What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

RedStag95

If we have a budget of £150m after sales, I’d go for
Todibo - 35m
Bremer - 40m
Kerkez - 10-15m
Palhinha - 40-50m
Guirassy - 15m
Bremer is £51m at the bare minimum but most places have him being more, Kerkez would be at least £30m and Palinha would be £50m+. Good list of players but no way any of them are that cheap

Roboc7

We need about a dozen players but this summer we need to focus on two centre backs, two midfielders, a full back and a striker. Simply can’t afford not to strengthen in those positions, striker might be the big compromise as may need to make do with a cheaper short term option.

spe88

Would be very happy with 4 players that just improve the starting 11.

Branthwaite
Joao Gomes
Hjulmand
Kubo

——————Onana——————
Dalot—Branthwaite—Martinez—Shaw
——Joao Gomes—Hjulmand——
—Kubo——Fernandes——Garnacho—
——————Hojlund——————

The-Mezzala

LB Doughty, Dorgu
RCB Bremer , Todibo
LCB Icnacio, Lukeba
CDM Onanna,Varela
CM Neves, Koopminers, Ederson
RW Olise , Nico Williams,
ST Jonathan David, Toney, Solanke, Guirassy

Onerealunited

We very sadly need to improve on many positions. And this will take time. We need to improve and upgrade on many positions one by one and should do so by only getting in players that will start or directly fight with whoever is starting today. In no order of priority, we should as a minimum already upgrade below 6 positions.

CB:
One of Varane, Lindelof or Evans has to be upgraded on. Ideally with someone who is to start next to Martinez from day 1.

LB:
With Malacias long long long term injury, Shaws injury record and Dalots strength on RB we need to upgrade in Malacia with one LB that can compete with Shaw from day one

DM:
Casemiro might be difficult to sell. Mctominay is most likely not going anywhere. Amrabat will leave. We need to upgrade on Amrabat with a DM that can start ahead of Casemiro. If not possible to sell Casemiro can act as a back-up which would strengthen our bench

CM:
Eriksen needs to leave and we need to upgrade on him big time ideally with someone that can play from start and guide Mainoo in the long term

RW:
Antony is not gonna work. We have tried and tried. It is time to upgrade on him. Loan him out or sell if possible. Ideally a winger that can play both right or left but if not someone strong on RW should do wonders for us.

CF:
Hojlund needs competition. We need someone that can play games when Hojlund is not in form. We need to UPGRADE on Martial who should leave

BorisManUtd

Sell/don't extend/loan: Wan Bissaka, Lindelof, Varane, Casemiro, Amrabat, Eriksen, McTominay, van de Beek, Antony, Greenwood, Sancho, Martial.

Love Varane but his contract expires next month and him being injury-prone will decide against keeping him. Casemiro can hopefully be sold to Saudi Arabia. McTominay has been brilliant goals wise this season but we have to attacking midfielders and should not really on him for goals. He's 27, PL proven and we can can decent money for him. Antony I don't see how we manage to sell him so either a loan or keeping him as an option as we may have to. I'd even sell Rashford but with long contract and huge wages no one is taking him.

Buy: backup RB, starting CB, new LB, starting DM, backup CM, starting RW, starting ST.

With Shaw and Malacia being out injured for so long, not sure we can rely on them staying fit next season. Both left and right wing positions seem most complicated to me. Garnacho and Amad aren't guaranteed starters and Rashford has been so poor this season. You'd think we'll sell Greenwood and Sancho so they are most probably thing of the past. Would go for Toney or Solanke at ST

Whether we qualify for Europe or not will be a factor probably as well.

Last edited:

kaku06

Vulgarian
Bremer is £51m at the bare minimum but most places have him being more, Kerkez would be at least £30m and Palinha would be £50m+. Good list of players but no way any of them are that cheap
You might be correct regarding the prices and that’s a worry give our budget.

Woziak

Sell/don't extend/loan: Wan Bissaka, Lindelof, Varane, Casemiro, Amrabat, Eriksen, McTominay, van de Beek, Antony, Greenwood, Sancho, Martial.

Love Varane but his contract expires next month and him being injury-prone will decide against keeping him. Casemiro can hopefully be sold to Saudi Arabia. McTominay has been brilliant goals wise this season but we have to attacking midfielders and should not really on him for goals. He's 27, PL proven and we can can decent money for him. Antony I don't see how we manage to sell him so either a loan or keeping him as an option as we may have to. I'd even sell Rashford but with long contract and huge wages no one is taking him.

Buy: backup RB, starting CB, new LB, starting DM, backup CM, starting RW, starting ST.

