Neves
Alderweireld

XI - 4-2-2-2
De Gea
Dalot-Alderweireld-Lindelof-Shaw
-------------Herrera------Neves------------
Sancho---------------------------Pogba
Griezmann-----Rashford
Possible window but doesn't seem to much linking us to Neves at the moment. Can't make my mind up if Griezmann wants to sign or if he just likes playing games

croadyman

I think a brilliant and achievable/affordable summer would be:
Wan bissaka
Tierney
Skriniar
Sancho
And nick Rabiot.

Could also clear out the obvious crud - valencia, rojo, jones, darmian, sanchez etc etc
Would that involve Tierney as backup to Shaw or first choice

ErranMorad

I feel we need to add a top striker to mix. I know people think it's not a priority with Lukaku, Rashford & Martial; however, someone with RVP like ability can totally transform us. We need a striker who is good with their back to the goal. Someone with an excellent first touch, hold up & link up that brings others in to play, and who can create and score goals on their own. A top team like us should have a 30 goal striker. Sir Alex signed RVP when we already had Rooney, Hernandez & Welbeck. Ole should too even though he has Lukaku, Rashford and Martial.

Sanche7

I'll be very happy if we can get a RB, RW, CB and CM
A lot will depend on the outgoing transfers. I can see us not renewing Mata's contract also trying to sell Sanchez. If that's the case, we will just have Lingard, Martial, Rashford and Lukaku as attacking players and we would need 1-2 attackers.

Similarly if Herrera leaves, we will need 2 CMs as we will be going into the season with Pogba, Matic, Fred, McT and Pereira.
I would also say that we need a LB and an oldish RB plus a CB. Again depending on the outgoings this can change, I wouldn't be against selling Rojo, Jones and Bailly if we can get a top class CB and a young CB. Our FB situation is also not great as Valencia and Darmian look set to leave, which leaves us with Dalot, Shaw and Young as our options.

So minimum we should be looking for 4 players. My preference would be
RB - Meunier : 25-30 mill
CB - Koulibaly : 80 mill
RW - Sancho : 100 mill (120 with add-ons)
CM - No idea really
If we can get Rabiot for free and sell Rojo, Darmian for 30 mill combined in addition to the 10 mill we got for Fele, the net spend will be nearly 150 mill
Would love a LB like Tierney (30 mill) and backup attacker (Striker or Winger preferably Werner or Lozano for 35-40 mill) taking the combined total to 220 odd million

Last edited:

Jezpeza

Would that involve Tierney as backup to Shaw or first choice
I think as backup. But over time he might surpass Shaw like TAA and Clyne or perhaps they can rotate on injuries/ftigue/form. He wouldnt cost 60mil like Sandro or Telles and I think a LB is low priority for us compared to say RW, RB and CB

the_irish123

Would it be impossible to sign Son? Watched him vs Colombia and he never fails to impress me, although he needs to pass it a bit more.

Hammer_st

I still would love Dybala, Joao Felix and Sancho. For sure, these are just offensiv players and three big signings. But these would give us more flexibility.
Left Wing: Martial, Dybala, Rashford, Joao Felix, Lingard
Right Wing: Sancho, Dybala, Rashford, Joao Felix, Lingard
Attacker: Rashford, Martial, Dybala
OM: Pogba, Joao Felix, Dybala, Lingard
CM: Herrera, Pogba
DM: Matic, Herrera, McTominay
LB: Shaw, Young, Darmian
CB: Lindelöf, Smalling, Jones, Bailly
RB: Dalot, Young, Darmian

I think that would be a squad which can win titels. I know there are some weaknesses in our defensive, but I dont see a Player who will change this for a moderate price (Koulibaly 150mio) or were the player seems to swap to a other team (De Ligt).

ash_86

CHO - 50m
Alder - 25m
Ndomble- 60m
Wan-Bissaca- 40m
Total- 175m

The above is very realistic and address a lot of key areas we need to add quality.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I feel we need to add a top striker to mix. I know people think it's not a priority with Lukaku, Rashford & Martial; however, someone with RVP like ability can totally transform us. We need a striker who is good with their back to the goal. Someone with an excellent first touch, hold up & link up that brings others in to play, and who can create and score goals on their own. A top team like us should have a 30 goal striker. Sir Alex signed RVP when we already had Rooney, Hernandez & Welbeck. Ole should too even though he has Lukaku, Rashford and Martial.
A top striker of RVP calibre would be great. However, are there any realistic ones out there?

