What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Gurtej

I have said it before, we won't be challenging for the titles anytime soon unless bought by crazy billionaire and go down Chelsea, man city or PSG route...

Problem is we need to strength in all areas and compete with other good teams (better than us at this stage) who are also in process of rebuilding....

And then the questions is can we integrate all new players (well they can't be worse than current lot)...also I don't know if the manager has the pull (nothing against him, but his CV is far behind the likes of Zidane, pep, Klopp etc)...He needs to prove himself and sadly one of the reason I wanted Pochettino is his ability to get the max out of every player. I guarantee that someone like Son won't have the same impact in other teams, we saw this with Kagwa etc...

Most likely, we won't make top 4 this season....

If I was united board, my main priority would be to have a team capable of finishing top 4 next year without spending a fortune (e.g. 400m net)...we need a team of very good players and good players and we will get it....no point in running after great players as we are not in a position to offer them what others can at this stage....

Pogba is a poison for the team (not entirely his fault)...and Lukaku just doesn't work....Get 200m for both (doable specially if madrid wants pogba)..

Add another 200m of transfer fees (given we hardly spent anything last summer), this is doable without impacting the finances...

Above doesn't assume how much we will get for other deadwood...

Now we see what we can do with the 400m.....Issue, we need to recruit in every bloody department....how hopeless our recruitment strategy's been....

If it was Juventus, they can build a new 11 with this money bacuse they have the intelligence and experience to do it...Ed is just not a football man..we need DoF ASAP.

So lets look at our key need areas, don't even know where to start:

So I am not across all the players we are looking at or we should look at, so please put your two choices in order of preference with some restrictions on spend:

Defense: Spend TGT: 120m net a key, we need to sort it out asap...I expect us to be able to recoup approx. 50m for Darmian, and 3 off Smalling, Jones, Baily, Rojo and Victor...So gross spend close to 170m....We really need to move the deadwood this year...enough..
2 CB: Insert your choices
1 RB: Insert your choices

This will leave us with: 4CB (2 new and 2 of the left over one's), 1 RB (new), 1 LB (Shaw, keep him for this window) and rotation for Young and Dalot...

I don't know if we have any strong kids in the academy to supplement the above, but given we won't have (hopefully) and involvement in Europe, these should be enough..

Midfield: I am confused here as I am not sure what formation we will play next year. The other challenge is that with exception of Pogba (who will fund two purchases), we won't get anything from other players who should or will leave (Matic nothing, Hererra (hope not), nothing, Mata, nothing, just give away Sanchez please)...I would love to take a hit on Fred and sell him for loss but don't think we should make that many changes in one year..

Gross spend (200m, net 50m (Pogba gone)...4 midfielders including RW, LW, depends on how we want to play. We also want to make sure we get a good mix of young and experienced people...We can stop at 3 if budget is too stretched...?

1 Midfield: Insert your choices
2 Midfield: Insert your choices
3 Midfield: Insert your choices
4 Midfield (if possible): Insert your choices

Also, let us know the formation you want to play

Finally: Attack...

Sell Lukaku for 50m, spend wisely gross upto 60-70m (net 20m)....as we need goals....proven goal scorer, doesn't need to be a super star (we won't be able to attract one anyway)..

Some of you might think, this is unrealistic but with proper advanced planning this is possible, however I am sure we didn't go any ground work and will leave it too late again...

The above gives us a net spend close to 200m.....

What you guys think?

P.S.: I don't think we should hold ourselves to go high if an opportunity comes but I doubt that will be the case. I have supported the team since 1999 (yes that year) and will continue to support for life...But we need to be realistic, we are not what we use to be, don't become like Liverpool supporters and like in the past....

Smart recruitment is the key and will change everything....

Last edited:

sp_107

Pogba (140) + Lukaku(70) + Fellaini(10)+Perrera(10)+ Matic(20)+ Darmian(10) +Rojo(10) + Smalling(20)+= 300

Toby(25)+ Meunier(25)+Skriniar(60)

Neves(60)+ Bruno Fernandes(60)+ Auor(60)

Sancho (80) + Zaha(50)+ Werner or Pietek(60) = 480 mil

300-480, on a budget of 180mil this summer we will look a lot better

Don't like to sell Pogba but if he wants to go then cash it

What do you think ?

------------- Werner ------------

Zaha ----------Bruno-------------Sancho

---------Auor---------Neves--------------

Shaw ------Toby-----Skriniar----Meunière

------------------De Gea--------------

With bench like

Rashford/Martial/Greenwood/Lingard/ Lindelof/Dalot/MCT/Herrera/Fred/Jones/Baily

Next year we can look at Martial/Lingard/ / Fred/ Jones / Baily replacements if they don't do well

I wouldn't mind selling Lingard and Fred in this window and get Brooks from Bournemouth !

Last edited:

sp_107

This is probably the most quality squad I've seen so far. That's a title winning squad but it's not so realistic. I like the fact that it's the diamond you chose as I feel with the lack of wingers we have this formation should be our first choice. For me this is more of a realistic summer
De Gea
AWB. Lindelof. Alderweild . Shaw

Rice

Mctominay Pogba

Fernandes

Rashford. Icardi

Then we also sign Lozano as a squad option We wouldn't be spending much but it's a good enough squad to challenge for top 4. If we're challenging for the title though I think we can also realistically get this;

.................................DDG................................

AWB........Linedelof..........Alderweild.......Shaw

................................Neves...............................

....................Rabiot..................Pogba................

..............................Fernandes.............................

................Rashford.............Icardi......................
We also wouldn't be spending much in recruiting this squad whilst looking like it could win a title
Rabiot and Icardi brings lot of baggage which we clearly want at this moment

Could you go and quickly find the alternatives ?

What about Werner / Pietek? and Auor from Lyon

UpWithRivers

I fear we will struggle to attract any big names. Yes we are Manchester United, but let's be honest why sign for us? Money only.
That removes a lot of names.
Secondly we need the right characters. I would love Rabiot but firstly would he actually choose is? And secondly is he the right fit at this stage. Icardi the same.
What's left? Overpriced Prem players? Players that come to die out - Bale etc.
Struggling to see what we can do at this stage. Getting fourth is imperative. But I doubt it will happen

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
We need to clear out the egos and disproportionate earners and start again from a basis of players that want to play for the shirt and can play the way ole wants to play.

Kostov

We need 2-3 transfer windows to clear the shit that has been piled up in this club.

Young, Darmian, Valencia, Jones, Rojo, Matic, Fred, Mata, Lingard all need shipping out.

If Pogba and Lukaku push for a move than feck them and sell, clear them all out.

Overpaid shits that do not deserve to wear this shirt.

Coops73

Ok, I’m not normally into this sort of thang but here goes.

Let’s assume we’ve got 200m to spend (according to some reports)

Sell Lukaku 75m?
Sell Pogba 130m?
Sell Martial 40m?
Sell Dave 100m?

So we’re looking at 545m

Get in Sancho 100m?
Rice 50m?
Alderweireld 25m
Dee lite 100m?
Obi wan Bissaka 50m?
Bruno Fernandes 35m? Don’t really know too much about him but from a few you tube vids, looks tidy.
Luka Jovic 80? See above explanation
Dybala 90m?

If my maths are right that leaves 15m for the Glazers and Woody to spend on a brass and a family bucket of chicken after a night of crunching the numbers in their Mayfair office and who’d blame them after that transfer window.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
In : 315M

1- Keep De Gea
2- Wan Bissaka 50M or Meunier 40M (first is younger, second is better)
3- Alderweireld 35M
4- Rice 50M
5- Ruben Neves 70M
6- Adrien Rabiot free
7- Sancho 110M

Out : 275M

1- Bailly 30M
2- Rojo 15M
3- Jones or Smalling 20/30M
4- Valencia free
5- Darmian 10M
6- Pogba 150M
7- Mata free
8- Herrera free
9- Sanchez pay him to leave
10- Lukaku 50M

Emrethis

All valid points, though I do disagree about the striker. I think we are so woefully short at the back its the priority rebuilding all bar Shaw, barely a clean sheet or any ability to bring the ball out from the back amongst them and its no surprise our goals conceded is so bad and brings little confidence on anybody in front of them.

Although of course the quality is hugely important I think the right partnerships around the field is important too. Its only Rashford and Lingard seem to have a genuine understanding between them. We have had some players in my opinion have been world class for us in partnerships from Stam/JOhnsen - Yorker/Cole - Vidic/Ferdinand as just a few examples where arguably I would argue one of each of those partnerships individually werent great players that were truly top class, though in the partnerships they really really were.

