What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Emrethis

Haha brilliant in its simplicity.

Question becomes, who are these world class options?

Varane & J. Felix -- the young guy from Benfica.

Khoulibay & Sancho?

or Jones and Rashford?

I honestly can't think of any "world-class" strikers that are potentially available. It seems to be a dying breed.
I agree. To be honest, I can't think of any world-class strikers or CBs that I think would be available. I don't consider any of the names thrown about world-class.

We may have to wait till the next window, or develop a new unknown striker. However, no other positions would make a decisive difference in our side. There's no point buying all these players in other positions if we don't have someone to put the ball in the back of the net. So the first priority is buying a striker and CB. Everything else comes after that.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
It speaks volumes that we've spent insane amounts of money and our three starting attackers today were average players from the academy: Rashford, Lingard and Pereira.

A masterclass in mismanagement and a complete lack of succession planning following Fergie and Gill stepping down.

Mainoldo

It speaks volumes that we've spent insane amounts of money and our three starting attackers today were average players from the academy: Rashford, Lingard and Pereira.

A masterclass in mismanagement and a complete lack of succession planning following Fergie and Gill stepping down.
Yes because a team left with Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Tom Cleverley, Kagawa, Nani, Anderson and Zaha is perfect planning for the future! It started before the step down mate.

jesperjaap

I agree. To be honest, I can't think of any world-class strikers or CBs that I think would be available. I don't consider any of the names thrown about world-class.

We may have to wait till the next window, or develop a new unknown striker. However, no other positions would make a decisive difference in our side. There's no point buying all these players in other positions if we don't have someone to put the ball in the back of the net. So the first priority is buying a striker and CB. Everything else comes after that.
Though not world class quite I think there are the likes of Upemecano, AWB, Ballera, Ascacibar, Tonali, Sancho, Lozano even Rice...all examples of players probably £50m odd or under that could be great signings that even without a top four finish we may be able to sign let alone some hugely talented young Brazilian gambles.
ALthough I agree about a striker as Lukaku is awful and Rashford not a natural goalscorer.....we could sign Romario at his peak, if we are not creating any chances, which we arent currently, they cant stick the ball in the back of the net.

I think the defence, midfield and attack all need quality additions as we are so short quality wise all over the pitch due to bad signings, I disagree with many saying talented players, its the attitude...only applies to 2 or 3 for me....generally the players are just hugely over rated by a lot of our fans talent wise.

What worries me is Ole and his "step by step" many have the United DNA there will only be a few additions. I hate to say it as I love him, if we sign four or less and dont clear out several players....he will be gone by next summer as the gap will probably be wider than now, not smaller as the attitude problems mainly still be there and without a couple of youngsters making an instant impact, I woul dsay there are at least 6 positions need seriously upgrading in our first eleven.

We probably have 10-12 good squad players, 2-3 worthy of starting, 2-3 really promising youngsters and a good 10 players who shouldnt be here....problem is the first 11 is made up of about 4 good squad players and 4 players really shouldnt be here.

We need two centre backs....sorry Lindelof isnt good enough to start regularly
A right back which is obvious
A whole new starting midfield and rid of Pogba
Two new attacking players and rid of Lukaku, Martial and Sanchez

Very tough ask, but it IS possible to get the bulk of this done over the summer if we are ruthless moving on players and clever in the transfer market....both of which we havent been for some time

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
---------------DDG
Meunier De Ligt Toby Shaw
------------McTominay
--------Brandt---Pogba
---Sancho--Dybala--Coutinho

25m Meunier
100m De Ligt
30m Toby
21.5m Brandt
100m Sancho
90m Dybala
80m Coutinho

450m new team who dis :drool:

Sea-Cow

Agreed.

And we have an army of scouts out there, so one would think we could identify some f'ing talent.

I for one will not hold my breath.

F'ing depressed man. I need a lie-down. Or just go outside and have a sad. Maybe stare at the wall for a bit.

Fer

In this thread he talked about the players we need. Some suggestions mentioned a new No.10, but that would mean that we play a different formation instead of a 433. Which formation would you use next season?

Emrethis

Though not world class quite I think there are the likes of Upemecano, AWB, Ballera, Ascacibar, Tonali, Sancho, Lozano even Rice...all examples of players probably £50m odd or under that could be great signings that even without a top four finish we may be able to sign let alone some hugely talented young Brazilian gambles.
ALthough I agree about a striker as Lukaku is awful and Rashford not a natural goalscorer.....we could sign Romario at his peak, if we are not creating any chances, which we arent currently, they cant stick the ball in the back of the net.

