came home years ago. Except to OT, where we've had no direction from above and a succession of contrasting coaches who have led us to the mire in which we are now stranded. Obviously City and Liverpool lead the way with planning and implementation, but week after week we have seen how we have looked vulnerable to mid table teams who were tactically drilled and work harder. Meanwhile we have lost the financial clout and scouting skills to get by on the better player plan.
So what we need is a DoF and/or coach who can get the team working to a coherent and effective template, and then the players to execute it. Until we have that we can dream of all the individual signings we like, but we'll still be crap.

RedDevilQuebecois

Kyogo Furuhashi as a direct replacement for Marcus Rashford. Ever since Kyogo arrived at Celtic, he's been doing everything that Rashford stopped doing.

Jonathan David as a striker to solve Cavani's eventual departure. It should not be difficult to hijack the deal between Lille and Arsenal with a little extra, and I'm biased for him as a Canadian.

I won't speak about others because there will be more speculations to come.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Jonathan David as a striker to solve Cavani's eventual departure. It should not be difficult to hijack the deal between Lille and Arsenal with a little extra, and I'm biased for him as a Canadian.
As a Canadian also I am not sure if J. David is a good fit for Arsenal. Our playing style requires the striker drop deep to combine well with our midfielders and wingers, and has good link up play, more like a Benzema role back in Real Madrid with CR7 in the team. I can understand why Arteta is linked to Joao Felix but i doubt a deal can be done.

Blake's 7

I've said before we need to be pragmatic, it is impossible to overhaul this squad and realistically challenge the current top 2 in the short term. We need to strengthen and replace on a rolling basis targeting where we are weakest first. So in the short to medium turn we may need to retain players who aren't absolutely what we'd need but should be good enough to get us Champions League qualification and give us a fair tilt in the cups. Like it or not we've become an Arsenal and bit Spursy to coin a phrase.

So the emergency surgery in the next window:
Replacements for AWB and Maguire
Replacement for Matic & Pogba(to be a starter not squad player)
Quality young replacement for Cavani/Ronaldo

Offloading the deadwood may be problematic but don't see any future for:
AWB, Maguire, Jones, Matic, Lingard, Mata, Ronaldo, Cavani, Martial.

Pogba is a complete enigma - he should be dominating this league but doesn't. He probably needs to leave.

A manager that can coach and improve players/help players return to their best form.
Smaller, leaner, younger, hungrier squad bolstered by 4 quality signings and a manager everyone can unite behind should be enough to get top 4 and a cup run building a foundation from which we can kick on and target City and Liverpool.

SAF is the GOAT

Genuine question for all of you to see what you think :

If we'll bring 1 of Rice/Tsouameni and we'll add Garner to the squad next season, Don't you think that with Bruno, McFred and maybe DVB we'll have pretty solid midfield ?

And all of this without even counting Hannibal because I think that he'll get a loan next season somewhere else.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

If we'll bring 1 of Rice/Tsouameni and we'll add Garner to the squad next season, Don't you think that with Bruno, McFred and maybe DVB we'll have pretty solid midfield ?

And all of this without even counting Hannibal because I think that he'll get a loan next season somewhere else.
It means we're one injury away from McFred. I don't think we can pin all of our hopes on Garner yet and the jury is out on Van de Beek.

jesperjaap

I think midfielders and full backs would be my first port of call, none of those present are particularly good and many of them are pretty shit. We need a striker and I'd love to change keeper too.
More importantly we need to be fairly ruthless with whats there. A good few need to be dismissed from any thinking going forward and moved on as soon as possible.
Well in an ideal world really, but it depends how ruthless we are and how much truth and desire there is in reports of certain players leaving there is. lets face it we may sturggle gettign full backs if we ar edown to literally 2/3 attacking options.

