What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

All these FM styles ins and outs here.

Realistically the only outs will be out-of-contract players or the complicated situations with other players.

United will do well to get a a CB in and a CF in. I don't see any other business.

It's the same every season, utterly wild lists of ins and outs.

Some seem to think we're going to somehow ship all of Eriksen, Casemiro, Amrabat and McTom off, and bring 3 mids in!
Not a chance in hell.

We've only been able to finally lose Martial because he's out of contract. Same with Varane or we'd have been paying him to go knowing us.
And that's not to mention how he was actually pretty good when fit.

People think Antony will be on his way. Maybe for an 70m loss!

Realistically the only outs will be out-of-contract players or the complicated situations with other players.

United will do well to get a a CB in and a CF in. I don't see any other business.

We're not Swindon Town, mate. You're not serious if you think we're going to get two players in during the summer window after INEOS has taken over.

We're definitely getting a centre midfielder in, there is just no way we're not getting one. Maybe a left back as well. I can see us getting 4 or 5 players very easily.

It's the same every season, utterly wild lists of ins and outs.

Some seem to think we're going to somehow ship all of Eriksen, Casemiro, Amrabat and McTom off, and bring 3 mids in!
Not a chance in hell.

We've only been able to finally lose Martial because he's out of contract. Same with Varane or we'd have been paying him to go knowing us.
And that's not to mention how he was actually pretty good when fit.

People think Antony will be on his way. Maybe for an 70m loss!

Amrabat is a loan, so I don’t think he will be too hard to get off the books. Eriksen strikes me as a player who is likely to want to play regularly and Casemiro will surely have suitors from the Saudi league. I agree we won’t be getting rid of McT.

I see the likely business as being two CMs, 1 CB and 1 CF, possibly a LB as well.

I think there is likely 4 ins and depending on how many we can sell then we will get more players. 1 CB (Varane), 1 LB backup, 1 MF (Either Eriksen or Casemiro will be gone) and 1 ST (Martial). If we manage to sell Sancho or Greenwood or Rashford then we will buy a winger. I don't think ETH trust Amad or Pellistri as a backup. If we sell AWB, we will buy Frimpong. If we move another few players, then we get 1 more CB and MF. That's likely what is going to happen. Hopefully our scouting has improved that they are able to get underated players with huge potential.

Looks very much that in an ideal situation we would release the obvious players; Varane, B Williams, A Martial , J Evans

Sell the players who no longer have a squad place ; H Mejbri, F Pellistri, DVB, Casemiro, C Erikson, A Fernandez, M Greenwood - Total £60m

Then finally hope they they get reasonable offers for; at least 2/3 from the following 6 ; J Sancho, V Lindelof, Antony, M Rashford
S Mctominay and AWB - Total £60m for most likely J Sancho , Lindelof and AWB

That’s £120m plus the £120m which I think is available looking at the current accounts so £240m if we sell the players we are trying to.

SQUAD -
GK (3), Onana, Bayinder and Heaton resigned

Defenders(10) D Dalot, J Frimpong*, L Shaw, T Malacia, H Amass, H Maguire, L Martinez, W Kambawla, J C Todibo*,
*J Branthwaite

Midfielders (7) - *Y Fofana or S Amrabat, *A Rabiot,
K Mainoo, B Fernandes, M Mount,
S Mctominay, T Collyer

Attack (8) *S Guirassy, R Hojlund, Amad, * M Olise, M Rashford, A Garnaucho, E Wheatley, S Lacey

The six players plus resigning Amrabat for another £13.5m top of his £9m loan fee if we have to pay the full £21.5m if go get Fofana for £25m and the cost would be Frimpong(35m), Todibo (35m),
J Branthwaite(55m), A Rabiot(Ftee), M Olise(60m) and S Guirassy(20m)

We can’t buy any superstars and the club needs this sort of window just to stabilise the club as a top 4 team, if the team is playing well by Xmas they can go for Jao Neves in the winter window to really build a strong spine.

I’m not super convinced by Branthwaite or Todibo and see huge settling in issues don’t be surprised to see Maguire and Martinez play as our first choice CB pairing at the start. Ideally we need a truly elite number 9 and a proper left back to compete against shaw however If Shaw injured Dalot can play there as an inverted full back while Frimpong and Olise would revolutionise our right wing.

Last edited:
For me, this summer doesn't need to be overly complicated and there are some very obvious signings we should be making.

