What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

deafepl

All of you seem wanting CB who can play out from the back but forgot that left-footed CB is a top priority rather than right-footed, we have too many rights footed CB in our squad the likes of Jones, Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly, they are at their best when they play as RCB. It's very common for possession based who want to play out from the back must have left footed and right footed CBs.

Left foot CB is very rare, almost all world class/ top class footed CB already at top clubs, only Lenglet who were available last summer, Barcelona were lucky to snap him up, now they have Umiti and Lenglet. City has Laporte. Spurs have Vert, Juve has Chiellini.

There's one left-footed CB I can think of that could be available, I like the look of Romagnoli, seem Jose's perfect CB, he is a ball playing CB that has the better long passing ability, breaking the lines, he often bypasses the press with ease, very strong as Smalling as well as in the air, very calm and comfortable in possession and good tackler but not prolific tackler as Bailly, hardly get caught out of position, impressive technique & distribution, he happens to be one of the best and most technically talented CB in Serie A.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If Shaw keeps up the levels for the whole season then our full back situation is sorted(who could have thought that it would only take 19m?)

We need another striker, technically better than Lukaku. A right winger and a proven CB.

Mcking

All of you seem wanting CB who can play out from the back but forgot that left-footed CB is a top priority rather than right-footed, we have too many rights footed CB in our squad the likes of Jones, Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly, they are at their best when they play as RCB. It's very common for possession based who want to play out from the back must have left footed and right footed CBs.

Left foot CB is very rare, almost all world class/ top class footed CB already at top clubs, only Lenglet who were available last summer, Barcelona were lucky to snap him up, now they have Umiti and Lenglet. City has Laporte. Spurs have Vert, Juve has Chiellini.

There's one left-footed CB I can think of that could be available, I like the look of Romagnoli, seem Jose's perfect CB, he is a ball playing CB that has the better long passing ability, breaking the lines, he often bypasses the press with ease, very strong as Smalling as well as in the air, very calm and comfortable in possession and good tackler but not prolific tackler as Bailly, hardly get caught out of position, impressive technique & distribution, he happens to be one of the best and most technically talented CB in Serie A.
It is not a necessity tbh, there's a lot for right footers capable of playing comfortably on the left. As for Romagnoli, I think it would be a bit hard getting Milan's captain.
There's Koulibaly too, but he just signed a new contract. Maybe Umtiti?

Devil may care

I think whatever happens we'll need at least 3 priority signings.

Center-back
I think everyone knows we need one and you could argue we need two. With Alderweireld's buyout clause dropping to £25M next summer I could see us doing a deal with Spurs from him in January for say £35M. The one I'd most like to see here is Skrinniar, he has it all and I think is going to be one of the top 5 CB's in the game over the next 10 years. Other options in the mix could be Pavard, de Ligt and I guess Maguire might still be.

Right Wing
This is turning into the new "Why don't we buy a Midfielder!?" situation. If we are looking for a floating creator Eriksen is by far the best choice, beyond that there's Fekir or Dybala but in truth it's not their natural position, Aouar from Lyon is more in the mold but Lyon will likely intend to keep him for a bit yet. If we are looking for more of a winger who will offer pace and more directness then Pulisic remains my first choice while Thauvin and Bertrand Traore are playing well at their respective clubs and could be in the mix.

#6/Holding CM
Basically Ruben Neves, he's got the physicality for the PL, his defensive positional play is sound and he's a deep lying playmaker, essentially a Carrick replacement but his extra robustness reminds me of Xabi Alonso. Ajax CM de Jong might be another option but I think he'd be too lightweight to play as the deepest CM.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What we need asap:
CB
RW

Slightly less asap:
CM
Another CB
Striker (even if you rate Lukaku, all the other big clubs apart from Spurs have a quality option)

If we can, I think we should just go for as many of these as possible in one window.
Easier said than done obviously, just don't want any of this 'can't buy too many players in one window or you'll unsettle the team' reasoning when we haven't been settled for a long time anyway.

Devil may care

If we sell Pogba and refuse to get off the Mourinho bus or cut our losses on Sanchez but still invest in the team, I could see this being a pretty well balanced side bar Sanchez.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Two superstars in attacking positions to revitalise the entire club.

Though they cost around £200m each these days.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We need to have enough quality so that players like Lingard, Rashford, Fellaini aren't anywhere near our starting 11 and we don't play Ashley Young as a fullback. The previous window was the one I thought would complete our team, but we failed miserably.

I still don't know how we let Jorginho join Chelsea. :confused:

Devil may care

Regardless of who is manager or the system I think we need a holder that moves the ball quicker and with better all round passing and much more mobility than the two we currently use there, and we need at least 1 CB, I still think Bailly can be salvaged.

I'm not saying the forward line situation doesn't need addressing, it most likely will, but I'd be interested to see how some of our attackers did in a well coached, cohesive attacking system.

The one we want or the one we need?