And if there are, you would be looking at obscene money. I just don't see it in the budget.

On another note: with all the positions we need to fill, Alderweild looks a wise signing.

Jezpeza

I still would love Dybala, Joao Felix and Sancho. For sure, these are just offensiv players and three big signings. But these would give us more flexibility.
Left Wing: Martial, Dybala, Rashford, Joao Felix, Lingard
Right Wing: Sancho, Dybala, Rashford, Joao Felix, Lingard
Attacker: Rashford, Martial, Dybala
OM: Pogba, Joao Felix, Dybala, Lingard
CM: Herrera, Pogba
DM: Matic, Herrera, McTominay
LB: Shaw, Young, Darmian
CB: Lindelöf, Smalling, Jones, Bailly
RB: Dalot, Young, Darmian

I think that would be a squad which can win titels. I know there are some weaknesses in our defensive, but I dont see a Player who will change this for a moderate price (Koulibaly 150mio) or were the player seems to swap to a other team (De Ligt).
Might want to look at the defence mate

Cliche Guevara

Gap to who exactly? We finished above the scouse last season and they're in the title race this season.

This should have been a title challenging season the fact Jose (and maybe the board) fecked it up doesn't reduce where we should have been
I completely agree. Even as things stand we’ll be comfortably top three next season.

Fosu-Mens

I completely agree. Even as things stand we’ll be comfortably top three next season.
Might get top 3 if Pogba is not injured.
Regardless we will be still be an ocean behind Liverpool and City in points and quality, like we are this season. Not that we will be able to close this gap in one season without spending £500m.

Cliche Guevara

Might get top 3 if Pogba is not injured.
Regardless we will be still be an ocean behind Liverpool and City in points and quality, like we are this season. Not that we will be able to close this gap in one season without spending £500m.
As the guy said, we finished above Liverpool last season and they’ve been lucky as feck this season.

I expect us to significantly improve next season just through Ole and the younger players getting a year older.

Fosu-Mens

As the guy said, we finished above Liverpool last season and they’ve been lucky as feck this season.

I expect us to significantly improve next season just through Ole and the younger players getting a year older.
Our second place last season was "lucky". Liverpool have not been as good as City this season, but far better than us. Some of our younger players are likely to improve, but it will not close the gap as the two best teams in the league are also going to improve...

Without some serious changes in the squad over the next two seasons we are not going to challenge for PL/CL, as there is a limit to how much our youngers can improve and we have a number of players that offers little when playing and are not going to get better.

KingMinger22

Expect to be disappointed.

We won't get half of what we need for a title challenge.

KingMinger22

Who are likely our 4th or 5th choices in each position?

Because they will probably be who Woody recruits.

For evidence, see both LVG's and Moyes' recent interviews and Mourinho's comments last summer.

Wallez

Expect to be disappointed.

We won't get half of what we need for a title challenge.
We will certainly not be able to get a starting 11 that is as strong as City, but this is impossible in one transfer window with our budgets. However, we will have to do sensible deals and bring in young players with proper mentality. Let Solskjær and his team do this for a few years, and I think we will compete for the big titles.

Jezpeza

We will certainly not be able to get a starting 11 that is as strong as City, but this is impossible in one transfer window with our budgets. However, we will have to do sensible deals and bring in young players with proper mentality. Let Solskjær and his team do this for a few years, and I think we will compete for the big titles.
Its interesting. Moyes, LVG and Mourinho claimed they were shafted by Woody in the transfer market. City have breached FFP in obtaining what is quite an unprecedented squad in terms of strength in depth and what they have done is not sustainable.

If we go out and sign Some young talented players who are already quite good and can be developed (think Skriniar, Wan Bissaka, Sancho) then that forms a base to carry forward. Lets not forget the league contains City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham. Only one can win the league each season when arguably every board/set of fans expects to challenge for the title and I dont think anyone can expect to monopolise it anymore, winning 8 or 9 out of 10 titles as we did for a time.