1) Adarabioyo - CB - £0 (maybe a signing on fee for £3-5m)

It seems like Newcastle, Chelsea and us are the main names rumoured to be looking at him. I do think the FA Cup win could prove critical as we now have Europa League, which will not only be an attractive prospect for him but will also guarantee him more game time, which I think is even more crucial. Newcastle seemed like front-runners but they've now been dumped out of Europe altogether so his game time will be more limited, and Chelsea have be relegated to the Conference League and they're just pure chaos generally. Add in the fact he's a Manchester lad, fits the profile of defender we need, has decent prem experience and will have a good working relationship with Wilcox, as a replacement for Lindelof he's a no-brainer.

2) Todibo - CB - £35m

Don't need to labour this one as he's been spoken about extensively already. He has a lot of qualities that we lack at the back and has been at the heart of the best defence in Ligue 1 conceding 4 less goals than PSG this year. He is a colossus and with us sharing owners this should be a slam dunk at a fair price. Personally I would either loan or sell them Kambwala as part of the deal too to give him much needed experience, he could get us £20m back if we did sell and could include a fair buy back clause too.

3) Guirassy - ST - £15m

We've not been strongly linked recently but Guirassy at £15m is ridiculously good value. He's a clinical finisher, strong, physical, a threat aerially, but can also come deep and link play nicely too. He's also in the right age bracket to use in combination with Hojlund for a few years before Rasmus hits his prime and I would guess the prospect of playing in the Premier League for Manchester United would be enough to accept a role where he competes and rotates for the no. 9 spot.

They are my no-brainer / must-buys in areas that we need this summer. There would obviously be more business needed and I would personally use the rest of our funds on top quality young (u23) prospects. For me that would be:

> Joao Neves - CM - £85m
> Olise - RW - £60m
> Ugarte - DM - £50m
> Dorgu - LB - £20m
> Doue - CM/CAM/RW/LW - £25m

That is obviously a dream and will need Jim and the boys to be brave and do exceptionally well selling players. But that would be my perfect summer.

For me, this summer doesn't need to be overly complicated and there are some very obvious signings we should be making.

1) Adarabioyo - CB - £0 (maybe a signing on fee for £3-5m)

It seems like Newcastle, Chelsea and us are the main names rumoured to be looking at him. I do think the FA Cup win could prove critical as we now have Europa League, which will not only be an attractive prospect for him but will also guarantee him more game time, which I think is even more crucial. Newcastle seemed like front-runners but they've now been dumped out of Europe altogether so his game time will be more limited, and Chelsea have be relegated to the Conference League and they're just pure chaos generally. Add in the fact he's a Manchester lad, fits the profile of defender we need, has decent prem experience and will have a good working relationship with Wilcox, as a replacement for Lindelof he's a no-brainer.

2) Todibo - CB - £35m

Don't need to labour this one as he's been spoken about extensively already. He has a lot of qualities that we lack at the back and has been at the heart of the best defence in Ligue 1 conceding 4 less goals than PSG this year. He is a colossus and with us sharing owners this should be a slam dunk at a fair price. Personally I would either loan or sell them Kambwala as part of the deal too to give him much needed experience, he could get us £20m back if we did sell and could include a fair buy back clause too.

3) Guirassy - ST - £15m

We've not been strongly linked recently but Guirassy at £15m is ridiculously good value. He's a clinical finisher, strong, physical, a threat aerially, but can also come deep and link play nicely too. He's also in the right age bracket to use in combination with Hojlund for a few years before Rasmus hits his prime and I would guess the prospect of playing in the Premier League for Manchester United would be enough to accept a role where he competes and rotates for the no. 9 spot.

They are my no-brainer / must-buys in areas that we need this summer. There would obviously be more business needed and I would personally use the rest of our funds on top quality young (u23) prospects. For me that would be:

> Joao Neves - CM - £85m
> Olise - RW - £60m
> Ugarte - DM - £50m
> Dorgu - LB - £20m
> Doue - CM/CAM/RW/LW - £25m

That is obviously a dream and will need Jim and the boys to be brave and do exceptionally well selling players. But that would be my perfect summer.
Doue will cost north of 70m

If we manage to sell Sancho, Greenwood, Casemiro that would be amazing and help our budget a lot. Loan Antony at least. Sell one of Maguire/Lindelof. Possibly sell Wan Bissaka and McTominay. Varane and Martial are already out and that'll reduce our wage bill as well.

Van de Beek is injured? Sell him (any money would be good, even 5M which is his market value) if he recovers until September.

Around 10 players could be gone this summer. Probably won't be that number but I'd be happy if it's 7-8 even.