One thing I so think is important is a leader this summer. I see a few pundits like Keane and SOuness saying we need an older, experienced pro for the dressing room to look up to an daspire to be. A brilliant example would have been Cantona with the youngsters....I dont think it is exactly what we need though, I think its more a couple of players that just have leadership abilities and energy on the pitch to raise the crowd and players. Its why I would love us to sign the likes of Ascacibar and Barella, pure energy and heart as well as quality in front of a leader like Koulibaily/De Ligt (yeah I know not happening)/Romagnoli would make a huge differnce to us I feel both in terms of winning the ball back, being sounder defensively and starting the initial phases of moving the ball forward
Fair enough. I do think that our defence is the biggest concern. Ideally, I want a new CB and RB. But I think that if we got a new CB, we could kind of get away with a makeshift RB. But we need a new striker. In order for a team to have a never-say-die attitude, they need a striker they can believe in.

On leaders, I kind of agree. I think we need multiple leaders on the pitch. But it'll be tough. These players will have to come in and immediately be the best players in the team. If not, I don't think they'll get the respect from the other players necessary to control the dressing room. So we need them to adapt quickly to the PL and perform. It'll be expensive and I'm not sure if these players will be available. The club will have to spring a couple of surprises on this one.

It might be easier to just bring in one world-class player who can set the standard. But then again, our players need to be humble enough to learn from his experience. There's no point bringing in a leader, if the other players are just going to do it 'their own way'. The only players who could do this, are probably Ronaldo or Messi, as I don't see any other player who could instantly command respect and fits the bill.

Big big summer ahead. But my priorities are: CB = STRIKER > RB > CM. I hope we get all 4, but at the very least, we need the first 2.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
The majority of this season's squad will still be here next season, so we probably need to bring in new blood, and the right player, in all key areas of the team. RB for me is a must, AWB could be the one in that position, new CB , De Ligt would be a fantastic buy in my opinion. DM or CM, Rice is proven (to a certain extent) in the Prem, so would be a solid signing, I would also look at Brooks and/or Madison, both hard working midfield players who like to get forward. Number 10 or the point in a diamond, Fernandes, looks very good, but would like to see Gomes given a chance there. Sancho would be a good fit for me. I think Greenwood will be fantastic in two years time, but wouldn't want to over play him too much now. Players I would like to go now would be Valencia, Rojo, Darmian, Mata, Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez and Matic, players to go in a year's time would be Young, Jones, Smalling, Fred.

Rocknrolla69er

Ziyech £25m
Tah £40m
Alderweild £25m
Wan-Bissaka £40m (total guess) if too pricey Meunier for £25m
Rice £50m
Barella £40m

Roughly £220m spent as the start of the rebuild, defence alot stronger aggressive and more physical, a threat from the right wing Ziyech assists and goals with pace, mobility at defensive midfield in Rice, box to box energy in Barella

Phase 1 completed

Fer

Is best deployed as a #10 according to the SCP fans.
I need to watch Bruno more. The times I saw him, once he was playing as No.10, but all the others he was a CM in a midfield of 2.

But I'm not a SCP fan, so I'm not sure where he plays more often.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We don't need to spend half a billion to compete. We just need to sort our transfers out and sign the right players rather than just signing them for the sake of signing someone.

Look at Liverpool and their signings. For a long time they signed players without a plan but when they started to get things right, it stuck.

They didn't go for many spectacular signings. Some of their signings like Wijnaldum, Lallana, Milner, Mane and Henderson didn"t have the wow factor in terms of hype of some of the signings we made like Di Maria, Falcao, Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Sanchez but most of the players that they signed have contributed to their development as a team and helped build a solid foundation which was then completed with the signings of Alisson and Van Dijk. Fabinho and Keita were just an added bonus.

We keep buying names instead of what we actually need.

After all that money we spent, you look at our starting lineup and there is nothing to show for it.

Seven Seas Sardines

We need leaders and fighters.

Alderweireld £25m (Rojo)
Meunier £25m (Darmian)
Rice £50m (Herrera)
Sancho £90m (Sanchez)
Icardi £10m (Lukaku)
Greenwood (Mata)

£200m job done.

DDG
Meunier Lindelöf Alderweireld Shaw
Rice
Fred Pogba
Sancho Icardi Martial​

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Transfer Muppet Mode
Obviously won’t happen but this would be a strong spine with electrifying pace up front. Give them a year to play together then watch them tear up the league

Richarlison €70m
Meunier €27m
Alderweireld €25m
Ben Godfrey €15
Rice €35m
Sancho €100m
Daniel James €20m
Bruno €40m

DDG
Godfrey Alderweireld lindelof
Meunier Shaw
Rice
Bruno. Pogba
Sancho. Richarlison James

RedNorseman

I'd love for the club to aim for young and promising players. We've tried signing big names and it seems like we're paying big money for minor gains.

My muppet list for the summer would be:
  • Jadon Sancho - No explanation needed, seems most of us agree on this.
  • Sandro Tonali - One of the most promising DMs around. Plays for Brescia in Serie B, so we don't need to break the bank. Have been called the next Andrea Pirlo.
  • Mathijs de Ligt - Once again, no explanation needed, probably the biggest CD talent right now.
  • Federico Chiesa - Son of Enrico Chiesa. Plays RW as an inside forward. Great with the ball in his feet and has a nose for goals. Will probably evolve into a striker eventually.
  • Aaron Wan Bissaka - Third obvious caf favourite. I don't think there's anyone here that don't think we need to replace Ashley Young.
This list doesn't take into account replacing Pogba or DDG, but rather about additions to the current squad.

Stubble

CB - Koulibaly (cheaper option Toby)
RB - AWB (Meunier if just stopgap needed)
RW - Sancho (if not do-able Lozano)
DMF - Rice (or Kante if available)

If Pogba / Lukaku leave look at Icardi swap and a Pogba replacement.

Let go/ going anway: Darmian, Valencia, Mata, Herrera, Rojo.

Should let go but will stay : Young, Jones, Matic and possibly Lukaku who doesn't fit the system

Fred was great at previous club needs time with more commited players around him I think he can come good. Also need more time Pereira, Martial.

Squad level players to keep - Lingard, Smalling, McTominay. Should not be first choice starters.

Unpopular but would give Sanchez one more season he was a genuine world class player.

Pogba.... Christ knows !!

Last edited:

Fer

It's clear we all want De Ligt and Sancho. They are the dream signings.

But there is a debate with other players and positions.

1. Who would you sign to play next to De Ligt?
2. Do you prefer Meunier or Wan Bissaka?
3. Which available GK could be De Gea replacement if he decides to leave?
4. What's your favorite CDM? Everyone talks about Rice and Neves... Don't you prefer Rodri?
5. If Pogba want to leave. Who is the best (and realistic) midfielder we can get?
6. Do we need 1 winger or another one to compete with Martial?
7. Which formation do you prefer for next season? Diamond? 433? 4231?
8. Who would be out main striker next season? Rashford? Lukaku? Icardi? Félix?
9. What's your top 3 of players to sign?
10. What would be your first Eleven for next season.

RedNorseman

1. Who would you sign to play next to De Ligt?
Lindelöf is fine for now

2. Do you prefer Meunier or Wan Bissaka?
Wan Bissaka, a clear upgrade from Young regardless of his age.

3. Which available GK could be De Gea replacement if he decides to leave?
Oblak is top of my list.

4. What's your favorite CDM? Everyone talks about Rice and Neves... Don't you prefer Rodri?
Like I said in my post above, Sandro Tonali.

5. If Pogba want to leave. Who is the best (and realistic) midfielder we can get?
I'd like to think we could play Kai Havertz in his place.

6. Do we need 1 winger or another one to compete with Martial?
Also like I wrote above, Sancho and Chiesa, one for each side.

7. Which formation do you prefer for next season? Diamond? 433? 4231?
4-3-3

8. Who would be out main striker next season? Rashford? Lukaku? Icardi? Félix?
Given good enough service I think Rashford and Lukaku are enough for now.

9. What's your top 3 of players to sign?
Sancho, AWB and Tonali.

DDG
AWB - Lindelöf - de Ligt - Shaw
Tonali - McTominay - Pogba
Chiesa - Rashford - Sancho
This might not be a title winning side just yet, but I think it would be a good first step towards rebuilding the squad.

Rocknrolla69er

The boards split between two groups it seems, the ones who want the not good enoughs but try hards out first

And the ones who want the bad attitudes, egotistical, lazy, wage leeches out first

Il go with the second lot

Pogba
Matic
Lukaku
SancheZ
Martial
Rojo

Bye bye

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Steer away from the 'muppet' signings we like so much and go for players with a plan to build a functional team in the long run. I'm assuming that Pogba leaves in this scenario.

DDG
Meunier Lindelöf Diop Shaw
Rice Neves
Fekir
Neres Richarlison Martial

Of course, if we don't sell Pogba we probably can't sign that many players. I'm pretty sure we won't sign so many.

Sell: Apart from Mata and Herrera which look very likely, Lukaku, Sanchez, Darmian, early retirement for Young, Rojo and Jones.

The Nani

1. Who would you sign to play next to De Ligt? Alderweireld
2. Do you prefer Meunier or Wan Bissaka? Meunier by a distance
3. Which available GK could be De Gea replacement if he decides to leave? Oblak. If not then Romero
4. What's your favorite CDM? De Jong Everyone talks about Rice and Neves... Don't you prefer Rodri? Of course but does he prefer us
5. If Pogba want to leave. Who is the best (and realistic) midfielder we can get? Ndombele and/or Bruno
6. Do we need 1 winger or another one to compete with Martial? Preferably two but Dalot could also be an option
7. Which formation do you prefer for next season? Diamond? 433? 4231? Depends on signings
8. Who would be out main striker next season? Rashford? Lukaku? Icardi? Félix? Jovic or Milik hopefully
9. What's your top 3 of players to sign? De Ligt, Sancho, Jovic... in that order

IF Pogba and DDG were to both leave...

-------------------Jovic
Tony/Rash-----Bruno-------Sancho

---------Ndombele-Fred/McTom
Shaw Alderweireld De Ligt Meunier
-----------------Romero

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Although I think we needed two defenders, I could only see us realistically sign one.

Bailly's injury looked bad and Rojo once again showed why he shouldn't be allowed on a football pitch.
We really do need two now..

ErranMorad

Young
Darmian
Bailly
Rojo
Jones
Matic
Fred
Sanchez
Martial
Lukaku

Then we have Herrera, Mata and Valencia out of contracts. And Pogba and De Gea, both of whom would be looking for move on. Not a good situation.

How many can we realistically get rid of and replace in the summer? It seems clear from Ole's pressers that there won't be many changes. Another long season coming up, I guess. Don't know what Eddie thinks about losing the adidas money if we miss on the CL again next season.

Need a big big summer.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Time to splash the money.
We supposedly had 100m put aside last summer.
We have whatever budget we have this summer.
We'll make money on player sales.

Time to show we're a club that actually wants to compete for the title and not top 4

Water Melon

We need new coaches, new physios, a new psychologist and sports scientist as well. We are primitive in our play. We can not press collectively and can not withstand press properly. We can not conserve our energy and are poor in our collective play. We have zero cohesion in our team play. We definetely need to either sell DDG or get a new GK coach. If after having brought 3-4 players we see no significant improvement, we will need a new manager too.

jesperjaap

Definitely out: Rojo, Darmian, Herrera, Sanchez, Mata, Valencia - 6 players

Only brings in £20/30m

Probably out: Pogba, Lukaku - 2 players

Brings in £200m

Should be out: Fred, Martial, YOung, JOnes, Matic, Bailly

Brings in £150m

Not even including DeGea but up to 14 players really shouldnt be here, which is to many for one window and wont happen but thats the size of our rebuilding in my opinion.

Possible choices of replacements (quite a few of which we are even less likely to get now with no CL next season):

RB: Bissaka is for me the only player we should be targeting
CB: DeLigt, Koulibaily, Upamecano, ROmagnoli, McGuire, Godfrey
DM: Ascacibar, Rice
CM: Barrella, Fernandes, Tonali, Ndombele, Guimaraes
Attackers: Sancho, Felix, Neres, Lozano, Dybala, Dembele
ST: To be honest really not sure as all the top strikers for me are older ones. From the very little I have seen I really like Moise Kean, Lincoln and Gouiri who would have been my choice just from youth football but he had a big injury this year. The sad thing is from those 20 players, I think we only have a hope of signing half of them at best and though I think its sad players dont go to clubs because of lack of cl football for just one season....it will be of a great detriment this summer and could well still leave us lumbered with Sanchez, Fred, Martial and Matic

Njord

Out:
De Gea, Grant, Young, Valencia, Darmian, Bailly, Rojo, Jones, Herrera, Matic, Pereira, Fred, Mata, Sanchez, Martial.

Get rid of all those who show up when they're bothered, or get injured or sent of every other game. Also those who's just not good enough. These should fetch us about £3-400 million and save us a ton in wages. Build this team:

Henderson/Romero
Wan Bissaka/Dalot - De Ligt/Samlling - Lindelöf/Tuanzebe - Shaw/Chillwel
Rice/McTominay - Pogba/Gibbs-White/Garner
Sancho/Chong - Felix/Gomes - Hudson-Odoi/Sessegnon
Rashford/Lukaku/Greenwood

We won't win anything for a couple of years, but after that we could have one of the greatest teams in the world. Just switch out those who doesn't make the cut every year.

yamo123x

I like the idea of a total rebuild buying up some.of the worlds best up and coming players with and mixing it up with experience.

Sancho, de ligt, and ziyech should be our main targets.

Then id get gibbs white from wolves, wan bisakka from palace and ndombele from lyon.

Nick.

My dad said to me he thinks we would improve if we sold Pogba and signed Tielemans and Rice with the money. I'm not sure about those personnel but I do think if we sold Pogba and added multiple £50-60m players we would improve.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We need new coaches, new physios, a new psychologist and sports scientist as well. We are primitive in our play. We can not press collectively and can not withstand press properly. We can not conserve our energy and are poor in our collective play. We have zero cohesion in our team play. We definetely need to either sell DDG or get a new GK coach. If after having brought 3-4 players we see no significant improvement, we will need a new manager too.
All fairpoints. The problems go so deep you wonderwhat we did the past years

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
———————Romero
———--Lindelöf———De Ligt
Meunier—————————-—Shaw
———————-Rice
———Herrera————Fernandes
———————-Félix
Bale——————————Rashford

jesperjaap

Think the two routes are either we just lose the definite outs like Darmian, Rojo, Valencia, Herrera, Mata & Sanchez and sign 4 - rb,cb,cm,rw

or

We cash in on Lukaku & Pogba and a couple of others too and sign 7/8 players

We need a captain signed in my opinion and we also need an experienced player to inspire. its why a DeLigt or Koulibaily or Romagnoli should be at the top of our list if we have any chance of signing. Also a possible reason why getting Bale on loan for a season isnt such a bad idea.

As for the rest, I am with other posters in that we should be looking at some of the best up and coming players around like Barella, Sancho, Upamecano, Bissaka.....yes personally I would much rather we go down the 9/10 out and 7/8 in route

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Sancho would cost 90M if Dortmund needed cash at all cost and was forced to sell him.
His value is closer to 130/140 right now.

Havak

Pokemon master
As many have eluded to already, we realistically shouldn't be challenging for the title next season. The aim will be trying to bridge the gap to Tottenham, which sounds depressing but it is realistic. They have more quality in their first 13-14 or so players than we do. I'd wager we have better squad depth but that counts for less than most people think it does when you don't have the initial required quality and are challenging on multiple fronts. The issue with our squad is that we have very few players of the required quality but we do have a lot of good players, but mostly average players for what we need to be achieving (Champion's League and top four level players).

However, I can't see how we sort this any time soon? If we are to believe the rumours for every player in discussion, it could look like this:

Herrera - to PSG
de Gea - to Juventus?
Pogba - to Real?
Sanchez - Gone
Lukaku - to Inter?
Darmian - back to Italy?
Bailly - Axed
Rojo - Axed
Valencia - Released
Mata - Released?

10 Players gone in one Summer? And Young/Matic/Jones/Smalling all on people's list to chop out ASAP.

I just cannot see it, it isn't fantasy football. We're stuck with a lot of the shite people want out for another couple of seasons IMO, which is where the problem lies. If we sack off another manager part way through his reign, he won't have the opportunity to axe 5-6 players a year and only keep the absolute best 5-6, whilst buying his own 4-5 each year too. Unless a DoF is in place who manages signing players, keeping contracts updated and helping determine which players are of the required quality and profile for the club, changing the manager just starts this process again or worsens it. You get yourself in a situation where your squad is made up of players signed by four different managers all of whom are capable of getting things out of some of them but not all of them.

If Ole is the guy that's been chosen, the first step is to let him do his three years and get the squad he desires, then judge him if he still can't compete.

I can't see us letting all of those players go because I don't think there will be enough funds to sign enough replacements. If we scrap 10 players, we'd need to sign about eight and in one Summer that's just too much money IMO if most good players are going to cost upwards of £40m. Maybe it's possible if we fetch large enough fees for de Gea, Pogba, and Lukaku at the same time? Otherwise there is just no possibility of it happening.