I think the defence, midfield and attack all need quality additions as we are so short quality wise all over the pitch due to bad signings, I disagree with many saying talented players, its the attitude...only applies to 2 or 3 for me....generally the players are just hugely over rated by a lot of our fans talent wise.

What worries me is Ole and his "step by step" many have the United DNA there will only be a few additions. I hate to say it as I love him, if we sign four or less and dont clear out several players....he will be gone by next summer as the gap will probably be wider than now, not smaller as the attitude problems mainly still be there and without a couple of youngsters making an instant impact, I woul dsay there are at least 6 positions need seriously upgrading in our first eleven.

We probably have 10-12 good squad players, 2-3 worthy of starting, 2-3 really promising youngsters and a good 10 players who shouldnt be here....problem is the first 11 is made up of about 4 good squad players and 4 players really shouldnt be here.

We need two centre backs....sorry Lindelof isnt good enough to start regularly
A right back which is obvious
A whole new starting midfield and rid of Pogba
Two new attacking players and rid of Lukaku, Martial and Sanchez

Very tough ask, but it IS possible to get the bulk of this done over the summer if we are ruthless moving on players and clever in the transfer market....both of which we havent been for some time
Yeah, I agree that our team needs huge improvement in all areas of the pitch. I was just saying that if we're limited to a few signings, then the priority must be a striker and CB.

A CB is obvious so that goes without saying. But a world-class striker is equally important. At the moment, we don't create chances because our strikers turn good balls into bad balls and there's no movement. If Pogba can't find a pass now, even if we bring in KDB, he wouldn't be able to find a pass either.

There have been a lot of names thrown about, and I'm not saying we shouldn't sign them. But we should only sign them if OGS believes that they are or can become truly top class. If not, we'll end up having to replace them next season anyway. This transfer window will be difficult because clubs like Bayern, Real, Arsenal and Juventus rebuilding. We can still make it work, but as you say, the club has to be very clever. To me, that means going for the right players, rather than the best players. We need players, that may not necessarily be world class, but can work together to form a world class team.

On OGS, I don't really bother with what he says in the press regarding transfers. In the first place, I didn't see the point in announcing to the world that we're looking for players. That only tells selling clubs that we're desperate for transfers and makes negotiations more difficult. I would wait and see at the end of the transfer window.

JoaquinJoaquin

Well considering Ole says only 2-3 are coming in, I wouldn't be getting my hopes up for Summer anyways.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Toby
Fernandes
Brooks
Meunier

4 quality players at decent prices. I'd start there. Unfortunately it's not got the strong British core which has been reported in the papers.

I think we desperately need a striker on top of that. Would love Piatek or Jovic but both probably unlikely.

JoaquinJoaquin

Toby
Fernandes
Brooks
Meunier

4 quality players at decent prices. I'd start there. Unfortunately it's not got the strong British core which has been reported in the papers.

I think we desperately need a striker on top of that. Would love Piatek or Jovic but both probably unlikely.
Would those 4 take us up a level though? I agree with Toby and Meunier, but think we need some proven quality to go with those 2.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Would those 4 take us up a level though? I agree with Toby and Meunier, but think we need some proven quality to go with those 2.
I think Brooks is going to be outstanding and better than what we have on the right already by some distance.

Fernandes has scored nearly 30 at Sporting this season but he is a risk. Will he translate in the Prem? It's the unknown but if his release clause is indeed 35m then he's a no brainer.

Kaglish10

I think Brooks is going to be outstanding and better than what we have on the right already by some distance.

Fernandes has scored nearly 30 at Sporting this season but he is a risk. Will he translate in the Prem? It's the unknown but if his release clause is indeed 35m then he's a no brainer.
I would rather a visionary controller with a good work rate which Fernandes is not. Fernandes is no different from Gylfi Sigurdsson.

efugelso

Sell Rojo and Darmian. Sanchez as well because of his wages. Valencia will leave on a free, it will be interesting to see if Mata and Herrera both leave as well. The Spanish contingent breaking up can be the reason De Gea is reluctant to sign a new contract. Either way, both he and Pogba has to sign up, or they would have to be sold. I trust that Romero would do a good job for us next season if so. Liverpool sold Coutinho and got Van Dijk + Alisson for roughly the same amount of money. Selling Pogba could give us that possibility as well, seeing how we have so many positions that we need to strengthen.

RB: Wan-Bissaka. Youcef Atal from Nice has some incredible stats for a full-back, although I haven't seen him play. Wan-Bissaka would be a great, and a safe choice IMO.
RW: Sancho. Lozano can play there as well, and it seems that he would love to play for United, which I like.
CM: Houssem Aouar from Lyon looks incredible, lots of composure, great passing and the ability to go past people. B. Fernandes, Neves and Rodri are all great players it seems, but I don't know what system Ole is planning us to play next year so it is difficult to say who we should go for.
CB: No idea. Koulibaly and De Ligt would be fantastic but difficult. Many names have been mentioned but those two are the only people that I would feel really confident about.