With Shaw and Malacia being out injured for so long, not sure we can rely on them staying fit next season. Both left and right wing positions seem most complicated to me. Garnacho and Amad aren't guaranteed starters and Rashford has been so poor this season. You'd think we'll sell Greenwood and Sancho so they are most probably thing of the past. Would go for Toney or Solanke at ST

Whether we qualify for Europe or not will be a factor probably as well.
I’d go for Solanke as well but I get the impression this summer is critical, most fans are saying we need 6-7 players minimum!
The reality isn’t so much European qualification as in the current EPL format for PSR 24/25 season just like Chelsea we could have one season out of European Competition and basically spend what we want.

I’ll explain if we qualify for Europe we can only Spend 80% of our revenue for the fiscal year January 24 to December 31st 2024 on Wages, Agent Fees, Transfer payments and Amortised or owed transfer payments(Historic). With No CL football this year and no European football, I’d take a guess that the Gross Revenue reduces to maybe £570-580m, this will be different from Financial year accounts which run from March 31st to April 1st and those will be probably as high as £670m with last years CL 6 matches included.

Eighty percent of £570m is a threshold of £456m, Our current wages and it’s important to remember that half of the year will be fixed in this figure are £324m this includes 1084 employees, Directors, Mens, Youth, Women’s and all staff fees, the men’s part is about £220m of that figure. There are some concessions with female and youth team structure, however it’s way too big and why Sir Jim is trying to force people back to office work, he’s looking for easy resignations, it’s why players like Casemiro, Martial, Varane and Sancho they want to leave. Ineos don’t believe they are getting value for money and they are right!

So the mistake most United fans are making is that if we’ve got no European football we will have less room to spend this is not true. It’s also important noting that removing Martial, Varane, Casemiro, Eriksen, Lindelof, Sancho will not save you £1,250m per week on the wages and instantly bring down the £324m to £260m because we’ve paid their wages already for half of the UEFA accounting period up to June 2024. From next season there is a 20/25% clause in all United players contracts so even Rashford, Mount, Bruno, Maguire, Onana, Martinez would not be receiving their combined £1.2m but instead £62m in wages that would reduce to £47m so there would be a 6 month saving of about £7.5m maybe £12-13m on the whole squad left. It’s fair to assume that even with all the necessary sacking, selling, releasing and restructuring the club would still have a combined wage bill of maybe £285m, add that figure to the £103m that must be paid in historic transfer fees to other football clubs and you then add £30m of Agent fees, there would be very little room to manoeuvre in the transfer market possibly as little as £28m amortised maybe £100m max and that’s a risk, we would absolutely have to sell Academy players like Greenwood and Mctominay to be able to spend £200-250m.

Now if we don’t qualify we are not complied to abide by those rules and the new PSR anchoring rules do not start to 2025/26 season as does the 70/85% FSP rule. That means that United could providing they do not breach the current PSR rule of losing more than £105m over a three year period, spend what they want within reason. United have lost £41m on last years accounts in the last period of this measuring stick however Sir Jim has invested more than £90m allowed which basically means the club is actually allowed to spend potentially 90% of their revenue which was last season at £648m, the EPL uses financial year and this year it will be 90% reducing to 85% next year if you are not in Europe and 70% if you are.

Effectively that means that the threshold this summer without European football would be £583m for a club like United so with £280m Wages, £30m Agent Fees and £103m amortised, that would leave a huge £185m before amortisation, a budget of £300-400m could be spent like Chelsea did without any penalty whatsoever.

Todd

We're in such a hole because we didn't sign enough players last summer, and now the needs are overwhelming and this process of rebuilding the squad is going to take several transfer windows.

This summer we should focus on signing three players to go directly into the first eleven (RCB, DM, ST) and at least three players as squad players (LCB, LB, CM). And I'd hate to say it but at this point we should considering bringing Sancho back into the mix, and hope that an improved attitude along with a fresh start with a new manager will make things work out with him.

------------------------------NEW ST---------------------------
Garnacho-------------------------------------------Sancho
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------Bruno--------Mainoo--------------------
-----------------------------NEW DM----------------------------
Shaw-------------------------------------------------------Dalot
-------------------Martinez-----NEW RCB------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------Onana------------------------------

I think we should be in for Osimhen, Kimmich, and Todibo.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
New GK
New CB x2
New WB x2
New CM x2
New RW
New ST

That's with Varane, Evans, Malacia, Casemiro, Eriksen and Martial going.

Basically, it's fecking open heart surgery.

SER19

Not as much as people think.