Ulimately with recruitment i’d like to see the Glazers and Woody put to rest the qualms about them. Dont want to see anymore relics (Falcaos and Sanchez’s and Schweinsteigers) (read links to Alderweireld) or any white elephants like Di Maria (90m for the likes of Koulibaly) who at 27 is actually not worth that financial risk for a player who Will have few years left at the very top of his game and little resale value if he flops. Also dont want to see any bargain basement buys like Schneiderlin and Darmian. Will be interesting to see what we do

croadyman

Best person that comes to mind would probably be Jiminez at Wolves

croadyman

I'll be very happy if we can get a RB, RW, CB and CM
A lot will depend on the outgoing transfers. I can see us not renewing Mata's contract also trying to sell Sanchez. If that's the case, we will just have Lingard, Martial, Rashford and Lukaku as attacking players and we would need 1-2 attackers.

Similarly if Herrera leaves, we will need 2 CMs as we will be going into the season with Pogba, Matic, Fred, McT and Pereira.
I would also say that we need a LB and an oldish RB plus a CB. Again depending on the outgoings this can change, I wouldn't be against selling Rojo, Jones and Bailly if we can get a top class CB and a young CB. Our FB situation is also not great as Valencia and Darmian look set to leave, which leaves us with Dalot, Shaw and Young as our options.

So minimum we should be looking for 4 players. My preference would be
RB - Meunier : 25-30 mill
CB - Koulibaly : 80 mill
RW - Sancho : 100 mill (120 with add-ons)
CM - No idea really
If we can get Rabiot for free and sell Rojo, Darmian for 30 mill combined in addition to the 10 mill we got for Fele, the net spend will be nearly 150 mill
Would love a LB like Tierney (30 mill) and backup attacker (Striker or Winger preferably Werner or Lozano for 35-40 mill) taking the combined total to 220 odd million
Know that he is older but wouldn't mind an experienced CM like Kroos,failing that maybe someone like Fernandes/Neves

croadyman

CHO - 50m
Alder - 25m
Ndomble- 60m
Wan-Bissaca- 40m
Total- 175m

The above is very realistic and address a lot of key areas we need to add quality.
Just worry that Toby is not the same player of a couple of years ago,having said that may not be able to spend big in all areas

NoPace

Who are likely our 4th or 5th choices in each position?

Because they will probably be who Woody recruits.

For evidence, see both LVG's and Moyes' recent interviews and Mourinho's comments last summer.
Hmm, now I'm worried we'll sign Maguire, Trippier and Deulofeu, though honestly I'd still talk myself into a summer like that before Maguire loses his man, Trippier is up and down defensively and Deulofeu turns out to be best as a 9 and only a good fit on the right when Lukaku is in the box as a target and a terrible fit with Rashford and Martial.

Sanche7

Know that he is older but wouldn't mind an experienced CM like Kroos,failing that maybe someone like Fernandes/Neves
Don't think a midfield of Pogba Kroos can work, both are meh defensively and not the most mobile. We will need a really good DM who is able to run around and tackle like Casemero for that midfield to work.

lysglimt

Scout
Today - one newspaper linked us with Sancho, Rice and Wan-Bissaka…. that would make me really happy. It wouldnt make us candidates for next season - but it would solve a lot of areas for the next 10 years. And I would much rather we signed Young talents than spending £120 million on Griezmann (even if he short-term absolutely would be Worth it)

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Clearly need 4 players even if herrera stays and another one if he leaves. cant trust woodward with a fish bowl, so dont see him buying 5 players.
What id love
CB- koulibaly
CM- Nico barrela
RW- Nicolas pepe/Sancho
Rb - i would want dalot being given chances here and buy an experienced defender

What i think will happen
Fruitless chase after bale
Urgent transfer business with umtiti
Bending over backwards to keep herrera as we wont want to spend 50 million on a midfielder.
Sign hirving lozano and toby aldewierald and ole coming out with classic fergie line "No value in the market"

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Today - one newspaper linked us with Sancho, Rice and Wan-Bissaka…. that would make me really happy. It wouldnt make us candidates for next season - but it would solve a lot of areas for the next 10 years. And I would much rather we signed Young talents than spending £120 million on Griezmann (even if he short-term absolutely would be Worth it)
That would be a very good window imo. Young talents is what we should aim for, especially under Ole

Raw

I like that, though hopefully Dalot's development wouldn't be stinted since I believe he's got potential. Probably cost nearly £200m but it'll do us good in the long run, assuming we don't feck up their development. Perhaps we could find some shrewd deals to boost our squad even more and rinse out the deadwood. Someone like Alderweireld for example.