WHat we need desperately is to offload a lot of thsi side. Whether that happens or not is another thing, what we need is hugely dependant on that, irrespective of anything though, th emidfield is the priority for me

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

It's a good start to rebuild the midfield. If we sign Rice, pretty much we have 2 leaders in our midfield (Rice & Bruno). 2 leaders is necessary to help Garner in midfield almost similar to Liverpool with their 2 leaders Henderson and Fabinho to help the young ones Jones or Elliott in midfield. Keita also plays similar style to Fred so we can always rotate Garner to not overlying him too much. Not to mention there is VDB.

jesperjaap

I've said before we need to be pragmatic, it is impossible to overhaul this squad and realistically challenge the current top 2 in the short term. We need to strengthen and replace on a rolling basis targeting where we are weakest first. So in the short to medium turn we may need to retain players who aren't absolutely what we'd need but should be good enough to get us Champions League qualification and give us a fair tilt in the cups. Like it or not we've become an Arsenal and bit Spursy to coin a phrase.

So the emergency surgery in the next window:
Replacements for AWB and Maguire
Replacement for Matic & Pogba(to be a starter not squad player)
Quality young replacement for Cavani/Ronaldo

Offloading the deadwood may be problematic but don't see any future for:
AWB, Maguire, Jones, Matic, Lingard, Mata, Ronaldo, Cavani, Martial.

Pogba is a complete enigma - he should be dominating this league but doesn't. He probably needs to leave.

A manager that can coach and improve players/help players return to their best form.
Smaller, leaner, younger, hungrier squad bolstered by 4 quality signings and a manager everyone can unite behind should be enough to get top 4 and a cup run building a foundation from which we can kick on and target City and Liverpool.
Agree on trimming the squad, but do four signings reall ymove us on so much. Lets face it, on paper at least we made three top quality signings in the summer when we needed 5/6. Yes one of them was in the wrong position and hasnt worked out too well in Ronaldo. but this group of players isnt 4 players short of a good consistent eleven, its more like double. Why cant we sign 6/7 players this summer anyway? I really dont understand that, there are some excellent free transfers, some relatively cheap top young talents, even with so many of the players you mention being free, there is still probably £100m worth of sales there, I just dont get this obseession with us only signing 4 players. Chelsea with Mourinho, City with Pep, Klopp with Liverpool....they all made lots of signings in the first coupe fo seasons. Honestly signing four players for me doesnt mean we progress, its failed in several windows already

SAF is the GOAT

It means we're one injury away from McFred. I don't think we can pin all of our hopes on Garner yet and the jury is out on Van de Beek.
I would agree that we need another midfielder(Tielemans ? or someone else ?) especially that Pogba is going to go but we all know our club.
we have too many players in urgent positions to bring in and I haven't even talked about on all the OUT's. Currently all I see is planning to bring in 3 players and not more than that even that we need more.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

I think it's a good time to take a page out of Barca and Ajax and turn to the academy to breathe some life into the club. We have more than capable attackers, midfielders, and defenders to pick from and give their debuts.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We just need to find the like of Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Fabinho. Energetic, mobile, decent on the ball, and tough midfielders.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Hardworking striker and winger in place of ronaldo and Rashford would instantly take this team up a level or even two. We are creating chances and controlling most games but still managing to fluff it. Then in the big games we simply aren’t working hard enough and give up far too easily.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hardworking striker and winger in place of ronaldo and Rashford would instantly take this team up a level or even two. We are creating chances and controlling most games but still managing to fluff it. Then in the big games we simply aren’t working hard enough and give up far too easily.
I agree mate.

Some of our players just don't seem to want to play with intensity. And the quicker we get rid of them better imo.

I've only heard about Darwin Nunes from Benfica and have no idea if he'd be good enough. And I've only watched him on YouTube, but he does seem to fit the profile of striker that will die for the cause as they say, if one was to go off the highlights.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I agree mate.

Some of our players just don't seem to want to play with intensity. And the quicker we get rid of them better imo.

I've only heard about Darwin Nunes from Benfica and have no idea if he'd be good enough. And I've only watched him on YouTube, but he does seem to fit the profile of striker that will die for the cause as they say, if one was to go off the highlights.

From that video he reminds me of a young Cavani (probably the most lazy comparison!) Anyone who is improving fast, works extra hard, is someone we can play off and can finish half chances is worth a look. We have no press and a majorly declining focal point in attack. Two things that are majorly holding us back. Add to that wingers walking around only interested in waiting for the chance to shoot? It’s a mess of our own creation.