CB
DM
LEFT BACK
STRIKER

are the only essentials I would say, though Olise would be a welcome addition.

If we only addressed the above though and lined up something like

Onana

Dalot
Brainthwaite
Martinez
Ait Nouri

Neves
Mainoo
Fernandes

Diallo
Striker/Hojlund
Garnacho

Its a huge improvement. Assuming Martinez stays fit you've an actual back line for a season. A proper DM as casemiro just way off it, and another striker option. Decent depth in squad then too with kambwala, one of maguire/Varane, shaw, mount, rashford, hojlund, among others.

Assuming fitness, i don't think there's a huge overhaul needed in one window.

The Irish Connection

Two centre backs, two midfielders and a front 3.

Gamble on Shaw and Malacia staying fit next season, and buy Guirassy for CF as the saved money can be used elsewhere.

AndyMUFC

CB, CM and ST are the main priorities for me. All of which we needed last year which tells you all you need to know!

Ideally we need two centre backs and two centre midfielders for me as I'm not a massive fan of most of our options, but that's not going to happen.

Redivy

Diomande
Lucumi
Doughty
Zubimendi
Hayden Hackney
Olise
Guirassy

You could get all that done for about 230m, with Zubimendi, Olise and Guirassy having low release clauses, and Doughty being on a free.

Keepers:
Onana
Bayindir

Centre backs:
Martinez
Diomande
Lucumi
Kambwala
Lindelof
Evans

Fullbacks:
Dalot
Shaw
AWB
Doughty

Midfielders:
Zubimendi
Mainoo
Fernandes
Mount
McTominay
Hackney

Wingers:
Rashford
Garnacho
Olise
Antony
Diallo

Strikers:
Holjund
Guirassy

That is a much stronger squad, The only worry would be carry a large squad without champions league or Europa will most definitely lead to upset players, as the chances we will have another campaign with 60+ injuries is very unlikely.

I don't think we will be able to part ways with Antony, but I'd ideally like him to go to. I think its time for Casemiro, Varane and Maguire to move on.
Other departures include Sancho, Greenwood, Eriksen, Martial.

The-Mezzala

New manager.

Guirassy - 15m
Olise - 55m
Joao Neves - 85m
cheap defensive mid, maybe Guido Rodriguez (free)
Todibo or Bremer - 45m
another cheap or free centre back
another cheap winger

roughly 240m spent

sell Sancho (30-40m), Greenwood (30m) , Antony (20m) , Pellistri (7m) , Hannibal (7m) , A.Carreras (6m)

Roughly 105m brought in.

So around 135m net spend.

We could obviously sell a few more too.
Surely doable.

I would take Tuchel at this stage on a short contract.

Wilcox will surely see that we need at least one new winger.

I agree with all those choices. I was thinking Guido but apparently he is going Barca now. Would of been a decent signing on a free.

Woziak

I agree with all those choices. I was thinking Guido but apparently he is going Barca now. Would of been a decent signing on a free.
Sensible choices however why don’t we also target the best players at teams like;
Wolves; M Kilman, P Neto, J Gomes
Palace; Eze, Wharton, M Ghuei and Olise
Luton; R Barkley (Free)
Fulham; T Aderbiyou (Free), A Robinson
Bouremouth; A Scott, D Solanki, M kerkez
West Ham; M Kudas
Brentford; B Mbeumo
Everton; J Branthwaite
Nott Forrest; M Gibbs White
Arsenal; E Smith-Rowe

I think if we are having a mass clear out at least 4/5 of new signings should be PL proven and from this list

daba

With the Bruno and Casemiro rumours could we be looking at something like this next year?

——————— Onana ———————

Dalot — Todibo — Martinez — Shaw

—— Neves — Mainoo — Thuram——

Olise ——— Hojlund ——— Garnacho

The Irish Connection

Yeah, not sure if there are any other defensive mids out there for frees or in the last year. Rabiot I guess, but think we should steer clear of him.

Id probably go for Doué as the cheap wing option. Apparently around €30m and could play attacking midfield too.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
According to this website

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/manchester-united-fc/cap/_/year/2023

Here is what we'll be saving per week in wages after the summer, with realistic/confirmed departures.

Casemiro - £350,000
Varane - £340,000
Martial - £250,000
Sancho - £250,000
Donny - £120,000
Amrabat - £65,000
Greenwood - £50,000

£1,425,000 per week wiped off the wage bill and even if those figures are inflated, it's still well over a million per week gone.

Blood Mage

Too much for one transfer window. We might have to accept a couple of seasons out of the top four.