What do we need, in order of priority:-

CDM, CB, LB, RW, ST

Who do I think we should get (2 options per position, 1 more aspirational and 1 more realistic):-

Neves / Palhinha
Branthwaite / Todibo
Theo / Gutierrez
Olise / Neto
Sesko / Guirassy

The aspirational ones cost us £300m whilst the realistic ones cost us £180m - we could obviously get a mix and match. Who we get would depend on how many people we can ship out and the fees we could get in for the likes of McT, Rashford, Greenwood, Maguire, Sancho.

We’re going to need at least 2 midfielders aren’t we. Casemiro meant to be leaving and Amrabat will be going back so we’ll be short.

We need class players in the midfield, now more then ever. It's been a decade since we had an engine in the midfield. Buy 3 midfielders if you have to, but if you don't have quality in midfield, you can't control games, you can't win games.

We’re going to need at least 2 midfielders aren’t we. Casemiro meant to be leaving and Amrabat will be going back so we’ll be short.
Casemiro, Eriksen, Van de Beek and possibly amrabat gone. Can see us signing Amrabat to be depth to play alongside Mainoo or cover for Mainoo, but we need the starting DM.
Mainoo, Bruno and new DM to start. Amrabat, McTominay and Mount to be the backup 3 is good.

Casemiro, Eriksen, Van de Beek and possibly amrabat gone. Can see us signing Amrabat to be depth to play alongside Mainoo or cover for Mainoo, but we need the starting DM.
Mainoo, Bruno and new DM to start. Amrabat, McTominay and Mount to be the backup 3 is good.
Ye ideally that’s what should happen. I’m hoping any new potential manager will see how good Mainoo is and keep him as a starter.

Going somewhat realistic based on rumors:
  • Chalobah - 25m
  • Branthwaite - 70m?
  • Amrabat - 15m?
  • Olise - 45m
  • DM starter - ???
  • Guirassey - 15m
This is the absolute most I could see for incoming. Probably someone cheaper instead of Branthwaite.

Outgoing;
  • Varane
  • Evans
  • Eriksen
  • Casemiro
  • Van de beek
  • Antony (loan)
  • Sancho
  • Greenwood
  • Martial
Doubt we sell Lindelof so I kept him off, no talk there, but Martinez, new CB, new depth CB, Maguire, Lindelof and kambwala as the group is more than enough. We need a CF and will buy one, no idea who. I'd like Toney, but unlikely. Just someone older to compete with Hojlund. No idea who for DM but we need a starter to partner Mainoo and Bruno, and Amrabat to be depth along with McTominay and Mount.
Olise seems like there is a lot of interest, and he'd be a good add to Rashford, Garnacho and Amad. The rest of the wingers can leave.

Would make for a good squad where we have at least 2 per position. But it is trusting that Shaw and Malacia will be more fit than last year... I just don't see us signing 7 first team players.

• Chalobah - 25m
  • Branthwaite - 70m?
  • Amrabat - 15m?
  • Olise - 45m
  • DM starter - ???
  • Guirassey - 15m
This is the absolute most I could see for incoming. Probably someone cheaper instead of Branthwaite.

Outgoing;
  • Varane
  • Evans
  • Eriksen
  • Casemiro
  • Van de beek
  • Antony (loan)
  • Sancho
  • Greenwood
  • Martial
Doubt we sell Lindelof so I kept him off, no talk there, but Martinez, new CB, new depth CB, Maguire, Lindelof and kambwala as the group is more than enough. We need a CF and will buy one, no idea who. I'd like Toney, but unlikely. Just someone older to compete with Hojlund. No idea who for DM but we need a starter to partner Mainoo and Bruno, and Amrabat to be depth along with McTominay and Mount.
Olise seems like there is a lot of interest, and he'd be a good add to Rashford, Garnacho and Amad. The rest of the wingers can leave.

Would make for a good squad where we have at least 2 per position. But it is trusting that Shaw and Malacia will be more fit than last year... I just don't see us signing 7 first team players.
Olise is £60m that’s his buyout and you have to make that payment in one instalment, Chalobah is a huge downgrade on AWB if he’s brought in to play right back at CB Kambawla potentially offers more ?

This is the same every summer. 10 in and 10 out.

Olise is £60m that’s his buyout and you have to make that payment in one instalment, Chalobah is a huge downgrade on AWB if he’s brought in to play right back at CB Kambawla potentially offers more ?
Chalobah is center back depth, Wan Bissaka shouldn't be going anywhere.

Olise I thought all the rumors were saying 45m or so? If it is anything higher like that though, then I'd just prefer to keep our wingers as is, give Amad more time and focus the funds on CB, DM, LB and CF.