We obviously need more than that, but then I also believe that we need more than one year in order to compete with City and Liverpool.

Woziak

The irony is all of all the players mentioned, it doesn't really mean anything if there is a cancer at the top of the club. How many fans just on this thread were delirious when Van Gaal was first appointed and signed Di Maria, Falcao, Scwheinsteiger. The same when Jose started spurting out how 'He Wants it all!' and then we signed Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez and Lukaku!

Some of these players like Sanchez and Lukaku had done it in the PL but just could not cope with the weight of expectation that comes with playing for United. This is our problem leadership from the top with delayed contracts, Ridiculous media coverage has lead to this great club falling from grace in just 7 years.

Solutions, Woodward must be sacked and preferably the Glaziers go as well but we as fans must get a reality check, there is no quick fix by signing 6 or 7 players and then releasing or indeed selling 8 or 9 players!
The club even by spendind £350M on Koulibaly, Alderweireld, W Bisaaka, Saul, Erickssen, Sancho and Bale will only guarantee that half the team have never played together or possibly under a relatively inexperienced CL and PL Manager simply can not follow out his limited instructions and tactics. No that is not the answer, instead we need to try and buy 5 or 6 of the right type of players. I agree with a British core of maybe, W Bissaka, D Rice, J Sancho, J Maddison and 1 or 2 Foreign Elite and emerging players like CB De Ligt and No 10 Felix.

By investing in young players and then promoting youth from within, it gives the management a chance to build a younger more energetic squad with good character brought up the united way.

The fans need to realise this can not result in overnight success but instead could take 2 or 3 years for United to become a consistent Top 3 club once more, after all after Sir Alex left our average League position has been 4.8, so a premier league finish somewhere between 4th and 6th this year is somewhat to be expected with the Clowns that currently run the Club!

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

What we need going forward ranked for importance:
1. New owners.
2. New CEO/CEO stops medling in footballdecisions and appoint a DoF externally.
3. Coaches/Manager able to learn the team to control the game and press. Fast counterattacking is effective only when you have the oppertunity, not against teams parking the bus.
4. IF the club had some sense: 15 players out and 11 players in.
Players out: DDG (Clearly wants to leave and we should sell him while we can get a decent fee for him), Young, Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Darmian, Valencia, Matic, Fred, Martial, Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata, Lingard and Pogba(If we can get what he is worth).
Players in: Oblak, Meunier, Alderweireld, Ake, Barella, Rodri, Bruno, Zaniolo, Felix, Sancho(Or wait till next season), Jovic.

Team should be good enough for top 4 next season. And then build on that. But anything we do does not matter as long as the owners do not care about performances and winning throphies.

buckooo1978

by the time we get our act together (if we do at all) Koulibaly, De Ligt, etc, etc will have moved already

Bayern, Madrid are shopping big this summer, City will replace Kompany, Liverpool will be looking for a CB to partner Van Dijk and maybe more depth in attack, Barca have already brought in De Ligt

we might need to rely on the scraps and overpay on the players that the well organised teams don't want

where is the Director of Football Woodward?

Rocknrolla69er

Imperative we identify a system then buy players to fit it

Then we need the weed clearance, i feel some players feel they are either bigger than United or can do better, or are here for just the wage or what they can get.

I think there maybe a little social circle that has abit of all the above, mixed ith players who have stagnated or simply arnt good enough or dont fit Oles system, your left with one hell of a clusterfeck.

That team selection was Ole picking what he thought where his most honest team.

For me the wage grabbers and mercenarys need to go now the ones with the questionable attitudes, the lack of motivation and the were doing United a favour by staying.
Sanchez, Lukaku, De Gaea,Martial, Matic ,Pogba and Rojo

Followed by the not good enoughs
Darmien, Jones, Young, Fred

Obviously a huge rebuild, lets hope Ole gets the backing and time

My main outs for this summer, aside from the out of contracts such as Herrera and Mata would be breaking the weed garden up, Sanchez, Matic, Martial and Lukaku and if Pogba and De gaea dont want to be apart of United thank you and cash in.

Dan600

I feel a need to update myself here, if I've even posted an opinion before, but I have gone along with the 5 signings in the summer theory until now. I feel we need a few more than that currently. I'm not going to get fully into backstage politics, sale of the club etc, I'm just going to focus on the playing/football side.

First with Mike Phelan potentially being technical director, as much as that helps Ole somewhat, if that is the case I would still want to see Ole being given a replacement assistant. Carrick and McKenna are fine, but given the level of player we should be dealing with, we need an older more experienced head to assist Ole and Co. So that should be high up the list.