We need to look for bargains this summer or better yet freebies. Guirassy looks like a no-brainer, would be relatively cheap and has had a terrific season.

Blood Mage

With the Bruno and Casemiro rumours could we be looking at something like this next year?

——————— Onana ———————

Dalot — Todibo — Martinez — Shaw

—— Neves — Mainoo — Thuram——

Olise ——— Hojlund ——— Garnacho
A Tobido/Martinez partnership would be exploited for fun in the air. I would go for someone like Maxence Lacroix instead plus he'd be cheaper than Tobido.

Woziak

Here is what we'll be saving per week in wages after the summer, with realistic/confirmed departures.

Casemiro - £350,000
Varane - £340,000
Martial - £250,000
Sancho - £250,000
Donny - £120,000
Amrabat - £65,000
Greenwood - £50,000

£1,425,000 per week wiped off the wage bill and even if those figures are inflated, it's still well over a million per week gone.
Plus a further 25% for not playing in the Champions League for the rest of the squad.

Woziak

Better wingers. Our wide goalscorers are pretty poor.
So many fans watching Garnaucho as a superstar, the kid will be a world beater but right now he still has a lot of developing. We really need to replace our whole front three or hope Rashford gets back to form.

Garnaucho stats are ok 47 matches Goals 9 Assists 5, he’s played too much football for a 20 year old, Antony and Amad’s stats are not great but Amad deserved more minutes. And for perspective a totally awful out of Form Rashford P40 Goals 8 Assists 5.

Hojlund is 40 games 14 goals and 2 assists. United need all three of frontline at 1 in 2 goal involvements per match. That’s why right now we need to replace at least 2 out of three. Michael Olise played 18 Goals 10 assists 5 he’s an absolute huge upgrade on all front three right now, add Solanki or Sesco and the current front three should be warming the bench.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Would be very happy with 4 players that just improve the starting 11.

Branthwaite
Joao Gomes
Hjulmand
Kubo

——————Onana——————
Dalot—Branthwaite—Martinez—Shaw
——Joao Gomes—Hjulmand——
—Kubo——Fernandes——Garnacho—
——————Hojlund——————
You’re replacing golden boy with Kubo?

aeh1991

Kubo is overrated and lacks the physique to play in the PL. I'd get Nico Williams or Olise for the RW position.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Casemiro - £350,000
Varane - £340,000
Martial - £250,000
Sancho - £250,000
Donny - £120,000
Amrabat - £65,000
Greenwood - £50,000

Also Eriksen at 150k and Lindelof (120k) or Maguire (190k).

RedIan

We need players who want to play !! i watch Kyle walkers interview after the match last night, he has been there and done it. And is still he is full of grit and determination, football intelligence and has a real desire to play.
I look around our squad for a similar character and im struggling.

Big Andy

Bloke
What we need is to build a team that will stay together for a good few years. For the last 10 years now, we've built teams that need to be replaced every two years, buying players 30 and over or players coming for a payday.

Build a squad of established young players, with experience alongside them and train them to play together. A season outside of Europe would be much better for us in the long run as it gives the manager time on the training pitch to get his tactical ideas across, rather than playing every 3 days and just doing recovery/fitness work.

Big Andy

Bloke

Casemiro - £350,000
Varane - £340,000
Martial - £250,000
Sancho - £250,000
Donny - £120,000
Amrabat - £65,000
Greenwood - £50,000

Tha mad thing is, you could sell all of them and you'd only really miss Casemiro as the others rarely play.

fps

The question I have is:-

Who would be a transformational signing?

The player we hoped Pogba would be, the one who changes the whole culture, leads the dressing room, sets new standards, lifts everyone around him to new heights?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The question I have is:-

Who would be a transformational signing?

The player we hoped Pogba would be, the one who changes the whole culture, leads the dressing room, sets new standards, lifts everyone around him to new heights?
If you’re waiting for that Cantona moment you will be waiting a while.

we need to strategically add players who are going to raise the level of the squad

Woziak

Kubo is overrated and lacks the physique to play in the PL. I'd get Nico Williams or Olise for the RW position.
Totally agree Kubo is a non starter, Michael Olise is by far the best option his stats are insane this season, he’s played 18 PL games 10 Goals 5 assists that’s a Goal or assist every 1.2 games in a league where we play not an over rated foreign league.

The year before played 37 games 2 Goals 11 assists that’s 1 in 3 in a struggling team and year before that 7 G/A in 26 matches so we gave a body of work in the PL over the last three years where he’s a young player improving.