• Chalobah - 25m
  • Branthwaite - 70m?
  • Amrabat - 15m?
  • Olise - 45m
  • DM starter - ???
  • Guirassey - 15m

Outgoing;
  • Varane
  • Evans
  • Eriksen
  • Casemiro
  • Van de beek
  • Antony (loan)
  • Sancho
  • Greenwood
  • Martial

I really hope we’re not buying likes of Amrabat, Chalobah and Guirassey it’s just collecting more squad players who aren’t really good enough ans we’ve already got plenty of those.

We need to end our obsession with squad players and guys who do a job in a handful of games like Mctominay and AWB and build a core group of quality players and younger players with potential to reach those standards. Amrabat will be on the list of deadwood in a year if we sign him.

I really hope we’re not buying likes of Amrabat, Chalobah and Guirassey it’s just collecting more squad players who aren’t really good enough ans we’ve already got plenty of those.

We need to end our obsession with squad players and guys who do a job in a handful of games like Mctominay and AWB and build a core group of quality players and younger players with potential to reach those standards. Amrabat will be on the list of deadwood in a year if we sign him.
It's incremental and you gotta fill the squad sometimes even if it means replacing them later. We have a shitty financial situation. Gotta make do however we can to prioritize some positions and make do with guys like Amrabat in others. Squad players are hugely important and you need the right blend of ages, quality and in the right wages as your squad players.

It's incremental and you gotta fill the squad sometimes even if it means replacing them later. We have a shitty financial situation. Gotta make do however we can to prioritize some positions and make do with guys like Amrabat in others. Squad players are hugely important and you need the right blend of ages, quality and in the right wages as your squad players.

And one of the reasons for that situation is collecting and being unable to get rid of these types of players. We have a squad littered with squad players, what’s important is players good enough to start or pushing to start. The priority is not spending 60m on players who don’t improve the team, it’s the last thing we need to do if finances are tight.

We have no need to make do with Amrabat, it’s 20 odd million to sign him permanently we don’t need to just shrug our shoulders and hand it over. After the Brighton game no one would have said keep Amrabat but one good game later and we have to make do with him. If that’s best the club can come up with then it’s a total waste of time.

And one of the reasons for that situation is collecting and being unable to get rid of these types of players. We have a squad littered with squad players, what’s important is players good enough to start or pushing to start. The priority is not spending 60m on players who don’t improve the team, it’s the last thing we need to do if finances are tight.

We have no need to make do with Amrabat, it’s 20 odd million to sign him permanently we don’t need to just shrug our shoulders and hand it over. After the Brighton game no one would have said keep Amrabat but one good game later and we have to make do with him. If that’s best the club can come up with then it’s a total waste of time.

Yeah, I'd say backup striker is maybe the one exception where a veteran squad player makes sense, but otherwise you'd like to see the non-marquee signings (we need proper signings at DM and RCB) being young players with potential bought since we can entice them with decent wages and actual playing time if we're talking about a left-sided defender and another #6/#8.

Yeah, I'd say backup striker is maybe the one exception where a veteran squad player makes sense, but otherwise you'd like to see the non-marquee signings (we need proper signings at DM and RCB) being young players with potential bought since we can entice them with decent wages and actual playing time if we're talking about a left-sided defender and another #6/#8.
Thing is, we have Mainoo and the new starting DM should be a younger guy ready to start. We need 6 midfielders, 2 per position, and Amrabat as a depth player works well. And it's not that much for a squad guy who can put in a decent job for a few years.

Let's say we get someone like Wharton to partner Mainoo (we won't, but anyway)... Wharton, mainoo, Bruno as the starting mid, amrabat, McTominay and Mount as the depth players is perfectly fine for where we are at.

We need to get younger yes, but that doesn't mean every single signing must be young. We also just need to address our positions of need even if it means getting stop gap signings in some (like backup CF and the backup CM).

Ultimately you need 2 players per position basically. We have lots of squad players who aren't relevant, injury prone and don't suit the system (whatever system we aim to play). We could do a lot worse than Amrabat, McTominay and Mount as a backup trio for Mainoo, Bruno and a new younger DM who will starter. That's a good age mix among the group too.

We have tons of CB's who are all old. There we need to get younger and less injury prone, along with shedding numbers. We need a depth CB and a starting CB.

In attack we have lots of youth so could do with an older head to compete with Hojlund (like Toney).

The important thing is you can't have depth players on 200k per week or more, you can't have your depth players all be injury prone as it's essentially throwing cash in the trash if they aren't available when you need them to rotate in, and you can't be spending big money on depth. But also if you have more (or less) than 2 players in a position, then you need to address it. Either sell players, or buy players. That's why right back is one of the very few positions where are actually set in my head. 2 players with a clear starter but a good depth option, 2 players who stay fit, players who are at the right wage relative to their level and gametime, players who are at the right ages for what we need them to be. The rest is mostly a mess.