Second, in an ideal world we need Ole to be given time, even if we struggle initially with a closer to mid table finish, we need to persist well into his second full season, anything else would just further damage the club. If we sack Ole in his first full season we go back to square one, and I'm not talking Post Fergie, I'm talking pre Fergie and even Pre Big Ron. We have to persist.

Now onto the fun part, the playing staff, I'm going to break down 2 summer windows, following a dream pattern, but it may not be possible, signings intended for the second season may get approached by other clubs beforehand in which case we should either make a move ourselves, or consider a secondary target. It's vital we sort out our defence so that's where I attempt to start.

This Summer
Ins:
Chilwell £40M
AWB £50M
Alderweireld £25M
Ake £40M
Fraser £40M
Griezmann £120M
Kante £60M
--------------------
£375M

Outs: Valencia Free
Herrera Free :mad:
Mata Free
Sanchez Equivalent to Free after we subsidise the wage
Lukaku £50M+ if possible
De Gea £100M (Hopefully that much if he goes. It's unfortunate but I think all the talk of his 2 amigos Mata and Herrera leaving could actually be having a big impact on his form. If he sees the new signings being made and can see a road to success he may just turn and sign a new contract this summer, but we have to wait and see)
Bailly £25M
Rojo £2M if we are lucky, I imagine he could be going back to Argentina on a free...
Darmian £5M
Jones £5-15M or more, The Home Grown quota may actually help us with his valuation.
Matic £20M Maybe?
------------------------------
Including De Gea £217M roughly
Without De Gea £117M

Squad Depth:
GK
Romero, Pereira, Grant, De Gea? (If De Gea stays because we don't get an acceptable offer, Pereira can get another loan. Henderson ideally stays on loan with Sheffield United in the top flight)

LB Chilwell -- Shaw -- Dalot -- Young

RB Wan Bissaka -- Dalot -- Young

CB Alderweireld, Ake, Lindelöf, Smalling, One of Tuanzebe/Fosu Mensah (Probably Fosu Mensah, then he can also be 3rd choice right back, reducing the need for Young, but keeping him around for his experience, to help the younger players. Would allow Tuanzebe to hopefully get a PL Loan this season too)

DM/CM Kante -- Pogba -- Pereira -- McTominay -- Fred -- Garner/Gomes

RW Rashford -- Fraser -- Lingard -- Chong (The idea of Bringing in a player like Fraser is that he has that energy and fight. Ideally he would be pushing for first choice, sometimes keeping a Rashford or Martial out of the team, forcing them to improve/be consistent)

LW Griezmann -- Martial -- Rashford -- Chong
(I would keep Chong around the squad one more season give him a chance to work with the likes of Griezmann, see if he can break into the squad. If he struggles, I would send him out on a loan the following season or in January)

ST Griezmann -- Rashford -- Martial -- Greenwood (Same as with Chong, although if anything given the amount of ability Greenwood is said to have, moreso for him, I would hope he could break into the team at some point)

The Second Summer Window
This hinges on a lot of ifs and buts. I want to see the likes of Chong and Greenwood given opportunities to see if they are up to the challenge. If they struggle I would make a couple of experienced signings and send them out on loans, in order to give them experience and keep our team competitive. They need the first season under Ole here though, if they are ready they are ready, they need to be given the opportunity in order to find out. So There are a couple of starred signings that would hinge on other player's performance in the next season.

Ins:
Oblak* £120M (This move would hinge on the performances of both Romero and Henderson, presuming De Gea moves on or already has. If Romero proves himself capable then fine, and if Henderson succeeds in a PL Loan bring him back)
Sancho* £60-100M (Again depends on our other players' performances. If Martial/Rashford don't kick on then I would bring Sancho in as a replacement for Martial. I would sign him second season rather than the first because I believe the hype will have died down, and Dortmund may lower their asking price by this point. Again this move also relies on younger players like Chong not developing, if Chong excels then we may not need or want Sancho at this point)
Maguire* £50M (As above, only this time asking have Tuanzebe/Fosu Mensah improved, is Toby Alderweireld staying injury free? I feel again we may save on a 3rd CB at this point because Tuanzebe will have kicked on)
Neves* £50-60M (If Fred still hasn't adjusted, and Pereira leaves due to lack of game time, I would be looking to bring in Neves. And as above, dependant on Garner/Gomes and whether they can force there way into the team. Or if Pogba packs his bags.)
Extra Midfielder £75M Maximum (If Pogba leaves, and Pereira or Fred move on as above, I would like to see an extra midfielder in on top)
Some form of back up striker* £20-40M (if Greenwood doesn't kick on, and the likes of Martial need moving on, I would like to see us sign another striker happy to be a back up, but with a good scoring record, maybe an older striker entering his twilight)

Dependant on how other youngsters perform, I reckon this would also be the point to bring in a couple more academy players in Aliou Traore, and Brandon Williams, in order to get a fresh pair of legs in to replace Young who will be close to joining coaching staff/leaving at this point I imagine, and to get Traore in and around Pogba/Kante, learning from them.

Outs: (* means hinging on performances in 19/20, would be sold if they don't kick on)
Smalling £5-10M
Young Free/Retire
Grant Free
Pogba * £125M​
(If he demands a move even after being joined by Kante and Griezmann)​

Martial* £70-80M (I may be optimistic based on this being due to poor performances)
Fred* £25-30M
Fosu-Mensah* £10-15M
Garner* Sold or Loaned
Gomes* Sold or Loaned

Squad Depth:
GK Oblak/Henderson/De Gea -- Romero -- Henderson/Pereira/O'Hara (If he doesn't leave for 1st team footie, otherwise Henderson or another Youngster)

LB Chilwell -- Shaw -- Dalot -- Williams

RB Wan Bissaka -- Dalot -- TFM/Williams

CB Maguire/Tuanzebe -- Ake -- Alderweireld -- Lindelof

DM/CM Kante -- Pogba/Neves -- Pereira -- Fred/Neves -- McTominay -- Garner/Gomes/Traore

RW Rashford -- Fraser -- Lingard -- Chong

LW Martial/Sancho -- Griezmann -- Rashford -- Chong -- Lingard

ST Griezmann -- Rashford -- Martial/Sancho -- Greenwood/Experienced Backup

SECOND WINDOW NET SPEND:
Would be looking at £425M rough spend if everything goes wrong and we lose Pogba, get rid of Martial and Fred, and whoever else. Could be looking at a net spend of around £170M in the second season in a worst case scenario.

Somewhere in between we could lose Pogba and maybe Pereira and need a couple new midfielders again. This could be looking at almost break even depending on who we sign.

In a best case scenario, i.e. we challenge for the title and the likes of Greenwood, Tuanzebe and Romero/Henderson step up (or De Gea stays and starts to perform again), Martial/Rashford and the like find consistency, we may not need any signings. So this second season is truly entirely pivotal on the first.

Yeah, that's what I think we need. Maybe I went a little overboard with detail? :lol:

I just felt the need to convey why I think Ole needs 2 seasons, because he has had 6 months to judge a large part of his squad. But he still needs to keep an eye on the development of the youngsters, as well as the likes of Martial and Rashford, and whether they can step up to the next level and find that consistency that we so desperately need. If those sorts don't step up, Ole needs that second season at least, to rectify the problems, and get rid of those who can't reach a consistently appropriate level of performance, and bring in the appropriate replacements. He isn't Thanos, he can't snap his fingers and we have the perfect squad in the summer.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I feel a need to update myself here, if I've even posted an opinion before, but I have gone along with the 5 signings in the summer theory until now. I feel we need a few more than that currently. I'm not going to get fully into backstage politics, sale of the club etc, I'm just going to focus on the playing/football side.

First with Mike Phelan potentially being technical director, as much as that helps Ole somewhat, if that is the case I would still want to see Ole being given a replacement assistant. Carrick and McKenna are fine, but given the level of player we should be dealing with, we need an older more experienced head to assist Ole and Co. So that should be high up the list.

Second, in an ideal world we need Ole to be given time, even if we struggle initially with a closer to mid table finish, we need to persist well into his second full season, anything else would just further damage the club. If we sack Ole in his first full season we go back to square one, and I'm not talking Post Fergie, I'm talking pre Fergie and even Pre Big Ron. We have to persist.

Now onto the fun part, the playing staff, I'm going to break down 2 summer windows, following a dream pattern, but it may not be possible, signings intended for the second season may get approached by other clubs beforehand in which case we should either make a move ourselves, or consider a secondary target. It's vital we sort out our defence so that's where I attempt to start.

This Summer
Ins:
Chilwell £40M
AWB £50M
Alderweireld £25M
Ake £40M
Fraser £40M
Griezmann £120M
Kante £60M
--------------------
£375M

Outs: Valencia Free
Herrera Free :mad:
Mata Free
Sanchez Equivalent to Free after we subsidise the wage
Lukaku £50M+ if possible
De Gea £100M (Hopefully that much if he goes. It's unfortunate but I think all the talk of his 2 amigos Mata and Herrera leaving could actually be having a big impact on his form. If he sees the new signings being made and can see a road to success he may just turn and sign a new contract this summer, but we have to wait and see)
Bailly £25M
Rojo £2M if we are lucky, I imagine he could be going back to Argentina on a free...
Darmian £5M
Jones £5-15M or more, The Home Grown quota may actually help us with his valuation.
Matic £20M Maybe?
------------------------------
Including De Gea £217M roughly
Without De Gea £117M

Squad Depth:
GK
Romero, Pereira, Grant, De Gea? (If De Gea stays because we don't get an acceptable offer, Pereira can get another loan. Henderson ideally stays on loan with Sheffield United in the top flight)

LB Chilwell -- Shaw -- Dalot -- Young

RB Wan Bissaka -- Dalot -- Young

CB Alderweireld, Ake, Lindelöf, Smalling, One of Tuanzebe/Fosu Mensah (Probably Fosu Mensah, then he can also be 3rd choice right back, reducing the need for Young, but keeping him around for his experience, to help the younger players. Would allow Tuanzebe to hopefully get a PL Loan this season too)

DM/CM Kante -- Pogba -- Pereira -- McTominay -- Fred -- Garner/Gomes

RW Rashford -- Fraser -- Lingard -- Chong (The idea of Bringing in a player like Fraser is that he has that energy and fight. Ideally he would be pushing for first choice, sometimes keeping a Rashford or Martial out of the team, forcing them to improve/be consistent)

LW Griezmann -- Martial -- Rashford -- Chong
(I would keep Chong around the squad one more season give him a chance to work with the likes of Griezmann, see if he can break into the squad. If he struggles, I would send him out on a loan the following season or in January)

ST Griezmann -- Rashford -- Martial -- Greenwood (Same as with Chong, although if anything given the amount of ability Greenwood is said to have, moreso for him, I would hope he could break into the team at some point)

The Second Summer Window
This hinges on a lot of ifs and buts. I want to see the likes of Chong and Greenwood given opportunities to see if they are up to the challenge. If they struggle I would make a couple of experienced signings and send them out on loans, in order to give them experience and keep our team competitive. They need the first season under Ole here though, if they are ready they are ready, they need to be given the opportunity in order to find out. So There are a couple of starred signings that would hinge on other player's performance in the next season.

Ins:
Oblak* £120M (This move would hinge on the performances of both Romero and Henderson, presuming De Gea moves on or already has. If Romero proves himself capable then fine, and if Henderson succeeds in a PL Loan bring him back)
Sancho* £60-100M (Again depends on our other players' performances. If Martial/Rashford don't kick on then I would bring Sancho in as a replacement for Martial. I would sign him second season rather than the first because I believe the hype will have died down, and Dortmund may lower their asking price by this point. Again this move also relies on younger players like Chong not developing, if Chong excels then we may not need or want Sancho at this point)
Maguire* £50M (As above, only this time asking have Tuanzebe/Fosu Mensah improved, is Toby Alderweireld staying injury free? I feel again we may save on a 3rd CB at this point because Tuanzebe will have kicked on)
Neves* £50-60M (If Fred still hasn't adjusted, and Pereira leaves due to lack of game time, I would be looking to bring in Neves. And as above, dependant on Garner/Gomes and whether they can force there way into the team. Or if Pogba packs his bags.)
Extra Midfielder £75M Maximum (If Pogba leaves, and Pereira or Fred move on as above, I would like to see an extra midfielder in on top)
Some form of back up striker* £20-40M (if Greenwood doesn't kick on, and the likes of Martial need moving on, I would like to see us sign another striker happy to be a back up, but with a good scoring record, maybe an older striker entering his twilight)

Dependant on how other youngsters perform, I reckon this would also be the point to bring in a couple more academy players in Aliou Traore, and Brandon Williams, in order to get a fresh pair of legs in to replace Young who will be close to joining coaching staff/leaving at this point I imagine, and to get Traore in and around Pogba/Kante, learning from them.

Outs: (* means hinging on performances in 19/20, would be sold if they don't kick on)
Smalling £5-10M
Young Free/Retire
Grant Free
Pogba * £125M
(If he demands a move even after being joined by Kante and Griezmann)

Martial* £70-80M (I may be optimistic based on this being due to poor performances)
Fred* £25-30M
Fosu-Mensah* £10-15M
Garner* Sold or Loaned
Gomes* Sold or Loaned

Squad Depth:
GK Oblak/Henderson/De Gea -- Romero -- Henderson/Pereira/O'Hara (If he doesn't leave for 1st team footie, otherwise Henderson or another Youngster)

LB Chilwell -- Shaw -- Dalot -- Williams

RB Wan Bissaka -- Dalot -- TFM/Williams

CB Maguire/Tuanzebe -- Ake -- Alderweireld -- Lindelof

DM/CM Kante -- Pogba/Neves -- Pereira -- Fred/Neves -- McTominay -- Garner/Gomes/Traore

RW Rashford -- Fraser -- Lingard -- Chong

LW Martial/Sancho -- Griezmann -- Rashford -- Chong -- Lingard

ST Griezmann -- Rashford -- Martial/Sancho -- Greenwood/Experienced Backup

SECOND WINDOW NET SPEND:
Would be looking at £425M rough spend if everything goes wrong and we lose Pogba, get rid of Martial and Fred, and whoever else. Could be looking at a net spend of around £170M in the second season in a worst case scenario.