Yes, hard to evaluate some players right now with poison Percy running around the gaff with his toxic atomizer turned up to 11.

MadMike

Well... I think he's got to be strong, and pretty fast and probably fresh from the fight. He must be sure and we need him soon, and he's gotta be larger than life.
He also needs to have a short life. Lest he lives long enough to see himself become the villain.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Two superstars in attacking positions to revitalise the entire club.

Though they cost around £200m each these days.
I was about to say this.
What do we need? Attackers who can score goals and not miss chance after chance after chance.

Red Devil Rising

A right sided attacker more than anything.

He identified the need to strengthen this position by bringing in Mkhi. He then gets rid and brings no-one else in. We're in the same position now that we were in 3 years ago.

A leader at CB is another must.

N91

A right winger, two center-backs and a striker.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
He also needs to have a short life. Lest he lives long enough to see himself become the villain.
I'm holding out until the end of the night, but it's late here so maybe I'll wait until the morning light.

RooneyLegend

Depends on who comes in and what system they use. For example, Zidane imo wouldn't use a player like Lukaku while Jardim would.

Fracture90

I'd love us to sign Rabiot from PSG, who will be a free agent this summer.

And Pulišić.

Andersons Dietician

Well... I think he's got to be strong, and pretty fast and probably fresh from the fight. He must be sure and we need him soon, and he's gotta be larger than life
He also needs to have a short life. Lest he lives long enough to see himself become the villain
Also someone who understands

It’s not about how hard you can hit, It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward, that’s how winning is done.

el3mel

Top striker
Right winger
Center back
Right back
Left back

Swap Lukaku for Icardi, try to get Bailey or Pulisic, then spend +90m on Koulibaly for CB. Pavard or Meunier for right back. Any suggestions for LB ? Since we're going to spend loads on a CB we can't go for Sandro, and Shaw isn't doing bad so maybe we won't need someone very expensive.

RooneyLegend

Top striker
Right winger
Center back
Right back
Left back

Swap Lukaku for Icardi, try to get Bailey or Pulisic, then spend +90m on Koulibaly for CB. Pavard or Meunier for right back. Any suggestions for LB ? Since we're going to spend loads on a CB we can't go for Sandro, and Shaw isn't doing bad so maybe we won't need someone very expensive.
Ismaily would be a great option, probably get him at a decent price and he's a quality player.

RooneyLegend

At this point we need quite a bit. Sadly these managers have been wasting club resources. raise money in the market by selling some trash, replace them with a combination of value signings and expensive quality buys. We have to sort out all divisions of our team. For our first 11 I'd say DDG, Pogba, Shaw, Martial are those we don't really need expensive signings for. The rest we are going to need to make proper signings. I'm talking the likes of Koulibaly, Aldewereld and Neves. We should also keep tabs on what happens with Dembele and Mahrez as one might be in desperate need of a starting spot come next season.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
At least one cb, preferably two. Plus a striker and the rw. We're looking at 300-400m to get something like a good side together.

SAFMUTD

In order of importance:

1. New manager
2. Pacy RW
3. Ball playing CB
4. CDM
5. Striker backup

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Well... I think he's got to be strong, and pretty fast and probably fresh from the fight. He must be sure and we need him soon, and he's gotta be larger than life.
In summary: WE NEED A HERO!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
At least one cb, preferably two. Plus a striker and the rw. We're looking at 300-400m to get something like a good side together.
I do agree with this.
And people keep complaining that Jose has already spent a lot.
My answer to that is: we need to spend even more to get on par with MCFC and now LFC.
These people behave as if other clubs have not spent a penny in the last 2.5 years.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Also someone who understands

It’s not about how hard you can hit, It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward, that’s how winning is done.
So..Mourinho needs to keep moving forward and trying to win. Not give up, in the face of the people who want him sacked?
And that's in addition to needing a hero ;)

Devil may care

So we need Batman up top and Bonnie Tyler as manager from what I can see! Or do we do not need another hero and put Tina Turner in the dugout with Mad Max in the #10 role?

Me and @bucky were talking about the diamond for this squad and I think it is a formation we could get going with probably the least amount of additions. I just stuck two of our 4 striker options in the team below, you could use any 2, and it is possible(probable) that we would need to buy one striker upgrade eventually but it would be interesting to see how the ones we have did playing regularly in a parternship.

Obviously a second CB would be nice and alternatives to Eriksen could be Fekir.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The answer really depends on the clubs ambitious and to a degree the managers demands.

Both these should form part of the future plans which we probably all hope will be far more structured than the recent past.

For me, Manchester United should be challenging for all the top honours both domestic and Europe. That has to be at the forefront of our plans.

We should be able financially to attract the VERY BEST as we did with Ronaldo.

We should also be producing the VERY BEST from our Achadamy as we did with the class of 92.

We have done it before and we absolutely must do it again.
The question is does the Board have the same ambitious as the fans.

Answers on a postcard to Mr E Woodward.