M Olise 3 Year PL record; P81 matches, Goals 14, Assists 21 so 37 GI in 81 is 1 in 2.18 games, that’s at Palace generally in a team struggling more than us over a 3 year period. United currently have only one player over a 3 year stretch that has that type of threat in PL and it’s not Garnaucho or Hojlund who are still developing, it’s most certainly not Sancho or Anthony.

Only Rashford this season P31 G7 A2, Last season P35 G17 A5 and the season before P25 G4 A2 combined P91 G28 A9 GI 37 average GI is 1 in 2.45 in the PL.

HOJLUND this year being starved 8 goals 2 assists 28 PL Matches 1 in 2.8 in the PL

Garnaucho Last two years 23/24; P34 G7 A4 GI 11 in 34 average 1 in 3.1
22/23 ; P19 G3 A2 GI5 average 1 in 3.8
He’s improving but he’s far too wasteful to be starting ever game we now have a body of work to look at and he takes 3.3 games to score or assist, that’s not good enough only Elise Stats would be good enough but it looks like you only get 25-30 PL matches out of him, the same applies to Rasmus whose still developing and Marcus actually gives you 30 games a season.

This summer we need to fix, the defence, the midfield but we need two new strikers that offer 1 in 2 or better than. Olise at £55m would be brilliant business, Amad is almost a like for like left footed right winger play maker and both suit a new overlapping Right Back.

Whether we go for Watkins, Toney, Solanki or Sesko, all 4 are technically much better than Rasmus, touch, spatial awareness, making the right runs and any of those 4 would link up well with Olise and Rashford(yes I’m backing him but it’s his last chance, I just think we can’t underestimate Luke shaw not being fit huge impact on his game), however I’d let him and Garnaucho fight it out and tell them whichever one shows me they can get 10-15 PL goals and 7-10 Assists will be first choice.

If we started without any European Football with these attacking options; Rashford, Sesco, Olise, Garnaucho, Hojlund and Amad, that should be enough to get top 6 swap Sesco for Watkins I’d pretty confident of top 4.

NoPace

Current guess is we sign:

-LB
-RCB
-DM
-ST
-5th player unclear position

and that's it, leaving us a bit short (particularly in midfield and at RB), but with a core 18 or so:

Hojlund + Striker
Garnacho, Rashford, Amad, Forson/Pellistri/Academy
Bruno, Mount
DM, Mainoo, McTominay
LB, Shaw
Lisandro, RCB, Maguire
Dalot
Onana, Bayindir

So maybe the 5th guy is a young player who can play RB/DM/CM like ideally you find the next Laimer type of guy. Archie Gray would be the cadillac young option. Ironically just keeping Garner would have been fine as he's played all those roles, though 15M seems like an acceptable price for him.

Maybe one more Amrabat style loan for that type of player too.

daba

Current guess is we sign:

-LB
-RCB
-DM
-ST
-5th player unclear position

and that's it, leaving us a bit short (particularly in midfield and at RB), but with a core 18 or so:

Hojlund + Striker
Garnacho, Rashford, Amad, Forson/Pellistri/Academy
Bruno, Mount
DM, Mainoo, McTominay
LB, Shaw
Lisandro, RCB, Maguire
Dalot
Onana, Bayindir

So maybe the 5th guy is a young player who can play RB/DM/CM like ideally you find the next Laimer type of guy. Archie Gray would be the cadillac young option. Ironically just keeping Garner would have been fine as he's played all those roles, though 15M seems like an acceptable price for him.

Maybe one more Amrabat style loan for that type of player too.
Id fill that 5th position with Geertruida who can play RB, RCB and DM. Would probably only cost £30m too.

Dve

A budget of 100m could be spent like this:

Sell Greenwood, Antony and Sancho. 100m. Buy Olise 60m (release clause)
= - 40m

Sell Bissaka 15m. Buy Frimpong 35m (release clause)
= 20m

Sell Lindelöf and Maguire 35m. Extend Evans 1 year. Buy Antonio Silva and Braithwaite 145m
= 110m

Sell Casemiro and Eriksen 40m. Buy Amrabat and Onana 60m
= 20m

Buy Guirassy 15m (release clause)
= 15m

Sell as many as we can of Alvaro Fernandez, Mejbri, Pellestri, Donny + some academy players
= - 25m

SUM: 100m

Squad next season:

Keepers:
Onana, Bayindir, whoever we can sign for free

CD:
Martinez, Braithwaite, Silva, Kambwala, Evans

R/L B.
Dalot, Frimpong, Shaw, Malacia

M:
Mainoo, Onana, Amrabat, Fernandes, Mount, McTominay

R/L W: