g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Devil may care

If the Caf's current yearning for Pogba's blood is realized in the summer then we are going to need 6 in to restructure this mess. The CM double pivot below will be functional even if Fred remains 50/50 at best in regards to whether he's good enough. I picked Jovic for the Striker because while I want someone more experienced he's the best #9 available, if we start the season with Rashford or Lukaku as the #9 we can forget about it before we begin.

Out of the current crop of underperfroming egotists I left Rashford in as Ole has a boner for him so he's going to start somewhere. The RW and #10 need to bring some proven consistency with them, Eriksen is by far the best choice for the latter role but attracting him and dealing with Levy feel like tall orders, Dybala probably wont come here if Pogba's gone so Fekir might become the only port in a storm option, he's decent but I have my doubts about his fitness and his ability to step up a level, I think he's at his level now to be honest. RW I'd probably go for Chiesa.

Kidders

Ship out the imposters, make any new signings do a 'United history test', and only consider them if they get top marks, no mercenaries, no fakes, no posers, no passengers.
Have I narrowed the field too much ?

Sanche7

It's scary how many new players we would need especially if Lukaku, Pogba and Herrera leaves.
CB
CM x 3
RB
RW
ST
With Mata and probably Sanchez on their way out, we will need another attacker too. That's like 8 players and we would still need a backup LB :nervous:
Out of those we need at least CM x 2, RB and RW if we decide to persist with Lukaku and our current CBs. But only 4 signings will see us in top 6 fight again. All the money we have spent and we have so little to show for it

croadyman

I know this probably sounds like a mad idea but reckon Utd should break the bank and bring Verratti to the club. Yes I know he's a very different player to Pogba and hasn't got his number of assists and goals, however he strikes me as someone who would be proud to wear the shirt and think he would relish the opportunity to play in the premier league.

I feel that Ole should pay him a personal visit at the end of the season and outline that he is going to be the first step in this Utd rebuild and the main man in midfield, Yes I know we probably won't have champions league football but the personal touch can go a long way for some players.

Sanchez7

I think signing a quality right winger, right back and a striker will make a world of difference to this team.

Lukaku, Jones, Mata, Darmian and Herrera can leave.

3 in, >5 out

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Having looked at what United do historically transfer wise I think at best we are looking at 4/5 signings but it won’t be 4/5 first team quality players.

I’d realistically expect 3 max first team

red4ever 79

Total rebuild. However that cannot be done in one window.

Out of contract and will leave
Valencia, Darmian, Mata, Herrera

Should be sold
Rojo
Matic
Young
Jones
Sanchez
Lukaku

Need to bring in 4/5 first team players this summer and bring back a couple of the younger lads on loan and promote Greenwood, Gomes, Chong.

Then re visit the situation at Christmas depending on how we are competing.

hubbuh

I think signing a quality right winger, right back and a striker will make a world of difference to this team.

Lukaku, Jones, Mata, Darmian and Herrera can leave.

3 in, >5 out
Fellaini left in January, Herrera likely to go, Matic needing to be shot into orbit, we need recruitments in midfield.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
DDG

AWB
Tuanzebe
Lindelof
Shaw

Rice
Fernandes
Pogba

Brooks
Jovic
Rashford
I like the intent but there’s no way de gea and Pogba stick around for a bottom up rebuild. They’ll want to leave and sales will generate cash for investment. Suggest you may need to replace with Romero and Fred/McT. Still think it would be positive in the long term.

Infestissumam

So why do people think he will be moving this summer?
because he's attracted interest from a lot of top clubs and Frankfurt could choose to cash in. They had a ridiculously low option to buy him from Benfica (€6m or something like that), but could sell him for over €60m this summer easily. Think he'll stay there for one more year, but it's not unrealistic that he'll already move this summer.

Sanchez7

Fellaini left in January, Herrera likely to go, Matic needing to be shot into orbit, we need recruitments in midfield.
Perhaps but I think the other positions I highlighted are more important. One player I don't want is Declan Rice, my personal opinion is that he is another over hyped english talent that we will end up paying over the odds for.

Sea-Cow

DDG

AWB
Tuanzebe
Lindelof
Shaw

Rice
Fernandes
Pogba

Brooks
Jovic
Rashford
Yes! Glad to see Brooks getting some love! I think he would be an excellent buy and would be a drastic improvement on Martial / Lingard / Mata and RW-Rashford. He reminds me of Adnan Januaji, except he doesn't dive every time a defender looks in his direction.

However, I have to disagree strongly with your inclusion of Tuanzabe. There is absolutely no way he should even be considered for a starting position next year. Adding a kid with nothing but Championship experience will not solve any of our defensive problems. I've got nothing against him and want him to have a good career, but he will not improve us.

Apart from that, I like your 11. Trade out Tobe A. for Axel and I think that could be quality. Probably would still be in a fight for Top 4 at best, but this a tough league!

buckooo1978

it's hard to imagine this Summer going well.....

as one of the World's biggest football clubs, wealthy beyond the dreams of most and with our glorious history our global, no stone unturned search for a DoF has resulted in the name of Mike Phelan - love the guy but the man with responsibility over our transfer ins and outs?? I might be wrong and he could be great but he clearly doesn't have the experience in that role at any decent level. Our new DoF is going to have one of the toughest tasks a DoF has ever faced given the challenges ahead

Our DoF or Technical Director will most likely need to manage the departure of Darmian, Mata, Rojo, Valencia, Herrera and potentially Sanchez and De Gea amongst others

We've substandard players like Young, Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Lingard, Lukaku, Fred and Matic who have to stay given the amount of players leaving. Any of those players could leave and many of us wouldn't lose a minutes sleep. We've players who are out of form and potentially bad for morale like Pogba and Martial - Rashford has struggled for a while.

Even managing these departures will be difficult but adding players will be just as hard.......we are competing with the top teams in Europe, unlikely will we qualify for CL, Phelan inexperienced, will funds be there?, is our scouting dept going to produce?

we need leaders in the dressing room (Koulibaly, Alderweireld, Meunier etc) but we also need to build for the future (De Ligt , Sancho, Pepe, Felix etc)

I think we need a balance of transfers to manage the next couple of years - Ole is in choppy waters - he looks a mess at the minute completely let down by that team

It would be such a boost to persuade De Gea and Herrera to extend and then build on that with 5 signings - RB, CB, DM, AM, RW

yamo123x

Anyone who wants to leave let them go for the right price, we.want players who want to play for the club and who have pride in the shirt, not those who want to use us as a stepping stone for Real barca or PSG.

LUKAKU POGBA MARTIAL can all go if they desire and stink out someone elses's team

Doracle

Sancho
Grealish
Rice
AWB

Start with those four and see how many millions we have left.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
——————-Romero
——Alderweireld—Smalling
Meunier——————————Shaw
——————Herrera
———-McT————Fernandes
Lozano
—————————Fraser
——————Rashford

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

Feel there is going to be a lot of disappointed transfer muppets this summer. Every word Solskjaer has uttered lately points to it being unlikely we see wholesale changes. I reckon we will sign 3 players, which is obviously not enough.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If it's true Pogba is leaving then I'd be shocked if we didnt sign 2 starting caliber midfielders. If Lukaku also goes along with a few of the others who will likely leave, we could have ~250m just from incoming transfers alone, which you would have to expect we add on to the normal budget which is probably ~200m. Sell Pogba and I'm fully expecting us to spend in the ball park of 3-400m this summer, which is a crazy figure, but only because I expect 200m anyway, so if we lose Pogba and Lukaku, then that could easily be doubled if we reinvest it.

Infestissumam

I think we need a patient longterm approach to turn this around. That's not what scares me though - the thing that scares me is that I fear the board will disagree and just continue with their headless scattergun approach that has probably set us back years. It's sad to think how much money has been spent and how many holes there still are. I'd be absolutely fine with carefully rebuilding this squad over the next 2-3 years (it's way too massive a job to do it in one summer), but I fear the suits in charge don't have the patience to do it.

Champagne Football

With Pogba leaving., I know we're not signing 6 but a decent transfer window might look like this

Romero
Meunier Alderweireld Smalling Shaw
Herrera
Milinkovic-Savic, Fernandes
Sancho
Rashford Zaha

Hammer_st

In: Joao Felix (120), Sancho (100), Brandt (25), Weigl (30), Felipe Luis (0), Menuier (20), Akanji (40), Rodri (70) and Bruno if the 35mio clause is true.
Total 405mio
Nübel (15) if DeGea leaves

Out: Mata (0), Valencia (0), Herrera (0), Lukaku (70), Sanchez (20), Darmian (10), Rojo (10), Bailly (30), Pereira (15), Fred (40)
Fred only if Bruno is available for 35mio.
Total 195mio.
And I would at 60mio for DeGea. If he wants to leave let him go.

ATT/OM: Rashford, Martial, Joao Felix, Sancho, Lingard, Brandt
CM/DM: Fred(Bruno), Matic, McTominay, Weigl, Rodri
CB: Lindelöf, Smalling, Jones, Akanji
FB: Shaw, Dalot, Menuier, Felipe Luiz, Young
GK: Nübel, Romero, Henderson
Starting XI:
Martial(Brandt)-Rashford-Sancho
Joao Felix(Brandt)
Weigl-Rodri
Felipe Luis-Lindelöf-Akanji-Menuier
Henderson/Nübel

This would be a very talented team which can make the top four and have potential for more.

IrishRedDevil

In: Joao Felix (120), Sancho (100), Brandt (25), Weigl (30), Felipe Luis (0), Menuier (20), Akanji (40), Rodri (70) and Bruno if the 35mio clause is true.
Total 405mio
Nübel (15) if DeGea leaves

Out: Mata (0), Valencia (0), Herrera (0), Lukaku (70), Sanchez (20), Darmian (10), Rojo (10), Bailly (30), Pereira (15), Fred (40)
Fred only if Bruno is available for 35mio.
Total 195mio.
And I would at 60mio for DeGea. If he wants to leave let him go.

ATT/OM: Rashford, Martial, Joao Felix, Sancho, Lingard, Brandt
CM/DM: Fred(Bruno), Matic, McTominay, Weigl, Rodri
CB: Lindelöf, Smalling, Jones, Akanji
FB: Shaw, Dalot, Menuier, Felipe Luiz, Young
GK: Nübel, Romero, Henderson
Starting XI:
Martial(Brandt)-Rashford-Sancho
Joao Felix(Brandt)
Weigl-Rodri
Felipe Luis-Lindelöf-Akanji-Menuier
Henderson/Nübel

This would be a very talented team which can make the top four and have potential for more.
Pogba?

IrishRedDevil

----------------------De Gea
Meunier -- Alderweireld -- Lindelof -- Shaw
----------------------Neves
---------Fernandes-----------Pogba
Sancho ---------- Rashford -----------Martial

Ish

Lights on for Luke
----------------------De Gea
Meunier -- Alderweireld -- Lindelof -- Shaw
----------------------Neves
---------Fernandes-----------Pogba
Sancho ---------- Rashford -----------Martial
I like the look of that team. I actually came in to post in this thread - if we're ruthless enough, there are actually enough options in the market for us to make the wholesale changes required, within a reasonable budget.

We can sell deadwood and recoup some more money - and we can even try and sign another CB along with Alderweireld.

Options like Meunier, Alderweireld and Bruno Fernandes (heck, even Julian Brandt) seem like options which are too good to turn down - especially in an over inflated market. Alderweireld on a freebie (his contract is up, yeah?), Meunier and Bruno 50-60mil for the pair (going by rumors), then we can blow a fair portion of the budget on a top quality RW and/or DM.

Heck, we could even try and shift Lukaku and bring in another more dependable CF if we need to.

But I just can't see us doing this over 1 window, as much as we all see it as a necessity.

Hammer_st

Pogba also out, because of the flirt with Real Madrid. And it is also hard to integrate him in a team. Often stupid long shots, move to long with the ball, doesnt play the simple passes,...
And he will finance us the makeover. I think he will cost 150mio.

Skåre Willoch

In

What I hope for: Kane, Sancho, Obi Wan, Meunier, Alderweireld, Oblak, Neves

What I think: Bale and Trippier.

Out

What I hope for: Rojo, Darmian, Pereira, Bailly, Valencia, Mata, Herrera

What I think: De Gea, Pogba, Rojo, Pereira, Bailly, Valencia, Mata, Herrera

Emrethis

We go full fergie on this. A world class CB so we don't concede and a world class striker so we can score. Easy.

Sea-Cow

We go full fergie on this. A world class CB so we don't concede and a world class striker so we can score. Easy.
Haha brilliant in its simplicity.

Question becomes, who are these world class options?

Varane & J. Felix -- the young guy from Benfica.

Khoulibay & Sancho?

or Jones and Rashford?

I honestly can't think of any "world-class" strikers that are potentially available. It seems to be a dying breed.

Fosu-Mens

RB: Meunier. £25m. Far better than those we have, seems like a professional, consistent, not bad at anything.
CB: Ake £40m-£50m. Despite being short he can still compete in the air. Left footed/left sided CB. No real weakness in his game. Still young and got lots of experience. Would of.c prefer de Ligt but we know that is not going to happen.
2*CDM/CM: Barella, Brandt, Rodri, Bruno Fernandes(if his clause is to be believed), Sensi and Pellegrini and many more would be improvements compared to the current players we have. All available for a decent fee. All comfortable with the ball in their feet and they can all pass. And they can all run. And fight.
2* attacking players: Sancho, Zaniolo, Jovic and J. Felix are 4 great options we should be after. All 4 good enough to be starters for a team getting top 4 and all 4 would improve the current squad in different positions. (To be honest: We should sell all our attackers bar Rashford and buy these 4. )

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Team needs a complete overhaul. Can’t be done all at once though. Start with the defence. Shore that up then work from there.