What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He’s only played 1 season himself?

I think we need experience
True, but I think we're going to find it extremely hard to find an experienced striker, at the right age, willing to come to us right now. Might have to gamble a bit.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Its clear we need to overhaul the defence. Its a complete shambles but Im not very optimistic much will change given Young and Jones signed new contracts.

That aside I would get rid of them, plus Valencia Bailly and Darmian. Smalling potentially as well but I guess he offers some continuity instead of an absolute clear out.

Break the bank for De Ligt, it would be big money but we would potentially have him for more than a decade and it would look cheap in the end even if we may need to be patient with him.

Bring back Fosu Mensah and Tunazebe. Pick up Alderweireld relatively cheap now, plus one other top top centre half and go from there.

It honesty its a better option than what we have at the moment.
Didn't he just get quite a bad injury?

Scholes1982

We should keep Lindeloff, Rashford, all the kids, De Gea, Martial, Lindgard, maybe Pogba. Get rid of the rest.

They've had enough chances now, it's time for a fire sale. We'll come 7th for a few seasons maybe but what's new?

Kag

Two full backs is absolutely paramount. Our last two managers have gleefully ignored this area; Ole must not to do the same.

I usually (always) hate these threads but for myriad reasons we do need a bit of a cull.

At the very least we need a starting right back, competition at left back for Shaw, a centre half, a midfielder to replace Herrera and a right winger. Even then, another midfielder that can score goals would be of great benefit to us. That’s 5 or 6 players easy. If we don’t back Ole with this then things will be difficult.

We can’t be starting Ashley fecking Young going into 2020. I’ll give up on football altogether if we do.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
We should keep Lindeloff, Rashford, all the kids, De Gea, Martial, Lindgard, maybe Pogba. Get rid of the rest.

They've had enough chances now, it's time for a fire sale. We'll come 7th for a few seasons maybe but what's new?
Agreed but...

I'd get rid of Martial and keep Shaw.

KingMinger22

How much does an entire new, top 4 quality squad cost because that is basically what we need?

If we spend 300 or 400 million this summer we should have a good shout at top 4 but no way does that get us to Coty level.

The state of affairs is absolutely shocking.

Kapardin

How much does an entire new, top 4 quality squad cost because that is basically what we need?

If we spend 300 or 400 million this summer we should have a good shout at top 4 but no way does that get us to Coty level.

The state of affairs is absolutely shocking.
I think we need to take it step by step, like Liverpool did with Klopp. First, we need to make sure we are comfortably 3rd in the league rather than yo-yoing between 4th-6th. That should be our target next season.

To make this possible, we need a RB, RW, CM, CB minimum. Another CM, possibly a CF if Lukaku leaves and a LW to bench Martial when he's crap are also needed.

Basically almost a whole new XI just to be comfortably in the top 4. Can we trust Woodward to do this?

KingMinger22

I think we need to take it step by step, like Liverpool did with Klopp. First, we need to make sure we are comfortably 3rd in the league rather than yo-yoing between 4th-6th. That should be our target next season.

To make this possible, we need a RB, RW, CM, CB minimum. Another CM, possibly a CF if Lukaku leaves and a LW to bench Martial when he's crap are also needed.

Basically almost a whole new XI just to be comfortably in the top 4. Can we trust Woodward to do this?
That's basically what I said too.

We don't need to do it over a number of seasons but we are a for-profit club so we won't invest as aggressively as Real did in 2009 and will this summer. They literally went from average to world beaters in a season.

We also have never in PL history been so unattractive to players. Before we could claim we were rebuilding and just going through a short rut. Now we are genuinely and upper mid table team.

5 quality first team players is a solid £400m. Easy.

Sancho would be £140-150m alone.

We will probably invests £200m and be in another horrendous slug for fourth.

Rocknrolla69er

The defence is poor very poor
No matter how we look at it the squads a clusterfeck

In order of priority, leadership is essential and a solid back 4 so

De ligt just make it happen
Alderwield
Meunier
Barella

Then depending on funds
Rice

I think its going to take a few windows ,which means id blood Chong on the right and persevere with Lukaku and Matic until we can get possibly Rice in.