Somewhere in between we could lose Pogba and maybe Pereira and need a couple new midfielders again. This could be looking at almost break even depending on who we sign.

In a best case scenario, i.e. we challenge for the title and the likes of Greenwood, Tuanzebe and Romero/Henderson step up (or De Gea stays and starts to perform again), Martial/Rashford and the like find consistency, we may not need any signings. So this second season is truly entirely pivotal on the first.

Yeah, that's what I think we need. Maybe I went a little overboard with detail? :lol:

I just felt the need to convey why I think Ole needs 2 seasons, because he has had 6 months to judge a large part of his squad. But he still needs to keep an eye on the development of the youngsters, as well as the likes of Martial and Rashford, and whether they can step up to the next level and find that consistency that we so desperately need. If those sorts don't step up, Ole needs that second season at least, to rectify the problems, and get rid of those who can't reach a consistently appropriate level of performance, and bring in the appropriate replacements. He isn't Thanos, he can't snap his fingers and we have the perfect squad in the summer.

Which season will you get rid of Lingard? Or is he on for a testimonial?

Dan600

Which season will you get rid of Lingard? Or is he on for a testimonial?
He falls in the same category as Martial/Fred really, got another season to find some consistency or can go. I am wary of letting someone like Lingard go though. He is normally a positive likeable character and most people in the squad appear to really like. I worry what the impact of selling a Lingard would have on the likes of Pogba, Rashford, well... a lot of our squad actually. I worry it may do more damage to sell him than keep him as a back up.

Rocknrolla69er

Suitable replacements for

Pogba head turned
De Gaea head turned. Romero
Sanchez disaster. Greenwood
Lukaku not good enough
Matic hearts not in it. Garner
Martial hearts not in it
Rojo Wage leach. Tuanzabe
Darmien Italy bound. Laird
Herrera out of contract.
Mata out of contract Chong
Valencia out of contract

And thats before you even get to the likes of Young and Jones who will get a stay of execution, ive listed possible youth promotions who are by no means replacements

Massive massive task Ole

But id start with solid if unspectacular, lets forget Sancho, De ligt we are not competing or signing them this summer

Toby £25m
Manolas £32m
Meunier £30m should give us upgrades right across the back 4

Ziyech £25m
Barella £50m
Rice £50m and Bailly or someone we dont need.

£200m outlay 6 signings, cental defence, right back, defensive midfield, central midfield and right wing all addressed.

Last edited:

Dan600

Kante for 60m :lol:
:confused:

You suggesting it’s too high a value? If so then fair enough.

He’s 28, the same age as Matic when we bought him. He’s being played out of position at Chelsea, and doesn’t fit Sarri’s system. I presume Sarri may well look to replace him with someone who does this summer so Kante could be available

jesperjaap

Yeah, I agree that our team needs huge improvement in all areas of the pitch. I was just saying that if we're limited to a few signings, then the priority must be a striker and CB.

A CB is obvious so that goes without saying. But a world-class striker is equally important. At the moment, we don't create chances because our strikers turn good balls into bad balls and there's no movement. If Pogba can't find a pass now, even if we bring in KDB, he wouldn't be able to find a pass either.

There have been a lot of names thrown about, and I'm not saying we shouldn't sign them. But we should only sign them if OGS believes that they are or can become truly top class. If not, we'll end up having to replace them next season anyway. This transfer window will be difficult because clubs like Bayern, Real, Arsenal and Juventus rebuilding. We can still make it work, but as you say, the club has to be very clever. To me, that means going for the right players, rather than the best players. We need players, that may not necessarily be world class, but can work together to form a world class team.

On OGS, I don't really bother with what he says in the press regarding transfers. In the first place, I didn't see the point in announcing to the world that we're looking for players. That only tells selling clubs that we're desperate for transfers and makes negotiations more difficult. I would wait and see at the end of the transfer window.

All valid points, though I do disagree about the striker. I think we are so woefully short at the back its the priority rebuilding all bar Shaw, barely a clean sheet or any ability to bring the ball out from the back amongst them and its no surprise our goals conceded is so bad and brings little confidence on anybody in front of them.