L_O_S_T

Firstly, we must not fall into the same mistake that was made at the start of this season - not releasing deadwood.

We need to quickly cut the losses:
Outs: Cavani, Martial, Lingard, Pogba(?), one of Bailly/Lindelof, Dalot
Loans: Phil Jones, vDB,

Then we need to get in quality first team ready players

(in the order of priority)
1. Defensive midfielder (Someone experienced, able to control games, awareness to cover defensive gaps, high energy)
2. Right-back (Someone that can bring experience so AWB can learn from, preferably able to cross and play wing back when required)
3. Striker (Assuming Greenwood is no longer available and CR7 wont be able to play every game, then we need a hardworking striker, someone that can be a good foil to balance out the attacking instincts of Sancho and Rashford)
4. Centre-back (Someone young, strong, fast, can learn from Varane)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think it's a good time to take a page out of Barca and Ajax and turn to the academy to breathe some life into the club. We have more than capable attackers, midfielders, and defenders to pick from and give their debuts.
Really? Who?

garner, Hannibal and Laird are probably the closest (I’m counting elanga as 1st team squad).

i don’t think any of the others are anywhere near close yet

golden_blunder

Staff
Signing 3-4 players would be like turning up at the Grand Canyon with a few planks of wood and expecting to bridge the gap

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Really? Who?

garner, Hannibal and Laird are probably the closest (I’m counting elanga as 1st team squad).

i don’t think any of the others are anywhere near close yet
There's always one no one expects as well. It's not like anyone thought Scott would be a regular, so I expect another lad to break through.

golden_blunder

Staff
There's always one no one expects as well. It's not like anyone thought Scott would be a regular, so I expect another lad to break through.
Who though? The strikers are all too young and look not ready for this level. Laird is the pick of the defenders. Unless Fernandez but only if we play wingbacks as he lacks pace. Im not even convinced that Hannibal won’t be sent on loan first and actually that may be good for his development at this stage

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Who though? The strikers are all too young and look not ready for this level. Laird is the pick of the defenders. Unless Fernandez but only if we play wingbacks as he lacks pace. Im not even convinced that Hannibal won’t be sent on loan first and actually that may be good for his development at this stage
Could be a random one like Levitt or Garnacho, even Shola might have a case.

It really depends on how the next coach is - I actually see ETH more likely to find solutions to the profile he needs in his sytem from the youth team, than someone like Poch. That being said, to Poch's credit, he started playing Simons so maybe he would.

golden_blunder

Staff

It really depends on how the next coach is - I actually see ETH more likely to find solutions to the profile he needs in his sytem from the youth team, than someone like Poch. That being said, to Poch's credit, he started playing Simons so maybe he would.
Personally I don’t think shola is quite ready but have high hopes for him when he does

the others? Not sure any of them will make the grade at United if I’m honest bar Hannibal, Laird and garner. Time will tell

Last edited:

Swordsman

The Americ**** need to change their mindset

The culture created by the Americ**** at the club is very bad for any football progress

players come for big money, come for increasing fanbase to market their brand, or for their sponsors.

a lot of money has been spent. but the mentality and attitude at the club hasn't changed.

For a start, manager need to be empowered to sell any players as they see fit (those with attitude problem/ underperforming players). The Americ**** shouldn't "hold players hostage" or keep renewing contract for commercial reasons.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Personally I don’t think shoal is quite ready but have high hopes for him when he does

the others? Not sure any of them will make the grade at United if I’m honest bar Hannibal, Laird and garner. Time will tell
I don't disagree with you to be honest, there just always seems to be a player no one would peg for a first team squad spot that always grabs one.

Andrew7582

No chance with Levitt, he'll be a league one/championship player at best.

L1nk

Firstly, we must not fall into the same mistake that was made at the start of this season - not releasing deadwood.