ArjenIsM3

Too bad that newspaper is The Sun eh? They also said we'd be in for Maguire should any of our CB's leave. I kind of like this idea of us getting a strong core of British players again. Don't see it happening though unfortunately.

Wallez

Its interesting. Moyes, LVG and Mourinho claimed they were shafted by Woody in the transfer market. City have breached FFP in obtaining what is quite an unprecedented squad in terms of strength in depth and what they have done is not sustainable.

If we go out and sign Some young talented players who are already quite good and can be developed (think Skriniar, Wan Bissaka, Sancho) then that forms a base to carry forward. Lets not forget the league contains City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham. Only one can win the league each season when arguably every board/set of fans expects to challenge for the title and I dont think anyone can expect to monopolise it anymore, winning 8 or 9 out of 10 titles as we did for a time.

Ulimately with recruitment i’d like to see the Glazers and Woody put to rest the qualms about them. Dont want to see anymore relics (Falcaos and Sanchez’s and Schweinsteigers) (read links to Alderweireld) or any white elephants like Di Maria (90m for the likes of Koulibaly) who at 27 is actually not worth that financial risk for a player who Will have few years left at the very top of his game and little resale value if he flops. Also dont want to see any bargain basement buys like Schneiderlin and Darmian. Will be interesting to see what we do
I absolutely agree. Any sensible club would have hired competent people to fill the role of a director of football and allow for long-term thinking in terms of transfer strategy. If we can bring in 2-3 players around the age of 18-23 each summer, where we utilize our massive scouting team to bring in only players with the abilities and mentality to make it in Manchester United, we will be a top team in a few years.

HD7

My dream transfer summer:
Ins:
Sancho 100M
Neves 100m
Varane/Skriniar 80M

Out: Sanchez, Mata, Valencia, Darmian, Rojo and probably Baily if he aint happy being rotated player.

Neves gradually taking over one of the places while rotating with Matic and Herrera
+ Giving Fred a chance in his second season under Ole. Adding Mctominay and Gomez think we arent so bad in the midfield depth.

Next targets: Rice and probably AWB who can be aquired in 2020.

Rice takes Matic place gradually. If Dalot position is switched into more of a winger —> buying AWB

Starting in 2020:
De Gea, Shaw, Lindelof, Skriniar, AWB, Rice, Pogba, Neves, Martial, Rash, Sancho

+ Herrera, Fred, Matic, Lukaku, Lingard, Chong, Smalling, Jones, Gomes, Greenwood etc, we will have a team with nice quality in depth too.

And Ole giving them the green to play quick attractive football at home and counterattack away = Dream :))

Last edited:

KingMinger22

I really fecking hope we have s blockbuster summer.

We are going absolutely nowhere without massive first team investment. Massive.

ErranMorad

I really fecking hope we have s blockbuster summer.

We are going absolutely nowhere without massive first team investment. Massive.
Massive is right. Need to drop £250m+

We need to strengthen with some top players. The positions I would add are:

- A quality center back (~60m)
- A back-up Left back (or a starting right back if Dalot is not deemed good enough to start next season) (~20m)
- A quality holding midfielder or central midfielder with good passing range. (~50m)
- A quality player who can play on the right side of the attack. (~80m)
- A versatile attacker who can play across the front line. (Wouldn't mind some one like Brooks) (~30m)

I feel we should always have top British players in our squad. Sancho & Brooks would be awesome; both have top potential. How good is Rice? Haven't seen much of him, but we should get him if he is good with the potential to get to the top. Can be an option at both DM & CB.