Hopefully shift Rojo, Sanchez

Then when we can budget for replacements id look at a right winger and replacement striker for Lukaku thats how i think we l possibly go.

But with the rumoured british core preference who knows

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

The major difference is you don't have a Klopp or Pep. I don't even know the style of football Ole wants to play. Build up from the back and possession football (yes, LVG style) is definitely not his style. I can't see him playing the heavy metal Klopp style either.

GMoore23

Saw another thread talking about 10 in 10 out but that's never for happening, not even in football manager :lol:.
I think we'll bring in 5 players max but if we lose Pogba, Herrera or De Gea then they'll need replacing also. I'm hoping we start the season with something like this

Gk- De Gea/Romero
Rb - New/Dalot
Rcb- New/Smalling
Lcb - Lindelof/Tuanzebe
Lb - Shaw/Young
Dm - New/Matic
Rcm - Fred/Herrera
Lcm - Pogba/Pereira
Rf - New/Lingard.
Cf - New/Lukaku
Lf - Martial/Rashford

Also Jones and Mctominay for squad depth

Out - Valencia, Darmian, Bailly, Rojo, Mata, Sanchez

Ideally would love to get rid of Lingard and Young as well but never going to happen this window.

All 5 New players have to be First team Players for as we can see the current ones just aren't good enough to be regular starters at this great club.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

Sell Lukaku & Martial £140m odd and buy a world class centre back and right back
RB Just has to be Bissaka for me £45m
CB If at all possible any of De Ligt, Koulibaily, Varane
Sell Rojo, Bailly, Darmian for a second quality centre back £55m
Upemecano would be my first choice, but ROmagnoli would be another....not the likes of Manolas who is bang average or ALdeweireld who is the wrong age
Sell Pogba £150m and rebuild the midfield
Rice, Ascacibar, Tonali, Barella, Ndombele, Zaniola, Guimaraes, Fernandes......would I rather keep Pogba or have three of these excellent young talents....the latter
Sell Matic & Sanchez and allow Mata and Herrera to leave and add it to the £200m warchest
By a hot young striker. Not sure who here to be honest, Jovic mentioned a lot but not seen much of, Gouri looked fantastic at oyuth level and his early games before being injured all season, Lincoln looked fantastic at youth level but not seen since

That would still leave us close to the orginal warchest and plenty of money for two world class wide players....Dybala, Felix, Sancho, Lozano, Pepe, Dembele

DeGea/Romero

Bissaka/Jones---------------------------Koulibaily/Lindelof------------------Upemecano/Smalling---------------Shaw/Dalot

---------------------------------------------------Ascacibar/McTominay----------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------Tonali/Perreira---------------------------------NDOmbele/Fred----------------------------------

------------------Sancho/Lingard-----------------------Rashford/Gouri------------------------------Felix/Greenwood

Young, Garner, Angel Gomes make up the rest of the squad

4 English starters
3 new potential captains from the signings (we need leaders)

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
RB: Mario Fernandes - 28 years old, perfect age whilst we groom Dalot for the position long term. He's a fantastic outlet offensively and defensively. I remember being very impressed with him when we played CSKA. Alternatively, Sergio Roberto would be a fantastic signing should he want more first team football.

RW: Hakim Ziyech: Second most assists in Europe. Takes on players, very creative and got a good finish on him too. A cheaper option than Sancho should we not be able to get him.

CB: Varane, if it's true and he does want a new challenge as per MARCA we should be all over him. One of the worlds best CB's, alternatively Umtiti would be worth looking at with Barca being favs for De Ligt.

CM: Bruno Fernandes, he adds goals and assists from midfield, and a reliable set piece taker. it's as simple as that.

LW: Martial needs competition, there are other options out there like Bergjiwin, Brandt, Oyarzabal but with 17 goals and 10 assists, Lozano looks the most productive.

De Gea
Fernandes Lindelöf Varane Shaw
Fred Pogba
Fernandes
Ziyech Rashford Lozano​

Cheekiey

RB: Mario Fernandes - 28 years old, perfect age whilst we groom Dalot for the position long term. He's a fantastic outlet offensively and defensively. I remember being very impressed with him when we played CSKA. Alternatively, Sergio Roberto would be a fantastic signing should he want more first team football.

RW: Hakim Ziyech: Second most assists in Europe. Takes on players, very creative and got a good finish on him too. A cheaper option than Sancho should we not be able to get him.

CB: Varane, if it's true and he does want a new challenge as per MARCA we should be all over him. One of the worlds best CB's, alternatively Umtiti would be worth looking at with Barca being favs for De Ligt.

CM: Bruno Fernandes, he adds goals and assists from midfield, and a reliable set piece taker. it's as simple as that.

LW: Martial needs competition, there are other options out there like Bergjiwin, Brandt, Oyarzabal but with 17 goals and 10 assists, Lozano looks the most productive.

De Gea
Fred Pogba
Fernandes
Ziyech Rashford Lozano​

Ziyech and Bruno Fernandes in the same team would be unreal, that's all out set pieces covered!! I love the fact they both are non stop and work there nuts off. It's a shame we have no links to Ziyech and chelsea, bayern, iverpool do ect. Honestly if we got those 2, I wouldn't be worried if Pogba goes, Pogba is my guy but in all honesty I don't think he'd be missed much from a creative and goals standpoint if we signed both Ziyech and Bruno, both are like KDB lite's but quicker. IF Pogba does go:

De Gea
AWB Koulibaly Lindelof Shaw
Fred Casemiro Bruno
Ziyech
Rashford Martial/Greenwood​

Silas

De Gea
Fred Pogba
Fernandes
Ziyech Rashford Lozano​
Good luck with that midfield. Unconvinced by that attack too. Big risk.

Last edited:

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I’m surprised people are okay with Ole being incharge of this squad rebuild. Have we learnt nothing from previous years? Every manager after Fergie hasnt taken accountability for the players they bought and instead criticised the squad they inherited. Considering they end up being sacked soon after, who do we ask the questions of? Woodward? He’d simply say he bought what the managers asked for and absolve himself of any blame.

I can’t stress this enough but we absolutely need a proper footballing structure with a DoF who’s tasked of rebuilding the squad. At least in that scenario if the buys don’t work out, there’ll be someone who can be held accountable and be made to reshape/retool the squad year by year even if manager goes.

If we piss the money up the wall this summer with duo of Ole and Woodward. 18 months from now we’ll be again hearing from next manager how shit a squad they inherited, can’t allow the cycle to repeat itself ad nauseam.

crossy1686

career ending
We've got some issues that's all down to personalities in the dressing room.

I think it's imperative we sell Pogba in the summer. Most of us have already forgotten how much of a dick he was openly to Mourinho (not defending him) and no player is bigger than the club but he's certainly acting like it. His performances were great after the sacking but he's reverted back to type now of playing when he wants, not only that, he's supposed to improve our other midfielders, not leave them stranded.

Cash in and use that plus the reported £200m to rebuild in as many areas as possible.

Andersons Dietician

Papers claiming now 250mil war chest and saying it’s for DeLigt, Sancho, Odoi and Wan Bissaka. I don’t see why we need both Odoi and Sancho but get the other two and Sancho and that’s an incredible summer but I don’t feel like those 3 would really put us in to where we want to be and think it would still be a fight for 4th.

Midfield really needs looking at.

Raw

Papers claiming now 250mil war chest and saying it’s for DeLigt, Sancho, Odoi and Wan Bissaka. I don’t see why we need both Odoi and Sancho but get the other two and Sancho and that’s an incredible summer but I don’t feel like those 3 would really put us in to where we want to be and think it would still be a fight for 4th.