We need to quickly cut the losses:
Outs: Cavani, Martial, Lingard, Pogba(?), one of Bailly/Lindelof, Dalot
Loans: Phil Jones, vDB,

Then we need to get in quality first team ready players

(in the order of priority)
1. Defensive midfielder (Someone experienced, able to control games, awareness to cover defensive gaps, high energy)
2. Right-back (Someone that can bring experience so AWB can learn from, preferably able to cross and play wing back when required)
3. Striker (Assuming Greenwood is no longer available and CR7 wont be able to play every game, then we need a hardworking striker, someone that can be a good foil to balance out the attacking instincts of Sancho and Rashford)
4. Centre-back (Someone young, strong, fast, can learn from Varane)
I would argue striker is more important than right back if we're going to go in an order but hopefully we buy both, i'd also add a midfielder to that list especially if Pogba is going, 5 incomings I don't think is particularly unreasonable. Couple that with the likes of Garner, Mejbri, maybe Laird, Amad etc and I think we have a much better squad already, though it depends on if the signings are the correct ones.

1. Tchouameni/Kamara?
2. I'm actually not up on good young right backs currently, though I hear that one from Ajax is talented, so if we get Ten Hag that could be one to watch
3. Jonathan David/Darwin Nunez?
4. Schlotterbeck?
5. Tielemens? Maybe, i'm sure there's better options I just currently cannot think of any

Relfy

If RR is truly staying on as a Consultant or DOF position, then him and the board need to sit down and assess the squad in depth. Likewise, a united decision on the new manager, direction of the club and playing style to be implemented at the club must be the most important things. These must be instilled across the club, from kids teams through to the first team without exception.

This will allow fair assessment of players who can fit the system long term, medium term and not at all. Those in the latter category are to be cleared out. Any in the medium term category to be replaced over the following 2-4 windows.

I can see up to 12 outgoings this summer, which is maybe a tad optimistic, but is what I think will be needed. This excludes any potential bad apples within the group which I hope RR will have identified and will be seeking their removal. The squad for next season need to be fully invested or shipped out. No in between. We can't have people in the changing room create a toxic atmosphere.
  1. Mata - Out of contract, no valuable minutes on the pitch, time to let go
  2. Matic - Similar to the above. Could stay on another season but might be seeking first team football somewhere else
  3. Grant - Release
  4. Williams - Could be set for a move or another loan next season, preferably with obligation to buy if that is the case. Has done well at Norwich so should get to a decent team.
  5. Pogba - Can't/won't commit his future. His agent is seeking a way out so let them leave. The performances on the pitch have not equalled his salary, so paying him more is not the correct solution, from a footballing or business perspective
  6. Cavani - Out of contract and unfit most of this year. Great fun to have had him but time to move on
  7. Ronaldo - 50/50 if he stays or moves. If he wants to go then allow the move and free up the wages and squad space
  8. Greenwood - Likely won't ever play football for us or anyone again
  9. Martial - Wants to leave to let him go, either permanent or loan with obligation.
  10. Bailly - Wants to play first team somewhere and should be allowed to go.
  11. DVB - Not working for him at United or in England. His situation could change dependent on new manager.
  12. Lingard - No new contract. We won't pay what he will demand as a free agent and nor should we. Not the standard we need and not performing when offered a chance (albeit mostly off the bench).
New additions will depend on the manager coming in, the formation(s) to be used and the style of play to be implemented, of course. I would imagine a DM, ST, RW and CM being priorities first and foremost based on current squad composition. I'd like us to move away from the previous 'Galactico' era of trying to consistently sign big names. We need players who fit the system. Look at what the dippers have achieved with lesser name players - Wijnaldum, Henderson, Salah (at the time they signed him), Milner. Good coaching and a defined system of playing will make a huge difference long term.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Sigh, again. He wasn’t injured when he resigned, he was still a good age and in the England squad. Why wouldn’t we offer a new contract?
I just checked his injury record. He has goes into a 2nd page for injuries. He might not have been injured at the time, but his past injury record should have been a warning. It's is something that he is now fit and cannot get a game. I actually think he could get a game, the state of that defence, but our luck he would get injured. Can he play RB?