Generate money/free up with the wages by getting rid of:

- Bailly
- Rojo
- Darmian
- Sanchez
- Pereira
- Valencia
- Mata
- Fosu-Mensah
- Wilson

ForestRGoinUp

Massive is right. Need to drop £250m+

We need to strengthen with some top players. The positions I would add are:

- A quality center back (~60m)
- A back-up Left back (or a starting right back if Dalot is not deemed good enough to start next season) (~20m)
- A quality holding midfielder or central midfielder with good passing range. (~50m)
- A quality player who can play on the right side of the attack. (~80m)
- A versatile attacker who can play across the front line. (Wouldn't mind some one like Brooks) (~30m)

I feel we should always have top British players in our squad. Sancho & Brooks would be awesome; both have top potential. How good is Rice? Haven't seen much of him, but we should get him if he is good with the potential to get to the top. Can be an option at both DM & CB.

Generate money/free up with the wages by getting rid of:

- Bailly
- Rojo
- Darmian
- Sanchez
- Pereira
- Valencia
- Mata
- Fosu-Mensah
- Wilson
What if:

- Pogba and De Gea could get their moves to Madrid and we could get back Courtois, Bale and Varane? Mind you, I wouldn't want anything to do with them if they were only coming reluctantly like Di Maria. But I just like the certainty of getting players back for them, as opposed to a chunk of cash, which leads to inflated transfer fees on top of our already inflated fees.
- Rabiot AND Rakitic (probably end up with both of them for no more than 40M) AND Neves/Ndombele (~50M). Lose Pogba and yet the technical ability of our midfield goes up several levels right away. Still have Herrera, Matic, Fred, etc. for outstanding depth.
- Sancho (there's our push for young English talent)
- Meunier (relatively cheap. RB is sorted for years)

Courtois
Meunier - Varane - Lindelof - Shaw
Ndombele - Herrera - Rabiot
Bale - Lukaku - Rashford

Subs: Sancho, Martial, Dalot, Smalling, Neves, Rakitic, Romero
I don't care how crazy that all sounds (and yes I know nothing like this is likely to happen), but I feel it's the type of team we need to really challenge. And I feel it could actually be achieved for under 200M after player sales. With Pogba, De Gea and Sanchez off the books, we could reset our wage structure again also.

Canagel

What if:

- Pogba and De Gea could get their moves to Madrid and we could get back Courtois, Bale and Varane? Mind you, I wouldn't want anything to do with them if they were only coming reluctantly like Di Maria. But I just like the certainty of getting players back for them, as opposed to a chunk of cash, which leads to inflated transfer fees on top of our already inflated fees.
- Rabiot AND Rakitic (probably end up with both of them for no more than 40M) AND Neves/Ndombele (~50M). Lose Pogba and yet the technical ability of our midfield goes up several levels right away. Still have Herrera, Matic, Fred, etc. for outstanding depth.
- Sancho (there's our push for young English talent)
- Meunier (relatively cheap. RB is sorted for years)

Courtois
Meunier - Varane - Lindelof - Shaw
Ndombele - Herrera - Rabiot
Bale - Lukaku - Rashford

Subs: Sancho, Martial, Dalot, Smalling, Neves, Rakitic, Romero
I don't care how crazy that all sounds (and yes I know nothing like this is likely to happen), but I feel it's the type of team we need to really challenge. And I feel it could actually be achieved for under 200M after player sales. With Pogba, De Gea and Sanchez off the books, we could reset our wage structure again also.
9 new players? I don't even think that's possible in two summers forget one.

Last edited:

ForestRGoinUp

9 new players? I don't even think that's possible in two summers forget one.
City did 6 in Pep's year 2 by spending 260 net. After our savings last year and the leverage of Pogba and De Gea, I say we just whip it out and put it right on the table by bringing in 6-8 new players. Why not?

Edit: And it's too much in midfield right now. Rabiot or Ndombele. Prefer Ndombele but if it was Rabiot, then the board would have accomplished an incredible window from a value perspective considering net spend.

Last edited:

HD7

City did 6 in Pep's year 2 by spending 260 net. After our savings last year and the leverage of Pogba and De Gea, I say we just whip it out and put it right on the table by bringing in 6-8 new players. Why not?