Midfield really needs looking at.
I guess CHO and Sancho will give much needed quality on both the wings. Martial has stunk up the place on the left yet there's no one who he can rotate with. CHO/Martial on the left, Sancho/CHO on the right and Rashford/Martial up front would be amazing.

Too bad it'll never happen. No way Chelsea are selling CHO to us.

Kaglish10

De Gea
Fred Pogba
Fernandes
Ziyech Rashford Lozano​
Madrid have slapped 400 mil on Varane.

While Ziyech is a quality player, he's more of a linkup player and doesn't run at defence but rather drops into the midfield to force play through his direct passing and lofted ball through the middle or the wing. Ziyech is more of a wing/inverted midfielder. He can also play through the middle as as an attacking midfielder. I would rather we have a pacey winger who constantly runs at the opposition's defence. Ziyech could replace Pogba though.

I really don't get the hype on Fernandes. He looks more of a goal scorer than anything. Granted I have only seen his compilation highlight clip but I wasn't that impressed. I would really need to see his individual touches in each game before I can form an opinion on him.

Lozano is a no for me. I don't fancy his touch nor control which looks quite erratic. His movement to constantly get on the end of play is quality though. Brandt is more of a midfielder nowadays. Oyarzabal isn't pacey. Bergwijn at a little price would be a good competition for Martial.

I don't know much about Mario Fernandes.

I would love to have de Ligt but if not, i would love both Aldeweireid and Ferro to be taken in. A central midfielder or two, if Pogba leaves for Madrid (Van De Beek and Ziyech).

As for the right wing role, I would love if we could sign one of Sancho, Adam Ounas or Samuel Chukwueze. I don't fancy Sancho at 100+ mil though. He's good but the quoted price is too much. I don't want Nicholas Pepe here. His dribbling and control doesn't look impressive to me. I watched his highlight touches against PSG and he spent most of his time on the floor all through the clip. His control looks erratic too. While he's got good pace, his pace isn't as blistering.

Also, João Felix at 70mil wouldn't be bad. We really need a talented young striker to unsit 2nd rate talent such as Rashford and Lukaku. I would rather we have Felix to keep developing as our striker than Rashford and Lukaku.

Last edited:

Wallez

As most people mention, we need a CB, RB, CM and RW to start closing the gap to City and Liverpool. My suggestions would be the following

RB: We are desperate for a new RB as Young is not good enough, while Darmian and Valencia are likely to leave this summer. I really like Dalot, but he hasn't done anything to prove himself worthy of being our nr. 1 RB from the start of next season. The obvious choice is Wan-Bissaka for me. He has shown that he is one of the best RBs in the league this year, and has shown great development in short time. It is only a year since he really started his professional career by breaking into the senior squad at Palace, and I think he will develop a lot under the right conditions.

CB: We should go all in on De Ligt, as he is 100% the real deal. I know that he looks likely to join Barcelona, but they are already well stacked at CB and we can offer De Ligt a guaranteed starting position. Throw 80 mill at the table and offer him solid wages, and see what happens.

CM: A few months ago I wanted us to sign a new DM rather than a CM. However, with Fred starting to show his qualities and Herrera leaving, I would love us to bring in an offensive CM. While Bruno Fernandes and Saul are solid options for this role, I think we would be mad not to go for Christian Eriksen. With one year left of his contract, it should be possible to bring him here for around 100 mill. He is one of the few world class players that might be available for us this summer, and I would love to see him here.

RW: I really want us to get in a proper right-footed RW with pace and the ability to go past players. I really like Lozano who has a very reasonable release clause of 30 mill and has been brilliant for PSV this season.

Signings: Wan-Bissaka (50 mill), De Ligt (80 mill), Eriksen (100 mill), Lozano (30 mill) --> Gross spend: 260 mill

Possible starting XI:
De Gea
Wan-Bissaka - De Ligt - Lindelöf - Shaw
Eriksen - Fred - Pogba
Lozano - Lukaku - Rashford

Devil may care

We need to address the attack, Sanchez and Lukaku are supposed to be providing the proven quality in attack and they just aren't cutting it. Bounce them both and let Mata move on, get in two proven quality forwards and add Greenwood as a more regular fixture in the squad.

Midfield could use 2 CM's if Herrera goes even though Fred has shown some improvement. However I can see us still using Matic too much next season and using Garner as an excuse to only buy one.I just hope it's not some clogger or workhorse, we need a CM that can offer us control and composure in midfield.

CB and RB are pretty obvious, de Ligt is off to Barca and I doubt we'll pay the money for Koulibaly, so while I'm not keen on him I'd opt for Alderweireld from the rest of the options on offer simply because he's cheap, experienced and will add some ability to play out from the back, and I guess he'd do as a stop-gap for a season or 2. Meunier for RB.

Cliche Guevara

We need to address the attack, Sanchez and Lukaku are supposed to be providing the proven quality in attack and they just aren't cutting it. Bounce them both and let Mata move on, get in two proven quality forwards and add Greenwood as a more regular fixture in the squad.
I’ve been trying to think of what quality strikers, goal scorers just entering their prime, we could sign. I am struggling though.

Icardi is about the only one. Dybala, maybe, if we are talking about false 9s but I’m not even sure.

If we’d to sign a mid-20s World Class goal scoring pair, does such a thing even exist at the moment?

Devil may care

I’ve been trying to think of what quality strikers, goal scorers just entering their prime, we could sign. I am struggling though.

Icardi is about the only one. Dybala, maybe, if we are talking about false 9s but I’m not even sure.

If we’d to sign a mid-20s World Class goal scoring pair, does such a thing even exist at the moment?
Dybala or Griezmann would definitely be the two I'd look at, people shit on Dybala at times and he's had a difficult time this season due to Juventus becoming Ronaldo FC, but his three seasons prior were very strong and I think he'd add a lot, as would Griezmann despite being a bit of a prat.

For the other forward I'd look for a creator that can bag double figures and feed the attack, Eriksen would be the dream but hard to get, I personally don't think Bruno Fernandes is the right fit as he doesn't control things and orchestrate so much as he is very good on the counter, but we need to become more than just a counter attacking team IMO. Fekir might be an option although I have my doubts about whether he can go up a level.

Canagel

Passing LCB
Attacking RB/RWB
DM shield
Pass master CM (or the opposite)
False 9 versatile
Second striker

Silas

RW/F: Sancho
CF: Dybala
CM: N'Dombele
CM: Thiago
CB: Alderweireld
RB: Meunier

Out: Rojo, Darmian, Herrera, Mata, Valencia, Lingard (ideally, but not happening), Sanchez, Lukaku

-----Martial/R---------------------------------------Sancho/R
-----------------------Dybala----
---------------Pogba----------N'Dombele (or vice versa)
--------------------------Thiago (or vice versa)
Shaw---Alderweireld----Lindelöf---Meunier
-------------------------De Gea

Think we have the money to pull that off if we sell Rom and the deadwood we have. Might not get a huge amount from sales, but the wages freed up will be important. Alderweireld isn't my first choice, but he's the most realistic if we're planning on strengthening elsewhere and I feel like we have a good chance with Sancho, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay another season. Dybala's hype seems to have died down after a not so spectacular season, but I think it's down to the defensive system and accomodating Ronaldo. Now's probably the prime time to get him, with his stock being low. Maybe João Felix could be an alternative, but then we'll have a very inexperienced attack. Personally, I think it's risky going into next season relying on Rashford as our striker, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
attack first. best form of defence is attack. Liverpool got CL final by blowing teams away. Our attack is ordinary and teams are not fearful enough of playing us. 2 quality attackers, a RB and CM. defence can wait
Agreed 110%.

Canagel

RW: Sancho

Out: Rojo, Darmian, Herrera, Mata, Valencia, Lingard (ideally, but not happening), Sanchez, Lukaku

-----M/R---------------------------------------Sancho/R

Think we have the money to pull that off if we sell Rom and the deadwood we have. Might not get a huge amount from sales, but the wages freed up will be important. Alderweireld isn't my first choice, but he's the most realistic if we're planning on strengthening elsewhere and I feel like we have a good chance with Sancho, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay another season. Dybala's hype seems to have died down after a not so spectacular season, but I think it's down to the defensive system and accomodating Ronaldo. Now's probably the prime time to get him, with his stock being low. Maybe João Felix could be an alternative, but then we'll have a very inexperienced attack. Personally, I think it's risky going into next season relying on Rashford as our striker, but we'll see.
You could play Dybala as the second striker and buy Felix for the CAM. Don't really need Sancho if you bought Meunier already.

Jim Reaper

CB, RB, DM or Deep playmaker, creative or B2B midfielder and a right winger are musts.

Someone like Felix who can play as a 10 or a ST to give us better tactical flexibility would be a massive bonus aswell.

Silas

You could play Dybala as the second striker and buy Felix for the CAM. Don't really need Sancho if you bought Meunier already.
Yeah, that could also work. Only thing is, I feel like with Dybala and Felix it's one or the other due to the circumstances. Juve will only sell Dybala if they bring some form of replacement, who I imagine they intend to be Felix . If we buy Felix, I don't see Dybala moving and if we get Dybala, that'll likely only be because Juve are getting Felix.

jamesjimmybyrondean

RW/F: Sancho

-----Martial/R---------------------------------------Sancho/R

This is probably the most quality squad I've seen so far. That's a title winning squad but it's not so realistic. I like the fact that it's the diamond you chose as I feel with the lack of wingers we have this formation should be our first choice. For me this is more of a realistic summer
De Gea
AWB. Lindelof. Alderweild . Shaw

Rice

Mctominay Pogba

Fernandes

Rashford. Icardi

Then we also sign Lozano as a squad option We wouldn't be spending much but it's a good enough squad to challenge for top 4. If we're challenging for the title though I think we can also realistically get this;

.................................DDG................................

AWB........Linedelof..........Alderweild.......Shaw

................................Neves...............................

....................Rabiot..................Pogba................

..............................Fernandes.............................

................Rashford.............Icardi......................
We also wouldn't be spending much in recruiting this squad whilst looking like it could win a title

sam147

A RW, RB, CB, RCM, DM, ST and back up LB. In order of importance.

We need a RW because we have no RW, its the most important signing we need to make. A RB is a must, Ole clearly doesn't fancy Dalot if he cant play over Ashley Young. A CB is required because Smalling is ageing, Jones is Jones, Ole doesn't fancy Bailly at CB and Rojo not good enough. A RCM is needed, as much as fans are growing to like McTominay he isnt good enough for a first team spot. We need someone who can provide energy but is good enough on the ball to create chances especially with Herrera leaving. A DM is less of a priority than a RCM because we have Matic and Fred but we could do with someone more well rounded and mobile. A striker would be a higher priority but the team has so many gaps. Lukakus future is uncertain and even so he is still very inconsistent in his finishing, however is he gets his fitness back he could keep his place. Rashford is a squad player at best and shouldn't be starting ahead of Lukaku in the first place. If he is leading the line next season and we allow Lukaku to leave I expect no more than a tight scrap to finish 3rd. We need a consistent experienced forward who has a drive to score goals. Finally, a back up LB would be decent. Shaw has never stayed fit for a full season. One injury to Shaw pushes Young a step closer to the starting 11 or leads to Dalot at LB which disrupts the balance of play.

This doesn't account for De Gea and Pogba leaving. Both of their futures are uncertain. And this is not a one transfer window job. City could get it done in one or two. Woodward would take 3-4. One summer of spending isn't enough. Woodward showed his colours when he spent less than relegation teams by signing Fred, Grant and Dalot after we finished 2nd.

Hawks2008

Ball-playing LCB
At least one full back (right back is more pressing atm)
Deep-lying playmaker
Dynamic box-to-box midfielder
Right Winger