Although of course the quality is hugely important I think the right partnerships around the field is important too. Its only Rashford and Lingard seem to have a genuine understanding between them. We have had some players in my opinion have been world class for us in partnerships from Stam/JOhnsen - Yorker/Cole - Vidic/Ferdinand as just a few examples where arguably I would argue one of each of those partnerships individually werent great players that were truly top class, though in the partnerships they really really were.

One thing I so think is important is a leader this summer. I see a few pundits like Keane and SOuness saying we need an older, experienced pro for the dressing room to look up to an daspire to be. A brilliant example would have been Cantona with the youngsters....I dont think it is exactly what we need though, I think its more a couple of players that just have leadership abilities and energy on the pitch to raise the crowd and players. Its why I would love us to sign the likes of Ascacibar and Barella, pure energy and heart as well as quality in front of a leader like Koulibaily/De Ligt (yeah I know not happening)/Romagnoli would make a huge differnce to us I feel both in terms of winning the ball back, being sounder defensively and starting the initial phases of moving the ball forward

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Seen things lately for:
  • Meunier - £25m
  • Wan Bissaka - £50m?
  • Trippier - £20m?
  • Gueye - £30m
  • Icardi - Lukaku Swap
  • Alderweireld - £25m
  • Bruno Fernandes - £60m?
  • Sancho - £100m?
  • Joao Felix - £60m?
  • Saul - £70m?
  • Rodri - £65m?
  • Richarlison
  • Koulibaly
5 is the amount that I think we need and is possible tbf, so of those above, I could see a summer of Meunier, Icardi, Bruno Fernandes, Gueye, Koulibaly, with Lukaku and Pogba as notable players leaving on top of the contract issues.

In terms of preference, a dream summer would be something like:
  • Sancho
  • Ruben Neves
  • Meunier/Wan Bissaka
  • Saul
  • Koulibaly
Unrealistic as I can't see us spending the £350-400m required for that group... even if we sold Lukaku and Pogba.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To me let’s start from the back first.

DDG
Meunier De Ligt Maguire Shaw
McT/Herrera Rice
Eriksen Pogba Sancho
Rashford

We can always change the formation to two up front or three at the back if there is injury.

Meunier (cheap) -> €25m
De Ligt (ball playing) -> £90m
Maguire (ball playing) -> £50m
Rice (hard working & DM) -> £50m
Eriksen (creativity & hard working) -> swap deal with Martial
Sancho (winger) -> £90m Cheaper option, Zaha.

£300m initial budget is given.

We have spent money on Lukaku & Zlatan and it hasn’t been working. This time, we should give Rashford one full season playing as a striker with both either Sanchez or Lukaku & Greenwood to back him up. If it doesn’t work out then sign a top striker next following summer.

Fer

Sancho £125m
Bruno £30m
Meunier £20m
De Ligt £100m
Alderweireld £25m

Team totally transformed for £300m.

Is that really too much ask? :(
I would add a forward like Felix (considering Alexis/Lukaku could leave).

Who would be your CDM for next season?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
A sign of the times when the transfer widow is coming up and yet again it feels like we need a whole new rebuild.

Positions that need strengthening: 2 x CB / RB / CM / RW / ST

I doubt we're getting 6 players in.

I just hope that whoever we sign, we go all out for the best possible option, and not more stop gaps.

The Nani

Yeah, admittedly no steel added to midfield. But I would glady go with what we have now if it meant adding that kind of quality to defense and attack. Even if Herrera leaves. There’s also the prospect of Dalot and Meunier down the right with Sancho on the left which would add cutting edge and balance to both flanks.

De Ligt alone would add more to buildup than most available CM options.

I would add a forward like Felix (considering Alexis/Lukaku could leave).

Who would be your CDM for next season?
I’ve gone off Felix. Too young and similar to Greenwood. I’d love a striker, but it would need to be someone ready-made like Jovic or even Milik. Doubt the budget would allow for that even if Lukaku does leave though.

As for CDM, I really don’t see a proper, gettable option out there aside from maybe Ndombele who seems very similar to Fred. That said, if Lyon are actually interested in Bailly I wouldn’t mind a player plus cash deal.

Just need to add Rabiot on a free
No thanks. We have enough divas.

Last edited:
He falls in the same category as Martial/Fred really, got another season to find some consistency or can go. I am wary of letting someone like Lingard go though. He is normally a positive likeable character and most people in the squad appear to really like. I worry what the impact of selling a Lingard would have on the likes of Pogba, Rashford, well... a lot of our squad actually. I worry it may do more damage to sell him than keep him as a back up.
He's 26 he's not going to find any consistency, this is who he is.