This seems very optimistic to me. I am certainly guilty of overhyping some of our youth, but I don't see Kambawla as a premier league player. Love his enthusiasm and his speed over distance, but he isn't very tall, he doesn't look all that comfortable on the ball, and he looked like a schoolboy out of his depth in his battle with Solanke. Its a very limited sample size, I agree, but its just my thoughts.

Ultimately you need 2 players per position basically. We have lots of squad players who aren't relevant, injury prone and don't suit the system (whatever system we aim to play). We could do a lot worse than Amrabat, McTominay and Mount as a backup trio for Mainoo, Bruno and a new younger DM who will starter. That's a good age mix among the group too.

We have tons of CB's who are all old. There we need to get younger and less injury prone, along with shedding numbers. We need a depth CB and a starting CB.

In attack we have lots of youth so could do with an older head to compete with Hojlund (like Toney).

The important thing is you can't have depth players on 200k per week or more, you can't have your depth players all be injury prone as it's essentially throwing cash in the trash if they aren't available when you need them to rotate in, and you can't be spending big money on depth. But also if you have more (or less) than 2 players in a position, then you need to address it. Either sell players, or buy players. That's why right back is one of the very few positions where are actually set in my head. 2 players with a clear starter but a good depth option, 2 players who stay fit, players who are at the right wage relative to their level and gametime, players who are at the right ages for what we need them to be. The rest is mostly a mess.
Agree with you about RB. I also like how we could pick the starter to match the opposition. If its at home and we are going to have a lot of the ball, then we go with Dalot. If its against City/Poo/Arsenal or maybe Brighton and their Japanese fella, or another side with a high quality left wing, then we go with AWB.

This seems very optimistic to me. I am certainly guilty of overhyping some of our youth, but I don't see Kambawla as a premier league player. Love his enthusiasm and his speed over distance, but he isn't very tall, he doesn't look all that comfortable on the ball, and he looked like a schoolboy out of his depth in his battle with Solanke. Its a very limited sample size, I agree, but its just my thoughts.

Kambawla isn’t very tall , he’s 6’4 just, he’s nursing injuries and is rated by the French Federation for a reason. He’s actually very good on the ball, quick and strong and more importantly not 20 til 25th August this year.

I mean he isn’t very tall wow, some United fans just don’t go to live games or watch our under 18’s teams come through, live football is completely different from you tube highlights ok!

https://sportsbuzzpress.com/willy-k...yer-profile-career-stats-net-worth-and-dream/

An other striker - 1 is not enough: Give me Alexander Isak (if United do not keep Greenwood).
A centrale midfielder or two instead of Casemiro and Eriksen.
A centrale defender
A left back - Shaw is too often out. Malacia is not good enough.

Dier on a free anyone? Was very good for Bayern. Their best defender according to their fans after he signed.

Kambawla isn’t very tall , he’s 6’4 just, he’s nursing injuries and is rated by the French Federation for a reason. He’s actually very good on the ball, quick and strong and more importantly not 20 til 25th August this year.

I mean he isn’t very tall wow, some United fans just don’t go to live games or watch our under 18’s teams come through, live football is completely different from you tube highlights ok!

https://sportsbuzzpress.com/willy-k...yer-profile-career-stats-net-worth-and-dream/
6'4?? That is very surprising. And you're right; I wish I could afford to go to live games but alas. Thanks for sharing that perspective!

Last edited:
I was curious about the claim so I googled it and, you're right, all of the stuff I found says that Willie Kambawla is 6'4. Google also says that Varane is 6'3.

Its a mystery that can only be solved by attending matches in person!

0_GettyImages-1808004744.jpg

Edit for more fun: Google says Scott McT is also 6'4, same as Willy.

Willy_Kambwala_Manchester_United_2023-24.jpg

Dier on a free anyone? Was very good for Bayern. Their best defender according to their fans after he signed.
On a free as a squad filler if he takes a reasonable wage. Can play multiple positions and help close games down. Not suggesting as a first team first pick but as a squad player

Maatsen LB - 35m
Kelly CB - free
Yoro CB - 60m
Neves CM - 85m
Dier CB/DM - free
Olise RW - 55m
Lukaku CF - loan OR Dybala CF 12m

then next summer go all out on CF & another CM/DM

Just stuck him because he’s free, can always address that one later. Unless someone can suggest a cheapish one

Rabiot available on a free as well. The 20m option on Amrabat would probably be a better move than Dier too.