Edit: And it's too much in midfield right now. Rabiot or Ndombele. Prefer Ndombele but if it was Rabiot, then the board would have accomplished an incredible window from a value perspective considering net spend.
Well if we are going in full throttle...
the muppet in me says:

Transfers in:
Essential:
Sancho 100m
Neves 80m
Varane/Skriniar 80M

Then also add to them:
Rice 60M
AWB 50M

Selling: Sanchez, Darmian, Rojo and probably Baily if he doesnt like being a sub, then letting go of Valencia and Mata.

4-3-3 of
De Gea, Shaw, Lindelof, Skriniar, AWB, Rice, Neves, Pogba, Martial, Rash/Lukaku, Sancho...

I think if we dont even buy anyone else in the next year or two, we will be okay :)

I mean I agree with arguments around here that you can go in full throttle in one summer and get 5-6 players that are worth it... Then you have the spine of the team and only need to change 1 or two positions in the next seasons.

Just like Real in 2009 and by the looks of it this summer again, just like City in 2017...
So Im All In for recruiting all this young and talented players NOW. Get the team chemistry next season. And from there we can have high hopes for the following years :))

The only negative is if we buy Rice and Neves now, Fred most probably wont get his chance in the 2nd season.

Matic, Herrera, Pogba with Neves Fred Mctominay and promoting Garner and Gomes is enough midfilelders for next season.

Now maybe we can do like Liverpool with Keita. Get an agreement about Rice and bring him in next year. This in turn will probably make WHam not so hesitant to sell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inter Yer Nan

NEED an extra player of genuine quality for the attack, specifically on the right hand side. A dominating central defender and I think a full-back who would instantly improve us. An extra quality midfielder would be very nice too. Those positions probably in order of significance too.

I really don't want us to miss out of Sancho since he's nailed on 100% to be a Premier League star with us being his most likely destination. Kouilabaly would be ideal for our defender but also suspect we could be close to Alderweireld with him being such a cut price. Rabiot on a free would be a shrewd bit of business especially if we can keep Herrera.

deadrevelz

Well if we are going in full throttle...
the muppet in me says:

Transfers in:
Essential:
Sancho 100m
Neves 80m
Varane/Skriniar 80M

Then also add to them:
Rice 60M
AWB 50M

Selling: Sanchez, Darmian, Rojo and probably Baily if he doesnt like being a sub, then letting go of Valencia and Mata.

4-3-3 of
De Gea, Shaw, Lindelof, Skriniar, AWB, Rice, Neves, Pogba, Martial, Rash/Lukaku, Sancho...

I think if we dont even buy anyone else in the next year or two, we will be okay :)

I mean I agree with arguments around here that you can go in full throttle in one summer and get 5-6 players that are worth it... Then you have the spine of the team and only need to change 1 or two positions in the next seasons.

Just like Real in 2009 and by the looks of it this summer again, just like City in 2017...
So Im All In for recruiting all this young and talented players NOW. Get the team chemistry next season. And from there we can have high hopes for the following years :))

The only negative is if we buy Rice and Neves now, Fred most probably wont get his chance in the 2nd season.

Matic, Herrera, Pogba with Neves Fred Mctominay and promoting Garner and Gomes is enough midfilelders for next season.

Now maybe we can do like Liverpool with Keita. Get an agreement about Rice and bring him in next year. This in turn will probably make WHam not so hesitant to sell.
Different positions mate. I agree with the rest of your post though. If the right players are available we should buy them, waiting another year doesn't benefit the club.

Inter Yer Nan

In a realistic and somewhat ideal world I'd want our next two summers to be something like this : -

2019 - IN Sancho, Kouilabaly (or maybe Alderweireld at 25m), Rabiot, Wan Bisakka OUT Alexis, Valencia, Mata (love him but not worth extending so may as well get some cash), Rojo

2020 - IN Rice, a good back up left-back or even a starter ahead of Shaw perhaps and if we didn't sign Koulibaly then maybe we get that dominant central defender this summer OUT Jones, Young

So six signings in two years, one for a free transfer the others probably combining 300m plus probably bringing in 50m so not a massive net spend. I think we have enough youth coming through to provide depth to the squad too.